Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Do you guys think there will be situations where our wardens sit 3 inches away from the enemy, and wait for the charge, but the enemy just goes nope? Because I keep foreseeing this scenario in my head and it makes me laugh.

Also I do worry that our army relies a little too much on castling, and we won’t be able to compete on objectives.

Edited by Sleepers

9 hours ago, woolf said:

I think main challenge would be number of bodies on the board (in addition to speed as was highlighted). Teclis + Avalenor might be a bit too hefty of a points investment imo. I think I would lean towards skipping Teclis in the Stoneguard build (also with his +to cast aura he seems more synergistic with Vanari).

that would instead give you some room for eg archers. If you drop Teclis you would naturally also drop the endless spell(s) freeing up even more space. or perhaps include the twin crystal to power up your vanari if you want some more spell reliance.

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Speed doesn’t seem to be that much of a problem for his build. Two Dawnriders, plus Teclis plus one more unit with speed of light (potentially) is about as much speed as you can get with this the Lumineth, if you don’t go for a Dawnrider-heavy build. Teclis also helps with the one weakness the Alarith have besides speed - Mortal Wounds. Especially, as you likely won’t be that great with an Alarith build in the magic phase if you don’t take Teclis. So you won’t be able to prevent a lot of the incoming MW. With such a low body count, they don’t need that many to be able to cripple you. 

Avalenor on the other can help keeping Teclis alive, and is another shiny have-to-kill object on the table for the opponent. 

Bodies on the board is likely a problem though, that’s true. But, I think without some actual matches, it’s difficult to say. There are a lot of objectives in most of the new battle plans, and while Stoneguard are difficult to kill, many opponents don’t need to kill many to outnumber them on any given objective. And we still don’t know how much the push back ability will really help, if at all. 

I agree that speed doesn't seem to be a huge problem. You can always cast Speed of Hysh on your stoneguard to get their move up to an 8. Add a run to that and the dawnriders moving 14 and you're doing pretty well.

@woolf My issue with taking sentinels in the Alarith build is that your number of drops goes way up. The build I showed is four drop. Removing Teclis and adding Sentils+ brings your drops way up, thereby decreasing the chances of you going first. Yes you can take the Auralan battalion but at that point why not just play regular elves? I agree that bodies on the board is a problem and I'm not sure how we'll deal with that. I'm just not sure if the solution is mixing up an Alarith build.

One thing I'm thinking of for the Alarith build is to take endless spells that are large and that block movement. Teclis can cast the easy on turn 1 and it should make it harder for your opponents to get bodies on the objectives. If you can get to the objectives before them somehow you should be able to block them with the stoneguard who are very tanky if you play Ymetrica.

Anyway, that's my thought now. Of course without playing its impossible to know if there's anything to it...

18 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

I agree that speed doesn't seem to be a huge problem. You can always cast Speed of Hysh on your stoneguard to get their move up to an 8. Add a run to that and the dawnriders moving 14 and you're doing pretty well.

@woolf My issue with taking sentinels in the Alarith build is that your number of drops goes way up. The build I showed is four drop. Removing Teclis and adding Sentils+ brings your drops way up, thereby decreasing the chances of you going first. Yes you can take the Auralan battalion but at that point why not just play regular elves? I agree that bodies on the board is a problem and I'm not sure how we'll deal with that. I'm just not sure if the solution is mixing up an Alarith build.

One thing I'm thinking of for the Alarith build is to take endless spells that are large and that block movement. Teclis can cast the easy on turn 1 and it should make it harder for your opponents to get bodies on the objectives. If you can get to the objectives before them somehow you should be able to block them with the stoneguard who are very tanky if you play Ymetrica.

Anyway, that's my thought now. Of course without playing its impossible to know if there's anything to it...

Take 1 vanari legion and 1 Alarith battalion plus 1 Dawnrider unit and you have 2000 points. 3 drops, and best of both worlds. No Teclis though, and your taking min Units of stonegaurds to fit it all in.

Edited by Sleepers

35 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

hmm ye, i wound agree with you guys that speed should be fine, I didn't see that as the main issue although I can see that you would really have to make all out of each of the stone guards and they are ofc quite slow if u have bad luck with run rolls eg.

I would agree with you on the drop issue but I'd argue that the main reason you need low drop is for teclis so if you take him out a high drop is less of a concern, as your army would then have the tools to deal with going either first or 2nd.

it's this type of reasoning that has led me to thinking Teclis might just be a trap overall (and this probably more so in an alarith build)

8 minutes ago, woolf said:

hmm ye, i wound agree with you guys that speed should be fine, I didn't see that as the main issue although I can see that you would really have to make all out of each of the stone guards and they are ofc quite slow if u have bad luck with run rolls eg.

