Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

13 hours ago, l1censetochill said:

Well, I'm certainly excited to see what the new Underworlds models look like, even if I'll be so wrapped up in painting an army that they probably won't make their way to my table any time soon. And in line with what others are thinking, based on the lore in the Lumineth tome, I'm going to guess that Slaanesh breaking free of its prison will be an end result of the Broken Realms narrative and the impetus for the Tyrionic aelves to get released (probably in late 21 or 22 at the earliest).

On a completely unrelated note, I also found time this weekend to finish my first Dawnrider model:

0lkyLQy.jpg

qWA5U0f.jpg

I've never painted horses before, nor have I ever painted in sub-assemblies, so there was definitely some trial and error involved. Getting the pieces to fit just right post-painting was very difficult, and I hate that they made the decision to require you to glue the sides of the bridle into the horse's mouth (I snapped the rope off twice trying to get all the tiny fragile parts aligned!). But all things considered, I'm still happy with the result. I'm sure next time will be smoother, at any rate!

Hi 1censetochill,

That looks amazing!

What is your recipe for the white if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks 🙂.

I'm still waiting to mask and Airbrush the weapon blades (I have a great holographic paint from greenstuff world) but otherwise, I have nearly completed my first 5 Dawnriders, and 7 Wardens. 

I've also attached two pictures to show the holographic paint I'm going to start using for the blades. It has a wonderful colorshift through nearly the whole rainbow spectrum. Very pleased with how it looks so far. 

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5075.jpg

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 3

3 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Hi 1censetochill,

That looks amazing!

What is your recipe for the white if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks 🙂.

Thanks @ThalmorRepresentative, the feedback is much appreciated!

My first step when starting on any of my Lumineth is to do an all-over basecoat of Army Painter Mummy Robes (white), thinned down and put through my airbrush in 3 thin coats. Once I've got all of my other colors down, I go back in at the end of the process and cover up any mistakes in the white areas with as many thin coats of Mummy Robes as it takes - usually quite a few. If I'm remembering correctly the Citadel equivalent of Mummy Robes is Pallid Wych Flesh, but for my purposes the Army Painter stuff works better since it comes in a dropper bottle for airbrushing and it's quite a bit cheaper. I also happened to have a few bottles lying around from an old project, so it was quick to start with.

I'm sure there are other, probably easier ways to achieve a good looking white, but this has worked pretty well for me so far. I'd actually be interested in hearing how other people are approaching it. Corax White seems to be the GW recommendation per the tome, but I've had issues with both Corax and White Scar turning chunky in the pots.

@Tiberius501 really nicely done - that Dawnrider looks almost indistinguishable from the ones in the battletome. You sure you aren't an undercover GW studio painter? I've also been spending far too much time on each model, considering I'm going to need at least 40 Wardens, 30 Sentinels, a unit of Dawnriders, and multiple hero models to actually play a game... but hey, we're all stuck inside for the foreseeable future anyway, so I figure if I'm ever going to go all out on painting an army I'm proud of, now's the time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Athrawes said:

I'm still waiting to mask and Airbrush the weapon blades (I have a great holographic paint from greenstuff world) but otherwise, I have nearly completed my first 5 Dawnriders, and 7 Wardens. 

I've also attached two pictures to show the holographic paint I'm going to start using for the blades. It has a wonderful colorshift through nearly the whole rainbow spectrum. Very pleased with how it looks so far. 

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5075.jpg

I've been really loving the GSW colordshifts!  (And some from TurboDork!) Which one did you use on the blades?

• Like 1

Hey all!  I swear somewhere in this thread, there was a post that shared some fantastic looking scenery with huge plinths, cool columns, bridges.... the company was from England.  LOL, I know, very specific.  But the feel was very AoS...  I'm trying to compile lists of scenic places and can't find them.  IF anyone remembers, can you re-post?

EDIT:  found it.  must have missed it.... sorry. https://darkfantasticmills.worldsecuresystems.com/shop.html#shop-page

Edited by Wyliekyote

WARNING

If you're thinking on starting luminoth the discount boxed set with troops, cavalry, battletome, counters etc... is going to be withdrawn from sale at the end of this week. If you want it get it before Saturday! This might well spark a sales drive and regionally it might run out of stock before then. If not then you know it certainly will on Saturday. 

Just now, SirSalabean said:

Are lumineth worth starting as an army. I like elves but I’m stuck between this and deepkin. 
I feel like there isn’t much unit choice for them but I may be mistaken. Are they multipart kits? 

Which do you prefer the models/lore for? 

None of the armies that began fresh with AoS (and some of the old model spin-offs like Disciples of Khaine) are really swimming in unit diversity right now unfortunately but will, presumably, receive more stuff as the years go on.

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

Which do you prefer the models/lore for? 

None of the armies that began fresh with AoS (and some of the old model spin-offs like Disciples of Khaine) are really swimming in unit diversity right now unfortunately but will, presumably, receive more stuff as the years go on.

