Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Looks good! Lots of options to try out with two mountains. Depending on what units you want. Probably need Dawnriders or eels or something if you go full Alarith otherwise. 

But a mixed list should also work fine, and maybe throw some people off initially.

Second pre-orders are done: 2 x Avalenor, 2 x Stonemage, 3 x Stoneguard. That's enough for my purposes at least for now, maybe I’ll buy a few more Stoneguard later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, l1censetochill said:

Making progress through the Dawnriders over the past couple weeks, but it's been very slow going - I concur with everyone who has pointed out how laborious they are to assemble and paint. While a lot of my original lists included two units of them, I definitely won't be subjecting myself to painting another 5 (at least not any time soon). Still, I'm happy with the results so far:

9ExmzA8.jpg

Not perfect, but for the difficulty level I'm satisfied. I'm probably going to switch over to working on Eltharion now, just to have some fun and cleanse my palate before trying to finish the last 2.

Also, my LGS got their Lumineth delivered today! Just got back from picking up my pre-order:

8MUMuOB.jpg

So I've got a whole lot of painting ahead still... but I figure hey, once I survive the Dawnriders, the rest of the army should be a cakewalk!

Looks like you ordered the same as me (10 wardens, 20 sentinels, cathaller and warscrolls). Edit (just noticed it was wardens and not sentinels in the bottom of the package.

I found the Warhammer tv youtube guide different to the book guide. At least for ymetrica.... But I might steal their suggestion of painting skeleton horde over the whole model! 

Edited by Howdyhedberg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

How about something like this?

• Eltharion
  • Stonemage
  • Avalenor
  • Spirit of the Mountain
  • 10x Stoneguard
  • 20x Wardens
  • 20x Sentinels
  • 5x Dawnriders
  • Sanctum of Amyntok

Total: 1930

Looking at your list, I feel like you might want to consider dropping the Sanctum and take another 5 Stoneguard with the points you save (and run them as either units of 10 and 5 or 3x5, to give you enough units to spread out on battleplans with a lot of objectives). One of the downsides of running 2 Spirits is that you'll inevitably lack bodies, so I think a few more Stoneguard might help.

If you wanted to go a step further, you might consider taking out Eltharion and putting in an additional 5 Stoneguard (so you can go 2x10, keep one unit by each Spirit and get maximum benefits from the Command Ability) and the Alarith Temple battalion (so you can have each of the Stoneguard units re-rolling saves). I figure with two Spirits already, you aren't going to be lacking for sturdy melee heroes.

4 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Looks like you ordered the same as me (10 wardens, 20 sentinels, cathaller and warscrolls). Edit (just noticed it was wardens and not sentinels in the bottom of the package.

I found the Warhammer tv youtube guide different to the book guide. At least for ymetrica.... But I might steal their suggestion of painting skeleton horde over the whole model! 

Pretty close - there's actually another box of Sentinels in there as well, so in total it's the Cathallar, 2 boxes of Wardens, and 2 boxes of Sentinels. I figure that'll be plenty to keep me busy for at least a few months, after which I can re-assess... though admittedly, I'll probably be back in there Sunday to order at least one of each of the Alarith units, since I really can't wait to paint those guys (especially the Stonemage).

• Like 2

I like element games, since they have a decent discount and because of the ways Brexit affected the Pound i now have a near universal 30% discount on all things i order from them. i can buy 2 mountain spirits for slightly less than what a bloodthirster normally costs, kinda crazy.

Edited by Captaniser

I’ve decided to get myself a lumineth force.

What I’m going for is:

1 Avalenor

2 stonemage

25 stoneguard

2 spirit of the mountain

total points: 1800

I’ve ordered 1 stonemage 10 stoneguard and 2 spirits so far (1010 total) to start off my collection. I don’t think they’ll be very competitive seeing as it’s a very small very elite army and very slow list.

• Like 2

Seems fun though. Things I’d probably change if you wanted it to perform a little better (though we don’t know yet tbh until we can properly play them), is 1 less spirit, 5 more Stoneguard for 3 groups of 10, the Alarith battalion and then the rest of the points spent on Sentinels for some ranged support.

However, what you’ve got sounds fun and could do well, 3 mountains will be pretty scary for your opponent, and would look pretty damn awesome. 

holy carp on a canoe batman, Those prices! Dear lord I expected 5 guys to be 50$, why in the hell are they 60?! at least the moo mountain is reasonably priced, but ****** me till I ****** that will be $120 for a squad of 10! who the heck thought that the warden build would be the cheaper option?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Have any of you adjusted your purchasing plans due to the cost of the Alarith Stoneguard kit?

