Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

agree, interesting to see..

but would guess there is a strong enough core fanbase of ppl who like the aelven aesthetic for it to be a fairly safe bet.. but who knows (probably GW actually 😂)..

re warscrolls, agree that its few but the saving grace as others pointed out that they all seem pretty useful, I dont think anyone would really cry over the idoneth soulrender if he went missing from that tome e.g... and also dont forget we get an Underworlds warband already in Dec! (and some of those seem to have some use also in AOS)

11 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

The main Idea was that I wanted the same Number of Sentinels and Wardens. At the moment I am very tempted to even go with one Unit of 10 and one Unit of 5 Dawnriders - so that all Units have this distribution of a smaller and a bigger Unit Size each.

That's a very Luminethy (?) way of assembling an army.

I have a goal to replicate a mass phalanx of pikes with a Cathallar behind, so I'm planning my army around a core of 30 Wardens in one big block with Sentinels  in support; Dawnriders for harassing.   Alarith and Mountain spirits as my hammers (no pun intended).  I'd love to field two blocks, but I just can't see myself painting 60 of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hehe Thanks 😁

I like having different (and hopefully individualised) Unit Champions - one who is destined to lead the bigger Squad the other one is leading the smaller one.
Because of the fact that I always treasured my pretty Unit Champions I enjoy it so much that they are so vital in a Lumineth Army. 🥰
This conversion is NOT MINE (!) I found it on Instagram and got inspired to build a unique High Warden with this Head.
The Instagram Account is @thewanderingprince and the Head is from the Wood Elf Blood Bowl Team.

Dawnrider_Bloodbowlteam conversion.png

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Yeah, really nice. They are from Martin Orlando in case anyone is interested to see more of those. He posts about them on Twitter. He has a detailed background story for them too, and a lot of conversions. 

Edit: Aaand pre-order done. In the end, I went for Teclis, 1 x Cathaller, 1 x dice, the cards, 4 x Sentinels, 1 x Wardens and the Endless Spells. 

E8808D7C-239D-40AA-9C3A-68C9FBA4B204.jpeg

C8F7285A-23D5-42B4-9ED2-29032FD37AD4.jpeg

5C1BE828-426C-4011-ADAD-D82AD46FD521.jpeg

232CA0FF-1C77-4F86-8AE7-5D680E1DC9FB.jpeg

0D43E88C-85FB-48EA-AD8C-7D4E86D47984.jpeg

155D886B-D775-466C-953A-AF74E1A88A99.jpeg

56894427-D6D2-4E04-9FA5-926912315495.jpeg

Edited by LuminethMage
Happyness
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

You must be from New Zealand if you got to pre-order them that fast! I just pre-ordered my stuff! Might take a while to get here but woot! 

I wish, I’ve been there Only once for vacation, it’s really a beautiful place.

My local store is just in the habit of putting up the pre-orders around 8am on their website. They already sold out Teclis (but the also sold out the army box within 20 mins or so when it came out). 

I’m not getting them any faster though, in fact likely later than many other. Probably exactly in 2 weeks from today. 

@ThalmorRepresentative very nice, just in time : ). I haven’t really finished any of mine besides 4. But plan to have them all ready before I receive the new units. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Explain

Record profits despite Covid.

More-or-less a return of WHFB's most popular army.

Hype surrounding the release.

GW knowing they've a fanatically loyal consumer base who've shown they'll buy pretty much anything they release.

I'm sure our posts will be followed up by a stream of replies along the lines of, "wow the price is painful/my wallet is hurting/my wife will kill me but despite that I'm still going to buy them" which about sums up why they know they can keep escalating prices. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic

3 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

@ThalmorRepresentative I like your bases, they feel very dynamic and dare I say "alive" hehe :D

Thanks, Aloth_Corfiser (Nice to see another Pillars fan here :D), I really wanted that dynamic feel. The theme of the army is that they are fighting with the rest of the realm-lords to reclaim their empire and restore the Age of Glory. I'm depicting them fighting upon a moorland scattered with the ruins of the Aelven nations lost during and after the spirefall.

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I wish, I’ve been there Only once for vacation, it’s really a beautiful place.

My local store is just in the habit of putting up the pre-orders around 8am on their website. They already sold out Teclis (but the also sold out the army box within 20 mins or so when it came out). 

I’m not getting them any faster though, in fact likely later than many other. Probably exactly in 2 weeks from today. 

@ThalmorRepresentative very nice, just in time : ). I haven’t really finished any of mine besides 4. But plan to have them all ready before I receive the new units. 

Thanks, none of them are entirely finished though lol. Assembly lining them just causes me to miss details I normally wouldn't, and there also some mistakes to correct too. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the entire army up to standard before I circle back to the beginning or do it all now.

]Decisions, decisions😅

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Dead GW, 

I am a man that religiously spends money on your models, I'll get models when I like them, no problem, until today.

This whole Lumineth range is ludicrous, and you crossed a line I never thought you'd cross for 1 model (and it isn't even your biggest or most plastic heavy).

£105, look, I love the models, I was ridiculously excited to get into this army and enjoying painting up my shiney pre release box. But £105????? Not to mention your mono pose troops, again with less plastic and options than a Stormcast equivalent, and again even more pricey. What did I honestly deserve being kicked so hard for.

