Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

First question for the community, with 3 Megas should I run the Mancrushas individually or in a big mob?  Definitely advantages to either and really struggling to make up my mind.

Agree that both have virtues.  From my experience above I would note that outside of the mirror matches I found a lot of utility in being able to move solo Mancrushers around the table independently.  Being able to leave just one on an objective to prevent my opponent from stealing it by moving something into range while being able to throw other two forward was nice.  As was being able to pin both sides of certain larger units.

• Like 1

Had my first two games with 3 Breaker list last night. Deliberately took sub-optimal artefacts to keep it fun.:

Breaker Tribe: Fierce Loathing (Bossy Pants)

Gatebreaker, Old and Gnarly + Kingslayer Cowl

Gatebreaker, Arcane Tomb

Gatebreaker

Mancrusher

Mancrusher

Emerald Lifeswarm.

Must say it was great fun.  Played twice against Thunderlizards (4 stegs, Engine of the gods, Basilidon, Carnisuar and some skin buff heros).

Tossing Gatebreaker rocks at garrisoned hero's was probably my favourite trick, +1 to hit and +1 damage makes them an absolute menace. 

Emerald Lifeswarm was ok, cast once each game and healed 5 each time. Situationally a bit better than Mystic Shield but wouldn't write home about it. Not sure if there is a better choice with the leftover points.

Won both games relatively comfortably (Making Territory and Tooth and Nail) and didn't really miss the third Mancrusher or Kracken Eater Kick.  The RAW power (and decent shooting) or 3 Gatebreakers is great, the only really problem with the army is that it's a bit dull with only 2 warscrolls.

• Like 2

I am strongly eyeing the Stomper tribe, taker to count as 30 instead of 20 has done almost no difference for me in my games so far.

Stomper due to the super useless 3d6 charge and the reroll save artifact, having a stomper with that and a breaker with amulet adds so much survivability. Major problem is the stomper cant command himself though.

Idea is to have Stomper, Breaker, Kraken and 3 single mancrushers. Many objectives require spreading out odd places, like the vice, so the little ones allow the big ones to focus on what matters. Stomper allows to issue a 6" auto run if needed on all 3 small ones, to go whereever needed. They also provide something affordable to sacrifice, while comfortably still handling screens and chaff. In stomper they will also hurt anyone bringing 10+ units a lot more, making them highly efficient at killing horrors and such.

• Like 2

If I still liked Mancrushers, and still had them because I liked them, I'd definitely run Stomper.  Taker Tribe does help in some cases but I agree it's not as necessary most of the time.  People still run big units of tiny guys and the Mancrusher damage vs those units (plus a good run n charge) can be the gamewinner right there.

But I'll run Taker Tribe with my 4 Chaos-Megas once I get Archaon mounted on the bi-pedal SoulGrinder who didn't miss leg day I'm working on.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:18 PM, dikakos said:

Hello guys. I was an obr player jumping now to Morathi'ssssh cart. I am thinking to buy big boyz too. 4 big boyz is good to start as takers tribe? Any army tips would be nice. Thanks in advance. 

Definitely invest in some magnetization.  The arms and hands are pretty easy to do.  The heads are less so but possible.  I like JBWeld PlasticWeld or just plumber's putty for magnetizing but greens stuff could work just as well (doesn't set up as fast and hard as plumber's putty though).  Welcome aboard!

On 10/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, Potatoejunky said:

I always see breaker tribe with the bossy pants loathing.

Can anyone tell me why it is always used?

Do we attack only heros with our gatebreakers and let the stompas clean up the mobs?

Is it because we want to roar at heroes/monsters and not titanic duel them?

I think because every army has heroes to target, and it makes the boulder throwing more accurate, which helps with sniping weak hero support from afar.  Then an all out attack for a mob, a titanic duel for a monster, that's always do-able.  Usually if we can deal with the heroes the rest are just padding for our stompy feet.

• Like 1

In a 2000 point game, where you run 4 mega-gargants, what would you prefer?

Taker: 2 Kraken, 1 Gate, 1 Warstomper

Taker: 1 Kraken, 1 Gate, 2 Warstomper

Breaker: 2 Gate, 2 Warstomper 

Also what command trait do you prefer for Taker? 1 extra artifact or the juicy -1 to hit?

Cheers!

On 10/31/2021 at 7:10 AM, Congratz said:

In a 2000 point game, where you run 4 mega-gargants, what would you prefer?