I would agree with you on the drop issue but I'd argue that the main reason you need low drop is for teclis so if you take him out a high drop is less of a concern, as your army would then have the tools to deal with going either first or 2nd.

it's this type of reasoning that has led me to thinking Teclis might just be a trap overall (and this probably more so in an alarith build)

Good point about Teclis being the reason for a low drop army. I guess I just accepted a while ago that this army wants low drops and never really thought about if that would still  be the case without Teclis.

And yeah, I agree that it may turn out that Teclis is a trap. I love slinging spells though so I will probably play him for fun even if he is :D 

4 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

Good point about Teclis being the reason for a low drop army. I guess I just accepted a while ago that this army wants low drops and never really thought about if that would still  be the case without Teclis.

And yeah, I agree that it may turn out that Teclis is a trap. I love slinging spells though so I will probably play him for fun even if he is :D 

haha ye he can probably be a pretty fun unit with all the flexibility from the different lores and also you need to play him a bit smart. and in certain matchups he will probably be pretty great.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sleepers said:

Take 1 vanari legion and 1 Alarith battalion plus 1 Dawnrider unit and you have 2000 points. 3 drops, and best of both worlds. No Teclis though, and your taking min Units of stonegaurds to fit it all in.

Yeah, at this point you might as well just drop the Alarith units and go for a regular aelf build since it’s probably much better. I’m trying to think of a way to get a good Alarith build.

1 hour ago, Gobboz said:

Yeah, at this point you might as well just drop the Alarith units and go for a regular aelf build since it’s probably much better. I’m trying to think of a way to get a good Alarith build.

I think I would go with something like:

Alarith temple (120)

Avalenor (360)

2x Stonemage (260)

15/10/10 Stoneguards (700)

10x Dawnriders (260)

20x Sentinels (280)

(total 1980)

Idea being that Avalenor and the Stonemage from the batallion would split up the stoneguards in the batallion between them so you can cover at least 2 parts of the board while still giving out the re-roll bonus. The extra stonemage im not 100% sure about but idea was for him to tail Avalenor to make him ignore dmg table (which makes him properly frightening) and also be able to use the free command ability from his Elder wisdom ability (just seems Avalenor wants a stonemage next to him).

The 35 Stoneguard should be a pretty tough core of an army, in particular in Ymetrica (which would be the natural choice here I would think although Syar/Iliatha could have some merit as well)

The Sentinels can pick off support heroes and help soften up key objectives for Dawnriders to then clear up before your Stoneguard gets there. Also the sentinels can be equipped with Speed of hysh to help you get where you want early in the game. Could also consider splitting up the Dawnriders and sentinels in more units to get access to more spellcasting options (although drops would go up ofc). Avalenor would take his retinue and just smash face wherever you really need to win.

Just theory ofc but some thoughts at least :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sleepers said:

Do you guys think there will be situations where our wardens sit 3 inches away from the enemy, and wait for the charge, but the enemy just goes nope? Because I keep foreseeing this scenario in my head and it makes me laugh.

Also I do worry that our army relies a little too much on castling, and we won’t be able to compete on objectives.

Yeah I can definetly see that. :D
However I am looking forward to charge with a block of Wardens after enhancing them with the all out Attack Command ability to reroll 1s to hit.
Just when your opponent least expects it --> charge with the Phalanx^^
well maybe after 2020 I'll be able to play again.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser

Yeah, the problem with Teclis is: 

Ok, great spells but it needs to start first and use his twice cast to become Ethereal and have FNP 5+.  So, more or less he becomes useless in order to survive. 

Alarith is good only if you pick Ymetrica. Which means that, if you pick Alarith, ignore rend -2 is so benefical that you can't avoid to get it. 

So, in the end you go for:

Ymetrica + knights maybe (some dispells and 1 cathalan for bravery)

Full vanari with a lot of sentinels. (maybe 2 drop high risk teclis or 3 drops with riders).

Edited by Raffonerd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, woolf said:

Alarith temple (120)

Avalenor (360)

2x Stonemage (260)

10x Dawnriders (260)

20x Sentinels (280)

(total 1980)

Idea being that Avalenor and the Stonemage from the batallion would split up the stoneguards in the batallion between them so you can cover at least 2 parts of the board while still giving out the re-roll bonus. The extra stonemage im not 100% sure about but idea was for him to tail Avalenor to make him ignore dmg table (which makes him properly frightening) and also be able to use the free command ability from his Elder wisdom ability (just seems Avalenor wants a stonemage next to him).

