Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

2 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Your idea with a few mages and lots of core troops sounds good and will look great, I’m sure. I guess many people will also make non-Teclis Ymetrica armies, the Battle Cattle look like they are going to be a lot of fun to play. 

This is what im going for! Its not that I dont like Teclis, but I tend to play smaller games, so bringing a 660 point model would be a bit much. 

I like the lore and design of the Alarith models (especially the mountain spirit with the large hammer). And the great nation of Ymetrica sounds like a perfect fit to me. Im waiting to see how some of the alternative color schemes look in real life, but im also thinking about doing my own color scheme. Similarly to the studio scheme, but I would switch the creme color for some dark greys, dark blues and some white/silver as accent color (grey for the stone of the mountains, white for the snow covered peaks, and blue for the sky). 

Im also thinking about doing this with my Stoneguard models: 

Guard.PNG.940b67b1f69969d28607a4398bc930a4.PNG

Its not that I dislike the stock models, its just that I like THIS look very much! 

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

This is what im going for! Its not that I dont like Teclis, but I tend to play smaller games, so bringing a 660 point model would be a bit much. 

I like the lore and design of the Alarith models (especially the mountain spirit with the large hammer). And the great nation of Ymetrica sounds like a perfect fit to me. Im waiting to see how some of the alternative color schemes look in real life, but im also thinking about doing my own color scheme. Similarly to the studio scheme, but I would switch the creme color for some dark greys, dark blues and some white/silver as accent color (grey for the stone of the mountains, white for the snow covered peaks, and blue for the sky). 

Im also thinking about doing this with my Stoneguard models: 

Its not that I dislike the stock models, its just that I like THIS look very much! 

An Alarith army will be my second one, I really love the lore behind it and think all the models for them are awesome. Plus smashing things around with big monsters is always fun. The whole mountain zen-warriors contemplating about the world, and solving the problem what to do when the battle doesn't come to the mountains - take the mountains to the battle! - fluff is great. I was thinking about a similar color scheme to yours for them - more like Teclis looks in his artwork (less cream, a bit more grey, silver and darker blues). 

Cutting off the heads like this also looks good! 

We also play a lot of smaller battles, so I also have to think about a Zenith army without Teclis, either MOA MAGES or with Eltharion, also have to use that model. 

@Chumphammer I found a copy of the leak of the page showing the Zaitrec and Iliatha color schemes, including the armour (but those are both gold, so they are different from the one you need).  I'm sure they also have one for the standard look (I guess Ymetrica) they have used for all their showcases.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Do we know what colour they used for the Armour?

I did a test idea for a scheme i might use (I am not the greatest painter and this is just colours thrown on a Phoenix guard to get an idea)
20200622_150958.jpg.59fb76fe51dfe616f3a8c2f15bfdecd2.jpg

At the GW site you can see the colors they used for the box art. They have the usual classic paint choices and the contrast version. As far as for the other Grand Nations and their paint themes I haven't found it yet but I am sure it's in the box set when it arrives.

I think I may paint them either like ziatec or iliatha, but I for sure want to use those turboshift paints.

listened to the bad dice pod cast and man they are loving on teclis. Half the conversation was about him, and they do mention how the sudden drop lists hurt him a lot. They didn’t really talk about armies without him though, and I think they obsessed about him way way too much. With every unit being a wizard we can still throw so much magic around without him, and the twin stone may be the biggest lynchpin for us to use. Sad that the rune of petrifaction is so bloody expensive though.

also, I think with the way they talked about screening and covering space is valuable. The LRL really have to be careful to not stay attached to the shining company rules. If we need to spread out we should, if we need to charge we should. It’s not a in stone restriction, so we have to be careful to know when to hold the line and when to spread out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I think I may paint them either like ziatec or iliatha, but I for sure want to use those turboshift paints.

listened to the bad dice pod cast and man they are loving on teclis. Half the conversation was about him, and they do mention how the sudden drop lists hurt him a lot. They didn’t really talk about armies without him though, and I think they obsessed about him way way too much. With every unit being a wizard we can still throw so much magic around without him, and the twin stone may be the biggest lynchpin for us to use. Sad that the rune of petrifaction is so bloody expensive though.

also, I think with the way they talked about screening and covering space is valuable. The LRL really have to be careful to not stay attached to the shining company rules. If we need to spread out we should, if we need to charge we should. It’s not a in stone restriction, so we have to be careful to know when to hold the line and when to spread out.

With all the games I have played and armies I always painted my own theme, but for once I am willing to just do the box art. I love the other Grand Nations themes and the original one as well but just for a new fun experience I will stick with the box art.

I listened to that podcasts as well and I agree with you. I think its because so many people wanna make it the easiest as possible when doing things (in this case casting spells). Its like when you have something so nice its naturally hard to try things that aren't as nice. I think think both style of lists are fun and work really well. I personally am trying the Teclis elves list just for the sake that its more elvish. I do like the other style and theme a lot too but I wanna try the elves first. Overall, from what I have seen/heard I am very excited about Lumineth and what GW has created. 

Edited by TeclisGod

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Totally, I was actually thinking about things a different way just now, where with Zietrec we have one of the cheapest mage characters. Just take 5 stoneguard as a caster.

10 wounds, 4+ AS, +1 to cast, dispel, unbind. 2 spell choices. Can do a little work in combat if needs be. I dont know many other mages in the game (Bar a sorceress and battlemage for 90) that cheap. 

Doesnt matter if they are slow if they are just being casters lol

Hmmm. I might look into that. Could work with Eltharion.

