Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

46 minutes ago, The Wah said:

Our long shanks are getting even longer in the recent FAQ

Longshanks.JPG.b5102eb703a2fb8a5b4b03aecf754f51.JPG

Mega-gargants can now step over all other models and terrain. 

It's a good time to be big :)

Edit - And I think the Gate-Breaker 6+ invulnerable portcullis can be stacked with the Amulet of Destiny 5+ invulnerable save. That would be a sturdy cowled big-un.

I like that there is no longer any awkward terrain measuring going on, however it no longer works for charges as it did before, so it is a give and take kind of deal, although more clear at least.

And yea 2 artifacts is a no go ;) (Unless you are a kraken eater in taker tribe :P)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I like that there is no longer any awkward terrain measuring going on, however it no longer works for charges as it did before, so it is a give and take kind of deal, although more clear at least.

And yea 2 artifacts is a no go ;) (Unless you are a kraken eater in taker tribe :P)

I’ve always played moves in the move phase and charges as in the charge phase. I never even thought of charges as ‘moves’. More fool me! 

and oops! Mixing up my breakers and takers. :)

4 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

It is a great great artifact and with less hordes, taker tribes loses a bit of value. I am now thinking perhaps a stomper tribe with 1 of each mega and 3 single man crushers got some play. Cestus and 3d6 charge on stomper and amulet on breaker. For 1 CP you can auto run all 3 single mancrushers into good positions turn 1.the little guys can also assist in clearing any potential hordes much more easily. 

3d6 charge is good against the many khorne demon princes popping up lately and with Cestus and amulet there are 2 super tank gargants. 

On looking back at Stomper options, you can do a Caestus Stomper & Amulet Gatebreaker (Bosses) with a single triple MCG unit (no battalion) and three singles (Footsloggas) to really maximize the umph of the Stompa Big Shouts. "Getting stuck in" won't matter as often with big units less common now, though.

17 minutes ago, Oldhat said:

On looking back at Stomper options, you can do a Caestus Stomper & Amulet Gatebreaker (Bosses) with a single triple MCG unit (no battalion) and three singles (Footsloggas) to really maximize the umph of the Stompa Big Shouts. "Getting stuck in" won't matter as often with big units less common now, though.

Yea stomper is mostly for the artifact, and even then getting 3 single mancrushers out with an auto 6 run from the get go can be useful. The Stomper hurts for not having the ability to use any commands on himself though, a big negative, which is why he sort of needs another mega in the area, so that is why I was thinking a Kraken Eater to support the other 2, not really focusing much on the little guys, although even 1 of them CAN mess up a horde if you end up running into an opponent with skaven, massed zombies etc.

Mostly it is for the cestus though, it almost doubles the staying power of one of your megas, and the army is all about the staying power.

I've seen a few instances where the Taker Tribe has definitely given me the edge to score objectives.  But the Stomper route is making me curious now.  Gonna have to give that a whirl next time.  

A 4 mega army could go double Bosses for triple artefacts!  Breaker Tribe might be good for that one.  Amulet on a Gatebreaker, Vial of Manticore Venom on a Warstomper,  and either Portcullis or ? on either of the others?

I have a practice game challenge this coming Monday at 3K points vs my friend's Flesh Eater Courts.  From the looks of it I'll be facing the most MW an army can throw out as he's loaded with Terrorgheists and CryptFlayers, all of which scream vs bravery.  I have 3 Gatebreakers and a Kraken-Eater.

Should be a super hard cruel game!  I'm still on the fence about Breaker Tribe vs Taker Tribe here.  Breaker Tribe with 2 Bosses battalions (and I have Kragnos plus a Mancrusher) and I could take the Amulet of Destiny and the Portcullis for 2 ward saved Gatebreakers, and then vial of Manticore Venom on the 3rd one for extra smashing power.  That plus the +1 to hit vs something without trying.

But I do see value in the Taker Tribe, as then I'm pretty sure I can take all the objective points, and hopefully still accomplish the Battle Tactics nicely.  

I don't know if I can outdrop him.  Can't do Footsloggas really to get unified at all.  Kragnos might provide some distraction effect, and hopefully, be a deadly cruise missile too.

I'm leaning towards Taker Tribe.  I forsee many giant monsters and other SoB armies attending my upcoming 3K tournament, so I might need that points near-guarantee of objectives.  Even my friend's StD army was able to accomplish plenty of Battle Tactics, so if someone outdoes me there and somehow gets some objectives while making sure I don't, that would suck.  Plus -1 to hit on the Kraken-Eater plus the Sandals for him makes him more killy, and nearly as survivable a Gatebreaker with the Portcullis artifact.

What say ye!?