The 35 Stoneguard should be a pretty tough core of an army, in particular in Ymetrica (which would be the natural choice here I would think although Syar/Iliatha could have some merit as well)

The Sentinels can pick off support heroes and help soften up key objectives for Dawnriders to then clear up before your Stoneguard gets there. Also the sentinels can be equipped with Speed of hysh to help you get where you want early in the game. Could also consider splitting up the Dawnriders and sentinels in more units to get access to more spellcasting options (although drops would go up ofc). Avalenor would take his retinue and just smash face wherever you really need to win.

I like it, maybe with a Cathalan for bravery. I think is goint to be the all-rounder list.

8 hours ago, woolf said:

Alarith temple (120)

Avalenor (360)

2x Stonemage (260)

10x Dawnriders (260)

20x Sentinels (280)

(total 1980)

I like this list. I might try find a way to fit the spirit of the mountain if I were going Alarith without Teclis.

So played two games with my LrL now (one loss vs cities, one win vs Mixed Death) and some things I have noted about the units so far (as I have run a mix of everything, list below)

I am running:
Zaitrec
Light of Eltharion
Stonemage (General) Fast learner, Gift of Celennar
Cathallar: Silverwand
30 Wardens
10 Wardens
2 x 10 Sentinels
5 Dawnriders
5 Stoneguard
Avalenor
Legion
Twinstones

My breakdown so far:

Zaitrec: the +1 magic is really useful, but so far I haven’t had much chance to use their unique spell as I have other stuff I want to cast, plus the artifact/trait is meh. Might look at alt options

Light of Eltharion: very average so far. He died game 1 turn 3 to some demigryphs, and was shot off turn 1 game 2. His bubble is good for bravery, but without a better than 5+ FNP I find him to  be pretty easy to deal with. Might replace

Stonemage: lived both games, and taking assault of stone spell is useful. Main reason he is there is to support Avalenor

Cathallar: my main spell caster usually throwing out Eclipse and Protection. The battle shock ability has been good so far. Definitely a keeper.

Wardens: Love them. Yeah, they can be slowish as you don’t want to run/charge them unless you need to. With Ethereal/Protection and Legion on they can be pretty tanky. Good damage output also.

Sentinels: Good support and snipes like everyone expected. I might need more than 2x10

Dawnriders: not had much chance to shine. Died turn one both games

Stoneguard: Actually, been pretty useful. Though 4 mov, you can run them at least. With Avalenor giving them +1 attack they can be great support for 100pts. Might change my unit to 10

Avalenor: has been a mixed bag, but mainly due to my ****** dice rolls with him. Game one he soaked a lot of shooting attention and game 2 he did well enough.

Twinstones: great for the points and stable to my lists now.

SO, what next?

I will probably keep the same list for another game or 2 to see learn the army more, but I kinda might drop Eltharion and then boost 5 stoneguard to 10, and the 5 Dawnriders to 10.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raffonerd said:

Yeah, the problem with Teclis is: 

Ok, great spells but it needs to start first and use his twice cast to become Ethereal and have FNP 5+.  So, more or less he becomes useless in order to survive. 

Alarith is good only if you pick Ymetrica. Which means that, if you pick Alarith, ignore rend -2 is so benefical that you can't avoid to get it. 

So, in the end you go for:

Ymetrica + knights maybe (some dispells and 1 cathalan for bravery)

Full vanari with a lot of sentinels. (maybe 2 drop high risk teclis or 3 drops with riders).

I somewhat agree with Teclis, but he seems so matchup dependent it's crazy. Against mainly melee lists or short range shooting, he's probably going to be insane. If the opponent can't get to him, he's going to do whatever he wants, and the things he does, are insane. If the opponent only has minimal spellcasting (especially no bonuses to unbind or auto-unbinds), you can easily cruise the 4x auto-10 casts and get a lot of support off. If he's not going to be in danger, you don't need Ethereal either. If he's not spending spells on Ethereal and can automatically cast Protection + 3 other good spells, he's a powerhouse and probably can carry the game by himself. 

But, in matchups with a lot of strong magic on the other side, or strong long range shooting, he's a 660 point liability. Stormcast Longstrikes in the right build can remove him top of turn 1 fairly reliably. OBR Catapults can nuke him with somewhat lucky dice. Nagash will out-Wizard him and is stronger in melee to boot. 

I think the question will be, is he strong enough in the good matchups to make up for the bad ones? And can you build a list that still competes if he eats 16 wounds in turn one and dies? 

