Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

20 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Can i use Mancrushers as troops in list building? 

Otherwise it seems that we are locked i to only the linebreaker and pack Hunter battalions. Or am I missing something? 

Mancrushers can be troops yes, but we can't do linebreaker, as it requires non-leader behemoths, of which we have none.

We can do Battle Regiment amd Hunters of The Heartland, thats all.

Edited by Celadoor

2 minutes ago, Celadoor said:

Mancrushers can be troops yes, but we can't do linebreaker, as it requires non-leader behemoths, of which we have none.

I see. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

If the Mancrushers don't count as Behemoths, we could do Vanguard too I think?  One leader (Mega) and 1 or 2 Troops.  If so we could run and charge the Mancrushers without a CP!  Thus making Taker Tribe have a bumrush of Mancrushers like Stomper Tribe does.

You have to take a leader with less than 10 wounds for Vanguard. Its pretty clear…

On 6/28/2021 at 10:45 AM, Dejnar said:

Battle Regiment requires two different units of Mancrushers if I understand it correctly? 

That messes with list tbh. 

Maaan, creating a Sons list is way harder than I thought. 😅

I mean how big of a difference really is 3 drop vs 4 drop going to be for us?  2 megas or less we have 2 drops, 3+ megas we have 3-4 drops.  Given how juicy warlord is going to be for most armies, I think we are rarely going to lose priority with 4 drops so I really don't think the extra drop alone is worth taking what you perceive to be a less optimal list otherwise.

I do agree I'm finding list building more difficult though overall.  I'm used to having like 2 or 3 list choices that make any sense with SoB.  All of a sudden we have like 6 enticing options!  We are just spoiled for choice now haha!

Edited by tripchimeras

56 minutes ago, Riavan said:

So are we moving to having less mancrushers in 3.0?

If I'm not stupid, and I may be, the battalions we can use (Regiment and Hunters) we need atleast two units of crushers. 

I'm not sure how I rate crushers yet in this edition. Would like them to have their own commander so they can roam free. 

I'm personally pretty down on Mancrushers because they auto-die to anything that goes near them, which:

A) Bleeds out VPs

B) Runs counter to your main win condition of "exist for a while"

I might try 3 Megas and a block of 3 Mancrushers (their damage output is legit), but I'm currently more excited about 4 Megas personally.

1 hour ago, Superking said:

Ranking from 1-3 with 1 being the hardest, what is the most difficult mega to paint and what is the least? Why?

Well it is almost the same model, but if I had to rank them, I'd say Warstomper being the easiest and Gatebreaker, with the Kraken eater having the most details, such as the front of a ship on his back with a corpse danlging from it., tentacles hanging from the belt and so on.

10 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'm personally pretty down on Mancrushers because they auto-die to anything that goes near them, which:

A) Bleeds out VPs

B) Runs counter to your main win condition of "exist for a while"

I might try 3 Megas and a block of 3 Mancrushers (their damage output is legit), but I'm currently more excited about 4 Megas personally.

I am pretty down whit mancrushers to be honest. It;s the best bang for your buck and  they give more board control since they can split up.  And since units now are smaller they tend to live longer. Not to mention that two lose mancrushers can charge the 2 edges of a larger infantry unit and lock most of them out of combat. A tactic that got even stronger whit the new coherency rules.  Using that trick man crushers are more survivable then one might expect.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

I am pretty down whit mancrushers to be honest. It;s the best bang for your buck and  they give more board control since they can split up.  And since units now are smaller they tend to live longer. Not to mention that two lose mancrushers can charge the 2 edges of a larger infantry unit and lock most of them out of combat. A tactic that got even stronger whit the new coherency rules.  Using that trick man crushers are more survivable then one might expect.  

All good points.  They also score you the Battle Tactic for running 3 monsters near to each other (without committing your whole army to one spot on the board), unless one of them gets shot off turn 1.

I've considered 3 Gatebreakers and 2 Solo Mancrushers, which would be a 3-drop list coming in at 1915 for the world's most extravagant triumph bid.  I like the idea mainly for a Gatebreaker General stacked up with the survivability CT and Artefact, but you could also make him a wizard and take an Endless Spell if you wanted.

