Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

On 8/27/2020 at 8:47 AM, Athrawes said:

I've now completed and based by first 5 Dawnriders, 10 Wardens, and my converted Scinari Cathallar.

The Cathallar is based on one of my favorite High Elves miniatures, the classic Archmage on Elemental base. While I adore that model, it felt wrong to use it as-is, so I went about converting her to more closely fit the aesthetic of the Lumineth Cathallar, most notably by sculpting a veil on a new head for her, and creating a smoke-censor staff to echo the curved language of the official miniatures headpeice. 

Let me know what you think! 

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

First off.... EPIC job there dude...  I am in the middle of a kitbash Cathallar also, but yours is amazing!  I am so jealous of that GreenStuff action.  Now I've got Kitbash Envy....

And are those "old" High Elf heads on the Wardens?  Sweeeet!!

14 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

First off.... EPIC job there dude...  I am in the middle of a kitbash Cathallar also, but yours is amazing!  I am so jealous of that GreenStuff action.  Now I've got Kitbash Envy....

And are those "old" High Elf heads on the Wardens?  Sweeeet!!

Thanks mate,

The heads on the pikes come from the old metal Phoenix guard. Probably my all time favorite high elf helm sculpt. I've had 40 of them sitting in my closet for a rainy day project and I just decided to go all out and convert all 20 of my lumineth wardens to use this head.

It's funny, I know a ton of people in the community love the look of the wardens/sentinels and Dawnriders, and loath the longhorn heads on the alarith, but I'm the reverse. The only helm I disliked in the Lumineth range were the wardens, who looked altogether too greek-hoplite for my tastes, it just clashed with the asian aesthetic of the rest of the range in my opinion. 

SO problem solved.

Edited by Athrawes

2 hours ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

First off..... Dear GW:

image.png.034edc4556c20fbd5b7994954422708e.png

Second... I'm very glad to hear that the rest of the Vanari are coming out first.  Can't wait to get my hands on them Sentinels!  And maybe more Wardens... ugh...lol.

Thirdly, Fourth, etc:  How different will this new Battle Tome be from the one in the Preview Kit.... will I need to get it?  And what do you all think of the Warscroll Cards?  Necessary?  I've made my own PDF/Printables Sheets to use (see prelim design below), but having a card could be fun (Coming from SW:Legion style of playing, I dig them from an easy access point for info). Will these be a bundle with the dice?  Or as I suspect, needed to buy separately?  

AoS Warscrolls Wardens, Dawns, and Light.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

It looks like this will be a 2 week release as predicted, with the majority of the Vanari this week, the Alarith should be next week with the dawnriders. Still my wallet is looking at me in dispair.

I'm okay with this.  Even though I am planning on more of an Alarith army, I still want a good portion of the Vanari.  Plus all the Lumineth Heroes and Endless Spells.  I kinda prefer it broken up to keep the wallet pain from being all at once.  Now, I have to wonder which week is going to be more expensive for me? 

Plus, it isn't like I believe I would even finish building (I build pretty slowly) everything from either group before I get the next group anyways.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

Thirdly, Fourth, etc:  How different will this new Battle Tome be from the one in the Preview Kit.... will I need to get it?  

It will very likely be the exact same content. Just with a different cover. 

RE: Release, for me, it all depends on how expensive the stuff is going to get. I dont really need anything of the stuff next week (waiting for the Alarith units), but im tempted to get Teclis. 

Yay, finally! Dances the Mountain Shuffle. Really excited.

So this week for me will be - Teclis, a Cathaller, 120 30 Sentinels, the endless spells, cards, dice, novel and the digital BT. Together with the 30 Wardens, my converted Mistweaver/Cathallar and the Dawnriders, that’s my first list. Maybe I buy another 10 Wardens and Sentinels. 

*Did they really make two functional dice sets for the Lumineth??? Outrageous! They have to release another set next week - horn shaped or mountain or something like that. Can’t have only functional dice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Here's the progress I've made so far with my Cathallar kitbash.  Slow but steady.  I've got a wee bit of a base mocked up.  Trying to emulate her spell exploding out of the ground and lifting her up before she spreads the emotions from the aetherquartz.  I'm planning on filling in the base with model paste, attaching which ever themed ground I wanna use (this is cracked earth, the other could be Madness/Cthulu), filling in with some dirt, debris. And because I'm bored and I can, a fun movie... thoughts questions comments welcome. (PS I ... just can't paint eyes..... just can't....  so eventually I'll redo them blank.)

Cathallar v3 with base front B.JPG

Cathallar v3 with base right.JPG

Cathallar v3 with base back.JPG

Cathallar v3 with base left.JPG

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

So this week for me will be - Teclis, a Cathaller, 120 30 Sentinels, the endless spells, cards

Oh man oh man... my wallet will not be happy next week....  IF my FLGS has them of course.  Not sure on how many sentinels I'll get, but prolly 20 (that'd be what, two boxes?)  My goal is to get a 1k set up first, play it a bunch, then slowly add in more units.  Now, does anyone have any idea on how much these models might be?   trying to prepare my self and my bank account.

