Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

22 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Sons are all in all so much stronger this edition, so many buffs and abilities they got access to now

Also another stealth buff is the grand strategy where you have to have a battleline alive at end of game. As all units are now battleline just don’t get tabled. 

Some of the single turn missions also look super easy for SoB and can get bonus for monsters but the opponents can get bonus point for each battle round a monster dies. So a bit of give and take but overall mission pack I think is better for SoB. 

NVM the page is too blurry and i didn't see that the megamob gargant was a thing so a single gargant is cheaper and we still get the 3 but it cost a bit more

But Overall Sons are looking good, 4 megaGargant list hype

Edited by novakai

So… still playing in a 2.0 world over in Zoom League until we have our good bye to 2.0 Battle of the Barn friendly in July.  But had a blast even in a loss with my first battle with the Sons.

Was playing a training wheels (since I had zero prep time having focused on getting the models built) Breaker Tribe w/the 5 extra wounds, Shiny Uns and the 6+ FNP in the Gatebreaker paired with a Kraken-Eater and 3/1/1/1 Mancrushers.  Played against a PBK centric Nurgle list in Shifting Objectives.  Was within 1 pt at end of R1 and tied end of R2 but R3 things started to crumble.

Ultimately came down to Gutrot Spume taking away the Kraken-Eater’s Club 4/4 Combat Phases and the potentially “swingy” damage rolls swinging right into my face (d6 Damage, sure I’ll “happily” take a one… again… oh this is the 3rd in a row? I must have forgotten…).  When Kraken-Eater went down and he still had two units of PBKs to score bonus VP on objectives my narrow path to victory was closed off.  (Sidebar, mattered far less since I was usually surrounded but went 1/6 for Timber with Mancrusher roll offs.  Just that kid of night.)

Fortunately I understand cold rolls just happen and it was easy to see how just a little mean regression here or an opponent with a few less FNPs and the game starts tilting very favorably in my direction.  (Nonetheless how much better this looks in 3.0 with Hero and Monster actions…)  And, of course, also plenty of room for improvement in my play with the faction and gains from list tweaking.

8A84299C-AEAA-41DD-9F3F-4ABC0402EC73.jpeg.579a1102ce68658a226c7aa15c681d06.jpeg

At the starting line raring to go…

D50EE9AF-5529-418F-A815-0CFBCD035E5A.jpeg.fc06a102106201e5b6401813b2d211ce.jpeg

slime fleet arrives… Stompa Jr. feeling pretty lonely out there

2B06F1E4-03C2-49B6-822A-2EC0442E1AED.jpeg.18629d5e7ba3daf9f64b79ec00525647.jpeg

Stompa Jr. we hardly knew ye 

E7744FB2-D334-438E-A0BF-90545988B4B4.jpeg.e7c6511e82cf5f8ee51385ad703c553d.jpeg

Kraken Snacker Will try and avenge you

0B4A5E97-9FBB-4D9F-A340-6750626CE959.jpeg.5e365f8d3fbfcaf97d8e56eb6509d560.jpeg

Big Three make a good charge but pay the price and will ultimately lose the West

9BA32F57-59D3-4D55-A403-65B691C1A157.jpeg.c30fd61e4b100fdf376e056b61a0942d.jpeg

With primary objective in West PBKs wall off and look to tarp it my Gatebreaker in middle

0B905392-DF65-41A0-A5FB-2CB35DB84463.jpeg.c529fc0aec1aec33c3ae59b911df682c.jpeg

Gutrot keeps one hand tied behind Kraken-eaters back while remnants of slime fleet plink away the wounds.  When he fell it was game over.

With almost all the Nurgle models, except the summoned Plaguebearers, 4W+ there was also no bag stuffing opportunities to be found.  So again, find plenty of upside to this faction/list in 2.0 and even more in 3.0 so for now very happy with the Sons.

Time to get painting.

So been considering the new points cost and after initial annoyance at the 525 Gatebreakers have come to accept that we've gone up massively in power level and more restrictive list building is the price we pay (not having to take Mancrushers is an interesting twist though).  Annoying that Two Gatebreakers and a Krakeneater isn't a realistic option anymore (loses an entire Maneater), as I feel it was our best build.

