Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Hmm, that new hammer definitely makes me think we’re getting a hammer unit. Interestingly, it looks like we could potentially be getting different bits to denote which element the army is devoted to. This one looks like a mountain rock inspired one, whereas the other looked like maybe wind. 

Edited by Tiberius501

IMO:

The hollow hammer and the stone moon are tips of wizard staff. The wizards will have several options to represent elements.

The solid hammer will be a dual kit with Swordmasters.

The "normal centerpiece" will de Tyrion on a mount with options for non named character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@Tiberius501 Have some faith friend!  And I posted this over in the rumor section, I'm not sold on those "hammers" being actual weapons.  The staff they are both connected to seems too flimsey for a weapon, and both of the "hammer heads" look to be made of different materials.  I think it has something to do with the various subfactions.

@Mr2spyderguy Welcome aboard!  It's a good time to be a Pointy Aelf!

Thank you Koradrel, I am glad to actually get to play pointy Aelf's proper this time!

I honestly don't see it.  Hammers just don't fit the graceful Aelven aesthetic.  Both of the pictures look more like some kind of decoration or totem.  GW has been doing a much more realistic scale with their sculpts recently.  With that in mind, the "heads" of those hammers are too big for the shaft they are attatched to, and the shaft itself doesn't have anything to really support the "hammer" part itself.  The joining point on both looks very ornate and flimsy.  I suppose you could counter and say "magic hammers!", but that still doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

While that's been true for most other factions, everything they've said about the Lumineth points more toward evolution than different direction.  They are Teclis' attempt to re-create what was, rather than going in the completely opposite direction.  And even with everything else they've done, they've kept the relatively slender builds that the High Elves had of old.  Axes would make more sense than hammers with a physique like that, as you can get descent damage from an axe still with momentum and finesse, where as hammers are about pure physical strength.

Unless I am completely off base and we get a unit of hugely muscular aelves who go around hitting things with hammer!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace

34 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I honestly don't see it.  Hammers just don't fit the graceful Aelven aesthetic.  Both of the pictures look more like some kind of decoration or totem.  GW has been doing a much more realistic scale with their sculpts recently.  With that in mind, the "heads" of those hammers are too big for the shaft they are attatched to, and the shaft itself doesn't have anything to really support the "hammer" part itself.  The joining point on both looks very ornate and flimsy.  I suppose you could counter and say "magic hammers!", but that still doesn't seem right.

this is exactly my thoughts, this is why I dont think that those items are hammer weapons for Aelves. I think more likely its a part to something greater or its a staff decoration/adornment.

• Like 1

I think hammers could work, do them right and they're suitabbly elvish. Axes were hardly a big part of the old High Elf aesthetic but a semi-barbarous take on them with the White Lions worked and still emphasised skill and a certain elegance. In the same vein the dude behind the Dresden Codak webcomic did some sketches of a young Galadriel from LotR wielding a hammer to represent the Noldorian elves' background as craftspeople and blacksmiths. Always thought that looked pretty badass.

Making these hammer wielders something like adherents of Vaul (or an AoS recreation of him) would work or make something about how their use of aetherquartz/earth magic means they can wield a colossal hammer with all the grace of a human with a rapier. Give them suitable poses and it could be cool.

That being said, the hafts really are spindly. They could be hammers-as-weapons but then they run the risk of looking like comical Harley Quinn-style carnival mallets. As banner toppers though they seem kind of plain and weirdly proportioned as well; I'm struggling to imagine a banner or totem that looks good with a big mallet on top. Some sort of semi-ceremonial hammer-stave for a priest or wizard-type dude would still look a bit odd but might make more sense.

Edited by sandlemad

The details are too fine for it to be a counterweight, look at the little metal studs at the base of the shaft, that's exactly the sort of thing you'd see on a weapon haft.

I'm not at all a fan of Elves with hammers, especially with those proportions, but it honestly doesn't look like anything else.

4 hours ago, Dollface said:

"This is it. This is the Rumour Engine image that’s going to catapult you into internet fame."

What if this is the counterweight for a trebuchet, not a hammer at all.

c3bb5445.jpg

I know other people dissagree, but I am right there with you after a second look. Definitely looks like a counterweight to a catapult. the fact that it is overly designed when we are talking about aelves focused on perfect geometry should be pretty expected for some pompous gits like the Lumineth. The other give away is the fact that some of the casing looked cracked and a little ill used, but that may just be an earthen style design.

That said, I could imagine elves using hammers in some context. Hammers are designed to amplify hitting power with momentum, so an elf with a hammer using to bash armor in could be interesting. Plus, we do not know if aetherquarts doesn't boost the strength of these guys just yet.

if this is for a catapult, I think this is bloody great, especially with the new (super expensive) siege rules that have just came out.

Edited by Acid_Nine

I also think this is not a war hammer, for the same reason as others. What would be the handle looks too flimsy. More like some of the decorative parts on the helmets we have seen so far. Could be from a mage staff or something, but I hope not.

Does the wording in the Rumor Engines provide such hints? If so then it seems to be likely to come from some kind of war engine. 

It's definitely an  interesting pick. It brought us successfully through another day without real news for the Lumineth. 5 to go. 

What about this other rumour engine that looks similar? I dunno, these look way too much like large hammers to me. Stormcast hammer hafts are just as thin if you look at the Retributors. 

EDIT: In fact, this has that stony affect in the head as well, there’s some highlighted cracks if you look closely. So my guess is that the normal guys have this one, and that new one will be a special weapon in the unit.

EF616593-0B45-4599-A2CA-9E620707127C.jpeg

Edited by Tiberius501

Don't give up on your greatswords yet : ) . That one does look even less like a warhammer to me. It likely has something to do with their magic, one of those being stone maybe, and the other wind/light. 

The Retributor shaft don't look that thin to me. But then of course you'd expect Aelven weapons to be more delicate than Stormcast ones. But still, those don't look like weapons to me (not impossible of course).  

SCE Hammer.png

10 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

While that's been true for most other factions, everything they've said about the Lumineth points more toward evolution than different direction.  They are Teclis' attempt to re-create what was, rather than going in the completely opposite direction.  And even with everything else they've done, they've kept the relatively slender builds that the High Elves had of old.  Axes would make more sense than hammers with a physique like that, as you can get descent damage from an axe still with momentum and finesse, where as hammers are about pure physical strength.

Unless I am completely off base and we get a unit of hugely muscular aelves who go around hitting things with hammer!

Tbf we have no idea if the crack cocaine they snort gives them a strength boost not reflective of their size. 

i think it makes sense for an earth element themed unit. And perhaps the (potential) earth element troops will be physically larger then their kin who knows.

See, this one I think is even less a warhammer.  Taking a chunk out of the middle of the hammer like that would rob it of it a lot of weight and damage potential.  Also, on both of these pics, this shape of the objects that are the "heads" extends incredibly far to the side of the shaft.  I do have to admit, these pics have me very curious as to what they actually are, and I'll happily eat crow if I am wrong.

@TheadTheOgorSlayer that is an very valid point!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace