Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

15 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I got 3 games in this past weekend with my Breaker Tribe.  Ended up using the portcullis and +2 attacks trait.  The portcullis didn't work much, but the +2 attacks was excellent.

Beat out a big Nurgle Daemon Tallyband, and my general (with the lucky reroll hit Triumph) one-shotted his GUO.  It was Places of Arcane Power which is an awesome mission for the 3 MegaG armies :D  I used the Krakeneater to kick an objective back to his Gnarlmaw trees so they wouldn't generate Contagion Points....which he needed to summon in more Heralds to score the objectives.  Sniped out his Pusgoyle Lord early on.  Big win there.

Game 2 was Battle for the Pass vs Seraphon, with little heroes, 2x40 Saurus Warriors, some skinky units and 3 Salamanders.  It was a nailbiter but I didn't realize how nasty those Salamanders were and they got rid of my 1 Gatebreaker way too early.  Then in turn 4 they managed to get over to the other side and finish me off.  Those Saurus guys with all the buffs hit on 2s, with extra attacks, and sometimes did MW on 6s.  YIKES!  Nasty little lizards.  Good game.

Game 3 was Better Part of Valour, the WORST mission for SoBs.  That was Idoneth with 3 Eidolons and allied unit of like 40 Eternal Guard from Cities?  Had a 2+ save turn 1?!  Annoying.  And I still had to target them with the rocks as they were the closest unit; Idoneth thing I guess.  I foolishly decided to kick up the center objective, thinking then my Mancrushers can help kill all these puny things with clustered Megas.  But then his Eidolons just hopped up after I cleaned up the Eternal Guard and wailed on my Mancrushers.  They hung on til turn 4 I think.  Had I held them back and split up my Megas to go after his 3 Battlelines separately I think I coulda had it.  Oh well, another good tight game.  Missions make a difference!

Sounds good! Not that it mattered for your game but summoned units don’t get battlefield roles. As such summoned heralds can’t score in places of arcane power as it’s leader (battlefield role) needed not hero. It also comes up for all other summoned units and missions with bonus points for specific battlefield roles. Its in the main game FAQ if you need to confirm in terms of summoned units not getting battlefield roles. 

I find a lot of players using armies with summoning have no idea this rule exists. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

a unit of 3 mancrushers can use 3 of the monstrous rampages a turn.

Indeed it’s really strong although sensibly they have limited to no duplication otherwise a stomper tribe would be doing 10 sets of charge MW and if wanted 10 sets of stomp MW. 

heroic actions are also really nice for SoB being able to dispel endless spells or gain buffs on models with are a 1/4 of the army. 

AoS3 is coming up millhouse

Edited by Reuben Parker
  • Like 1

Some good stuff here

another way to unbind spells, get command points, or heal if you are lucky.

you can super charge each mega Gargant with finest hour once per battle.

for monstrous rampage:

more MW on the charge and if your stuck in combat

prevent units from getting combat buffs on a 3+

titanic duel actually synergies well with death grip if you are facing a monster

terrain smashing

• Like 2

Looking forward to hitting on 2+ sometimes with my Gatebreakers :D

There's some thing also where shooty units can shoot a charging unit.  That could be a bit nasty for everybody.  Seems like that should sell some Kruleboyz with their wicked crossbows and ballistas.  Oh wait, WE can shoot stuff too!

So guys. It's a bit hard to make sense of all rumours. But it feels like our Sons might be in good spot in the new edition. 

Everything ive seen so far feels like a buff. Especially since saves are getting better and we have lots of juicy rend. 

What to you guys feel? 

Please GW, dont raise the points to much for the megas. 😀

• Like 1

Barring GW misses the fact that Megas and Mancrushers have zero room for point increases…

And that none of the new list building restrictions prevent you from doubling up on a specific Mega (e.g. taking two Gatebreakers)…

I’m feeling pretty good about the Sons heading into 3.0 based on what we’ve seen so far.  The ability to trigger both Hero and Monster actions a definite positive.  Don’t think the boost to counts as for other unit types enough to offset Sons advantage and fewer “reinforced” enemy units may more than make up for that.

