Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Wyliekyote said:

Sorry for the multi posting... having to much fun I guess...

IS there any precedence for a group to shift "allegiances". ie the Aelfs in the Cities {esp the Wood Aelves} say, come over and become a welcomed part of Tyrion's clan?  Since Alarielle has kinda sort of forsaken the Wood Aelves?  Those Shadow Warrios are awesome models and would be a cool part of Tyrion's more "military" based world.  And man, I wish they were allies to the Realm Lords!!!  After all, who else to show them the way of being an Aelf than them right?

A lot of people feel like investing in a CoS army is a gamble because who knows if the models are gona stay valid for long and GW does NOTHING to ease this feeling. No warcry support, not a single AoS model and with Lumineth they showed it again by not linking the Elves in the Mortal Realms with the elven deities and armies.

It royally ****** me off.

10 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

A lot of people feel like investing in a CoS army is a gamble because who knows if the models are gona stay valid for long and GW does NOTHING to ease this feeling. No warcry support, not a single AoS model and with Lumineth they showed it again by not linking the Elves in the Mortal Realms with the elven deities and armies.

It royally ****** me off.

I mean, isn’t it the same for things like imperial guard? The models are super old, but if they start getting pulled then holy carp the outrage would be enormous. I think both LoN and cities are reaching that point now, and with the new rules and the popularity of these armies, I think they would have the same amount of outrage if they go on another purge. 

Really, I think the main reason  most of those armies were squatted were the lack of rules incentivizing people to purchase, thus leading to lower sales and a target for removal. Granted, groups like the wanderers and ironweld may be on the chopping block if their rules are not good, so what do I know?

Man, I’ve been painting my Necrons for 40k the last month or so which as felt like an eternity, (without as many figures painted as I’d of liked by now! -_-) and I feel like I’m never gonna be able to get around to painting these glorious brotasticas! But at least I get to see your guys’ awesomely painted models, please keep posting more!

I also cannot wait for September, I may go broke...

Hello all.

After months of work, I have finally completed my Lumineth Wind Spirit. I posted an earlier version of this video in the anvil of Apotheosis thread, but thought that I should share the finished miniature here.

I decided to try my hand at using the Character creation tools in the latest Generals Handbook. I'll still probably end up using this miniature as an allied Akhelian king, but for friendly games, it feels cool to have a unique warscroll with some sense of balance.

Now that my Hero is complete, I can begin working on my Lumineth force proper.

It has been a blast creating this design from concept to completion. I look forward to sharing the painted miniature soon, and I also look forward to seeing what other unique creations people come up with the flesh out the Lumineth in Age of Sigmar.

loreseeker-on-spirit-of-the-wind.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

Quick question for people, How does Teclis spellcasting work, does he have to attempt to cast the number of spells he desinates at the start of the turn with his archmage ability, can he cast spell normally without the archmage ability and can he cast more than 4 spells if given the ability to do so by the Comatic cogs enless spell for example?

So I tried my last list with the Scyer/thralls and I just wasnt really sold on them. They can hit well, but they just die easily with their 5+ Armour. Plus the hero is pretty useless after he has used the ability (bar comedy value of hims throwing fish at people)

Reworked it a little so this is my next test:

Zaitrec
Scinari Cathaller - General, Fast learner, pretty pointless Zaitrec artifact tax (Ethereal/Solar Flare)
Scinari Cathaller - Silver Wand (Eclipse/protection)
Light of Eltharion
30 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Protection)
10 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Ethereal)
10 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Lambent light)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Eclipse)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Solar Flare)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Ethereal)
10 Vanari Auralan Dawnriders (Speed)
Auralan Legion
Hyshian Twinstones
Aethervoid Pendulum 

I also want to try a list with Gotrek cause he hits like a brick 

Zaitrec
Scinari Cathaller - General, Fast learner, pretty pointless Zaitrec artifact tax (Ethereal/Solar Flare)
Scinari Cathaller - Silver Wand (Eclipse/protection)
Gotrek Gurnisson
30 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Protection)
10 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Ethereal)
10 Vanari Auralan Wardens (Lambent light)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Eclipse)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Solar Flare)
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinals (Ethereal)
Auralan Legion
Hyshian Twinstones

Edited by Chumphammer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sennyo said:

Quick question for people, How does Teclis spellcasting work, does he have to attempt to cast the number of spells he desinates at the start of the turn with his archmage ability, can he cast spell normally without the archmage ability and can he cast more than 4 spells if given the ability to do so by the Comatic cogs enless spell for example?

Attempts - very likely yes
Cast normally - likely no

Chronomatic cogs etc. - likely no

But no one can say for sure until a FAQ. 

Finally started on my first Lumineth models and man, I think I've found my paint calling in life! Definitely not the best lumineth painter, but I find these guys waaay more fun to paint than my Idoneth lol. Here are my warriors of Ymetrica, who are currently being depicted as being out on campaign for the last several decades. I still definitely have some clean up to do on the Warden Commander.

Dp7omav.jpg

RdLo80q.jpg

fbk7ZTk.jpg

FJCEjtp.jpg

TuQFTh7.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

So anyone try out the army in a game yet?

I played a few 1000 points games before the new 40K edition stole all my free time. 

One observation I made, while I love Ymetrica and the Alarith units, I dont think they are viable in smaller games. To really work well, Stoneguard units need both Stonemages and Mountain Spirits/Avalenor. But to compensate, a list including Alarith units also needs some range, so either Sentinels or Dawnriders are a must-have. 

After that I tried a Vanari heavy Zaitrec list + Eltharion, and that fared much better. As Sentinels and Dawnriders allowed me to threaten objectives much more effectivly. 

That's sadly one of the issues also with the box as it came out. If you do not want to use too many stand-ins a Vanari list also has it's problems. I'll have my first 1,000 points game at the end of the month with mostly the units out of the 3 boxes I bought if all goes well. Hopefully mostly painted.

Zaitrec

Scinari Cathallar (bought a Mistweaver as a stand-in)

Eltharion

10 x Wardens

10 x Wardens

10 x Wardens

5 x Dawnriders

Goes to 850, leaving room for 2 Endless Spells (I bought the Malign Sorcery ones). But without the Sentinels it already feels like it won't really come together. I could drop the Cathallar and add 10 x Dawnriders (or 5 and the battalion), but I doubt I'll get those painted in time. Would likely be the better list though (the other play will field a CoS army with some Stormcast, so there will be some 1, 2 W units on foot in there), but the Cathallar sounds like really fun to play, and I'll also want to start learning to use that Warscroll. 

Anyway, would be great to hear more from people who already have experience with playing them. 

33 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Had my 4th 2k game with them today.

2 wins 2 losses so far (todays was a loss)

Was a good close game, but he got the double turn 2 into 3 and he managed to make the most of it (his Celestant prime and hurricanum were both on 1 wounds ) went to turn 5 

Any conclusion? What worked, didn't work? What are struggling with? Especially in comparison to theory crafting. You play a Vanari focused non-Teclis list right? If you have time, would be great to hear some details. 

So I just got through the battletome and I'm hyped to start painting. But does anyone else feel like this faction was split in half after the developers put the concept together?

I've never seen a battletome make such clear, consistent references to units that don't appear in the faction. There's mention of chariots and artillery, and the very strong indication that each of the four aelementari temples will have a military order and big avatar. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine each temple will have its own hero. The Vanari make up the bulk of the faction numerically, and the battletome makes clear that this is the case for both Teclin and Tyrionic forces. Hell, even the runes on the Vanari, Eltharion etc make reference to units that don't exist!

There's just no way that Tyrion gets his own faction given the fact that he'll be using Vanari and other Lumineth models as the fluff tells us. So I think it is only a matter of time before the Lumineth get an expansion. But this is unprecedented. And before anyone says "Stormcast" I don't think this is the same thing. The original Stormcast battletome functioned perfectly without the addition of the subsequent chambers. It might have been GW's intention all along to expand the faction, but they could just as easily decided to keep the theme going when they saw how popular Stormcast were in terms of sales.

