Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

• Subscriber

Got in another 3.0 game with my Sons today.  I’m far from a tournament regular but in general (play 2-3 a year normal times) I like to have played the army I’m going to play at least twice as many times pre-tournament as games which will be in tournament.  Preferably at least half of those with my list in close to it’s finished form.  Given this my first tournament of a new edition would like to be at it above that.

But with the tournament rushing up I might not even be equal to the five games for the tournament before I pack things up and head to the hotel…  Apologies in advance I guess to my opponents that I might not be giving you the best game.  Fortunately Sons at least plays fast…

I will go with the common sense of making my Footsloggas unified to try to claim priority.  But it’s too late to change the models in the list up so I can’t drop the Mancrushers.  I still like having them in my army, don’t get me wrong.  But the games I have played have highlighted how they set up my opponent for VPs.

With Predators & Prey my opponent should have a good shot at 5 VP if the game goes the distance.  Broken Ranks and Bring it Down! also seem almost givens as Battle Tactics against my list adding another 4-6 VPs to my opponent’s score card.  Now bonus VP for battle tactics swing our way too but I’m wracking my brain to either come up with ways (again besides dropping the Mancrushers as it’s too late for that) to offset this.

From those with more games in bank any thoughts?  Am I overthinking this?

Yeah, I feel you. I've played three games with Sons and I feel like I can take them to a tournament and do okay.

I got a singles event 3/10 to practice for teams 30/10. Legitimately looking forward to it.

I had two games Saturday against Wanderers. Holy ****** does Blades do work. I had my Breaker with Amulet, Arcane Shield and AAD take 38 damage in a round from buffer Bloat Drones or whatever.

First game he killed a gargant and conceded bottom of two, having scored zero primary.

Second game I changed tactic, hold back back and not rush him. Lost the Breaker (the 38) and Kraken redeployed 6 to safety next turn.

I ended up losing two gargants all said, opponent conceded turn 3 having scored zero primary again.

He was an experienced player, but it was rough. Mortal wounds done in my turn were super rough.

And here's some work in progress shots. I'm commissioning a buddy of mine to paint my army. Viking inspired frost giants. Here's some WIP shots he sent me this morning.

received_3067795016825715.jpeg

received_152609837027218.jpeg

received_181567540724745.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, PlasticCraic said:

I wrote up some Sons lists with the new WD rules that I think are quite competitive, one for each Tribe if you're interested:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2021/09/03/sons-of-behemat-white-dwarf-update-part-two-the-lists/

I like these had similar ideas myself but my main question is do I buy and paint a 4th mega just for my 9 mancrushers to all sit on the shelf. Although triple artifact 4 mega on paper looks like it probably is the strongest build now. I especially like the stomper list very similar to what I was thinking. The bravery 10 bubble shores up some key weaknesses and the buffed hero healing is a bonus. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

I like these had similar ideas myself but my main question is do I buy and paint a 4th mega just for my 9 mancrushers to all sit on the shelf. Although triple artifact 4 mega on paper looks like it probably is the strongest build now. I especially like the stomper list very similar to what I was thinking. The bravery 10 bubble shores up some key weaknesses and the buffed hero healing is a bonus. 

4 Megas is my preferred direction, but there are people doing well with 3 + 3 and even 2+ 6 (I'd avoid the latter personally).

Sounds like you already have 3 Megas in which case I would say you'll be fine with 3 of them and 3 babies.  I happen to like 4 Megas, but it's not essential.  3+3 is a good army too, and lets you use the models you already own.

• Like 1