Now if Longshanks could just learn from the fix it does look like the gave a similar Blood Knights ability…

• Like 1

Yeah overall good stuff smaller unit sizes as well will restrict people smashing gargants as easily. The battalions seem bad for us though. Unless they bring in some alternative wording for battleline behemoths it appears SoB could only field “line breaker” and only lists running multiple units of mancrushers will have that available. Still no faction battalions in matched play is still a buff :)  

4 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah overall good stuff smaller unit sizes as well will restrict people smashing gargants as easily. The battalions seem bad for us though. Unless they bring in some alternative wording for battleline behemoths it appears SoB could only field “line breaker” and only lists running multiple units of mancrushers will have that available. Still no faction battalions in matched play is still a buff :)  

Wording would actually mean we have access to only Battle Regiment, as mancrushers lose behemoth title in SoB army for battleline.

One drop gargant armies!

1 minute ago, PlayerJ said:

Wording would actually mean we have access to only Battle Regiment, as mancrushers lose behemoth title in SoB army for battleline.

One drop gargant armies!

True true true although only for mancrusher based lists. 3 mega lists will still be 3/4 depending on if the crushers are solo or not. We should beat any army not going double battle regiment (1 is too few slots) though still a nice place to be. 

1 minute ago, Reuben Parker said:

True true true although only for mancrusher based lists. 3 mega lists will still be 3/4 depending on if the crushers are solo or not. We should beat any army not going double battle regiment (1 is too few slots) though still a nice place to be. 

Technically the bonegrinder is a non-leader behemoth, so you could run mega + bonegrinder + 6 mancrushers in a regiment. Its not really as good as the other megas though

3 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Technically the bonegrinder is a non-leader behemoth, so you could run mega + bonegrinder + 6 mancrushers in a regiment. Its not really as good as the other megas though

They do say technical is the best kind of correct but when it involves fielding a bonegrinder it’s probably not :)   FW writing the warscroll, ok he’s worse than a mega not a hero so he should cost more right……

Take your son to work day in Ghur.
2CFEDB38-29D1-4998-9A8C-53CA1356C470.jpeg.fe541ee77814c3c114d0378dbba1eb5c.jpeg

“Nah, see ‘ere lad.  It’s all in the back.  Leave swinging the hips to the Aelves and lifting with your knees to Duardin…”

Cant believe how much time it took to get that mask on the Mancrusher (why is a Mancrusher head bigger than a Mega’s?) but finally had some time to assemble my Megas and now I’m using the extra bits (because boy oh boy are there a lot of leftover bits) to try and give each at least one “junior”.  Need to green stuff a smoother transition for Gatebreakers Jr.’s Hood but otherwise really happy with this mirroring.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Take your son to work day in Ghur.
2CFEDB38-29D1-4998-9A8C-53CA1356C470.jpeg.fe541ee77814c3c114d0378dbba1eb5c.jpeg

“Nah, see ‘ere lad.  It’s all in the back.  Leave swinging the hips to the Aelves and lifting with your knees to Duardin…”

Cant believe how much time it took to get that mask on the Mancrusher (why is a Mancrusher head bigger than a Mega’s?) but finally had some time to assemble my Megas and now I’m using the extra bits (because boy oh boy are there a lot of leftover bits) to try and give each at least one “junior”.  Need to green stuff a smoother transition for Gatebreakers Jr.’s Hood but otherwise really happy with this mirroring.

Mate this is incredible I cant wait to see the crew!!

• Like 1

As I want to be able to do all, builds I’m currently working on mancrushers 7-9 this morning. Was thinking though in AoS3 I don’t see using the stomper 9 build as the generic CA are so good and the hero abilities. 

It did get me thinking though maybe Stomper could become an alternative taker tribe. 2 or 3 mega one of whom can be 40 wounds (or 3d6 charge to get him where you want him) 3+ re roll with healing and then mancrushers who are better at blowing up screens. 2 or 3 drop depending on Mega count running 3 solo mancrushers would be nice (if points increases don’t stop that).

Thinking about it overalI  I probably prefer the subfaction traits / items etc over Taker tribe especially once you can increase armour save. 

17 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

As I want to be able to do all, builds I’m currently working on mancrushers 7-9 this morning. Was thinking though in AoS3 I don’t see using the stomper 9 build as the generic CA are so good and the hero abilities. 

