Sons of Behemat Discussion πŸ‘£

Gareth πŸ„

So, this Saturday I have 3 games lined up for my first battles with my Sons. One is a Fangs of Sotek army. The second is Beastmen. Finally, the third is against Big Waaagh. I’ll provide all of the spooky results on that night of Halloween πŸŽƒ Horrors. Can’t think of a better night to introduce my Sons army to my group.Β 

FE5FBCD9-40F0-4383-93C7-30D58E6AA22C.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Trout said:

Because it's ugly and unappealing. You can't even really tell what's what in the Lumineth army; it all looks like blobs of gray.

You might want to consider glasses in that case. There are hardly any battle reports of Sons of Behemat atm., so I dont understand why you feel the need to take a dump on a competitive content creator that took his time to film, clip and upload their battle report for our entertainment.Β 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scythian said:

So, this Saturday I have 3 games lined up for my first battles with my Sons. One is a Fangs of Sotek army. The second is Beastmen. Finally, the third is against Big Waaagh. I’ll provide all of the spooky results on that night of Halloween πŸŽƒ Horrors. Can’t think of a better night to introduce my Sons army to my group.Β 

FE5FBCD9-40F0-4383-93C7-30D58E6AA22C.jpeg

Stomper tribe or takers?

On 10/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, Scythian said:

Stomper Tribe

What trait/artefact are you gonna roll with?Β 

Im gonna give Stomper a try even though I do believe in Breakers. Im still kinda undecided on the artefact and trait.. I feel like there are two builds you can go;

1. Either you go for Very Shouty + Ironweld Cestus to generate CPs for shooting and for rerolling potential charges, plus making the WS significantly more tanky, which ultimately leads to him living more rounds and thus generating more VPs. The MWs on 6s to save will also be great against stuff with tons of no-rend attacks, where you will cause quite a bit of damage by return damage alone. Unfortunatenly it is only against melee attacks he has return damage.
  2. On the other hand you can go Eager for a Fight + Mantle of the Destroyer. This combo means you dont really need as many CPs (hence I wouldnt go Very Shouty) since 1) Your dudes will have Bravery 10, so you dont needΒ a CP to Inspiring Presence if 2 smallΒ lads die. 2) You also get reroll charges on the small lads and himself, hence reducing the amount of CPs you need to reroll potential failed charges. Big boy moving 10" and charging 3D6 with a reroll means he will generally cover a lot of ground.

Second thing Im torn about is going 3x3 Mancrushers or 2x3 + 3x1 setup. The first setup means you are a 4 drop and likely able to determine who goes first, which is kinda huge since we have little to mitigate the opponent getting a double turn, and I think we NEED the double turn against certain armies. With the 3x3 MC setup you are also looking at getting both an extra CP and very likely a triumph due to being at 1970 pts.Β 

Going 2x3 + 3x1 means you are looking at a 6 drop list, no extra CP and much lessΒ likely to get a triumph with you sitting at 1980. This list is a lot more flexible though, since you can leave a single MC in the back on an objective, and with it counting as 10 and having 12 wounds it is likely not dying/losing the objectiveΒ to teleport shenanigans unless the opponent commits a big unit. Sending in a single MC to smash a bunch of Death Frenzied Plague Monks or whatever is also a lot more valuable, since the opponent is really only gonna get 1 MC killed from the rats fighting back after death. You also have the option of charging something with multiple singles, meaning the opponent has to split his attacks perfectly or he will suffer big time. The downside is that you only get to swing with 1 MC at a time, and they die kinda fast in melee, so I would probably rather get to swing with 3 at a time and ensure I kill whatever I charged. I think thats the greatest way of keeping them alive.Β 

In the case of Plague Monks you could probably just shoot them with 9xD3 attacks, dealing 24 damage on average against a 6+ save, then aim to charge and fight whatever else that isnt buffed by Death Frenzy. You have to decide between running + charging the MCs or shooting a big blob of whatever with their significant shooting attack. Being able to move the MC 8", then autorun 6" with a CP and potentially reroll their charge with Mantle seems like you could have an army that covers a lot of ground turn 1.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
- Tribe: Stomper Tribe

