Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah I was thinking about that perfect points lineup now.  So symmetrical!  I think with the hit bonuses the Mobs are probably better than a pair of Warstompers.  With a Breaker Tribe we definitely want at least 2 Gatebreakers.  3 with 2 Mancrushers works but leaves points unused, except for an almost guaranteed Triumph.

Awesome Battle Report dude! Also lovely to see cities being represented. When it comes to the perfect points lineup list. Because of the Footsloggas Core Bat. now you have 3 drops. Which will most likely outdrop any other Sons list out there, which is competitive enough to compete. It might have some true merit to it. 

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, That Guy said:

Awesome Battle Report dude! Also lovely to see cities being represented. When it comes to the perfect points lineup list. Because of the Footsloggas Core Bat. now you have 3 drops. Which will most likely outdrop any other Sons list out there, which is competitive enough to compete. It might have some true merit to it. 

Thanks!  I like doing them.  Good point on the lower drops.  I think for faster armies especially choosing to go first can pay off big time.

Another thing I liked about the many Kraken Eaters in this game is they can usually snuff out a few tiny models every turn when they pile in from their nets.  And if they're lucky, maybe some Stormcast sized models.  Getting rid of banners or special weapons right away can pay off later a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all brothers, in a few weeks I will have a big tournament in my city (about 80 people) and I am very undecided between these 2 lists:

Breaker Tribe (bossy pants and clever clogs)

- Kragnos

- Gatebreaker (Louder than word, Enchanted Portcullis)

- Gatebreaker (Amulet of Destiny)

- Mancrusher Gargant

Or :

Breaker Tribe (bossy pants and clever clogs)

- Gatebreaker (Louder than word, Enchanted Portcullis)

- Gatebreaker (Amulet of Destiny)

- Warstomper (Arcane Tome and Flaming Weapons)

- Warstomper

I'm playing the list with Kragnos recently and it gives me a lot of satisfaction (especially in mirrors) but the list with 4 megagargants gives me the impression of being more solid ... I'm really undecided, could you help me?

On 1/20/2022 at 10:11 AM, Red_Point said:

I'm playing the list with Kragnos recently and it gives me a lot of satisfaction (especially in mirrors) but the list with 4 megagargants gives me the impression of being more solid ... I'm really undecided, could you help me?

Basically this. Kragnos can be fun, but the list loses a bunch of wounds. Kragnos is very matchup dependant and can wreck some armies while getting 1 shot against others with enough MW output, the 18 wounds for 720 pts and only 6+ ward can drop fast.

The charge range is a big deal to create mind games, as it makes a big difference in many battle plans on where the opponent feels "safe". 

I'd say the 4 big guys with either 2 artifacts or as a 1 drop is the safe choice. Kragnos will be more lopsided in some matches and will probably give a less consistent performance, however it might also be more fun.

Had a brutal game vs Legion of Blood Soulblight today.  He had 2 Necromancers, Neferata, Wight King on horse for the general, Coven Throne, 2x10 Dire Wolves, 30 skeleton horde unit, and a 30 grave guard horde unit.  Mission Power Struggle.  I had Taker Tribe, Kraken Eater w Intimidating and Sandals, Kraken Eater w Vial of Venom, another Kraken Eater, and a Gatebreaker w Amulet of Destiny (2 Bosses of the Stomp).

Sons went first and did Ferocious Advance ( the usual).  He did the same.  Giants ahead by 2 cuz Monsters and they had a point for scoring more objectives than the other player.  

Turn 2 Boneheads got Priority, he got all the buffs on the Graveguard, and a couple debuffs on me.  By end of turn 2 I had 3 dead megagargants almost all from the Graveguard!  They have a guaranteed 6" charge, had a spell to ignore rend on them, +1 to hit/wound/save on them from a Neferata CA, and could attack twice until his next hero phase from the Danse Macabre spell, and Neferata had a bubble of 12" -1 to hit on me, plus another -1 to hit on one mega and a -1 attack on the general too.  Absolutely bonkers how good those things were!  Called it after the Gatebreaker fell at the end of my turn 2.  I'm still in shock and have to think about my life choices now.

Not sure if letting him go first would have helped much as he'd have everything all jazzed up already and have 60 models on the center objective.  However had I focused all boulder throwing onto the Graveguard (had I realized how amazeballs they were) I could maybe have softened them up and then charged for some MW.  But those would be some long charges to make.  Guess holding back and making 4 charges into them, plus 3 Kraken Eater nets, that could have taken a big chunk out of them.  Hard to nail heroes with the rocks with Look Out Sir.  

Lesson is CHARGE, or don't.  Also if you run, DON"T run towards the Graveguard!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Designing some Gargant dice, trying to get quotes on 19mm size.  Anyone know of any good affordable custom dice makers?  I tried customdice.com but the cheapest they're quoting me is like $3 per unless I order a couple hundred (only really want like 10).  

