Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

5 minutes ago, fenriswolf2003 said:

Is there a change that LRL will get a battleforce this Christmas? Possible featuring the Alarith units?

Also gecktron your coats of arms look amazing and I hope you don't mind me using the zaitrec one

I think its likely that they get a Battleforce this year. Idoneth and Daughters of Khaine both get one when they were released two years ago (and from what we know, Lumineth were supposed to come out at a similar time). 

Sure, go ahead! 

It’s strange but in the army book, near the beginning there is a little short story blurb, and basically it involves the LRL coming to the « aid » of some city. But the interesting part for me is that there is a character in it who is a warrior of some sort, using a sword and armor etc, who gives orders to the the mages and is apparently the general...

... so where is our noble/general/non-mage hero option???

Ugh. It’s the one thing I wish they had added for launch, everything else can wait. But in fantasy games, the home-made heroes are so important in your army’s story, and at the moment I have the option of a rock mage, for an aspect of the faction that doesn’t interest me too much, or a very specific female wizard model who, whilst cool, isn’t really open to personalization.

• Like 3

I'm in love with these guys and I understand their battletome is mainly focused on world building for them, but despite the strange release and lack of units, I feel like some things are off.

The book seems to lack about 2 lore pages, usually the type to show more interactions between the other factions, nevermind idoneth allies. 

Feels like The Light of Eltharion was shoehorned in too, his only mention for a named hero is in the actual entry for him. 

Also, no painted model for tutorial for Syar seems odd, and a bit annoying.

The range, and lore however is great, chuffed with it. Maybe they'll get some 'Wrath of the Everchosen' release with rules for Loremasters, chariots, war machines and scouts. Maybe dreaming tho. 

Worried too with how the box didn't sell out fast, but maybe thats an age of sigmar thing vs 40k interest for people.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, ArchaicArc said:

It’s strange but in the army book, near the beginning there is a little short story blurb, and basically it involves the LRL coming to the « aid » of some city. But the interesting part for me is that there is a character in it who is a warrior of some sort, using a sword and armor etc, who gives orders to the the mages and is apparently the general...

... so where is our noble/general/non-mage hero option???

Ugh. It’s the one thing I wish they had added for launch, everything else can wait. But in fantasy games, the home-made heroes are so important in your army’s story, and at the moment I have the option of a rock mage, for an aspect of the faction that doesn’t interest me too much, or a very specific female wizard model who, whilst cool, isn’t really open to personalization.

Sword Wielding general can be a Warden unit leader.

All Alarith units can do the "Mountain stance" and the Stonemage can also do the "Stonemage stance" which nearby units then copy.  I can find nothing in the book that says you have to choose a stance, so I presume you can perform both stances at the same time - which could make for some interesting conversions :).

25 minutes ago, Adammck66 said:

Worried too with how the box didn't sell out fast, but maybe thats an age of sigmar thing vs 40k interest for people.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Pretty uncertain times financially at the moment, £110 isn't petty cash and only represents the tip of the ice berg if you intend to take LRL up as a new army.

I'm sure more modest purchases of additional units for existing armies or general hobby supplies have been doing well (people need stuff to do), but making the first down payment on a new faction may be too much for some who are otherwise interested in the faction.

• Like 2

This is also a different box, compared to some of the 40K ones which sold out fast. There are no exclusive units in there, and for most people buying one is enough. If you are just interested in the models there is no need to buy this at all right now. Especially as you can’t play with them anyway for at least another 2 to 3 months. 

I’m not sure what GW expected, but I think it’s good that such a box, which tries to bring new people into the game, isn’t sold out super fast, before most of those would even know it excited.

But who knows, the Lumineth might just not be that popular in the end. There are only very few warscrolls, and as many pointed out, no generic “my guy” hero, the Alarith are controversial, and for many former High Elf players they lack key units like dragons, heavy knights, great swords, war machines etc. If you go back in this thread, you can see many people who were super excited about the Lumineth because of the Pointy Aelves video, but then losing all interest in them because of the actual range of models.

