Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

looking at some of the new generic rules that came out i thought of something neat.

make one of your Megagargant a wizard  using the new artifact or the krakeneater one and cast the new flaming weapon spell to give one of your weapon +1 damage (Fortkrusha flail is now 4 damage each, and krakeneater club is now on 3 damage)

wizards can now cast a spell that make ally Megagargants able to fly (it is an 8+ which kind of hard)

generic artifacts that can be useful

Amulet of Destiny: 5+ Ward save on the bearer

Vile of Manticore Venom: increasing a weapon’s to wound by +1

Edited by novakai
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah the 5+ shrug seems amazing on megas and would instantly be better than most items if not all currently in the book. Another small thing I noticed that helps SoB is you gain control of objectives after deployment. So Kraken Eater can kick turn 1 even going first. This could be very useful as essentially every army can choose to out drop SoB now bar SoB going for a 1 mega 9 giant build which probably isn’t great. 

In a taker tribe I might just go for sandals and shrug now. Becoming a wizard can be useful but a lot of opponents have bonuses to unbind so a single spell cast often is wasted. Plus now can always use a hero action for dispel.

Another interesting thought is using rally on units of 3 mancrushers when they lose 2 guys. Can be done both player turns yes it’s fishing for 6s but getting a whole mancrusher back probably makes it worthwhile on average (average around 50 odd points back). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah the 5+ shrug seems amazing on megas and would instantly be better than most items if not all currently in the book. Another small thing I noticed that helps SoB is you gain control of objectives after deployment. So Kraken Eater can kick turn 1 even going first. This could be very useful as essentially every army can choose to out drop SoB now bar SoB going for a 1 mega 9 giant build which probably isn’t great. 

In a taker tribe I might just go for sandals and shrug now. Becoming a wizard can be useful but a lot of opponents have bonuses to unbind so a single spell cast often is wasted. Plus now can always use a hero action for dispel.

Another interesting thought is using rally on units of 3 mancrushers when they lose 2 guys. Can be done both player turns yes it’s fishing for 6s but getting a whole mancrusher back probably makes it worthwhile on average (average around 50 odd points back). 

We can 2 drop with 6 mancrushers and 2 megas as long as we run one of the units of mancrushers solo, which is the lowest most armies will be able to reasonably run and will probably be a common number. A few armies will still be able to one drop though.

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

We can 2 drop with 6 mancrushers and 2 megas as long as we run one of the units of mancrushers solo, which is the lowest most armies will be able to reasonably run and will probably be a common number. A few armies will still be able to one drop though.

Very true! I might be too caught up on just wanting to run 3 megas. I love all the buffs the big boys have now. A 2 - 6 build may end up being very strong. 

4 minutes ago, StoneMason said:

Am I understanding correctly that we only have access to 2 of the 6 batallions? Probably the weaker of the also...

No we only have access to Battle Regiment (the one drop one).

Mancrushers lose behemoth role in sons of behemat since they're battleline, so they're troops. This means we have no access to Monsters, Sub-commanders, or artillery and the only battalion that gives us access to is battle regiment.

This one takes a little less direct inspiration from the Warstomper but still feel it fits the theme.  Specifically was leaning into the “Oi, You! Yes, You! Charge!” Big Shout with the left arm fully plated for crashing into enemy lines.
E107788C-72EA-4390-BB0F-ED22F099A33B.jpeg.ba3c307927ecf002cbc477914ca3c329.jpeg

Thought this custom Club using a custom knuckle bow, guard & shield “ricasso” for what still is in the end just a bug club with pointy stuff strapped onto it also fit with the theme that this was a Gargant that wanted to Get Stuck In but might have slight pretensions towards being a Shiny Un…

9FAA5183-A90D-4F96-BB84-9581F578AEF9.jpeg.e8d4c99c93d70699efa9478fafaae392.jpeg

Final thought was all the extra “armor” he’s carrying about is making him stronger so if he survives he just might be on a path to mega status… but that’s a big IF.

With all my juniors done need to decide what to do with the other three.

• LOVE IT! 2

4 minutes ago, PlayerJ said:

Keep in mind anything/everything could change with the coming of GHB2021

Yeah I still half feel the GHB may limit duplication of battalions as it feels like this edition they’re trying to reduce duplication overall. Plus it would open up a lot more styles rather than race to reduce drops. 

11 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah I still half feel the GHB may limit duplication of battalions as it feels like this edition they’re trying to reduce duplication overall. Plus it would open up a lot more styles rather than race to reduce drops. 

I feel the warlord Battalion is the one I'll be taking more often (with other factions), extra enhancement and command point 

Edited by PlayerJ

There's some neat stuff in the 3.0 rules for Sons of behemat (full 3.0 rules on on Warhammer community today)
The artifacts are great. One is a 5+ ward, which is just great for the durability of our megas, and another one is just like the lantern, which turns a hero into a wizard, or gives a wizard an extra spell if they already are one. This should stack with the lantern to let us get a 2 cast krakeneater, or 1 cast on any other mega. There's another one that lets you reroll 1 casting, dispelling, or unbinding roll per hero phase, so you could get rerolls to cast on a kraken eater general if you take 2 artifacts.
There's also a generic spell that can be taken called flaming weapon that casts on a 4 and increases the damage characteristic of one of the bearer's melee weapons by 1.