Gargants Dice 3D a.jpg

Gargants Dice 3D b.jpg

Gargants Dice PDF layout.jpg

Those are awesome. I would love to own a set.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EasyArmy said:

Those are awesome. I would love to own a set.

Ooh, that's 2 people!  The customdice.com guy quoted me $5 per dice if I make 20-49 of them, which for a set of 10 would be $50.  I think I'd be willing to shell out $50 for a set.  I mean a set of 8 GW Ogor dice (same size at 19mm) cost at least $40 new.  I'll make a new thread to see if anyone else is on board. 

At 50 dice they go down to $4 each.  So if 5 people want a set of 10, we're in normal retail territory!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed something small but possibly useful last night where mightier makes rightier only looks for friendly gargant / mega gargant but doesn’t specify that the model must have the allegiance ability. 

I don’t know if I’m being stupid as I’ve not seen anyone do it but doesn’t that mean you can include a merc and he still counts for the increased models? 

if it does work then I would nearly always take one eye over a regular stomper in my usual taker or breaker builds. As the loss of 1 cp first turn isn’t that great for his added defensive bubble. 

If I’m completely missing something please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy!  I have a game vs Lumineth this Thursday and am trying to decide which list to use.  The guy is bringing Teclis, lord regent, 30 sentinel archers, 3x10 spear wardens.  Adepticon practice (big fancy tournament).

I have used my Taker Tribe a few times with mixed results (Kraken general/sandals/intimidating, Gatey w Amulet of Destiny, Kraken w Manticore Venom, another Kraken....2 Bosses of the Stomp).  Vs an army with 60 infantry, I'm kinda liking the 30 model count for objectives.

But there's alot to love about Gatebreakers, so what about Breaker Tribe-loathing to hit wizards better cuz aren't all those Lumineth units wizards? (Gatey general/5 extra wounds trait/amulet of destiny, Gatey w Portcullis, 1 Mancrusher, Kragnos).  Is this just stupid?  Kinda figured the 3D6" charge could come in handy, Kragnos might be able to shrug off all that Teclis can throw at him, or at least half :D  

I've never faced Lumineth at all, and guess it's a matter of surviving the first round and then not failing charges and not failing in melee.  Between the archers and Teclis I think they can easily drop a mega per turn.  What say ye?!?!  I really would love to spank these fancy pants aelves, as I always lost to Eldar back in the days of 40k.

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ahoy!  I have a game vs Lumineth this Thursday and am trying to decide which list to use.  The guy is bringing Teclis, lord regent, 30 sentinel archers, 3x10 spear wardens.  Adepticon practice (big fancy tournament).

I have used my Taker Tribe a few times with mixed results (Kraken general/sandals/intimidating, Gatey w Amulet of Destiny, Kraken w Manticore Venom, another Kraken....2 Bosses of the Stomp).  Vs an army with 60 infantry, I'm kinda liking the 30 model count for objectives.

But there's alot to love about Gatebreakers, so what about Breaker Tribe-loathing to hit wizards better cuz aren't all those Lumineth units wizards? (Gatey general/5 extra wounds trait/amulet of destiny, Gatey w Portcullis, 1 Mancrusher, Kragnos).  Is this just stupid?  Kinda figured the 3D6" charge could come in handy, Kragnos might be able to shrug off all that Teclis can throw at him, or at least half :D  

I've never faced Lumineth at all, and guess it's a matter of surviving the first round and then not failing charges and not failing in melee.  Between the archers and Teclis I think they can easily drop a mega per turn.  What say ye?!?!  I really would love to spank these fancy pants aelves, as I always lost to Eldar back in the days of 40k.

If you want to list tech vs lumineth then stomper tribe may well be best. Gives access to the bravery 10 bubble which is huge vs their two different spells that can prevent actions vs a bravery test (especially as they also will be most likely debuff bravery) plus mancrushers with extra damage are good vs their infantry. I would probably go 2 stomper breaker and 3 solo mancrushers. General with 3d6 charge and mantle then second stomper with cestus. 

If not that then breaker probably will be better than taker just for some extra burst damage. 

• Thanks 1

Ah, that's some good list theory!  Alas, I have only a single Mancrusher for now.  Really shoulda kept the 6 I made in the past 😛

I'll go Breaker for a change, give Kragnos a whirl again.  He disappointed me greatly at a 5game 3K event but maybe his magical shield will do something, or prevent doings.  Report coming in a couple days.....

• Like 1

Nagash was setting up a suprise birthday party for Katakros, just as Archaon's Sons of Chaosmat showed up to ruin the fun...... 1x30 Morteks and 1x10 Morteks, 5 Deathriders, a Liege Kavalos as General, and actually not sure anything else; subfaction was Petrifex Elite.