Might thoughts on possible good builds:

In your face, smashy list.  Feels like the best for raw power but lacks tactical options:

2 Gatebreakers + 2 Warstompers: Gatebreaker general (Louder than words, Idiots with Flags, Amulet of Destiny)

More flexible list

On of each mega, three units of one Mancrusher.  Gatebreaker general (Louder than words, Idiots with Flags, Amulet of Destiny)

Could clump the Mancrushers together for better shooting and command efficiency but I don't think it's worth the lost of flexibility going from 6 to only 4 units.

Could also opt for Krakeneater general, but only time will tell how valuable that bonus to capturing objectives will be in 3.0.  Generally less models on the board, but lots more of them count as multiple.  

What's everyone else thinking?

4 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

So been considering the new points cost and after initial annoyance at the 525 Gatebreakers have come to accept that we've gone up massively in power level and more restrictive list building is the price we pay (not having to take Mancrushers is an interesting twist though).  Annoying that Two Gatebreakers and a Krakeneater isn't a realistic option anymore (loses an entire Maneater), as I feel it was our best build.

Might thoughts on possible good builds:

In your face, smashy list.  Feels like the best for raw power but lacks tactical options:

2 Gatebreakers + 2 Warstompers: Gatebreaker general (Louder than words, Idiots with Flags, Amulet of Destiny)

More flexible list

On of each mega, three units of one Mancrusher.  Gatebreaker general (Louder than words, Idiots with Flags, Amulet of Destiny)

Could clump the Mancrushers together for better shooting and command efficiency but I don't think it's worth the lost of flexibility going from 6 to only 4 units.

Could also opt for Krakeneater general, but only time will tell how valuable that bonus to capturing objectives will be in 3.0.  Generally less models on the board, but lots more of them count as multiple.  

What's everyone else thinking?

Strangely I feel we’ve got way more list flexibility now they made mega gargants battleline. I’m liking the idea of taker tribe 3 kraken eaters and 1 gatebreaker or breaker tribe 2 breakers 2 stompers.

25 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

Strangely I feel we’ve got way more list flexibility now they made mega gargants battleline. I’m liking the idea of taker tribe 3 kraken eaters and 1 gatebreaker or breaker tribe 2 breakers 2 stompers.

Yeah, I'm probably over-reacting as I LOVE gatebreakers, so the fact that there is only one efficient way to take more than one (2 Breakers, 2 Stompers) is a bit frustrating.  3 Breakers and 2 Mancrushers (or 2 Breakers, 5 Crushers) is possible but feels like your hamstringing yourself with a massively under point army.

2 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Yeah, I'm probably over-reacting as I LOVE gatebreakers, so the fact that there is only one efficient way to take more than one (2 Breakers, 2 Stompers) is a bit frustrating.  3 Breakers and 2 Mancrushers (or 2 Breakers, 5 Crushers) is possible but feels like your hamstringing yourself with a massively under point army.

I still think triple breaker, 2 mancrushers will be tasty. All these extra buffs monsters and heroes get plus a lot of the extra scoring seems to revolve around being a monster so they’ll still do well.

Edited by GutrotSpume

Been playing stomper tribe mostly, but with the new reinforcement rules and awesome new command abilities, it feels this options goes down in power a bit, also the cestus reroll save artifact, while still good, can effectively be replaced by the amulet of destiny for a 5+ ward.

Looking at endless spells that seems to be something that can really mess up gargants, so this makes me think of a Taker Tribe with the +1 artifact trait, so you can have a Kraken Eater with Glowy Lantern and then possibly a Gatebreaker or Stomper with the 5+ ward taking point. 

Getting to actually cast a spell can be a pickle, but if it works out, mystic shield or flaming weapons can be right dangerous on a mega, however we know how that works out against any opponent with + to cast or unbind, however here I think it is very important have as many chances to unbind endless spells as possible. Soulsnare shackles can shut down charges in a 15" bubble somewhere and many other spells can get to do a lot of damage and muck up the board. With a glowy lantern you get the ability to unbind and dispell respectively and then the heroic action in a pinch, however with 3 megas you will most likely want to rotate finest hour quite a bit at critical moments, so having that extra unbind or dispel can be all important I think.

Yeah initially I’m leaning to taker tribe. Triple breaker used to be my fav but points changes and also now easy access to +1 to hit takes it down a peg. 