Leaders
Warstomper Mega-GargantΒ (480)

Battleline
3 x Mancrusher GargantsΒ (480)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command PointΒ (50)

Total:Β 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points:Β 1
Allies:Β 0 / 400
Wounds:Β 143

Β 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
- Tribe: Stomper Tribe

Leaders
Warstomper Mega-GargantΒ (480)

Battleline
1 x Mancrusher GargantsΒ (180)

Total:Β 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points:Β 0
Allies:Β 0 / 400
Wounds:Β 143

Β 

Edited by Kasper
  • Thanks 1

Only 1 hero will create serious issues in several battleplans, even though on paper, 1 stomper and 9 mancrushers could seem ideal for pure output. I would probably bring a Kraken Eater, Stomper 1 unit of 3 gargants and then 1-1-1 or 2-1, to increase board presence a bit.

Stomper tribes does 2 things well and 1 is horde clearing and the second is improving mancrushers through commands. They also have the best artifact by far in the cestus, I would always take that, it provides so much staying power.

For trait, I'd say shouty is in general the best one and always good to take, it allows more rock throwing or getting those auto 6s to run or reroll 1s to hit, which can make a huge difference at the right time more than anything else.

The Kraken Eater gets no benefit for being in a stomper tribe, but it gives you 1 extra hero and opens up some play options with the kick objective ability. Without him, the list will have huge problems in plans like 3 places of power for example.

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

Only 1 hero will create serious issues in several battleplans, even though on paper, 1 stomper and 9 mancrushers could seem ideal for pure output. I would probably bring a Kraken Eater, Stomper 1 unit of 3 gargants and then 1-1-1 or 2-1, to increase board presence a bit.

Stomper tribes does 2 things well and 1 is horde clearing and the second is improving mancrushers through commands. They also have the best artifact by far in the cestus, I would always take that, it provides so much staying power.

For trait, I'd say shouty is in general the best one and always good to take, it allows more rock throwing or getting those auto 6s to run or reroll 1s to hit, which can make a huge difference at the right time more than anything else.

The Kraken Eater gets no benefit for being in a stomper tribe, but it gives you 1 extra hero and opens up some play options with the kick objective ability. Without him, the list will have huge problems in plans like 3 places of power for example.

From my own experience the KE is just not very impressive. You really rely on spiking high on the kick roll. So far I dont feel like he is worth it at all outside of Taker where he gets to do 3D6, which makes it a lot more reliable to get a reasonable distance and something you can actually rely on. Sure, the 1 hero + 9 MC lineup is gonna have trouble on Places of Arcane Power. A lot of armies dont have strong heroes, so you can probably aim to kill those while your WS sits and accumilates more and more VP each round. Otherwise it might just be a single battleplan you will have to give up for an overall (imo) stronger list. It is not really different than armies not purposely building to have stronger battleline units for Better Part of Valor.

10 hours ago, Kasper said:

From my own experience the KE is just not very impressive. You really rely on spiking high on the kick roll. So far I dont feel like he is worth it at all outside of Taker where he gets to do 3D6, which makes it a lot more reliable to get a reasonable distance and something you can actually rely on. Sure, the 1 hero + 9 MC lineup is gonna have trouble on Places of Arcane Power. A lot of armies dont have strong heroes, so you can probably aim to kill those while your WS sits and accumilates more and more VP each round. Otherwise it might just be a single battleplan you will have to give up for an overall (imo) stronger list. It is not really different than armies not purposely building to have stronger battleline units for Better Part of Valor.

Agreed
Β 

Also in taker he gets the sandals which massively boost his damage output. From average 4 at -2 on a 3+3+ to 9 at -3.Β 
Β 

In general I’m not sold that KE taker is the way to go but if you have him then it feels like you need him as the focus to make him worthwhile.Β 

2 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Recently finished a game with Taker Tribe, KE + WS and 2x3 MC's. Cant say too much in a short space but my buddy super meta'd me and played Bonesplittaz of all things. Monster hunting ork tribes was unfair. Still fun. Lemme tell you Big Stabbas put a whoopin on Gargants. Was not ready for that.

