Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, Drazhoath said:

Hey guys!

After a few games with all three different tribes I will make a resume:

1. I love how short the Command phase and Movement phase are! The shooting though.

2. The full painted models look great on the table! Even my enemies are frightened in the first moments. But after every game they will not because:

3. Our damage output is mediocre at best. If someone or something debuffs is with -1 to hit its devastating.

4. Even with 35 wounds our Megas die really fast. There are so many hard hitting heroes or monsters out there which can kill one mega in one turn.

Whats your experience with them and which armies you faced so far?

Yet to play with lockdowns :(  

but I can see from battle reports and just the warscrolls the issues you mention. Kind of why I’m thinking my favourite build will be triple gatebreaker mega and 3 mancrushers in one unit. +1 to hit vs characters/wizards  

at least that build has the most counter play in terms of chance to determine first turn (normally want to play second) and the best ranged sniping game. Try to blunt the most powerful hitters / combo pieces early and then the army can do its primary function of having 35 wound counts as 20 all the way to the last wound models winning on objectives. 

without some form of control anything can be deleted in AoS. Not the scariest thing at high level play but the easiest example is Skarbrand with normal support in reapers he averages 56 mortal wounds and 22 at -2 with the other axe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drazhoath said:

Whats your experience with them and which armies you faced so far?

I've played 2 games as them and 3 against them. As the sons, 1 was against a lesser tournament Tzeentch list (lots of horrors in front of flamers), while the other was against a nurgle daemons army (hordes of plague bearers with an unclean one). I played a 2 mega breaker tribe. (both of them breakers) with a 3 gargant unit and 3 individuals. The tzeentch battle was reported earlier in this thread. My assessment is as such:

1: If our opponent can kill a mega in one turn it's basically over already. (neither of my foes did so. One could have but I sabotaged that.

2: The individual gargants are very important to our strategies. I haven't faced any alpha strikes yet, but against an alpha melee build they'll be what saves us.  (or at least gives us a chance) Likewise, they're critical for missions with many objectives. 

3: I haven't played with them, but looking at the other megas, they looked fairly *meh*. Not terribly high damage. Not bad by any means, but they won't be wiping out whole 30 man units in one go. Except with battleshock assistance. I think about 10-18 damage on average. Not bad, but not doing their points in damage. I like the gate breaker, but likewise, I'd say that they need to be getting the +1 to hit to be putting work in. Both armies I fought were reliant on out grinding me with -1s to hit. Fortunately with "Idiots with flags" I was getting a +1 to hit for most of it. I think it would have been very rough if my opponents had decided to remove their commands from the units during the grind. My breakers swung wildly (the buffs/de-buffs canceling out), going anywhere from 6-32 damage. Shooting is for softening or sniping, and not to be relied on for sure. I used it to take out/soften squishy hammers. Not going to wipe out much unless you spike on a 3 man unit.

4: Megas are indeed are not terribly durable. I rarely resisted damage and was definetly reliant on the wound count and the 6++ shrug artifact. There's a lot of units that can wipe out a mega  reliably. It's why positioning is very important with this army. Kind of like imperial knights when they first came out. Half your game was positioning and the other half was target priority. Sons of behemat are somewhat similar I believe. I'll need to find a more serious army to fight to see if it holds up. Knowing when to mass and when to spread will be key (I think).

5: We're surprisingly fast. A warstomper tribe especially can get a turn 1 charge easily.

6: Fast gameplay and simple concepts. The phrase "easy to learn, but hard to master" applies I believe. There's a lot of nuance to the very simple strategy of the sons. I like it. Fast and as in depth as you want it.

7: They are indeed pretty models. Especially when painted. They leave an impression on the field.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, most of the Forgeworld fantasy line is extremely dated. With the top tier plastic designs currently coming out of GW, the need for resin models is fastly fading. The bonegrinder is unfortunately one of those models that is no longer needed. Especially now that we have Mega’s, the bonegrinder looks hokey by comparison and harkens to an era quickly fading from the game. 

• Like 1

So with the FAQ round the corner, are we expecting point changes for Sons? Personally I'd love a 10 point drop on mancrushers. 

Though seemingly an arbitrary amount, it would be exactly enough to open up the play style a little as youd be able to run 3 individual mancrushers along with a single megagargant in a 1000 point block or a unit of 3, 1 mega and a triumph (most likely) 

At 2k points you'd be able to run units of 2 mancrushers as a viable option also.

As for the mega gargants themselves....I cant see them changing. 

Edited by BrocknerTheBear
  • Like 1

I am more excited for the rumored white dwarf supplement. A new and different set of tribe rules would be interesting.  A battalion or two would definitely boost the power level of the tome but I as a whole don't like battalions/formations at all in AoS (Either must include or overpriced garbage in my experience).