The Lumineth battletome looks like the first half of a larger faction, which is very different. So, GW either realised that their dev team had created a huge faction which was too big for a single release on a purely practical level i.e. supplying that many new kits. Or they just want to give us a year or two to get our Vanari painted before they drop the rest of the range. But this still strikes me as very unusual from GW - the battletome definitely gives us a functional army and I'm really excited to get a legion of Vanari up and running, but it is a very slim book, and it feels like a leap of faith starting to invest in the Lumineth without having seen the full range.

What do you think? What's the reasoning behind obviously splitting a new faction in half but trying to push it through as a fully functioning range?

• Like 2

It’s a fully functioning faction. Of course, more models would have been better, but the only thing we are really missing is a generic melee hero. But the army does make sense as a mage centric Teclis faction, also from a lore point.There are definitely things in there though which are weird - a lot of the artifacts don’t seem to be made for the heroes that are going to use them. And like you said, they mention a lot of other units, show units that still don’t exist on the armour etc. It does give off the feeling a bit that something was cut, but that might also just us projecting because of unfulfilled expectations and their marketing. 

Why that’s the case? Who knows. Could be that the artists just came up with a whole lot of cool units, way too many to include them all. What Phil Kelly said  during the first reveal interview many months ago sounded a bit like that. And he also gave some hints again in a similar direction in his interview last week. Also it looks like they already have the Wind Temple models fleshed out and ready to go. Could also just be a Warcry Warband in the end though.

Another option is that GW just wants to keep all options open in case the Lumineth are successful and also to keep people somewhat happy that wanted Tyrion, Dragons, and all that, make them also invest in the army. I mean, saying there is artillery, chariots, scouts - doesn’t have to mean anything. That’s just what a normal army would have, but there aren’t any details given, and it doesn’t have to mean anything in the end. 

I hope we’ll see more, but there is so much what GW can do in AoS, it’s by no means certain we’ll see more for the Lumineth, or that they have planned anything yet.

It would be really cool though if they’d surprised us with a few more units (either Tyrion and friends or another temple) in a few months.

4 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

What do you think? What's the reasoning behind obviously splitting a new faction in half but trying to push it through as a fully functioning range?

Oh yeah, im pretty sure at least the Wind temple was fully designed when they wrote this book. I think we will get more kits sooner rather than later. 

This wouldn't be anything too unusual for GW. I dont know if you follow 40K, but they did the same thing with the Adeptus Mechanicus back in 7th edition. They first released the Skitarii as a fully functional faction, and later the Cult Mechanicus codex with more models. 

Or, more recently, the Primaris. GW has stated that all the Primaris units we got so far were all ready when the launched the 8th edition. They have just spread out the releases. 

7 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

So I just got through the battletome and I'm hyped to start painting. But does anyone else feel like this faction was split in half after the developers put the concept together?

I've never seen a battletome make such clear, consistent references to units that don't appear in the faction. There's mention of chariots and artillery, and the very strong indication that each of the four aelementari temples will have a military order and big avatar. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine each temple will have its own hero. The Vanari make up the bulk of the faction numerically, and the battletome makes clear that this is the case for both Teclin and Tyrionic forces. Hell, even the runes on the Vanari, Eltharion etc make reference to units that don't exist!

There's just no way that Tyrion gets his own faction given the fact that he'll be using Vanari and other Lumineth models as the fluff tells us. So I think it is only a matter of time before the Lumineth get an expansion. But this is unprecedented. And before anyone says "Stormcast" I don't think this is the same thing. The original Stormcast battletome functioned perfectly without the addition of the subsequent chambers. It might have been GW's intention all along to expand the faction, but they could just as easily decided to keep the theme going when they saw how popular Stormcast were in terms of sales.

The Lumineth battletome looks like the first half of a larger faction, which is very different. So, GW either realised that their dev team had created a huge faction which was too big for a single release on a purely practical level i.e. supplying that many new kits. Or they just want to give us a year or two to get our Vanari painted before they drop the rest of the range. But this still strikes me as very unusual from GW - the battletome definitely gives us a functional army and I'm really excited to get a legion of Vanari up and running, but it is a very slim book, and it feels like a leap of faith starting to invest in the Lumineth without having seen the full range.

Yep, it feel like half an army, and it shows.  Lack of non named heroes, the whole "say oponent you are on montain stance (but no other option).

IMO everything about the Lumineth release was a mess.

• Like 2