Deepkin Dom-Hain will be similar with the re roll all wounds vs monsters for eels.Β 

Longtime lurker of this thread (and site) with a little AAR.

First game with the Sons yesterday. 1000p vs Blades of Khorne. Ran Breaker Tribe with the FL that gave +1 to hit against Heroes. My buddy who plays Khorne LOVES to spam Slaughterpriests and the like and usually runs 3-4 heroes. My Gatebreaker took the CT which gave +2 attacks to the Flail and the +6 FNP Artifact. Took the Mega and a unit of 3 Mancrushers. He brought a lord of Khorne backed up by three units of Blood Warriors, some Blood Hounds, and a bunch of characters. Battleplan was Total Conquest. First "mistake" was him winning the roll off for realm- choosing Chamon not only slowed my gargants down but also forced me to reconsider attacking near terrain even though as Breaker Tribe I would want to. Really smart choice on his part (I would've of course chosen Ghur)

Turn 1: I took first turn, charged up the center with my entire force. Mancrushers peppered his front lines with boulders and killed a couple warriors and hounds. Critically, my Mancrushers made their charge but my Mega didn't- that Entangling already was spoiling my plans. Hilariously, all three Mancrushers managed to stuff 3 two-wound Blood Warriors in their bags, plus did decent damage with impact hits. First turn combat saw me wipe out his Blood Warriors, while also bringing down his dangerous Lord of Khorne down to two wounds. His dice rolls were terrible first turn, only bringing one Mancrusher down to half. His first turn saw his prayers fail to go off, crippling his slaughter priests, but he soon brought the pain- two Mancrushers were killed in his combat phase, but between one falling on him and the last Mancrusher fighting back I was able to kill the LoK. His surviving Blood Hounds race along the flank and grab one of the neutral objectives. Score is 3-1 in my favor.Β 

Turn 2: I won the roll off. He spent his Blood Tithe points to attack in my hero phase and killed my last Mancrusher. At this point I have one model left, but I'm able to snipe a Slaughterpriest with the boulder and wipe out the last of his foot troops. He does decent enough damage, as I believe his subfaction allowed him to attack with slain models. As an added bonus I destroy the Skull Throne. His hounds tag another objective, evening up the score.Β 

Turn 3: He double turns me.Β  At this point his characters are taking on my Mega (not a good idea) while his hounds race around the board gaining as many objectives as possible. He summons a unit of blood hounds onto another objectiveΒ Β I abandon his original objective and wipe a squad of hounds off the table. He takes the lead.Β 

Turn 4: He wins priority again and actively is avoiding me, chipping me off with Blood Boil. I manage to kill a group of hounds off an objective, but at this point I'm banking on a double turn. Memory is foggy at this point, but if I remember correctly if I got the double going into turn 5 I would be able to table him and edge him out by a point, but alas the dice gods say otherwise, and we called it a game at that.Β 

Overall, very happy how the units performed combat wise. Mancrushers hit like tanks but the +5 save is BRUTAL against even -1. Mega Gargant was still a blender, even though at the end he had sustained 24 wounds. Happy with my choice of CT but not Artifact- might have been bad rolling but I think I would've chosen the one that gives you mortal wound damage on a 6 with your flail. As stated, Realm hurt ALOT. If I had managed to charge in my Mega, my Mancrushers would have been freed to fall back on the objectives that were eventually taken by the hounds. Obviously this all is prefaced by the fact that 1000 points is hard to do with this army. Splitting my Mancrushers into 2x1 units would have helped with board control but left me with 100 points or so to spare. My group usually plays late at night so the 1000 point amount is the sweet spot in terms of time. Will try single Mancrushers though next time. Gargants are a lot of fun to play with! And unlike Ogors or Troggoths (which are my two primary armies) requires alot more strategic thinking than I imagined they would.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoonKing98 said:

Longtime lurker of this thread (and site) with a little AAR.

First game with the Sons yesterday. 1000p vs Blades of Khorne. Ran Breaker Tribe with the FL that gave +1 to hit against Heroes. My buddy who plays Khorne LOVES to spam Slaughterpriests and the like and usually runs 3-4 heroes. My Gatebreaker took the CT which gave +2 attacks to the Flail and the +6 FNP Artifact. Took the Mega and a unit of 3 Mancrushers. He brought a lord of Khorne backed up by three units of Blood Warriors, some Blood Hounds, and a bunch of characters. Battleplan was Total Conquest. First "mistake" was him winning the roll off for realm- choosing Chamon not only slowed my gargants down but also forced me to reconsider attacking near terrain even though as Breaker Tribe I would want to. Really smart choice on his part (I would've of course chosen Ghur)

Turn 1: I took first turn, charged up the center with my entire force. Mancrushers peppered his front lines with boulders and killed a couple warriors and hounds. Critically, my Mancrushers made their charge but my Mega didn't- that Entangling already was spoiling my plans. Hilariously, all three Mancrushers managed to stuff 3 two-wound Blood Warriors in their bags, plus did decent damage with impact hits. First turn combat saw me wipe out his Blood Warriors, while also bringing down his dangerous Lord of Khorne down to two wounds. His dice rolls were terrible first turn, only bringing one Mancrusher down to half. His first turn saw his prayers fail to go off, crippling his slaughter priests, but he soon brought the pain- two Mancrushers were killed in his combat phase, but between one falling on him and the last Mancrusher fighting back I was able to kill the LoK. His surviving Blood Hounds race along the flank and grab one of the neutral objectives. Score is 3-1 in my favor.Β 

Turn 2: I won the roll off. He spent his Blood Tithe points to attack in my hero phase and killed my last Mancrusher. At this point I have one model left, but I'm able to snipe a Slaughterpriest with the boulder and wipe out the last of his foot troops. He does decent enough damage, as I believe his subfaction allowed him to attack with slain models. As an added bonus I destroy the Skull Throne. His hounds tag another objective, evening up the score.Β 

Turn 3: He double turns me.Β  At this point his characters are taking on my Mega (not a good idea) while his hounds race around the board gaining as many objectives as possible. He summons a unit of blood hounds onto another objectiveΒ Β I abandon his original objective and wipe a squad of hounds off the table. He takes the lead.Β 

Turn 4: He wins priority again and actively is avoiding me, chipping me off with Blood Boil. I manage to kill a group of hounds off an objective, but at this point I'm banking on a double turn. Memory is foggy at this point, but if I remember correctly if I got the double going into turn 5 I would be able to table him and edge him out by a point, but alas the dice gods say otherwise, and we called it a game at that.Β 

Overall, very happy how the units performed combat wise. Mancrushers hit like tanks but the +5 save is BRUTAL against even -1. Mega Gargant was still a blender, even though at the end he had sustained 24 wounds. Happy with my choice of CT but not Artifact- might have been bad rolling but I think I would've chosen the one that gives you mortal wound damage on a 6 with your flail. As stated, Realm hurt ALOT. If I had managed to charge in my Mega, my Mancrushers would have been freed to fall back on the objectives that were eventually taken by the hounds. Obviously this all is prefaced by the fact that 1000 points is hard to do with this army. Splitting my Mancrushers into 2x1 units would have helped with board control but left me with 100 points or so to spare. My group usually plays late at night so the 1000 point amount is the sweet spot in terms of time. Will try single Mancrushers though next time. Gargants are a lot of fun to play with! And unlike Ogors or Troggoths (which are my two primary armies) requires alot more strategic thinking than I imagined they would.Β 

Β 

Good bat rep thier buddy, yeah I think these lads shine at 2k it seems....I bet your mate was fuming when you where stuffing blood warriors in your mancrushers bags πŸ˜„

I did a 1k battle against myΒ son who playsΒ stormcast and managed to stuff 2 retributors away rolling 6s.....such a cool abilityΒ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Always mate!! Just love the look, thanks for the kind words!!