It did get me thinking though maybe Stomper could become an alternative taker tribe. 2 or 3 mega one of whom can be 40 wounds (or 3d6 charge to get him where you want him) 3+ re roll with healing and then mancrushers who are better at blowing up screens. 2 or 3 drop depending on Mega count running 3 solo mancrushers would be nice (if points increases don’t stop that).

Thinking about it overalI  I probably prefer the subfaction traits / items etc over Taker tribe especially once you can increase armour save. 

The stomper mega general not having access to the generic command abilities hurts, but Stomper-nine is a one drop list option. Mega-nine is as well but the warstomper variant is probably the best?

36 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The stomper mega general not having access to the generic command abilities hurts, but Stomper-nine is a one drop list option. Mega-nine is as well but the warstomper variant is probably the best?

Yeah if your going for a 1 drop then probably warstomper is best still and just focus on buffing the mancrushers. As you don’t need to take the d3 command point trait with new rules in AoS3 you could either run +5 wounds or 3d6 charge on him.  In that build I would probably run the mantle for bravery 10 bubble and charge re roll which also works on himself (and makes hero healing better on him). Then just sit him deep in a free safety type role until he can engage safely. 

Just the hero abilities and new generic CA feel so strong is making me think about multiple mega even if playing stomper. Being able to have 2+ 2+ megas on a 3+ save is going to be interesting as it may actually make them competitive (although MW vulnerability is still the issue). 

I guess what else we need to see shaking out is how MSU will AoS3 be and will mancrushers be getting + damage often or not. 

As @KingBrodd Commands…

985C54AE-47C1-4B00-9C82-0274EEA279C8.jpeg.d74a0eca976f06b9402d0f3a710d3945.jpeg

“I’m a Nagash Damned Kraken EATER boy!  Ye?  Yer hardly a Kraken-snacker…”

As with the Gatebreakers Jr. now that I’ve got the core concept done will go back and add more signifiers (the jaw will become a nice belt for example) but while it took quite a bit of filing again I am very happy with how the tentacle snack turned out.  

Two concepts down.  Fortunately think Stomper Jr simplest concept to derive.  Executing though…

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

As @KingBrodd Commands…

985C54AE-47C1-4B00-9C82-0274EEA279C8.jpeg.d74a0eca976f06b9402d0f3a710d3945.jpeg

“I’m a Nagash Damned Kraken EATER boy!  Ye?  Yer hardly a Kraken-snacker…”

As with the Gatebreakers Jr. now that I’ve got the core concept don will go back and add more signifiers (the jaw will become a nice belt for example) but while it took quite a bit of filing again I am very happy with how the tentacle snack turned out.  

Two concepts down.  Fortunately think Stomper Jr simplest concept to derive.  Executing though…

Even looking down upon him like a proud father!! I love this unique concept mate!!

• Like 1

Okay, looking for a little help here as I have a decision to make in next 12 days.  Some friends are getting together at the end of July to have a small 10 person tournament to sort of say goodbye to 2.0.  To make sure everyone can easily submit 2.0 lists though the deadline for those is 6/25.

I’d been planning on running Sons as my army but, as excited as I am about the recent models, fair to say I’m getting a late start on building, nonetheless play testing.  I may be able to get in a couple games before list deadline but no5 enough to really trial a bunch of lists.

So I would appreciate any advice players with more experience have as to where list wise to maximize those first couple of matches to see if it’s realistic to play these guys next month?

I know the foundation of my list is a Gatebreaker and a Kraken-Eater and thus either Taker or Breakers for Tribe choice.  I’ve been leaning towards Breakers, and if I do the question becomes do I run an extra Gatebreaker or 6 Mancrushers (likely 3/1/1/1…).  

Where would you recommend I start with this background.  While I am the “reigning champion” of this little tournament not really looking to defend my crown but rather find the best balance of fun (for both me and my opponent) and reasonable competitiveness.

If I can’t runSons this time I do have a 3.0 tournament coming up in September and (barring weird points changes) they’re looking very strong in that context.

For breaker I would probably go additional gatebreaker and have +1 vs heroes and wizards. This will give you a strong sniping game. 

If your going taker I would probably do the 6 mancrushers with the 3 solo and just try and play objectives more. 

overall though breaker is probably my favourite for AoS2 that could change in AoS3 as all tribes get easy access to +1 to hit. 

• Like 1