Like above but maybe drop some knights

Zaitrec
Eltharion: 220
Scinari Cathallar: 140
30 Wardens: 360
10 Dawnriders: 260
5 Stone Guard: 100
10 Sentinels: 140
Auralan Legion: 120
60pts for endless spell

So Eltharian middle Flanked by Wardens

Sentinals behind with the Stoneguard in support as casters
Dawnriders go off to harass, or act as a support charge unit 
8 units with 2 spell choices each
So 8 casts, 8 dispels. All at +1 to cast and unbind.

Maybe a choice item if any in the book for the Scianri as well (Stoneguard can bodyguard her if general)

Could even drop the 2nd unit of Wardens for a Megacow

Edited by Chumphammer

34 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Totally, I was actually thinking about things a different way just now, where with Zietrec we have one of the cheapest mage characters. Just take 5 stoneguard as a caster.

10 wounds, 4+ AS, +1 to cast, dispel, unbind. 2 spell choices. Can do a little work in combat if needs be. I dont know many other mages in the game (Bar a sorceress and battlemage for 90) that cheap. 

Doesnt matter if they are slow if they are just being casters lol

Hmmm. I might look into that. Could work with Eltharion.

Like above but maybe drop some knights

Zaitrec
60pts for endless spell

So Eltharian middle Flanked by Wardens

Sentinals behind with the Stoneguard in support as casters
Dawnriders go off to harass, or act as a support charge unit 
8 units with 2 spell choices each
So 8 casts, 8 dispels. All at +1 to cast and unbind.

Maybe a choice item if any in the book for the Scianri as well (Stoneguard can bodyguard her if general)

Could even drop the 2nd unit of Wardens for a Megacow

Unfortunately Stoneguard and the mountain cows are not mages. Just everything else

Just now, Chumphammer said:

Erg. They really are ****** lol

So much for "their all wizards"

I don’t think their bad, but you have to really build into them to make them good. You have to go Ymetrica, and then stack the buffs on to get them to be good. Even then, they are really only going to be durable, not overly punchy, but definitely very viable.

1 minute ago, Sleepers said:

I don’t think their bad, but you have to really build into them to make them good. You have to go Ymetrica, and then stack the buffs on to get them to be good. Even then, they are really only going to be durable, not overly punchy, but definitely very viable.

it was more for dramatic effect lol

Suppose you could do:

Zaitrec
Alarith Stone Mountain: 340
10 Wardens: 120
10 Wardens: 120

Emerald Life Swarm: 40
5 Drops, use the 2 units of 10 Wardens as Casters. Again could swap the Alarith and lifeswarm for 30 More Wardens

6 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Erg. They really are ****** lol

So much for "their all wizards"

They didn’t actually say that everyone was a wizard, they made it very clear who was. The article said ”And everyone is a wizard” as a header but then clarified ”Oh, and one more thing – your baseline units are Wizards. You see, as students of Teclis, the warriors of the Lumineth Realm-lords are keenly attuned to magic, so all Vanari units   – in case you’ve not been keeping up, that’s the pikemen, horsemen and bowmen – can cast magic.” right away, so I don’t know why everyone seem so upset about that.

We still don’t know if Eltharion is a mage either since he doesn’t have the wizard keyword or anything about magic on his warscroll.

Agree with a unit of Stoneguard on their own being less than impressive but Stoneguard with all the Ymetica, Cow and Alarith buffs are more impressive than the Spearmen buffs on paper.  Both full on Alarith and Vanari army builds will be both viable though.

I’ve built 5 lists now, 1 being all Vanari units, 1 being all Alarith units, 2 being 1k versions of those, and 1 that’s a mix. Gotta say, I’m really enjoying focusing on the different themes with these guys. They may have a small amount of units but it all seems pretty well realised and internally balanced. 

• Like 2

If you don't take Teclis I don't think your drop count is particularly important. But, if you want the choice I would suggest trying to be 4 or fewer drops. 

If you are lacking in Heroes for Places of (arcane) power I would take a look at Volturnos and the Eidolons. 

Edited by whispersofblood

32 minutes ago, woolf said:

Guys whats your view on including Idoneth units as allies? Was thinking maybe eels + soulscryer might make sense for some added flexibility to hit back-lines (e.g. catapults)?

Think it would be decent enough to try out. Depending on how much points the actual army itself soaks up to work properly but having something to ambush is always worth cosidering.

2 minutes ago, The_Lost_Deputy said:

Would the lack of options for allies indicate a Tyrion force later down the line?

I feel it's more reflective of a notion that Hysh was isolated from the rest of the realms, another possibility is that GW is going to use the long used archetype of elves not liking to work with non elves. Personally feel Fyreslayers, CoS and Sylvaneth should be on the list. Wouldn't be surprised to see the list expanded in the future.

48 minutes ago, woolf said:

Guys whats your view on including Idoneth units as allies? Was thinking maybe eels + soulscryer might make sense for some added flexibility to hit back-lines (e.g. catapults)?

Souldscryer and 20 Thralls are 390 so fit, and make a decent outflanking force as they can come on from any side with decent combat stats.

The bonus is okay but not the strongest (neither is the cavalry battalion bonus). I think a lot of it will depend on which artefacts we can take, if there are multiple useful artefacts the battalions become more interesting.

What I really like about all of them is how easy they are to achieve though, you are basically taking the components of at least one of the battalions in your list anyway, so no jumping through hoops just to get them.

Edited by Falkman
  • Like 2