The closest comparison for him is Nagash or Alarielle (or Archaon, but that guy sucks). Nagash is way more durable, and his factions get to rez units to play the attrition game. Alairelle comes with line of sight blocking terrain, heals a bunch, and has some summoning in her army. The support pieces for Teclis are either Rend ignoring Alarith or -1 hit Vanari, both of which are good bonuses, but potentially not in the same way to support a 600+ point hero. 

I want to try out a Teclis + Vanari list, as I think that's likely the most viable way to run him, but I'm feeling that "Vanari warhost" or Alarith Temple will likely be more viable in the long run. 

11 hours ago, woolf said:

Alarith temple (120)

Avalenor (360)

2x Stonemage (260)

10x Dawnriders (260)

20x Sentinels (280)

(total 1980)

I've been thinking about this list as well as the comments by @Raffonerd and the play experience of @Chumphammer.

What do you folks think of this list:

Great Nation: Ymetrica
Battalion: Alarith
Avelenor
Alarith Stonemage
Scinari Cathallar
10,5,5 Stoneguard
2x20 Sentinels
2x 5 Dawnriders
Twinstones

78 bodies, 124 wounds, 2000 points

The idea is to take the list by @woolfand make it even more snipey with extra sentinels. You should be able to kill almost any hero with the two units and multiple if they're smaller support heroes. The dawnriders are there to take far objectives and the Alarith Battalion remains your castle. Cathallar and twinstones are there based on @Chumphammer's experience of them really shining.

I feel like this list has a lot of what we need. Bodies, decent magic, bravery trickery, sniping, tanky models with the alarith.

As much as I love Teclis, I think this list is way better without him. And if you really want to play Teclis (like I do), then drop the Cathallar, reduce the 10 Stoneguard to 5, Sentinels down to 10 each, and drop a unit of Dawnriders. That gives you 1980/2000.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

I've been thinking about this list as well as the comments by @Raffonerd and the play experience of @Chumphammer.

Avelenor
Alarith Stonemage
Scinari Cathallar
10,5,5 Stoneguard
2x20 Sentinels
2x 5 Dawnriders
Twinstones

The idea is to take the list by @woolfand make it even more snipey with extra sentinels. You should be able to kill almost any hero with the two units and multiple if they're smaller support heroes. The dawnriders are there to take far objectives and the Alarith Battalion remains your castle. Cathallar and twinstones are there based on @Chumphammer's experience of them really shining.

I feel like this list has a lot of what we need. Bodies, decent magic, bravery trickery, sniping, tanky models with the alarith.

As much as I love Teclis, I think this list is way better without him. And if you really want to play Teclis (like I do), then drop the Cathallar, reduce the 10 Stoneguard to 5, Sentinels down to 10 each, and drop a unit of Dawnriders. That gives you 1980/2000.

Thoughts?

My thoughts on Teclis:

It's A Trap! | Know Your Meme

List looks alright. Only thing I might change would be Maybe switching out the Sentinels to 10's and then having 2 x 10 Wardens to go behind the Stoneguard as extra damage support, but I think that increases you to 8 drops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chumphammer said:

My thoughts on Teclis:

It's A Trap! | Know Your Meme

List looks alright. Only thing I might change would be Maybe switching out the Sentinels to 10's and then having 2 x 10 Wardens to go behind the Stoneguard as extra damage support, but I think that increases you to 8 drops. 

a-trap-you-say-oh-my.jpg

But yeah, perhaps splitting the Sentinels is a good idea. I do like the idea though of being able to shoot almost anything off the board.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

Avelenor
Alarith Stonemage
Scinari Cathallar
10,5,5 Stoneguard
2x20 Sentinels
2x 5 Dawnriders
Twinstones

Thoughts?

ye could be an interesting variation, the twin stones always seemed like the best ES by a margin to me.

reason I used 2 stonemage rather than Cathallar (who clearly seems the better option with better ability, artefact access and spell lore) was that I thought it be good to have ability to split the stoneguards in two forces (2x10 and 1x15) with  both having access to a battalion hero for the RR save. and then the second stonemage is just there for avalenor synergy. 

with your version however you don't need 2 stonemage so I agree with Cathallar. I think problem might be in a scenario where you need to cover more board space as the 5man units are pretty small and sentinels clearly want to stay back.

cheers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elves are the best said:

Is it worth bringing Avalenor in a great nation other than Ymetrica even though he doesnt get the abilites for that nation ?

Would a normal spirit of the mountain be better for example syar ?