My plan was always to buy one or two boxes at a time, as I cannot really afford to spend a large sum in one go on hobby.  I bought a box of Sentinels, a Cathallar, the cards and dice (the latter two as they will be limited), which was expensive enough for now.  When I have them painted, I will buy another box and so on.  Anyway, if I bought them all in one go, they'd just sit there looking at me and that's unwanted pressure.  They can just as easily sit at GW until I need them. 

To answer your question, I will end up buying the same number of Stoneguard kits as before, which is three.  If I'd been thinking of a whole Stoneguard army, I probably would have altered my initial plans.  I will, though, only be getting one Stonemage and will kitbash/convert the second.

• Like 3

Why are the Stoneguard kits the same price as the Dawnriders...  I’ll gladly be shelving my box set for awhile.  I really like the army, and Teclis, but I wouldn’t want to play him, without him lists feels like a hyper detailed horde army, which is just not something I want to take on right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Have any of you adjusted your purchasing plans due to the cost of the Alarith Stoneguard kit?

I went with 4 boxes giving me 20.  I wanted a total of 6 boxes to really fill out an Alarith Temple battalion.  I just couldn't bring myself to do that that the cost per box.  The main reason I decided to start LRL was mostly because of them.

4 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Could I ask a favour? Could you guys roll a fist full of the dice and let me know how they feel? I’m quite curious 

You can roll all 20. But some will just drop down flat if you do that (or you need a lot of space). At least at the mat surface I used. They are a bit large, so I wouldn’t use them to roll for your Witch Aelf attacks, but otherwise it feels pretty normal. If you only roll like 5, 6 or so you can give them a nice spin. They probably are not be ideal if you use many in a dice box. I think though, after you get used to them, and if you have the space for it, it’ll feel quite normal, even if you use 20. They are a bit more unwieldy though than our normal d6.

I plan to use them mostly for spell casting and as wound markers, and use the dice from the box set for everything else. 

@swarmofseals Not really, because I only have one good option to buy them locally at a reduced price (I paid $44 for everything that costs $60 for example incl. delivery), and they tend to run out of the more popular items. For example, the dice and Teclis where sold out within 1, 2 hours, and the Sentinels within the first day (they got some more this week, but dice are gone again). Once the items are sold out, I never know when or if they come back.  So, I’d have to order from GW or somewhere where shipping alone would cost me more. Otherwise I’d likely do it in the same way as Aelfric, buy a few items, build and paint them, then buy more. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah. I went from wanting to run a stone guard army, to deciding just using an entirely different product line to represent them as a kind of protest. I'm not paying £7 per model for so little plastic. lol.

1: Stonemage:

Avalenor, The stoneheart King

10 Aleith Stoneguard

10 Alieth Stoneguard

5 Alieth Stoneguard 

Alarith Temple Bat

10 Wardens:

10 Wardens

10 Sentinals

10 Sentials

Or run them as groups of 20.

Light of Elberion (Hey I got him, might as well use him.)

Take a wizard and an endless spell to boost spellcasting rolls.

Basic principle was to basically use the Temple Guard as a huge anvil. Avalenor in the middle, One group of Stoneguard up front, others surrounding. Use Wardens to cast supporting spells on the King and Speed of Hysh to get a unit moving in the early game and generally using them to guard objectives and using archers to camp objectives/snipe characters. The Light is simply something I think is cool and will probably have him be near the King to make units around him unbreakable for near free and being a selective problem solver.

Issue is the mountain is an obvious target. Could probably replace Light and wizard for another one, just the then there's no (useful) command ability. Probably is the better choice for two mountains otherwise.

Kinda glad I've not spent anything on this yet though beyond the core box; getting serious cold feet over all this now. Just a quarter of that list is £180, which is worth more then over half of the army. Ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Could I ask a favour? Could you guys roll a fist full of the dice and let me know how they feel? I’m quite curious 

I have been playing around with mine today.  I have to say they roll a whole lot better than I thought they would.  I have a few d6s that take more time to settle down than them.  At least on flat surfaces.  The bevels on the rolling portion of the Lumineth dice are sharp enough to prevent them from rolling too long.  While the surface isn't so great they don't 'cha-chunk'' like d8s tend to. 

These dice honestly are going to be used a lot more than I had planned on.  I will still mostly use the yellow boxed set most of the time, but I think these other ones will be used for leaders, spell casting, Initive and maybe even mixed in for special attacks with my LRL.

• Like 2