Taker: 2 Kraken, 1 Gate, 1 Warstomper

Taker: 1 Kraken, 1 Gate, 2 Warstomper

Breaker: 2 Gate, 2 Warstomper 

Also what command trait do you prefer for Taker? 1 extra artifact or the juicy -1 to hit?

Cheers!

THats a tough choice but my impulse would be Taker Tribe w 2 Kraken Eaters and -1 to hit trait.  Two bosses of the stomp battalions, sandals, amulet of destiny on the gatebreaker, and vial of manticore venom on the other kraken eater.  

As awesome as the power of a gatebreaker is x2, I have had many times recently where the objective control was in jeopardy without Taker Tribe.  And the sandals plus venom helps push the kraken Eaters’ damage up nicely.  Plus two objectives can be kicked and six tiny enemies could be stuffed into nets     Great for snagging goblin netters!  

Havent been too impressed with Warstompers.  

With 2 one-day tournaments and a 4-2 record with Sons so far, I'm finding the warstomper to be incredibly underwhelming. Just never seems to do a whole lot of anything for me. I know he's geared moreso for killing horde units but in the current state of things (at least locally) no one is running large mobs. Debating swapping him for a 3rd Kraken-Eater. Anyone able to chime in?

Also, how are you guys dealing with mirror matches. Played my first one today (Kraken x3, Gatebreaker) vs my Kraken-Eater x2, Gatebreaker, Warstomper and had absolutely no idea what to do, ultimately causing my only loss in today's Tournament.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, Keggers said:

With 2 one-day tournaments and a 4-2 record with Sons so far, I'm finding the warstomper to be incredibly underwhelming. Just never seems to do a whole lot of anything for me. I know he's geared moreso for killing horde units but in the current state of things (at least locally) no one is running large mobs. Debating swapping him for a 3rd Kraken-Eater. Anyone able to chime in?

Also, how are you guys dealing with mirror matches. Played my first one today (Kraken x3, Gatebreaker) vs my Kraken-Eater x2, Gatebreaker, Warstomper and had absolutely no idea what to do, ultimately causing my only loss in today's Tournament.

I, strangely, have not had any mirror matches yet.  But I've heard Taker Tribe helps with that, though I think if you could go first with a Breaker Tribe (bossy pants) and smash into the mirror, 2 on 1, you could probably kill off or strongly bracket the enemy's 2 megas.  

Are you using 2 Boss of the Stomp battalions?  That's probably a must-have for a 4 mega list.

So I've been lurking here for a few months learning about the Sons as I paint up my little gang. Well I've finished my Bosses of the Stomp (🦶), Doug and Dinsdale Piranha.

IMG_20211105_165551.jpg.78ec16b3717ebf029f3224a07c6b3bf4.jpg

I plan to have three Mancrushers and one more Mega to round out 2000pts.

PS: They're called The Pretzel Gang and spend their days extorting money, food, and ale from villages and towns in southern Ymetrica in Hysh.

PPS: Dinsdale is a Kraken-eater and Doug is a Warstomper but I used the same head since they're supposed to be twins.

Edited by Kamose
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 11/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I, strangely, have not had any mirror matches yet.  But I've heard Taker Tribe helps with that, though I think if you could go first with a Breaker Tribe (bossy pants) and smash into the mirror, 2 on 1, you could probably kill off or strongly bracket the enemy's 2 megas.  

Are you using 2 Boss of the Stomp battalions?  That's probably a must-have for a 4 mega list.

I am. My biggest lesson learned from the game was not to have my gatebreaker in the back (with Amulet of Destiny) considering he's the most tankiest of the 4 with the 5+ ward. My opponent was also running Taker Tribe so we evened out. I just found myself losing Gargants faster than he was and it cost me the game.

I'm still largely learning the army and I also lost the first charge. Again, I went into it having absolutely no idea what to do and learned some things for the future but was curious what everyone else typically does.

21 hours ago, Scythian said:

I’m 26-0 with my 3 Breaker, 2 babies list. I’m looking forward to new opponents and new battletomes to face in 2022. Please, GW, just drop Gatebreakers to 500 points and I’ll have my all mega list. 

Holy cow that's an amazing record!  Any armies you haven't faced?  Even with Breakers just seems like they would struggle to get through tons of Horrors (Lord knows I failed hard at that) or other resilient hordes.  