Just the truth dude...also I love the base.....reminds me of a proper old school fantasy base in days when orcs used to have chequered shoulder pads and goblins painted thier spear shafts with bright colours. Well impressedΒ 

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Just the truth dude...also I love the base.....reminds me of a proper old school fantasy base in days when orcs used to have chequered shoulder pads and goblins painted thier spear shafts with bright colours. Well impressedΒ 

Haha thanks mate it was a look I was inspired by!! I wanted a forest/meadow themed Gargant that has just broke from the edge of the Woods to wreck havoc on the local townsfolk.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I collected three more wins today with SoB, same list I played last time, only as Breaker tribe. It did feel a lot stronger than Taker, but I played against some goofy lists so I don't think it was good enough to gauge the performance of the army. The interesting thing to point out is each game lasted only around half an hour. I have yet to play against any of the meta top players yet, though.

Edited by Latty

Halloween πŸŽƒ Horrors Battle Report

Β 

Game 1: Sons of Behemat and Gloomspite Gitz vs. Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt (Scenario Rolled: Take and Hold)

This game was a complete steamroll. Sons just steamrolled the Sylvaneth on our right flank but the Kurnoth Hunters did their best to hold us off. TheΒ Gloomspite squigs just bounced up a storm on the Nighthaunt using Manglers and Boingrot Bounderz. After 3 Turns, Sons claimed the objective in our opponent’s zone and won the game. This was a hard fought game, but the steamroll was not going to be stopped.Β 

Sons and Gloomies for the win

Game 2: Sons of Behemat and Sylvaneth vs. Fyreslayers and Nighthaunt (Scenario Rolled: The Blade’s Edge)

This game was a whole new experience with the Fyreslayers in the mix. Sons grabbed the middle and right objectives on my side while the Sylvaneth grabbed the left flank objectives. Sons spent most of the game beating down the 4+ save of the Nighthaunt but the Fyreslayers held the center very quickly. We kept losing priority but removed the right amount of strategic objectives and eventually the Sylvaneth were able to beat back a deadly assault by the Fyreslayers. Sons spent their time just holding off the Nighthaunt but eventually wiped them out. Mancrushers did their job by dying slowly for their Big Heel Lord and in the end, the two Mega’s were left once the smoke cleared. A very brutal assault by the Fyreslayers and Nighthaunt, but we pulled off a victory in the end.Β 

Sons and Sylvaneth for the win.

Final Analysis: The Sons of Behemat performed EXACTLY as I thought they would. No, really, they do exactly what you think they’ll do. The Mancrushers live long enough to wipe away any threats while your Mega’s do exactly what you need them to do. I’m currently getting ready to add the final Mega into the army so I’ll have one of each type. I’m going to use a Taker Tribe so I can have the Lantern and Sandals on the Krakeneater. That will give me some magical defense. If it seems useless, I’ll return to using a Warstomper General. It was awesome having only eight models to move around. Truly the lazy gamer’s dream army, lol. While I don’t believe they’re a 5-0 army, they’re still a lot of fun to play and my opponents loved fighting them. Definitely a beer and pretzels army but with the potential to do much more. Overall, I’m very happy that I bought into this army. They’re a welcome addition to Destruction and will bring fun and excitement to any table they play on.Β 

Β 

67B0CBB1-F7FA-4FEC-8487-0F05B110CA53.jpeg

BF2BA989-C8E1-46E9-9EAE-2EB76FA7BC5E.jpeg

8E599BB3-04A8-4D9A-8314-0F16A5178D3F.jpeg

576C91CF-F1B9-49E9-9DF0-AEAD5AA054AB.jpeg

5F902AED-E7A8-46BA-960B-D1905173F311.jpeg

F3C3F785-2A2E-4E46-B804-CAC437BAD46B.jpeg

83D3716C-8F7C-420A-9F48-8302291AA1EC.jpeg

79B4932A-60FC-4997-A79B-5ECA39BC7E51.jpeg

9B7C4248-0E98-48CC-9755-99CE7B4B1B36.jpeg

0A0051F8-CBB9-4D9C-BE01-35EC78315084.jpeg

0C35AC5F-8B16-47D0-811E-1F0AC57F2526.jpeg