@Lord Krungharr 
I’m leaning Taker Tribe as well.  Hard to give up those +1 to Hit from Breaker but the extra Artefact and having at least the pretense of an unbind as well as Mystic Shield on top of the extra body count winning me over at moment.  Not going the all Megas route though as just can’t comfortably give up on the utility of those Mancrushers (though I do worry they’ll bleed some VP to my opponents…).

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
- Tribe: Taker Tribe
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Kraken-eater Mega-Gargant (490)*
- General
- Command Trait: Very Acquisitive - Krakenskin Sandals 
- Artefact: Glowy Lantern  
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Warstomper Mega-Gargant (470)*
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant (525)**
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)

Battleline
1 x Mancrusher Gargants (170)**

Core Battalions
*Bosses of the Stomp - Magnificent
**Footsloggas - Swift

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141
Drops: 6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

@Lord Krungharr 
I’m leaning Taker Tribe as well.  Hard to give up those +1 to Hit from Breaker but the extra Artefact and having at least the pretense of an unbind as well as Mystic Shield on top of the extra body count winning me over at moment.  Not going the all Megas route though as just can’t comfortably give up on the utility of those Mancrushers (though I do worry they’ll bleed some VP to my opponents…).

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
- Tribe: Taker Tribe
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Kraken-eater Mega-Gargant (490)*
- General
- Command Trait: Very Acquisitive - Krakenskin Sandals 
- Artefact: Glowy Lantern  
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Warstomper Mega-Gargant (470)*
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant (525)**
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)

Battleline

Core Battalions
*Bosses of the Stomp - Magnificent
**Footsloggas - Swift

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141
Drops: 6

I have a similar list for a 1day tournament tomorrow, with tome on stomper instead of sandals.

Interested in you going with swift on the footsloggas instead of unified.

3 hours ago, PlayerJ said:

Interested in you going with swift on the footsloggas instead of unified

I’m low conviction on this.  Having that free Charge reroll (I always seem to need them…) vs. trying to under drop with 3 drops is uncertain to me given too few games to figure out how many times 3 will win it for me.

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Clicked on link and list looks like one of each plus three Mancrushers (makes me feel a little better) but couldn’t see actual list.  Do we know specific kit out?

Kraken had sandals 

Gatebreaker had amulet

Stomper had tome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took the dive and purchased a bunch of big bois. Four megas.

Gonna paint them as frost giants. Light Blue skin and snow bases. Legitimately excited to start the project.

Question I have for you, is how customisable is the kit?

I want to make two Kraken Eaters. Preferably with different heads/etc?

Edit: I should rephrase. I'm building one of each and a second Kraken. There enough parts to make a second distinct Kraken?

Edited by Obeisance

4 hours ago, Obeisance said:

I want to make two Kraken Eaters. Preferably with different heads/etc?

Edit: I should rephrase. I'm building one of each and a second Kraken. There enough parts to make a second distinct Kraken?

So there is really one set loadout per Mega, but you could mix it up a little.  The Gatebreaker head (cowl) is a big part of who he is, so I don't think that would work on a Kraken.  

What I'd maybe do is:

- Kraken head, tentacle in right hand*, ship wrecka club in left hand, ship on back, plain feet

- Warstomper head, net in right hand, Johan in left hand, sandal feet

That way they'll look slightly different but both with a bit of nautical bling

It's a great kit with really clear instructions - you could easily model the "core" then dry fit to see which bits look right to you

*this will take some minor hobby saw work

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone, new to the community here and this is my first post. I did a comparison of the 4 Mega Gargant's damage output (and one additional with a Kraken-eater sporting sandals) on AoS Statshammer (https://aos-statshammer.herokuapp.com/about). And below are the results I got.

Now, I've not used this site before so I don't know if it's doing the math correctly and I have to make some concessions when it comes to figuring out attacks (I gave the Warstompa only 8 in this analysis) and did not include hurled body/stuff them in me net rules. But here is the damage output I came up with, and the raw data I used to calculate it.

Does this look right? I always thought that the Gatebreaker had the best damage output.

SoB 4.jpg

SoB 1.jpg

SoB 2.jpg

SoB 3.jpg

• Thanks 1

So I proxied the army up and played against a buddy last night. My army is currently being shipped to me.

I'm actually surprised how fun the army is to play. Just a bunch of big bois kicking objectives around and face tanking hits.

List was Taker Tribe, Gatebreaker with Amulet, Kraken with Lantern/Flaming Sword, Warstomper and a second Kraken. Double Magnificent, accidentally played a relic down. Oops.

I think I'm gonna either add the Arcane Tome for another dispel or change the army to three drops.

Kicked objectives, bullied the centre, opponent couldn't kick me off. He controlled the Gatebreaker with a spell that stops actions, which kinda sucked.

I managed to win convincingly, which was a surprise.

The only real issues I can see are high volume mortal wound shooting, annoying ****** move-blocking and Gotrek.