I used Breaker Tribe (shiny uns), 2 Gateys (amulet and portcullis), 1 Mancrusher and Mecha-Kragnos (an artifical Kragnos designed and constructed by the Chaos Dwarves).  Mission: First Blood. 

I went first and Ferocious Advanced up the center and my left objectives, scored 6 points.  He answered by charging the Death Riders into my Mancrusher on the left front and also got into Mecha-Kragnos with a couple, and he moved up the block of 30 Morteks towards the center but could not capture it, and the 10 Morteks moved to my right to not quite get the other objective.  OBR failed the battle tactic for Deathriders charging because Mancrusher and and Mecha-Kragnos killed them off, and Mancrusher survived with 1 wound left!

Turn 2 OBR got Priority, and zapped the Mancrusher dead with the fancy terrain for an easy Bring It Down, who went TIMBERRR and did MW to Mecha-Kragnos and the Gatebreaker, then Nagash did a bunch of spells and stuff including like 5 or 6? Arcane Bolts.  30 Morteks charged into the center to intercept the non-general Gatebreaker, Nagash was on the center objective but I think failed the charge roll so he couldn't attack my general.  10 Morteks had gotten the far right objective, so scored max points that turn as my Mancrusher was no longer on the left objective.

-Gargants answered with Conquer and general Gatey went to the right objective to easily swat away the 10 Morteks.  Mecha-Kragnos went around the middle block and charged into Nagash and did 24 mortal wounds!  Then he attacked and as soon as the first damage point went through Nagash teleported away like the chicken-bone that he is to the left objective and had perhaps 10 or so wounds remaining?  He can heal too.  Center block of Morteks were super tanky and didn't suffer too much from the Gatebreaker but were steadily being whittled down.   5 more points for the gargants.

Turn 3 Gargants got Priority (and OBR burned the center objective) and chose Wreckin Crew, so the general Gatey went for the fancy skeleton temple and whiffed on the Monstrous Rampage but luckily Gatebreakers can do that at the end of combat phase naturally and SMASH, rubble and 2 points.  Mecha-Kragnos meanwhile encircled around the center melee and rolled a 17" charge!  But because of the terrain in the way was like an inch shy of fitting into the pocket to reach Nagash and so did a few MW to the Liege Kavalos and the Mortek blob, then killed Kavaolos and more Morteks who were down to only like 10ish models maybe.   

-Nagash then loaded his clip of Arcane Bolts, and went into Mecha-Kragnos, who ignored only 1 Arcane Bolt  and ended up getting slain by the Death God, EPIC COMBAT.  More Morteks fell, Gatebreaker was more bracketed.

Turn 4-Nagash gets Priority, goes into slay the center Gatey, gets TIMBERRd and wounded and immediately teleports to the right objective, and still controls the left one thus scores max points along with some battle tactic (I think Monstrous Takeover?)  AMAZING turn of event.s  Game is super close here.  Morteks floating in the center and high tail it to the left objective.  

-General Gatey still at full health goes for Nagash and CRAM! beats down the skele-Pope for Bring It Down and 1 objective point.  Chucked a boulder and killed some Morteks but after they had added some models could not erase them all nor could he reach them.  Game over and the Sons win 20-17 IIRC.  One of the most exciting games I've played in a while!  Mecha-Kragnos earned back my respect with his new warscroll, the 3D6" charge and ward save and model count on objectives really make a nice value for the points.  Not sure the Sons really need him, but the extra charge distance is pretty darn good.

IMG_20220303_175001.jpg

IMG_20220303_175005.jpg

IMG_20220303_182018.jpg

IMG_20220303_184822.jpg

IMG_20220303_184849.jpg

IMG_20220303_191932.jpg

IMG_20220303_192959.jpg

IMG_20220303_194418.jpg

IMG_20220303_195123.jpg

IMG_20220303_200404.jpg

IMG_20220303_200812.jpg

• Like 1

How exactly do artefacts work for Sons, since the Tribes don’t really work in the same way as other sub factions

can a Warstomper take the Club Of The First Oak in Breaker or Taker tribe for example (assuming you’ve taken the Bosses Of The Stomp battalion to get an extra artefact)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Joseph Mackay said:

How exactly do artefacts work for Sons, since the Tribes don’t really work in the same way as other sub factions

can a Warstomper take the Club Of The First Oak in Breaker or Taker tribe for example (assuming you’ve taken the Bosses Of The Stomp battalion to get an extra artefact)?

No each tribe can only take their own tribes' relics or the generic rulebook ones.  