I’m really not sure, I’ve been waiting for these shadow elves to come out but no news. I like lumineth but I think I’m leaning towards idometh. I’m not sure if either are good for beginners though

My first AoS army was idoneth, and I’ve now started up my lumineth. Neither are particularly new player friendly.

Idoneth aren’t really a point and click army. You can’t just throw units at the enemy and expect to win, movement is your most important ability, and correct unit placement, at the correct distance to set up, or deny charges is key. This becomes challenging because if the tides of death table which changes what your army should be doing each turn, you need to be placing units and planning things turns in advance. Not the easiest thing to learn for beginners.

lumineth on the other hand have a different type of dificulty. Lots of different abilities, buff, spells, and synergies to keep track of. Even for experienced players, it’s difficult to remember these types of things and use them all efficiently, but lumineth are nearly crippled if you forget to use a key ability at the right moment.

Of the two armies, I think idoneth are more straight forward to learn for beginners as you really only need to focus on placing your units correctly. Lumineth require intense micromanagement in comparison.

I love both armies but I hope this honesty helps you choose wisely if ease of play is important to you.

• Like 2

Just wanted to share that I am really happy with my first Warden🥰 I am not a spectacular painter by any means and the Model still needs an improvement here and there. I got by with the Colours I already had at home as currently I dont want to buy any new ones. But @Athrawes tipped me over the edge with the Red Runes. ^^ 
As you can see I am a fan of the Classic High Elf Scheme hehe. At first I tried out the Zaitrec Colours, but what can you do when you just love blue? :D Tried to give the Zaitrec Scheme a blue twist but then this combination came to be in the end.

Bases: I really like the flower bases so many people use for the LRL. Green grass would be a nice contrast to the blues and reds I think.

Lore: Meandering away from the Subfactions I came up with this on a whim:
These Lumineth are an Auralan Legion who stood Guard in Uhl-Ghysh as part of the Lumineth Garrisons watching over Slaanesh. When Archaon and his Armies attacked a substantial amount of this Legion survived. Lumineth from both the Teclian and Tyrionic Nations serve in the Legion and it has gained some prominence and respect among Vanari Generals back home. However it has since been redeployed to Hysh bolstering it's ranks and perhaps regain some sanity. 
I will also work on a Standard-Bearer Hero with the Anvil of Apotheosis, because i just love the Concept of Standardbearers since I came into contect with Warhammer. And I just want to have an Elf carrying the Legion's Battle Standard with its thematic Rune and all. 

Red Runes seemed nice to symbolize spilled blood of fellow Vanari (how original! 😅 ) while also serving as a warmer colour.

Warden 1.jpg

Warden 2.jpg

Warden 3.jpg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Is £70 a good price for the limited edition set new? I’m on the edge of either getting it or the idoneth deepkin start collecting 

70 is a steal for the complete set. Im not good with translating currencies, but the set costs 145€ new on the webstore. 

If you are interested in starting the army, the box set is a good way to get into the army. Both Wardens and Dawnriders are vital parts of almost every Lumineth list and Eltharion is a beautiful miniature. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

I’m really not sure, I’ve been waiting for these shadow elves to come out but no news. I like lumineth but I think I’m leaning towards idometh. I’m not sure if either are good for beginners though

Both Idoneth and Lumineth would definitely be a challenge for a new player - as @Athrawes pointed out, IDK require some real tactical play to make the best of their abilities, and Lumineth are new so it's hard to quantify their strength, but they do have a lot of moving parts. I would actually say that tactically, though, I might disagree with the assessment that Idoneth would necessarily be easier to learn; IDK's alpha strikes are incredibly powerful, but the army as a whole is extremely fragile and one poorly deployed unit can basically guarantee a loss before the game even starts. Lumineth, for all of their intricacies, at least have durable blocks of Wardens that can withstand a charge, so mistakes shouldn't be quite as punishing.

On the hobby side, they're both gorgeous model ranges that are going to be challenging even for experienced painters, so in that aspect I'd say it's a wash.

I feel compelled to point out, though, that Idoneth can be used as allies in Lumineth armies (but not vice versa, sadly). So if you start with Lumineth but want to dip your toe into painting/playing with some IDK models, you've got that option. I honestly think there might be an argument for allying in an ambushing Soulscryer + Morsarr Guard  unit into a Lumineth list in some situations, even though it increases your drops.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, elfhead said:

So while waiting for the main release to drop in September I've been working on some 3D printed terrain. Here are two elven statues I've printed and painted. 

kVgdtGRl.jpg

YjWmjKal.jpg?1

Hopefully I'll be working on some actual Lumineth models in a few weeks...

If you like the scenery you can get some yourself in my Etsy shop

Very cool! I just hope you changed those runes and did not copy them from GW (their copyright infringement team strikes quickly and hard) 🙂

keep up the great work!

Are lumineth worth starting as an army. I like elves but I’m stuck between this and deepkin. 
I feel like there isn’t much unit choice for them but I may be mistaken. Are they multipart kits? 