9 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

Oh man oh man... my wallet will not be happy next week....  IF my FLGS has them of course.  Not sure on how many sentinels I'll get, but prolly 20 (that'd be what, two boxes?)  My goal is to get a 1k set up first, play it a bunch, then slowly add in more units.  Now, does anyone have any idea on how much these models might be?   trying to prepare my self and my bank account.

Yup, that'll hurt the wallet - hopefully I'm still owning credit card after I explained the expenses to my wife : ) . 

About the pricing -  On the Lumineth Facebook group people mentioned something like 85 GBP (ca. 120, 130 US) for Teclis, 35 GBP  (ca. $50) for ten man , 25 GBP for light of Eltharion. The dice - PRICELESS (bad pun). But not sure if those are correct. I wouldn't be surprised if Teclis costs a bit more for example. But might give you a good impression. You can have a look at the GW website under your country for comparably units to get an idea about the prices. 

I've run out of likes for the day. Happens whenever they release something about the Lumineth, lol. - That's a very nice concept you have for your Cathallar! A lot of effort, what are you planing for the arms? 

• Like 2

And, just to be a pest, here's my first attempt at LED's.  I've put them inside the Light of E.  I think it looks great.  I'm trying out some fibers inside as well, acting like a diffuser.  But maybe also giving him a bit more ghostly inner presence.  Like something other worldly is inside the armor.

I got the LED's from https://evandesigns.com.  So far, one of the best places I've found.  In the States at least.  IF you've got a better place to get LED's, let me know!  But they have a great selection, and some SMALL sizes.  Check them out!  Their flicker LED's are the bomb!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wyliekyote said:

And, just to be a pest, here's my first attempt at LED's.  I've put them inside the Light of E.  I think it looks great.  I'm trying out some fibers inside as well, acting like a diffuser.  But maybe also giving him a bit more ghostly inner presence.  Like something other worldly is inside the armor.

I got the LED's from https://evandesigns.com.  So far, one of the best places I've found.  In the States at least.  IF you've got a better place to get LED's, let me know!  But they have a great selection, and some SMALL sizes.  Check them out!  Their flicker LED's are the bomb!

Thats cool! where did you stick the battery and what did you use?

cheers

40 minutes ago, Troll.exe said:

Has anyone looked into movement tray options yet? I’m assuming mag trays so you can move models off easily when you want to break the shining company.

I have cut my own out of this: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/magnetic-sheets/75-steel-rubber-sheet-for-magnetic-trays-and-crafts.html

its basically a rubber sheet that is magnetic and I anyways magnetise my bases for storage/transportation so it works well

cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woolf said:

I have cut my own out of this: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/magnetic-sheets/75-steel-rubber-sheet-for-magnetic-trays-and-crafts.html

its basically a rubber sheet that is magnetic and I anyways magnetise my bases for storage/transportation so it works well

cheers

Not going to lie that sounds a little too floppy for what I have in mind. I was thinking mini mag tray as well, but these look great for lining boxes!

Just now, Acid_Nine said:

Not going to lie that sounds a little too floppy for what I have in mind. I was thinking mini mag tray as well, but these look great for lining boxes!

ye i reinforced by a thin piece of cardboard underneath. these rubber sheets had an adhesive side to them. ofc cutting actual metal sheet would be stiffer still but also obv much more work and require proper tools. you could also buy actual mini mag trays ofc but I liked the ability to customize :)

I have a small question and I do not know if anyone else has had this problem:

2 of the Warden Spears are slightly bent - one came already bent on the Sprue and I noticed the other one when I had glued the Spear to the Warden already. 
So, would you prepare slightly hot or lukewarm water and try to gradually and carefully bend the Spear back to a straight shape?

The 2 Spearshafts are both attached to their respective models already (because I was dumb and too eager and wanted to glue them all together) but they are not primed yet.
I am sure that I have not bent them myself because I have been very careful with the Models.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser

8 hours ago, woolf said:

Thats cool! where did you stick the battery and what did you use?

Thanks!  I've got some process photos that I'll gladly clog up this discussion page with.. I mean share.

I got the inspiration from my SW:Legion games/research:  https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/28/an-elegant-weapon/ .  One day I'll make my Saber look this cool.  But on to LoE.  There was a post earlier with a link to another great way to LED up LoE.  Here's my inspiration:

image.png.abe68002e118389993f30e7cb267f0ab.png

SO COOL!!!!  But how to do it?!?  I researched LED's, etc.  Found both Green Stuff World and Evan Designs have cool LED's.  I ordered some Pico LED's and went for it.