On the other hand, I personally love what they did with the Lumineth (except for the lack of generic heroes), and if you look at this forum and other similar groups on the internet, they do seem to be popular, but it’s always hard to say. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

I wouldn't be that worried.  I really want to start a Lumineth army, and I barely could convince myself to pick it up.  I mostly got this box as a way to support my LFGS who had to survive on online sales for nearly 3 months. I also had a bit of money made from painting commissions which always go back into the hobby.

Otherwise, I would have very much waited.  The box is a long ways from having enough to build anything more than a 500pt army.  Has a bunch of extras/special edition stuff that really doesn't make it worth more than a Start Collecting and a Battletome for me (I got plenty of dice).   

For the same reasons, I think it is a poor product to buy and piece out for profit like I assume a good number of boxed sets often get purchased as.  Especially 'limited edition' type stuff.

Finally, I think there may be a number of  players out there like me who play both AoS and 40k.  That Indomitus box does look pretty good (and expensive) which I also plan to get and also had me reconsidering starting the Lumineth. 

• Like 2

I hope this army sold well, but remember the larger release is set up to come later on. Since there is no real savings (from what I read anyways) then I think People could just be either waiting for 40k’s new book to drop or for the full release to hit.

also, my worst nightmare when creating my dawn riders came true when I saw the broken piece I found belonged to the Steedmaster’s model that I wanted. He was an absolute ****** to put together, and there is a small gap where the horse is supposed to push together, which will always make me sad when I see it. Sill, can’t wait to paint him, and really can’t wait to play with them...

i am cursed so that super glue doesn’t work for me, so I shudder to think just how badly putting Eltharion together will suck.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

i am cursed so that super glue doesn’t work for me, so I shudder to think just how badly putting Eltharion together will suck.

mate, you need to 1) use plastic glue and 2) try gel based super glue (the liquid stuff produced by GW is a nightmare)

:D

Is anybody worried that when the next waves or Tyrion’s nations come out, the current 4 paint schemes might be out of date or different than what one might want? If I paint my spear men and horses ymetrican blue, and Tyrion comes out with an awesome green nation.... see where I’m getting at?

how are you all planning for this or is it kind of cross that bridge when we come to it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

Is anybody worried that when the next waves or Tyrion’s nations come out, the current 4 paint schemes might be out of date or different than what one might want? If I paint my spear men and horses ymetrican blue, and Tyrion comes out with an awesome green nation.... see where I’m getting at?

how are you all planning for this or is it kind of cross that bridge when we come to it?

Shouldn’t be a problem for me, I’m such a slow painter I probably won’t have gotten round to painting my Lumineth box till Tyrion drops anyway 😂

• Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

Not really seeing what you are getting at to be honest. Paint your models whatever colour you like the most, if you want them to be green then paint them green. You can use the rules for any nation regardless of how you have painted your models so that is not an issue.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

If you really like Tyrion, you might first worry about if he ever gets an army. They could just go with releasing the 3 missing temples for the next 3 additional Lumineth releases, which would cover something like 5 to 10 years ... . DoK have been out since many years, will get a warband soon, and Malerion is nowhere to be seen. There is a Kurnothi warband and lots of rumors, but no Kurnoth. 

Now to your question - one way to get around this is to make a background story and color scheme for your army that you like anyway. They can be from Ymetrica (if you like that GN), but do not have the blue/white scheme, because they come from an area with lots of volcanic activity, so they are red, black and gold for example (if you like those colors). Then you can easily incorporate new things, or change it to a new army, by making a fitting background for them. 

If you really only want to go with the official colors, then you could still put them together with their respective colors and say your army is an alliance between Ymetrica and YX Tyrion GN (and just use the rules for one of those). 

Otherwise, I mean you can come to regret any decision you make - having the wrong color scheme after having fun playing with it for years is probably not really something to worry that much about. : ) 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd also like to chime on on the starting box, and I agree with most other posters here that it is not a very good product at all. It seems to be designed as a catch-all product that instead fails to be interesting to anyone but the most hardcore fans. You only get a few models (470 points) so you cannot play any meaningful games with it. On top of that we know that there are no more models coming for a while so these are what you are stuck with for a while. And finally you get a lot of pretty interesting extras but they cost a fair amount.

The price is not too expensive if you want absolutely everything in the box (but most people probably don't) but it is also not a very good saving even if you do. However if you don't want every single thing in the box it becomes very expensive very fast. So you end up with a pricy product that seems to be about 50% flashy extras and only a small selection of models while at the same time you know the rest of the models are months off. Compare this to the Sisters box which had a similar staggered release, but instead contained a much better (and bigger) selection of models so you could start playing meaningful games with them right away.

Edited by Falkman
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

This is also a different box, compared to some of the 40K ones which sold out fast. There are no exclusive units in there, and for most people buying one is enough. If you are just interested in the models there is no need to buy this at all right now. Especially as you can’t play with them anyway for at least another 2 to 3 months. 

I’m not sure what GW expected, but I think it’s good that such a box, which tries to bring new people into the game, isn’t sold out super fast, before most of those would even know it excited.

On the other hand, I personally love what they did with the Lumineth (except for the lack of generic heroes), and if you look at this forum and other similar groups on the internet, they do seem to be popular, but it’s always hard to say. 

I picked up the box, partly because I love the models, partly because of FOMO, I love all the gaming extras that won’t be available later. What really made the decision for me was the price. I was expecting it to be higher (around £150) and nearly passed on the box altogether due to finances, but when I saw £82.50 from online retailer (Dark Sphere) I had to get it.

Do we know how many boxes were made compared to the SoB box?
I know it’s not an exact comparison as Sisters have needed plastic minis for a LOT longer so I’m sure the hype was greater. 
GW may have just made more Lumineth boxes than they did sisters?
I looked just now and Dark Sphere don’t have any available, they don’t even have a listing anymore. On preorder day IIRC it said they 250-300 available, so they’ve shifted quite a few and that’s just one independent retailer, let alone GW direct sales.

35 minutes ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

Can totaly relate to that, even though as the others have said, don't worry too much.
I spent an ungodly amount of time figuring out what paint Scheme I really wanted and painted a few minis many times over or bought test minis. :)
But I can really get where you are coming from - my Hobby Dream is always to lean heavily into one Theme and expand my own fluff aorund it. The idea with your Army being from a volcanic Ymetrica region is fantastic!
Maybe to give some Inspiration (but I also like brainstorming this):

-a Lumineth Army from a border-Region between 2 great Nations (Zaitrec White and maybe Pruple, with Light Blue Ymetrican Influence mixed in. As far as I understood it the Lumineth have comparatively few Cities - so each City having it's own Heraldy and Colour Mix has the potential to tell a lot. 

-a tested Company of (Vanari) Veterans who are just  that renowned that they are being identified by their primary colour: i.e. "The Black Company of Tor Xilion" --> (The Black Company written by Glen Cook is just on my reading list) :D

• Thanks 1

How do you think it will work when Tyrion is later released?

Will there be a new Lumineth battletome? And all new units rolled in one. Meaning we’re probably looking at 2-3 years away for a tome to be replaced.

Or could Tyrion lead his own faction? New units, new separate tome? Not that likely IMO.

Or perhaps Tyrion & co could be part of a Psychic Awakening style release? Where new units/models are outside of the main tome release/update cycle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

How do you think it will work when Tyrion is later released?

Will there be a new Lumineth battletome? And all new units rolled in one. Meaning we’re probably looking at 2-3 years away for a tome to be replaced.

Or could Tyrion lead his own faction? New units, new separate tome? Not that likely IMO.

Or perhaps Tyrion & co could be part of a Psychic Awakening style release? Where new units/models are outside of the main tome release/update cycle.

Im guessing first option. They have enough here for a wave one release, and enough other teclian units to justify any  awakening style releases. I’m guessing it’s a kurnothi/malerion deal where we will just have to wait a good while.

but this is COOL, like it’s similar to when WHFB just started up, I’m really just trying to appreciate the sheer creativity Nd originality of being in the early times of a new game.

• Like 4

I'd wager the same a @ArchaicArc . We get a new updated Lumineth Battletome if they really reveal Tyrion with several additional units. I can't imagine him being another faction. A Psychic Awakening style one also could be possible. A "Slaanesh Awakening" with additional troops for all factions could be fun for example. 

@GrimDork I think we don't know any specifics about how many things they make and how many they sell. Afaik one of the big differences between the SoB box and the Lumineth one is that the SoB had exclusive units in them, which you couldn't buy otherwise. 

• Like 1