Well, as I got the ltd starting box during this pandemic, I've not played any games yet.  So I can't speak to it's ease/playability/etc.  But I too have kept my eyes open for the Elves... or Aelves as it were.  Model wise, the Deepkin are very cool, but didn't call out to me.  These Lumineth caught my eye, so I dived in.    I'm new to the GW style of models, so getting used to the whole sprue/mould lines thing was a challenge for me.  In particular, these models are real sweet, and yes, they are multi part.  The Light of E is Amazing (and challenging, I'm doing him in four sub assemblies) , the High Warden and Wardens are cool and a little challenging, but not as much customization options.  I've not built a Dawnrider (calvary) yet, but rumors are that they are the most challenging.  Looking ahead, the other models look great as well.  I am looking forwards to the Archers.  And the Stonemage.  And I do hope that the other sects of Aelves (shadow, wild, wind, zenith, etc) get included soon.   But more models will be released in September, so all will be revealed.

I think many here have said that if you see a set of models that call out to you, start there... 

1 hour ago, l1censetochill said:

Both Idoneth and Lumineth would definitely be a challenge for a new player - as @Athrawes pointed out, IDK require some real tactical play to make the best of their abilities, and Lumineth are new so it's hard to quantify their strength, but they do have a lot of moving parts. I would actually say that tactically, though, I might disagree with the assessment that Idoneth would necessarily be easier to learn; IDK's alpha strikes are incredibly powerful, but the army as a whole is extremely fragile and one poorly deployed unit can basically guarantee a loss before the game even starts. Lumineth, for all of their intricacies, at least have durable blocks of Wardens that can withstand a charge, so mistakes shouldn't be quite as punishing.

On the hobby side, they're both gorgeous model ranges that are going to be challenging even for experienced painters, so in that aspect I'd say it's a wash.

I feel compelled to point out, though, that Idoneth can be used as allies in Lumineth armies (but not vice versa, sadly). So if you start with Lumineth but want to dip your toe into painting/playing with some IDK models, you've got that option. I honestly think there might be an argument for allying in an ambushing Soulscryer + Morsarr Guard  unit into a Lumineth list in some situations, even though it increases your drops.

Hmm It’s annoying as aesthetically IDK look the best to me, I was tossing up which I prefer but I think with the lumineth they have some models I don’t like as much as all the cool sea creatures etc. 

I have two reasonable 40k armies that I have been painting up, I love the painting side so I’m not too worried about that I’d say I’m decent enough at it. I think I just don’t want to get an army that isn’t going to be worth playing as a beginner. I what other armies are suggested for those new to the game? 

59 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Hmm It’s annoying as aesthetically IDK look the best to me, I was tossing up which I prefer but I think with the lumineth they have some models I don’t like as much as all the cool sea creatures etc. 

I have two reasonable 40k armies that I have been painting up, I love the painting side so I’m not too worried about that I’d say I’m decent enough at it. I think I just don’t want to get an army that isn’t going to be worth playing as a beginner. I what other armies are suggested for those new to the game? 

If you've got experience with 40k, I wouldn't necessarily be put off too much by the learning curve for any AOS army - the game is pretty straightforward, honestly, and I think both IDK and Lumineth are totally viable even as a beginner. I think it needs to be said that while lots of the threads and lists here talk a lot about what's competitive/optimal, if you're going to your local store to play a game almost everyone will just have random janky lists with a mix of models they like (at least, that's been my experience). So AOS as a whole is nowhere near as competitive as 40k, and picking an army that speaks to you aesthetically/thematically should really be the priority, at least in my opinion. Like, IDK is a great example - everyone knows the turtle sucks, but most IDK players in my area run one anyway because the model is just that cool.

With that said, I think the easiest army to pick up right now for a beginner would be Bonereapers - cool new model line, strong rules even after the recent nerf, hard to move off objectives, immune to battleshock, able to compete in every phase, relatively elite (hence fewer models to paint to get on the table), and all the bone makes for a quick paintjob. Fyreslayers are very similar to Bonereapers, but less aesthetically interesting (to me, anyway). Slaves to Darkness are also solid and seem pretty straightforward, though my experience with them is limited. Interested to hear if anyone else has an opinion on what the best starter armies are right now.

• Like 3

Sounds like you should go with the Idoneth - l think their vibe is also closer to the shadow aelves that you are waiting for. If you prefer their aesthetics, otherwise you’ll always doubt your choice. 

On the other hand if you decide to go with the Lumineth - for a totally new player the set is great for €70. 

5 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Sounds like you should go with the Idoneth - l think their vibe is also closer to the shadow aelves that you are waiting for. If you prefer their aesthetics, otherwise you’ll always doubt your choice. 

On the other hand if you decide to go with the Lumineth - for a totally new player the set is great for €70. 

I think so too. I’ll start with start collecting and build from there what’s cool. Really like the eels though.