For the first time ever, I am saying no, and as sad as it makes me, the Lumineth might have to be put to one side for now :(

I'm out for now guys, But do feel free to justify that cost to me! 

Nub

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Thanks, Aloth_Corfiser (Nice to see another Pillars fan here :D), I really wanted that dynamic feel. The theme of the army is that they are fighting with the rest of the realm-lords to reclaim their empire and restore the Age of Glory. I'm depicting them fighting upon a moorland scattered with the ruins of the Aelven nations lost during and after the spirefall.

Thanks, none of them are entirely finished though lol. Assembly lining them just causes me to miss details I normally wouldn't, and there also some mistakes to correct too. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the entire army up to standard before I circle back to the beginning or do it all now.

]Decisions, decisions😅

I’m in the same position. I’ve finally decided to try to “finish” all of them first, and them give them a second look, but that might change again. But I feel like I have to make some progress before all the new plastic will arrive in 2 weeks. 😅

18 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

GW knowing they've a fanatically loyal consumer base who've shown they'll buy pretty much anything they release.

I have no issue with spending money on a quality product. But there has to be a standardised approach to pricing for it even to be legal, never mind defensible. Why is Teclis 20% more expensive than Alarielle? Why is he 5% more expensive than Archaon? The raw materials are, if anything, less on Teclis than on Archaon. What is it about manufacturing the Teclis model that makes it 20% more difficult than making Alarielle? 

They've been teasing this model for literally longer than a pregnancy and now as a final slap to the customer they throw an extra "Covid Tax" onto their new range? 

Disgraceful.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I have no issue with spending money on a quality product. But there has to be a standardised approach to pricing for it even to be legal, never mind defensible. Why is Teclis 20% more expensive than Alarielle? Why is he 5% more expensive than Archaon? The raw materials are, if anything, less on Teclis than on Archaon. What is it about manufacturing the Teclis model that makes it 20% more difficult than making Alarielle? 

They've been teasing this model for literally longer than a pregnancy and now as a final slap to the customer they throw an extra "Covid Tax" onto their new range? 

Disgraceful.

I think the likely reason is - it’s a new model, and they try to sell similar models at the same price or higher from now on. 

Personally, I don’t find Teclis being expensive that outrageous. He isn’t needed for the army to work and many people don’t like his model anyway. I like the model, his abilities and think he is worth the expenditure for me. So I bought him. I also hadn’t bought anything from Games Workshop since 8th Edition Fantasy, and don’t plan on playing any other army. 

I find it more of a problem that core troops like Witch Aelves for DoK and our Warden and Sentinel being that expensive. The made the Wardens nearly mandatory (if you don’t play a specific faction they are your only Battleline), you almost can’t get around buying them if you want to play the Lumineth. That sucks - because it might really make it difficult for some people who were looking forward to this army to actually play it. 

• Like 1

I picked up the LRL battletome for less than £15 from a reseller. Its a nice book, some fun rules.

But that's it for me. The price point for the new models is so ludicrous its hilarious. Unless you have fanatically deep pockets, it's become a pointless faction for most players. And the vanari aside, the models are 'meh.'

A real shame. I'm gonna keep the book for the lore but there are just better factions to collect in AoS, in every way, alas.

• Like 2

Yea, this is going to be a slow grow for me, if even that. I want to get 40 more wardens and 30 sentinels, but ****** me sideways the price gouging is real. And, as others in my gaming group pointed out these models are not even that good to play with because of how flimsy the spears are. I’m sure glad I’m paying premium for a model that can break if you look at it sideways.

yea, I think it’s time I start finding cheaper ways to pick them up.  I love the army and fluff, but even without the near 200 dollar Teclis model picking up guys is going to cost me  at least 500 buckerinos for a solid core even before the mountains come out. I can already tell that the stone guard are going to be, like, 50$ for 5 too... if I want Aelves I can probably play cities of Sigmar cheaper and have more options.

what really pisses me off too is that good sales do not guarantee more product down the line either, so it’s kinda souring the mood for me too.

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

That really pisses me off too is that good sales do not guarantee more product down the line either, so it’s kinda souring the mood for me too.

My mood was that soured that I spent all afternoon looking at how easy a Sylvaneth army is to start. It's crazy when Alarielle which is a chunkier and more attractive model is £20 cheaper. I get about 4 times as much infantry for the same price too. 

18 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

My mood was that soured that I spent all afternoon looking at how easy a Sylvaneth army is to start. It's crazy when Alarielle which is a chunkier and more attractive model is £20 cheaper. I get about 4 times as much infantry for the same price too. 

Ha, I remember way back when i was contemplating buying allarielle cause it was a cool model. But even with the discount from LFGS  i found it to be too expensive and she shouldnt be that much. Then here comes  teclis; an ugly model (subjective), not limited edition, not boutique doesnt require more materials than other cheaper GW models but he is 130euro.... 

GW is gonna GW.

I first thought about just buying 10 sentinels, but then I found a store that had 7% off the price for pre orders, so I decided to go all in and spend 145€....

So I added 20 sentinels, 10 wardens, cathallar and warscrolls to make a 1010 point army. I guess for the expansion I could buy teclis and 5 more dawnriders.... But it will probably take a while!

I read that they did warn about price increases earlier this summer, but it still sucks... At least I finished my CoS army before this!