• Thanks 1

All the core rules are available

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

Ok, has anyone heard anything about no more than 50% of your total points can be leader/monsters? I’m not trying to start a rumor, it was just something I was told and I was fuming mad. Has anyone else heard this nonsense?

I've been thinking about this army since SoB came out, but now finally got my finger out and started converting it.  I bring you the first stages of the Sons of Gorkamorka.  The concept is simple, the more Orruks fight the bigger they get and boy do they love to fight.  Do eventually some Orruks are going to get to gigantic proportions.  Only got 1 mega and 3 mancrushas WIP at the moment as I'm waiting for the GHB to drop before investing in more models (points changes could have a massive influence on what a 2k SoB army looks like).  Planning on taking my time with these, lots of green stuff and Bonesplitta bitz to make they look more Orruky.  Only things I'm struggling with at the moment is what to use as weapons for the Megas (want them to be crude with mininal metal to sell the Giant Bonesplittas vibe) and how to base them.  Thoughts always welcome. 

PXL_20210614_205124375.jpg

PXL_20210614_205318846.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scythian said:

Ok, has anyone heard anything about no more than 50% of your total points can be leader/monsters? I’m not trying to start a rumor, it was just something I was told and I was fuming mad. Has anyone else heard this nonsense?

You can’t spend more than 50% of your points on a SINGLE unit.

18 hours ago, PlayerJ said:

I feel the warlord Battalion is the one I'll be taking more often (with other factions), extra enhancement and command point 

Yea I feel the same, deciding first turn is nice and all, but if the opponent goes for this as well, you could just lose the roll and have nothing to show for it. Instead ignoring that entirely you could go for enhancements and free commands, while also retaining the benefit of counter deployment as the one drop battalion has to all be put on the table at once. I feel potentially an artifact, 2 free commands and complete counter deployment is a fair trade of not choosing the first turn.

Obviously SoB got a problem with all these battalions, with the only option of going for 1 drop + 1 mega for example (so 2 drops) or skip that and get the linebreaker for that 1 free command. If running 2 megas and 2x3 small gargants that is still just 4 drops. I think many armies will either go for the 1 drop or maximise everything else, so being 2 drop or 4 drop seems to make little difference and might as well grab that free command.

Stomper tribe is a bit in an odd spot. That is my favourite tribe and have done well at a couple of tournaments with it. Having more command points in general will of course benefit Stompers and is now also the only way to get 2 units of gargants auto run 6 for example or reroll charges. I prefer going with a gatebreaker as well, so that guy will be important for all the generic commands such as all out attack and defence. Finest hour + all out of defence will be nasty on a warstomper with rerolling saves from the cestus, although the generic 5+ ward is also looking hot for all mega gargants and will never be a bad choice.

With all the new coherency rules, better commands but more focus on efficient use of them, it seems to me the Sons are in a good spot. Modifiers to hit being capped at -1 and +1 is only good, as anyone fighting lumineth or Tzeentch etc with army wide easy access to several sources of -hit in 2nd edition, can attest to. The monster rampage is of course good and the heroic actions will also be very efficient and scary on mega gargants, Mega gargants having their finest hour is pretty much the worst hour for everyone else. A gatebreaker using finest hour and all out attack to get a 3+/2+ profile and 3+ save is just so efficient for gargants. 

I guess that is the major point here, all the new stuff is just really efficient on gargants, every CP spent and every buff or ability will be a big deal, literally ;)

• Like 1

Yeah agreed it’s a good time for SoB. I’m not really fussed that we don’t get much from the battalions as we don’t already. 

another potential fun moment would be stomper mancrushers hitting on 2+ rr1 and wounding on 2+ if you have the triumph vs hordes with +2 damage. Kind of overkill but it’s fun to calculate how much damage they can do. 

Test driving Sons tonight.

043C4C7D-3418-40B6-AD0E-22A18A7E53AF.jpeg.57112f2aa5a8ac18fc377addb76e86c2.jpeg9AB0AF8A-94FA-42E0-9843-886D06C97D6B.jpeg.838f23fb73b0acd54dc37ba0919d8ed6.jpeg

Not done putting arrows in to this fella but he’s ready to rumble.  

For the group of three went less themed but still tried to tie into the overall army.  Little Brother below is just convinced he’s gonna swing that mega club even though he can only drag it along with him…

F80C8BC0-FFAD-4868-AE71-04A4A06BCEF5.jpeg.a44a7e1dedb5719fac9a80e673a710b5.jpegAFF42C41-4E1B-4D4B-A1AF-365FD3C5FF41.jpeg.2d2e9cf9b296ff6a7e4e1d66725ee9b7.jpeg

This guy below went through several different hand options, none of which I was happy with, before I settled on this kind of basic approach.

3F1E0DAC-BE47-4F95-BB0D-2E6A11D7FE0A.jpeg.92fc65de07fe42ce9cd7367cd7cf371c.jpeg

79CF3F56-4509-4C05-8EAB-37D88A91BDBC.jpeg.43698ad1fe7ac566e107c1ba2e6652dd.jpeg

Think they’ll make for a nice unit if 3x…

• Like 3