What should I bring to fight Teclis and bunches of sentinels and wardens tomorrow?  Breaker/3 Gateys and 2 Mannie's?  Breaker/Kragnos and 2 Gateys w 1 Manny?  Or Taker w Gatey and 3 Krakens?  All seems about even to me, but I've never fought Lumineth before with anything.  

Okay, got to use my Taker Tribe (Krakeney general/intimidating/sandals, Gatey w Amulet, KE w Manticor Venom, another KE) vs Lumineth (Teclis/30 Sentinel blob/2x10 spear Wardens/5 horsies/1 gazelle Regent) in Savage Gains.  He decided to take first turn as he had a battle regiment.  I had the 3 KEs in the center w Gatey on the left, he had a massive castle in the center.  He got 21 wounds on the Venom KE turn 1 and charged with horsies into my regular KE.  Then in my turn I got Broken Ranks with the Gatey vs spear-aelves and took that objective and only killed I think 2 horsies.  All my rocks missed (they have a thing for -1 to hit if they stay in Shining Company formation), and missed all game 😛  

I took turn 2 priority and got priority every subsequent turn.  I retreated the KE over the horsies to take the right objective away from him and plowed Gatey into the gazelle for Slay the Warlord and wrecked his precious waterfalls to rubble :D  Took care of the horsies and moved my general KE to the left.  He teleported stuff and shot stuff and killed a KE.

Then Gatey took care of more spears and stuff as other stuff moved around and scored tactics, etc.  Teclis eventually charged the general KE and he and the Gatey eventually died after the Sentinels teleported to my side.  My last giant, the regular KE charged Teclis turn 5 thinking maybe MAYBE he could kill him.  Did 11 wounds to him (he had healed every wound from previous rounds already), and then Teclis proceeded to retreat 24" back to his line objective preventing my 4 points there....I fell for his trick!  

End score was 34-32 with a Lumineth win.   And had it not been for the "Balancing" thing recently released for Priority Targets, my Sons would have won even without my last 4 objective points from the tricksy speed Teclis retreat!  Balance my ******   But a great game, great learning experience, total nailbiter the whole time.  Lumineth are jerks and deserve a points hike on Sentinels and Teclis.

IMG_20220317_183227.jpg

IMG_20220317_184623.jpg

IMG_20220317_190518.jpg

IMG_20220317_192832.jpg

IMG_20220317_194634.jpg

IMG_20220317_194642.jpg

IMG_20220317_200918.jpg

IMG_20220317_200932.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi peep!

A question about a list choice, about sons with KragBro.

It's better breakeer tribe, with 2 Gate, or Taker tribe, with Kraken with sandals and Gate?

I mean the first solution is more popular, but why not to take a more tactical Mega, with the same DPS (thanks to sandals)?

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 6:11 AM, Holy_Diver said:

Hi peep!

A question about a list choice, about sons with KragBro.

It's better breakeer tribe, with 2 Gate, or Taker tribe, with Kraken with sandals and Gate?

I mean the first solution is more popular, but why not to take a more tactical Mega, with the same DPS (thanks to sandals)?

I would stick with Breakers and a single Mancrusher.  They still get plenty of models on objectives, and remove extra enemies better than Krakens or Stompers thus regaining their objective superiority in most cases.  The objective kicking has only won me like 1 game out of the 15-20 games I've played the Sons.  If every Krakeny could do it every turn, that could be a different ball game though (wishing, hoping)

Been a bit quiet here on this thread.  I'm guessing it's because of all the extra VP enemies get for killing our best gargants.  I was wondering if they're really even playable at a tournament anymore.  Even if we dominate the objective game, perhaps only allowing the enemy to control 1 (as we are limited on models, can't be everywhere at once), over 5 turns that's an extra 5-10 points.  But if they're able to kill 2-3 over the game, that's quite a few VPs to balance it out.  If they prevent us from achieving the Grand Strategy, or prevent us from stopping their achievement, gets closer.  Hmmm.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, Reuben Parker said:

I noticed something small but possibly useful last night where mightier makes rightier only looks for friendly gargant / mega gargant but doesn’t specify that the model must have the allegiance ability. 

I don’t know if I’m being stupid as I’ve not seen anyone do it but doesn’t that mean you can include a merc and he still counts for the increased models? 

if it does work then I would nearly always take one eye over a regular stomper in my usual taker or breaker builds. As the loss of 1 cp first turn isn’t that great for his added defensive bubble. 

If I’m completely missing something please let me know!

I also hoped for this. However if you check under the merc mega gargant wording it says they can never receive the benefits of allegiance abilities. 

I still think possibly depending on list composition he could be included. For instance I sometimes like to play 3 mega 3 solo mancrushers in taker. In that instance he can help tank and a mancrusher behind can just hold the objective. Although most likely you would just prefer count as 20 or 30 instead of 5 and -1 to hit bubble. 

Edited by Reuben Parker

• 3 weeks later...