Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

6 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I will say I miss the chance to tell more grounded stories that the Old World afforded.  AOS is awesome in a Greek gods kind of way, but where the setting is weakest right now is life fleshed out from the non-Godly perspective.  My namesake character Koradrel had a complete backstory and saga of accomplishments, because the old setting gave you a deeper pool to swim in.  I've struggled to do the same in AOS, though to be fair, it could be that up till now I haven't had a faction that I liked as much as I liked the High Elves.

I know exactly what you mean, and it’s likely a combination of you not having found “your” faction yet, the perspective of the setting being different (the old world was just closer not only to our world but many other fantasy settings), and AoS lore being still new. 

Besides the novels - Soulbound, an AOS-based RPG will come out in a few months, this did a lot to flesh out the the old world in the past, and I’m sure it will do it for AOS too. 

I think the Lumineth Battletome, maybe some Lumineth novels and the RPG will change things a lot for us old HE fans in that respect.

The High Elves was one of the first armies I painted and I loved them and the whole "Ulthuan" mythos, lore army list, history, Teclis, Tyrion and their illustrious /cursed Ancestry..... Anaerion.... 

Besides Chrace, White Lions, Hoath and Saphery I really loved the "Dragon Princes of Caledor" ; their whole paint scheme and armour and look was brilliant.... But I suppose they disappeared with Ulthuan......? 

5 minutes ago, Ian Wallsh said:

The High Elves was one of the first armies I painted and I loved them and the whole "Ulthuan" mythos, lore army list, history, Teclis, Tyrion and their illustrious /cursed Ancestry..... Anaerion.... 

Besides Chrace, White Lions, Hoath and Saphery I really loved the "Dragon Princes of Caledor" ; their whole paint scheme and armour and look was brilliant.... But I suppose they disappeared with Ulthuan......? 

They have for now unfortunately, but they may get reimagined. I just hope that there is an option along the same line as dragon princes at the very least. I think it’s a much needed motif. But, for now don’t give up hope until we see the whole range!

• Like 1

I dont want to go oft topic so short Archeon destroys one chain but is then caled back to Eightpiont when it is invaded Tyrion and Teklis presomebly moves the prison deeper into the realm to make it harder to find 

I understund the reson to use magic to damper feelings if you are the guards of Slaaners

21 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Aw man, not even out yet and they are already Jobers!

To be fair a garrison force (Spire of the Dawn sized?) versus a marshalled army led by Archon himself is fighting at overwhelming disadvantage, that is, if the point of the garrison force is to defeat the enemy rather than simply stopping it until the nearer active elements can intervene. It's still leaves a sour taste, however, GW never was good at writing engagements or presenting an epic conflict that'd be memorable.

• Like 2

There is also the tendency that the writing in the respective Battletomes tends to favor the Army which is it about, - of course the Slaves to Darkness are all powerful and amazing in their own Book, even if it is a Campaign Book. Also I would agree with @Tiger here - conflicts seem always so quickly decided when you read the Battletome lore.
It's interesting that this snippet is mentioning "aetherquartz spires" 😁

Aetherquartz has the capacity to dampen magical effects, if I remember correctly. Teclis' Tower of Prios weakened the Necroquake enough to leave Hysh (or at least the areas under his domain) considerably less effected than other parts of the Realms.

An aetherquartz tower would be an interesting terrain piece if it messed with the enemy's magic.

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

But, this is interesting in a small part. You would think Teclis or Tyrion would show up in person if Archeon got this far.

What happens after this?

When I first read the book I thought the same, but to be fair it’s a surprise attack and they get one sentence which says they fought fiercely. 

Damn their editing though. : ) I read the sentence with Tyrion’s and Teclis finest troops, and was screening down and on the next page  - dragons? Angel-like brings? Spirits?  Nope, just archers and spearmen with warmachines, grrrrrr : ) 

• Like 1

That’s one of the interesting things in the book. Malerion is not mentioned, and all of the defenders were Lumineth. It also says that Archaeon has one shot at freeing Slaanesh, if he fails (which he did because of the attack on Eightpoints), T&T would be able to hide Slaanesh again. 

So looks like Malerion and his DE as well as the freeing of Slaanesh are not going to come that soon. The book also confirms that the Realmgate between Hysh and Eightpoints is still open (same is true for Ulgu). So it might be that that is the main story of the Lumineth? After being attacked by Archaon, that they have to go on the offense and at least recapture the fortress on their side of the Realmgate? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

So it might be that that is the main story of the Lumineth? After being attacked by Archaon, that they have to go on the offense and at least recapture the fortress on their side of the Realmgate? 

Hysh has been hit hard by the Chaos and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that certain losses were expected, although, they probably hoped Archon himself won't get involved. What's the end game for the Twins is my question, claiming territory is pointless, if there's not enough people to defend it. Teclis is wary of the possibility that Slaanesh will eventually break free while Tyrion and Malerion don't seem to consider this possibility.

I hope there's more to the story, Slaanesh as the black hole that threatens the light of the elves is something that we already have with the Eldar. There needs to be something more, that's why I like the old lore.

17 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

But, this is interesting in a small part. You would think Teclis or Tyrion would show up in person if Archeon got this far.

What happens after this?

Archaon still is not a got. I am rather certain the story would be a short one if Archaon would face any god in person. So this won‘t happen.

edit: he is just a good tactician with powerful equipment and a multi-Daemon Mount.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Archaon still is not a got. I am rather certain the story would be a short one if Archaon would face any god in person. So this won‘t happen.

edit: he is just a good tactician with powerful equipment and a multi-Daemon Mount.

Well, he did fight and win against nagash himself, so I don’t know about that assertion too much to be frank.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, he did fight and win against nagash himself, so I don’t know about that assertion too much to be frank.

That point in the AoS story made me roll my eyes hard. Whenever s.o. Needs to prove his power that person kills Nagash the ever dying.

storywise from what we know about Archaon he shouldn‘t be able to fight a god. And there is a reason he never fought any god face to face (apart from Nagash but you don‘t k ow how much help Archaon had and Nagash didn‘t perish btw)