I sold off my Mancrushers, mainly cuz I didn't like the models.  But I may have enough bits left to make another 2 Chaos Dwarf mini-constructs (which would jive with my theme).  2 warscrolls to remember makes for easy brainfogged Warhammering :)

On 11/10/2021 at 12:29 AM, Keggers said:

I am. My biggest lesson learned from the game was not to have my gatebreaker in the back (with Amulet of Destiny) considering he's the most tankiest of the 4 with the 5+ ward. My opponent was also running Taker Tribe so we evened out. I just found myself losing Gargants faster than he was and it cost me the game.

I'm still largely learning the army and I also lost the first charge. Again, I went into it having absolutely no idea what to do and learned some things for the future but was curious what everyone else typically does.

I have better luck using my Ogors dice with the SoBs than my puny Beasts of Chaos dice.  Try some 20mm or larger dice next time!

Is this list legal at 1000 points? I don't know if I can take two universal artifacts or it I have to take one from the books.

Would three littles and a kraken eater be better at 1000 points doubles? My partners list is going to be very light also with Troggs.

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
 - Tribe: Breaker Tribe (Fierce Loathing: Bossy Pants and Clever Clog)
 - Mortal Realm: Ghyran
 - Grand Strategy: 
 - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Slim Samuel (525)
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant
- General
- Command Trait: Monstrously Tough 
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny 
Tiny Thomas (470)
Warstomper Mega-Gargant
- Artefact: Arcane Tome 
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
CORE BATTALIONS
*Bosses of the Stomp - Magnificent
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Artefact

Twogargantlist.pdf

Edited by GunslingerOy

On 11/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, GunslingerOy said:

Is this list legal at 1000 points? I don't know if I can take two universal artifacts or it I have to take one from the books.

Would three littles and a kraken eater be better at 1000 points doubles? My partners list is going to be very light also with Troggs.

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
 - Tribe: Breaker Tribe (Fierce Loathing: Bossy Pants and Clever Clog)
 - Mortal Realm: Ghyran
 - Grand Strategy: 
 - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Slim Samuel (525)
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant
- General
- Command Trait: Monstrously Tough 
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny 
Tiny Thomas (470)
Warstomper Mega-Gargant
- Artefact: Arcane Tome 
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
CORE BATTALIONS
*Bosses of the Stomp - Magnificent
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Artefact

Twogargantlist.pdf 5.73 MB · 3 downloads

Yes indeed!  Totally legal at 1000 points.  Just like walking around a protest with a loaded AR-15 in certain states.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 5:37 PM, Obeisance said:

Reason I want the Vial, is because I literally just played into a -1 to wound debuff and it was horrendous for my damage output. The Vial always seems good.. but a single unbind? Eh.

The Net seems really situational. Why not just roar and all out attack?

Gating Megas seems hilarious.

Also my buddy is doing amazing work. Can't wait to pick my dudes up!

received_4218593208208699.jpeg

received_282741153430273.jpeg

received_880947589494068.jpeg

Absolutely incredible paint job! Sons are just such a cool army

So since Mancrusher Mobs are now discounted. A new list is possible that can benefit from the full Battle Traits of the Breaker Tribe. What do you guys think?

Army Faction: Sons of Behemat
    - Army Type: Breaker Tribe(Shiny’Uns)
    - Grand Strategy: Beast Master
    - Triumps: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Gatebreaker (525)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Old and Gnarly
    - Artefacts: Enchanted Portcullis

Gatebreaker (525)*
    - Artefacts: Amulet of Destiny

BATTLELINE

Mancrusher Gargant Mob (475)**

Mancrusher Gargant Mob (475)**

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Bosses of the Stomp

**Footsloggas

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was thinking about that perfect points lineup now.  So symmetrical!  I think with the hit bonuses the Mobs are probably better than a pair of Warstompers.  With a Breaker Tribe we definitely want at least 2 Gatebreakers.  3 with 2 Mancrushers works but leaves points unused, except for an almost guaranteed Triumph.

I fought my 4 Megas using Taker Tribe yesterday vs Living City, just to try out my Cities for the first time.  Of course the Sons were victorious but I do see potential for even the shortest of units to do some real pain to the tallest.

It was Taker Tribe, Beastmaster, 2 Bosses battalions, Kraken Eater (Sandals, extremely intimidating), Gatebreaker (Amulet of Destiny), KE w Vial of Manticore Venom, and another KE.

Cities had Frostheart Phoenix (Ironoak Artisan, Spear of the Hunt), Lord-Arcanum on Gryph (Arcane Tome, Ironoak Skin spell), Runelord, Runelord, 3x10 Longbeards w great axe, 1x20 Irondrakes, allied Runesmiter and 10 Auric Hearthguards, 2 Fulminators.