413421054_LoEbitandpiecesprewireing.JPG.495193aab9f4c617f118d730385c9ec7.JPG

Here all the bits:  CR2032 3v coin battery, LED's (originally I was using two flicker from Evan Designs, and one solid from GSW.  I broke the GSW one mid process, so swapped it out for another flicker on from Evan), and LoE in it's sub-assemblies.

345123286_LoEunderbase.JPG.d0b69f7d5005495a173046e073b09b75.JPG

Following the ideas from the website above, I drilled two holes for the magnets.  I used two Bar style magnets(to double down on the battery being held in place) in the middle, and one disk magnet above the battery.

389838707_LoEtopofbase.JPG.3e4d06999119383aedbc6363186d7551.JPG

Then, on both top and bottom of base, I painted Conductive Paint from GSW on the magnets.  Again, making sure they would conduct really well.  The red dot reminded me which one was the Positive connection.

42729310_LoELEDtest.JPG.0cc6aac175c32260c1f9b31464d73051.JPG1379962976_LoELEDattachedtest.JPG.3e5075fe25d0d551b8ed031c23c2b686.JPG

I tested as I went, making sure I din't mess up the circuit.  I covered the magnets with putty to prime the base.  Then, I super glued the wires down, and used the conductive paint to "solder" the wires to the magnets, testing testing testing.... 

1336067568_LoEbasewithwires.JPG.3e30c3416da64e774d49a23c6d527f47.JPG

Here's the next to last step.  Getting all the wires stuffed into the base!!  This is where I broke (:|) the GSW LED... These are all the Pico size, so they are really delicate...  I added another Even designs here, glued, tested, etc..   

1013971943_LoEwireingcloseup.JPG.81e4096ef6b566e1992b15dd44ee3dea.JPG

I ran the wires up next to the left leg/tabard, behind the tabard, and into the body.  Painted them black.  Then I finished putting the model together.  Now, here I should have kept the model in it's sub assemblies for painting.  Live and learn.  I'm trying to Poly-Fill (a polyester fiber used for stuffing pillows, etc) as a diffuser.  And also to suggest that there is something ethereal inside the armor.  

Hope this help and inspires yall to try out LED's....  heck, if I can do it, you can!!!  Just really take your time, plan out how to wire it, do several mockups if possible.  Then go for it!

And FYI, here's a LED size comparison:

bulbsize.jpg.d35d32ecafe45aac569c56842f8bdc08.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

That's a very nice concept you have for your Cathallar! A lot of effort, what are you planing for the arms? 

It's been a wee bit more effort than I anticipated. lol...  For the arms...  I've landed on two options:

One:  the staff from the Nomad Prince.  It's got a great looking blade, an "aetherquartz" gem.48891216_NomadPrince.jpg.57833c9ba927808a44bd7c34260d1dc1.jpg

OR the staff and/or spell from this.  The spell and staff effect are clear so that they match her spell effect base, and maybe I can make them look spectral.  the scale is a little smaller than her, so not sure:

1758881196_WizardwithSpellandstaff.jpg.cf8d21cb9e9aad4bd454490ebc9e4d46.jpg

But I'm still open to suggestions. :D 

Edited by Wyliekyote
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I have a small question and I do not know if anyone else has had this problem:

2 of the Warden Spears are slightly bent - one came already bent on the Sprue and I noticed the other one when I had glued the Spear to the Warden already. 
So, would you prepare slightly hot or lukewarm water and try to gradually and carefully bend the Spear back to a straight shape?

The 2 Spearshafts are both attached to their respective models already (because I was dumb and too eager and wanted to glue them all together) but they are not primed yet.
I am sure that I have not bent them myself because I have been very careful with the Models.

I also had two slightly bent spears in the box, and on Facebook there were complaints about bent and broken ones. So it’s almost certainly not your fault.

I don’t know if you can make them straight via the method you described though. I also glued mine on, and in my case it’s pretty hard to tell if you not focus on them, so in the end I don mind. I figured this also could happen in a battle : ).

@Wyliekyote I see, sounds good. I haven’t done many conversions, so I also can’t give much of an advice - the Prince staff does look good. The Mistweaver which many people are using for their conversion (I did that too) could also fit for your purposes. Her staff has a moon symbol and the mist could go well with the rest of your model. Looks a bit different though. 

Edit: and finally it’s getting real - with GW starting to show off the models. As an old Teclis fan, I was really happy to see the video linking the old models to the new one. I still have both of those. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Anyone considered taking the prasmatic palisade along with these bros? Could possibly be a really nice way to protect the archers who can then shoot over it. 

Yes, I am ... but then I only have space for one Endless Spell in my list - and the Twinstones look just too good to miss out in a Zaitrec list. MOA POWAAAAAA. Also I plan to play with Teclis - so I'd like my opponents to shoot at my Sentinels, lol. 

But if you face a lot of ranged opponents, it's cheap and something to consider. Problem is its casting value of 5. Pretty easy to get rid off for a lot of factions. 

• Like 1