Avalenor is better in every way, other than the Rend of the weapon and being 20 points more expensive. I'd only ever run the base Spirit if I was out of Leader slots or desperately needed those 20 points, personally.

That might change down the line when points shift, but those are my thoughts currently.

2 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

So played two games with my LrL now (one loss vs cities, one win vs Mixed Death) and some things I have noted about the units so far (as I have run a mix of everything, list below)

I am running:
Zaitrec
Light of Eltharion
Stonemage (General) Fast learner, Gift of Celennar
Cathallar: Silverwand
30 Wardens
10 Wardens
2 x 10 Sentinels
5 Dawnriders
5 Stoneguard
Avalenor
Legion
Twinstones

My breakdown so far:

Zaitrec: the +1 magic is really useful, but so far I haven’t had much chance to use their unique spell as I have other stuff I want to cast, plus the artifact/trait is meh. Might look at alt options

Light of Eltharion: very average so far. He died game 1 turn 3 to some demigryphs, and was shot off turn 1 game 2. His bubble is good for bravery, but without a better than 5+ FNP I find him to  be pretty easy to deal with. Might replace

Stonemage: lived both games, and taking assault of stone spell is useful. Main reason he is there is to support Avalenor

Cathallar: my main spell caster usually throwing out Eclipse and Protection. The battle shock ability has been good so far. Definitely a keeper.

Wardens: Love them. Yeah, they can be slowish as you don’t want to run/charge them unless you need to. With Ethereal/Protection and Legion on they can be pretty tanky. Good damage output also.

Sentinels: Good support and snipes like everyone expected. I might need more than 2x10

Dawnriders: not had much chance to shine. Died turn one both games

Stoneguard: Actually, been pretty useful. Though 4 mov, you can run them at least. With Avalenor giving them +1 attack they can be great support for 100pts. Might change my unit to 10

Avalenor: has been a mixed bag, but mainly due to my ****** dice rolls with him. Game one he soaked a lot of shooting attention and game 2 he did well enough.

Twinstones: great for the points and stable to my lists now.

SO, what next?

I will probably keep the same list for another game or 2 to see learn the army more, but I kinda might drop Eltharion and then boost 5 stoneguard to 10, and the 5 Dawnriders to 10.

cool this is actually the exact same list I have been planning! except I was thinking this wardens in 2x20 units. my group is pretty relaxed so was mainly from want to include a bit of all to be fair but seems like a fun list :D

5 minutes ago, woolf said:

cool this is actually the exact same list I have been planning! except I was thinking this wardens in 2x20 units. my group is pretty relaxed so was mainly from want to include a bit of all to be fair but seems like a fun list :D

I am torn between both of these.

2 x 20 gives more versatility, as my unit of 10 did nothing game 2 bar cast Ethereal on the unit of 30

The benefit I have found of 1 big block is I can buff it for max effect (5+ Damage, Etheral, Protection, Cathallar) and take the brunt of the impact, while the other unit of 10 can run support.

Tbh I would love 3 x 20 lol. But its squeezing it in. I might be able to get 1 x 30 and 2 x 10 which might help for board control and having a punching force

6 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

I am torn between both of these.

2 x 20 gives more versatility, as my unit of 10 did nothing game 2 bar cast Ethereal on the unit of 30

The benefit I have found of 1 big block is I can buff it for max effect (5+ Damage, Etheral, Protection, Cathallar) and take the brunt of the impact, while the other unit of 10 can run support.

Tbh I would love 3 x 20 lol. But its squeezing it in. I might be able to get 1 x 30 and 2 x 10 which might help for board control and having a punching force

makes sense. tbh I think the "competitive" version of our army will be a bit more focused, eg losing eltharion as you said is probably stronger but hey he is a cool model and we just bought him in this shiny box so ofc I want to put him on the table!

i was really looking forward to put him in my IDK list just to teleport him with steed of tides.. but then GHB revealed LRL is not an ally choice in IDK for some stupid reason... :(

1 minute ago, woolf said:

makes sense. tbh I think the "competitive" version of our army will be a bit more focused, eg losing eltharion as you said is probably stronger but hey he is a cool model and we just bought him in this shiny box so ofc I want to put him on the table!

i was really looking forward to put him in my IDK list just to teleport him with steed of tides.. but then GHB revealed LRL is not an ally choice in IDK for some stupid reason... :(

I know, I really like the model and him for his points he looks great, but I need to see what he can do in actual games as atm hes not worth it.

I just came up with this which is simple and boring but tbh could be solid:

Cathallar
Cathallar
3 x 20 Wardens
3 x 20 Sentinels
Legion
Twinstones
1990. 2 drops