I honestly don't know what I can do about Gotrek except don't let him engage.

20210906_192543.jpg

14 hours ago, PlayerJ said:

You now what sucks for a mega? Failing a 3+ roar when you get charged by a ghoul king on terrorghiest.

Yeah, I did that once when I played my practice 3K point game yesterday vs FEC, Blisterskin w 2 Zombie Dragon kings, 3 Terrorgheist heroes, and I think 3x3 crypt flayers, plus 10 Ghouls.  He gave me first turn, I forget which mission but was on page 32 of the GHB2021, 3 objectives across the long center line of the table, rolling randomly for alpha objective each battle round.  

I followed vinnyt's lessons from previous pages:   

Turn 1: I moved up, running Kragnos/Mancrusher/Kraken Eater to my right objective, scoring Ferocious Advance and all objectives, killing his general with my wounded Gatebreaker before he died, cuz generals just need to die.  Then he came all in vs my left Gatebreaker w Manticore Venom, but only got 1 Terrorgheist  in w bad charge rolls, took out that guy and scored his tactic and that objective. 

Turn 2: I got Priority roll, (and continued that for the whole game) Then Savage Spearheaded, moved my Amulet Gatebreaker left with Finest Hour, killed a zombie dragon there and some more Crypt Flayers, also charged my center Gatebreaker into more Crypt Flayers.  Regained all objective points.  He tried and failed to kill my Amulet Gatebreaker, got my center one down to 24 wounds with Crypt Flayers, his too-far-teleported Terrorgheist moved up but still couldn't reach the left Gatebreaker (his mistake to put him so far back).  I think he just kept forgetting to summon stuff, but perhaps for lack of CPs?  He scored some tactic but no objective points.

Turn 3: This turn was a blur and a quick one, but I got Broken Ranks, left Gatebreaker died to his last charging Terrorgheist in the bottom turn, but not before hurling a boulder at the wounded Terrorgheist's face to kill that off at the top of the turn.

Turn 4: I got Priority again, and just wanted to see what Kragnos could do to the last Terrorgheist as he finally got in range to charge having moped across the whole table.......charged it and did 16 MW and SPLAT, game called.

Kraken Eater didn't have to do anything except kick his objective, but I had the sandals and -1 to hit on him.  Kragnos being so delicate to MW I held back planning to flank the enemy, but enemy decided to avoid him which gave my right flank and easy time of it.  As planned!  Just with Kragnos was faster, I mean he's got four legs!  

Love the Bosses of the Stomp, such a gift from the White Dwarf, thanks GW!

My grudge match first game of 5 next weekend is vs my friend's ultra resilient Nurgle army.  Boulders will try to snipe his support heroes/warshrine.  I'm hoping MW on the charge can deal with his GUO.  The sea of Plaguebearers will be super annoying, but maybe I can just walk over them with good positioning.  Then maybe, just maybe, I'll end up facing the guy with 10 Stegadons?!?!  Good times ahead :D

On 9/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, davespil said:

Hello everyone, new to the community here and this is my first post. I did a comparison of the 4 Mega Gargant's damage output (and one additional with a Kraken-eater sporting sandals) on AoS Statshammer (https://aos-statshammer.herokuapp.com/about). And below are the results I got.

Now, I've not used this site before so I don't know if it's doing the math correctly and I have to make some concessions when it comes to figuring out attacks (I gave the Warstompa only 8 in this analysis) and did not include hurled body/stuff them in me net rules. But here is the damage output I came up with, and the raw data I used to calculate it.

Does this look right? I always thought that the Gatebreaker had the best damage output.

SoB 4.jpg

SoB 1.jpg

SoB 2.jpg

SoB 3.jpg

I wouldn't expect the Sandals Kraken-eater to outdamage a Gatebreaker vs those good armor saves, rend -3 is pretty amazing, but hard to argue with computer math.  

On 9/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, Obeisance said:

So I proxied the army up and played against a buddy last night. My army is currently being shipped to me.

I'm actually surprised how fun the army is to play. Just a bunch of big bois kicking objectives around and face tanking hits.

List was Taker Tribe, Gatebreaker with Amulet, Kraken with Lantern/Flaming Sword, Warstomper and a second Kraken. Double Magnificent, accidentally played a relic down. Oops.

I think I'm gonna either add the Arcane Tome for another dispel or change the army to three drops.

Kicked objectives, bullied the centre, opponent couldn't kick me off. He controlled the Gatebreaker with a spell that stops actions, which kinda sucked.

I managed to win convincingly, which was a surprise.

The only real issues I can see are high volume mortal wound shooting, annoying ****** move-blocking and Gotrek.

I honestly don't know what I can do about Gotrek except don't let him engage.

20210906_192543.jpg

Magnificent proxies 🤣

• Like 1