Mission: Power Struggle.  Sort of a weird mission.  You have to control the objective 2 of your consecutive turns to start scoring.  Does that mean you can still move off of them?  Seems like yes but I guess people can pop up to steal them if one moves from them.  

Deployment.jpg

-Behemats go first, kick objective to center, get Ferocius Advance, and kill a Longbeard with a rock.  3 points for the Sons.

-Bottom of 1: Going for Slay the Gargant Warlord...Lord Arcanum casts Ironoak Skin and Mystic Shield on the Phoenix, who moves to go after either the KE general or center KE who has no artefacts.  Fulminators on the left move to shoot the center KE but then move again to go after the left rear KE (that was a mistake).  Irondrakes flank right whilst the Aurics pop up behind the general KE;  after all that only 12 wounds go on him.  Fulminators only get 6 wounds on their rear KE but lose a whole model in return, whilst the Phoenix adds 8 damage to the general KE and takes 3 wounds in return (the Phoenix is at +3 to saves negating 2 rend, and also at -2 to wound!  Very frustrating unit to kill).   0 points for the City.

bottom of turn 1.jpg

bottom of turn 1 closeup.jpg

-Top of 2: Cities goes first with Bring It Down....Phoenix heroicly recovers all lost wounds, gets juiced up by the Lord Arcanum again.  Irondrakes go rend-2 from the Runelord with them and take out the general KE just barely and timberrrr falls the other way.  Phoenix fails the charge to the center KE (which is bad news for the City folk).  Aurics actually are in range of the Gatebreaker and do 4 damage to him.  The last Fulminator goes down doing nothing in return.  5 points for the City.

-Bottom of 2: Broken Ranks for the Gargants......The Gatebreaker that got damaged by the Aurics had his movement halved, and thus failed to charge them, and also whiffed with his boulder 😛  The far left KE that had been fighting Fulminators kicked the objective forward then moved to go after some feeble Longbeards, they redeployed, which mattered not as he made that 8" charge because redeploy has been so far WORTHLESS.  The center barebones KE charged forth into the corner mob of Duardin, taking out the poor old Runelord and his Gyrobomber friend, and a few Longbeards.  Lord Arcanum is engaged and does a couple wounds to the KE in return, as do the remaining Longbeards.  5 points to the Sons for 10 total.

bottom of turn 2.jpg

bottom of turn 2 closeup.jpg

-Top of 3: Sons go first for Conquer.....Cities burns the objective on their own right side preventing the KE there from controlling it 2 consecutive of their turns (not that it made much difference at that point)....Gatebreaker moves up and kills 2 Aurics with the rock, kills 3 more with a perfect Trampling Charge, and then wipes them out with the flail, etc.  (me thinks Hearthguard Berzerkers might be a better unit to ally with the City folk for their ward save next to a Runesmiter).  KE in center kills some more Longbeards but kinda whiffs, takes a few wounds from the Lord Arcanum though.   5 more points to the Sons for 15 total now

-Bottom of 3:  Cities go for Broken Ranks....Phoenix gets its magic vitamins and flies over to intercept the Gatebreaker.  Lord Arcanum heals 3 wounds to himself with Heroic Recovery and 1 from Living City rules, then high-tails it out of there with Ride the Winds Aetheric to over behind the skull tower by 2 objectives (not far enough from the KE over there).  Irondrakes go Rend-2 and do 16 damage to the Gatebreaker.  But not to worry as the Phoenix charges in and doing 12 damage to it, which unfortunately leaves it with a few wounds to spare....FAIL.  0 points to the Cities for a total of 5.

bottom of turn 3.jpg

-Top of 4:  Gargants for Monstrous Takeover....KE goes into the Lord Arcanum and takes care of him, whilst the Phoenix kills off the Gatebreaker and suffers no Timberrrrrr.  5 more points to the Sons for 20 and game is called.

Great practice/learning match.  Sometimes we gotta test our tiny well-crafted metals vs the hard stuff to see who gets painted first.  So far the Fyreslayers are in front....once I get my new Bonesplitterz they get to fight the Sons, and we'll see if the greenskinz or redhairs go on deck.  In the mean time Archaon's Gatebreaker will be finished because Adepticon is just around the corner and 4 megagargants is just so easy to play with!

Sorry for the rotated pictures.  I saved them properly aligned but they're not staying that way when I post them.  

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • LOVE IT! 1