I do think I still prefer 2 Gatebreakers, 2 Warstompers, but it's the time to experiment for sure.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Celadoor said:

Can Allied units not count for Core Battalions?

Kragnos' new faq states that he benefits from allegiance abilities regardless of his keyword.  At first I thought this might almost make him worth it for us, since he'd count as 20 models.  But then reading closer I think he still benefits 0 from it, since all of them, including mightier makes rightier specify the model.  Is that everyone elses reading as well?  Got so excited their for a second haha.  Think it helps him a lot at least in some of the other destro books, especially warclans.

only thing i notice from the FAQ was a small buff to Gatebreaker

Page 78 – Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant, Smash Down Delete the ‘Smash Down’ column of this unit’s damage table, and change the rule to: ‘Add 1 to the damage inflicted by each successful attack made by this unit that targets a unit that is part of a garrison or is wholly on or within a terrain feature. In addition, add 1 to the roll when you carry out a Smash To Rubble monstrous rampage with this unit.’

4 hours ago, tripchimeras said:

Kragnos' new faq states that he benefits from allegiance abilities regardless of his keyword.  At first I thought this might almost make him worth it for us, since he'd count as 20 models.  But then reading closer I think he still benefits 0 from it, since all of them, including mightier makes rightier specify the model.  Is that everyone elses reading as well?  Got so excited their for a second haha.  Think it helps him a lot at least in some of the other destro books, especially warclans.

Hmmm, I saw an article I think on PlasticCraic maybe?  about how Kragnos might benefit from some Destruction armies; in Bloodgullet Ogors at least the Nice Drop of the Red Stuff can make him pile in extra.  For SoBs, perhaps he could make Mancrushers chuck boulders now?  I wish Kragnos had Longshanks!

25 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, I saw an article I think on PlasticCraic maybe?  about how Kragnos might benefit from some Destruction armies; in Bloodgullet Ogors at least the Nice Drop of the Red Stuff can make him pile in extra.  For SoBs, perhaps he could make Mancrushers chuck boulders now?  I wish Kragnos had Longshanks!

no that ability only can be issue by a MEGAGARGANT, the only thing that comes to mind is having him in STOMPER tribe and having him give out generic CA to units since Stomper general can't use them.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Its seems to just mainly have been intended to correct a wording in the core rulebook that would have made him break allegiance abilities if taken from what I'm seeing now.  Since 99% of destro has allegiances locked to specific keywords seems like he's still pretty limited.  Someone noted the 6+ ward in bonesplitters isn't, so I guess he would get that now?  If the changes to Armor mods didn't already ****** bonesplitters so much, honestly might be a pretty decent combo.  But yeah doesn't seem to do anything for us, except what @novakai just outlined, but think he could already do that, so not really a change I think.

No biggie, that means I'll have points to run 4 megas in a SoB army for 2K, and if I make it off the waitlist for a 3K even in September, I'll use 5 megas and a unit of 3 Mancrushers.  Probably in a Taker Tribe but maybe Gatebreaker.

I noticed that Longshanks is Errata'd in the FAQ, now we ignore models less than 4" tall rather than based on wound count.  Can't decide if that's better or worse than it was?

Edited by Lord Krungharr

8 hours ago, novakai said:

only thing i notice from the FAQ was a small buff to Gatebreaker

Page 78 – Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant, Smash Down Delete the ‘Smash Down’ column of this unit’s damage table, and change the rule to: ‘Add 1 to the damage inflicted by each successful attack made by this unit that targets a unit that is part of a garrison or is wholly on or within a terrain feature. In addition, add 1 to the roll when you carry out a Smash To Rubble monstrous rampage with this unit.’

Not a big deal but isn’t this really a nerf? As he has to use a monstrous action to destroy terrain now and only slightly more efficient than any other monster, previously he could just do it natively. 

but all in all compared to most armies which had some real shakeups SoB are fairly much unchanged and looking super strong for AoS3. 

I am contemplating making an AoS 3.0 army with 4 mega gargants. As I am just starting to read about this army, I thought I’d gather thoughts on the viability of such a list. Can it be somewhat competitive in your opinion? What 4 mega garbants would you pick i. 3.0?

thanks for sharing!