As far as points go a 10 drop on the gargants and megas wouldn't be out of place. army can perform though so I wouldn't care if nothing changed at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BigNStinky said:

I am more excited for the rumored white dwarf supplement. A new and different set of tribe rules would be interesting.  A battalion or two would definitely boost the power level of the tome but I as a whole don't like battalions/formations at all in AoS (Either must include or overpriced garbage in my experience).

As far as points go a 10 drop on the gargants and megas wouldn't be out of place. army can perform though so I wouldn't care if nothing changed at all.

I thought it was confirmed that 460 didnt have any rules updates for SOB. I would love it it did.

• Thanks 1

OLD SALT!

The big heel of my gargant stomp is a kraken  eater known to his underlings as Old salt.

To all races too little to realise, he is the answer to the mystery of the strange soft thunder entwined in the winds of Grumblers cove.

For Old salt mumbles seemingly to himself, oft unaware even of his mancrusher cohort, of deeds long in the past. Tales of monsters and fleets crushed by his might, yet seemingly without recognition, In much the same way an old, underappreciated soldier might begrudge his past over another tankard of ale for none and all to hear.

My gargants have no names as such, they are all simply known by the names given to them by those who encounter them. This idea sprang to mind whilst staring at the sprues and turned out far simpler then first thought. Little green stuff and all will be good.

20210112_202734.jpg

20210112_202655.jpg

20210112_202800.jpg

Edited by BrocknerTheBear
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

Ahoy Lads and Lasses, 

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I've been in and out of the hobby for almost 10 years, and I could not have been more ecstatic to see the release of these big, dumb idiots in the fall. Suffice it to say, I've been paining up my Big Three and now that they're (mostly) finished, I thought I would share the background on them and how they look! They were a blast to create and I hope y'all enjoy the models! (Credits to my lovely girlfriend for picking out the names of the stomp and the Big Three!)

The Big Heel of the Hellbender Stomp is an ancient gargant who goes by Igor. Hailing from the swamps of Ghyran, Igor would travel throughout his territory (which is everything he could see) and utterly obliterate anyone or anything he found.  For decades, tales were told of a gargant so strong, that he would rip two trees out of the earth and smite entire armies in his path. So fiery was his wrath, that he gained many titles from the cities in the area; Oakbreaker, Lakemaker, Twinclub, Citycrusher, and finally the one that stuck: Igor, the Berserker. His campaign against seemingly everything in his path was finally halted when he came across a travelling circus and met the first addition to his Stomp, Fernand. 

Fernand had been travelling with The Runik Cirkus, although, he was more of a sideshow.  Poor Fernand had been tainted by some foul magics that had caused him to be born with horns.  For many years, and in fact, as long as he could remember, Fernand had always been in chains, locked up and dragged around by the circus beasts and kept from fleeing by the mages in the group. Clumsy, foolish, and far too large to be of any other use than to haul equipment, Fernand was oftentimes whipped or tortured for his seemingly endless ability to cause chaos. Fernand became horribly disfigured during this time, and he covered himself with the rags of tents that were too old and ratty for performance, or that were simply left behind after a show.  Fernand grew to hate civilization, and over time he became silent, refusing to speak to the circus performers or even to himself. 

It was by happenstance, then, that one day Igor was chasing a pack of wild boar and stumbled across The Runik Cirkus, Fernand in tow. As Igor began stomping on the performers and crushing their equipment, the Ringmaster released Fernand from his chains, ordering him to fight the Oakbreaker. As the chains fell from Fernand's wrists and he stepped forward to combat Igor, he paused. A wagon flew past his shoulder as he watched Igor simply pick up a member of the troupe, and bite off his head. Fernand was dumbfounded. He had never considered such a simple solution to his problems before. 

As he snapped back to the situation at hand, he felt the whip of the Ringmaster at his back again. This time, however, Fernand turned around, snatched him up, and devoured him whole. He was....delicious. 

"Fernand, you cannibal!" shrieked Delilah, the  circus acrobat. "You can't do this to us!" 

Her pleas fell on deaf ears as Fernand stomped her flat.  After the massacre of the Runik Cirkus, Igor marched over to Fernand and grabbed him by the shoulders. 

"Oi, youse dun reel good back there, reel good beatin' dem runts; YA STOMPED EM GOOD! WHATS YER NAME?"

Fernand paused. He had never had to introduce himself before.

"Fernand....Cannibal." The words seemed to crawl out of his mouth like a tortoise, but they were finally out there, his first words as a free gargant. 

"Roight, Ferman," boomed Igor, "I been lookin fer new fings ta smash, and yer the first new guy I come acrosst. Howdya like to smash moar stuff?" 

Fernand smiled. He nodded his agreement, picked up a piece of the rubble and wrapped his chains around it. His prison was now his weapon. 

In the following weeks, Fernand the Cannibal became a travelling companion to Igor. They terrorized the settlements they came across, and chased wild boar throughout the highlands of Ghyran.  During their travels, they encountered a terrifying new ally in Yosef, who was known in the area as the Jagged King. Fearsome, ruthless, and arrogant to a fault, Yosef sought to take control of the surrounding towns and villages, then collect their warriors' trinkets to add to his own.  When Igor began another rampage through one of his towns, Yosef challenged the new intruder to single combat. Igor, blood-mad and reckless, saw red and immediately charged the Jagged King. They fought a brutal and bloody battle for hours, until Fernand, who did not understand the rules of the duel, smashed Yosef with his massive flail, cracking his skull clean open. He collapsed to the ground as Igor stomped on him again and again, bringing Yosef firmly under his heel. 

From that point forward, Yosef became embittered. Losing a battle was bad enough, but now with his injuries, he knew he could never challenge Igor again, let alone fight two mega-gargants. Instead, he would incite Igor's rage at the times when it was most opportune to him, so he could collect more trinkets and furs for his collection. A king, he reasoned, should have someone else do the dirty work. 

...And that's pretty much where I'm at right now! Storyline is lacking some specific details, but the ideas for all the gargants just kind of popped up as they were getting assembled and painted. I did a little bit of kitbashing and some extra modelling, hopefully this can inspire a few of you to make your own lore for your stomp, or try new modelling ideas! Cheers!

Fernand, The Cannibal.jpg

Igor, The Berserker.jpg

Yosef, The Malcontent.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

Got a question regarding the painting of the megas. Should they be done in sub assemblies or put together as a whole model? I was initially thinking of doing Burg up in 3 pieces. The torso, the legs, and the base. Are there alternate configurations people recommend? Should I keep him as a solid piece? The main reason I'm tempted by that option is that my re-posing has left a gap at his waist that needs filling. My life would be much easier if I glued him in place and then filled the gap. I could do it the other way, but that would be a big pain. Thanks for any advice from those who have done it. I should have pictures of my first mega (and soon after his partner) in the not too distant future.

Cheers, For Behemat!

16 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Got a question regarding the painting of the megas. Should they be done in sub assemblies or put together as a whole model? I was initially thinking of doing Burg up in 3 pieces. The torso, the legs, and the base. Are there alternate configurations people recommend? Should I keep him as a solid piece? The main reason I'm tempted by that option is that my re-posing has left a gap at his waist that needs filling. My life would be much easier if I glued him in place and then filled the gap. I could do it the other way, but that would be a big pain. Thanks for any advice from those who have done it. I should have pictures of my first mega (and soon after his partner) in the not too distant future.

Cheers, For Behemat!

I have found their pose to be open enough to paint fully assembled with little difficulty.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Cheers, For Behemat!

Personally I've painted the arms and the belly attachments separately so as to be able to paint the skin underneath. 

• Thanks 1

Alright, another battle report. This time vs Lumineth. I thought his list was rather weak, but it had the basic core of  one of the net lists. We'll see how long until he decides to embrace the meta. Fluff: "Some of dem pointy ears says we's gonna break d'ere magic circle. Sumfii'n about fancy rocks. Alls I knows is dey is gonna make good eatin!" 

My list: Breaker tribe - idiots with flags.       6 drops, 142 wounds

Spoiler

GateBreaker mega gargant - general, extremely bitter(heroes), enchanted portculis

GateBreaker mega gargant

3 mancrusher gargants

3x1 mancrusher gargants

My opponent's list:  Great nation - Syar, 7 drops, lots of spells I don't remember

Spoiler

Teclis 

Cathaler - general, syar artifact/trait

2x20 archers

2x10 wardens (spears)

Spirit of the mountain

Deployment/setup: So the mission was starstrike on a jungle mat. A smattering of forests and  ruins covered the board. The only piece of terrain that effected anything was a volcanic wall in the center of my opponent's deployment zone. I had a commanding one by me. We were fighting in the realm of light so everything got mystical as well. The mystical actually had very little impact on the game. I think it saved 3 wounds total from either side. My opponent put his spearmen in front with shining company and the archers did likewise behind them. In between the 2 groups was Teclis with the spirit acting as his shield. I did  my standard thing and picked a roughly middle terrain piece and put a mega on either side. The 3 man unit went on the left hoping to snag a charge onto his slightly more exposed archers. Two of the lone crushers babysat the table edges while the third hung out in the middle.

Turn 1: I finished setting up and got to decide. My opponent had deployed as far back as possible and couldn't get into range first turn, so I made him go first in the hopes of a double turn. Interestingly instead of moving up he stayed exactly put and cast some protective spells. Then he gave it back to me. My entire center moved up, only the lone gargants on the edges stayed put. Everybody else ran or otherwise moved forward. Only the spears or the ethereal mountain spirit could get hit so I crushed 4 of them and called my turn.

Turn 2: Big roll off, I was in range of all the debuff and attack spells so it would hurt if he went next. Fortunately for me I won the roll off. It did mean the cow was still ethereal, but I had a plan for that. Sort of. Volcanic went off and did 2 wounds to big T and 1 to the mountain. Both my megas moved up andmissed their shots as did the little gargant. Charge phase time. The 3 man unit failed 2 6 inch charges in a row while the Boss rammed straight into Teclis, wifey reached the archers(when she piled in). The charges killed all but 1 spear elf and did 2 wounds to Teclis and 1 to the rock cow. Teclis had to die so I put everything from my general into him. Boss man did 18 wounds to Teclis and slew him. In vengeance the cow did 17 wounds back to him. 18 archers got smashed to bits from wifey. Then came his turn, The spell that makes you roll 2d6 and hope to get below your bravery rather hurt my unwounded mega gargant. She was basically out of the game from here on in. He also moved his general behind the last 2 archers to prevent my general from fighting. Rude. The other archers took 6 wounds from my little gargant that had grabbed the first meteor and with some lucky saves, the cow only brought my general to 26 damage taken. 

Turn 3: We tied on the roll off and thus I won it. Volcanic did 2 wounds to both of us. Not wanting to lose the boss man I took the turn. Both meteors dropped in places easily taken by me and I had lone gargants go and grab them. My general retreated and the 3 man unit charged the archers and the cow. A lone mancrusher (elfcrusher?) smacked into the other spear unit and wiped them out after they had broken formation. The cow was headbutted to death as the archers got stuffed into a sack. He had his general and 20 archers surrounded by my mostly healthy giants. At best he'd kill one with no hope for taking the objectives so we called it.

That was a rough match up for my opponent. (I was initially worried about facing the lumineth) Once again his army was counting on that -1 to be hit. Without it they were just too squishy. The +1 to hit vs heroes also proved very useful and almost everything in the game has a command model, meaning that the idiots with flags was useful as always. The lumineth just didn't have the staying power or damage to deal with my army. Maybe that lumineth horde build could work but I don't know. I feel like Sons are just going to be rough on them. Fast and don't care about their targeted hero removal. Well, I hope you enjoyed the battle report (even if I think it went too smoothly for any real lessons), and stay safe out there.

For Behemat!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The dragon broke my will. He’s not done, especially not the dragon, but the big man himself is just about ready. Say hello to Burg Star Breaker, the leader of my stomp. I thought about having dudes riding him into battle but I thought it would make him too busy. Plus after the chaos dwarves, no little one is clambering on him. Needs some more work on the club, but he’s otherwise ready. The dragon however is just too skinny, so I’m taking a break before I bulk him up. That scaly monster was horrible to build and I’ve been wanting to share Burg for a while now.
Not sure if I should add anything to the belt or leave it.  the club is meant to have a shattered chaos Star on the top representing the additional damage. I’m not a fan of the flail we have, so Burg has a morning star instead.(also lets him be the others if I want)
Hope y’all get some inspiration from this, enjoy.

For Behemat!

2062CDFF-CD17-4C92-AA95-BB1C164ADCF7.jpeg

Spoiler

FBBABAAB-7F65-477F-BE9F-0D6C7A910D4F.jpeg

BFE3F6AF-A707-47A0-8942-9A5C1B2471CC.jpeg

22A7AE9F-7CD6-499E-9909-D1FE8F244D98.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey fellow Gargants,

i need some skin tone advice. My first Mega and three Mancrusher are painted in (Darkoath Flesh on Wrath Bone). My second Mega should get a darker skintone (just like the Krakeneater on GW Website) and i want to use contrast paint again. I am a friend of simple painting, so it is contrast, drybrush and finished.

Do you have a good advice how to achive the wanted effect? Maybe Wyldwood would work?

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Hey fellow Gargants,

i need some skin tone advice. My first Mega and three Mancrusher are painted in (Darkoath Flesh on Wrath Bone). My second Mega should get a darker skintone (just like the Krakeneater on GW Website) and i want to use contrast paint again. I am a friend of simple painting, so it is contrast, drybrush and finished.

Do you have a good advice how to achive the wanted effect? Maybe Wyldwood would work?

I know this isn't a gargant, but this is a kairic acolyte with wraithbone spray, then flayed one flesh, then gore-grunta fur thinned with some contrast medium

20201219_175259.jpg

• Like 1