Im thinking one of each mega. Kraken with sandals and ward. Triple solo. Play aggressively with the three mega (all 3 have good damage output now). Play objectives tag with the mancrushers. Avoid big straight up combats if possible and try to win on points. 

my dream is that a day one faq says SoB can ignore the normal restrictions for sub commander role in battalions. If that was the case I would run stomper with 3 mega for re roll saves and ward artifacts in the same build and have a super tanky stomp. However I realize it’s just a pipe dream. 

I do also want to see how a stomper tribe running mass mancrushers works in new edition. Warstomper +5 wounds and mantle 3 and 6 solo would probably be my first stab. Mantle actually helps sustainability by making heroic healing more efficient, also now don’t need to to run +d3 command trait. The blob of 3 would be for a hammer unit and also allows a triumph bid. I do feel losing out on the CA probably makes it not worthwhile but worth a shot. 

As my last kitbash project was meant to be converting a Bonegrinder into a second Gatebreaker the higher points there hit me double hard (as it also came with removal of the admittedly bad option of just run as a Bonegrinder) yesterday.  That said after my first (2.0) trial run I’m glass half full this morning in getting to run my Stomper more than I’d originally expected to.

I’ll definitely try the four Mega build but my first impression is that it remains a bit of a trap, especially if it precludes any battalion as unlocking Linebreaker feels like it will be valuable.  That I could still do that and run double Gatebreakers feels like a consolation to the above too.

29 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

I’ll definitely try the four Mega build but my first impression is that it remains a bit of a trap, especially if it precludes any battalion as unlocking Linebreaker feels like it will be valuable.

You can't use Linebreaker as Mancrushers aren't behemoths.

The only core battalion available is the battle regiment since you only have access to Commanders and Troops.

EDIT: The GBH battalion for Troops only is also an option.

Edited by Malakree

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

You can't use Linebreaker as Mancrushers aren't behemoths.

Good catch.  Thanks.  Have a bad habit of associating wound level with Behemoth status but was never a great system.

Still think taking a battalion and unlocking some enhancements positive and the Troop one in GHB could be an appealing one.

18 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Good catch.  Thanks.  Have a bad habit of associating wound level with Behemoth status but was never a great system.

Still think taking a battalion and unlocking some enhancements positive and the Troop one in GHB could be an appealing one.

Enhancements are only unlocked with two of the battalions you can't access. You're limited to the one drop battalion only, each Mega can include Mancrushers in their drops, or the GBH battalion which is Mancrushers only.

SoB got buggered hard by the core battalions.

EDIT: Note

Also really worth pointing out just how good the new universal artefacts/spell lore is for Gargants. Arcane tome means you can make any mega a wizard without being taker tribe, Flaming Weapon is +1 damage to one of the wizards weapons, while Levitate lets you have flying gargants. The idea of a unit of 3 flying Mancrushers is pretty funny tbh.

Edited by Malakree

31 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Enhancements are only unlocked with two of the battalions you can't access. You're limited to the one drop battalion only, each Mega can include Mancrushers in their drops, or the GBH battalion which is Mancrushers only.

SoB got buggered hard by the core battalions.

EDIT: Note

Also really worth pointing out just how good the new universal artefacts/spell lore is for Gargants. Arcane tome means you can make any mega a wizard without being taker tribe, Flaming Weapon is +1 damage to one of the wizards weapons, while Levitate lets you have flying gargants. The idea of a unit of 3 flying Mancrushers is pretty funny tbh.

Dang it.  Hadn’t realized that it was ONLY Magnificent that granted extra enhancements.  Think you’re absolutely right that the universals are great for us and had been excited to think of ways to get two Megas with Artefacts given that.  Oh well.  Still looking forward to eventual flip to 3.0 with this army.

EDIT: now that we have two ways to be a Wizard really hoping for a Priest of Behemat new model in new edition. 

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

18 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Think you’re absolutely right that the universals are great for us and had been excited to think of ways to get two Megas with Artefacts given that.

Taker tribe with the take 2 artefacts trait. Take the tribe artefact on the general and the time on tour 2nd garg. 2 wizard SoB!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Taker tribe with the take 2 artefacts trait. Take the tribe artefact on the general and the time on tour 2nd garg. 2 wizard SoB!

It’s a fun meme idea but I can’t see anything that equals 5+ ward on a mega apart from possibly re roll saves or mantle in a stomper build. Obviously 5+ shrug is insane on a 35 wound model but just overall I think it’s a terrible decision by GW. It’s just flat better than most book items for most armies and will be everywhere similar to some of the old malign sorcery items. 

• Sad 1