Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

On 10/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, Reuben Parker said:

always a good channel. Yes some mistakes on rules and maybe on tactics but still nice to see the giants really putting out the damage. 

on the hobby side just working on my bases. One of my favourite parts of big models is using real stones in the basing. Will post pics once done just gluing the stones and sand currently. 

also I’m going to adorn my Gargants with pieces of my old Tomb Kings army I guess the real reason they got wiped out was really the rise of the Gargants. 

That might have been worth watching had they taken the time to paint their models.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, Moogypies said:

So, the SoB are members of Shredder's Foot Clan. New TMNT models confirmed!

Edited by Trout
  • Haha 1

Played a couple of games yesterday, here's my report and what I think so far.

For starters, I played the following list:

Kraken-eater (General, Strong Right Foot, Krakenskin Sandals)

Gatebreaker

Bonegrinder

3 Mancrushers

First match I played DoK in Total Conquest. He played the usual Hag Narr list. He beat me in drops and took first turn. I made the mistake of deploying too close, and he got his blob of witch aelves on my Gatebreaker turn 1. Due to the small footprint, he could only get half of the unit in combat, and the Gatebreaker tanked 20 wounds. My bonegrinder and Mancrushers ran up the board together to take the neutral objective and engage 30 more aelves, Morathi, and the blood cauldron. My Kraken-eater kicked up my objective and stayed on it the whole time, engaging the first 30 witch aelves while my Gatebreaker retreated to capture the other neutral objective. A couple bloody combat phases later, only one Mancrusher had died while Daughters was almost completely tabled. Called the match in round 3 for SoB.

Second match I played against Cities of Sigmar, a hallowheart Freeguild shooting list, Places of Arcane Power. I took first turn this round and ran my Bonegrinder into his hammer unit of Greatswords. I killed about 20, but in the subsequent turn he focused his shooting on the Bonegrinder to take him out. My Gatebreaker took one of the side objectives while my Mancrushers screened for him. Opponent used Soulscream bridge to drop 30 handgunners in shooting range of my Kraken Eater. He survived the first volley and it went to my turn. I ran him away taking the objective with him, and before long I was too far up on points for my opponent to come back.

I think Taker is the way to go if you're playing 3 mega gargants, as the Mancrusher buffs from the other tribe don't go far when you've only got one unit. The tribe turned my Kraken Eater into a capable fighter, and the 3d6 kick made playing keep-away super strong. Counting as 30 models didn't really come into play save for once in the DoK game when the witch aelves engaged my Kraken Eater. I may try a different tribe with more Mancrushers in the future. Overall they felt very solid to play, plenty durable, and monsters at the objective game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

How do you mean? SoB can’t take allies and other armies can only take one MG.  

That's almost true, but the Forbidden Power rules are officially still current, which adds in Fyreslayers and FEC as Mercs.  

One interesting option could be the Arch Regent, for a 2-spell wizard who comes with 20 "free" Ghouls.

44 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

That's almost true, but the Forbidden Power rules are officially still current, which adds in Fyreslayers and FEC as Mercs.  

One interesting option could be the Arch Regent, for a 2-spell wizard who comes with 20 "free" Ghouls.

True, I guess best in stompers with d3 command point trait for the summon and cover the lost CP. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Latty said:

Played a couple of games yesterday, here's my report and what I think so far.

For starters, I played the following list:

Kraken-eater (General, Strong Right Foot, Krakenskin Sandals)

Gatebreaker

Bonegrinder

3 Mancrushers

First match I played DoK in Total Conquest. He played the usual Hag Narr list. He beat me in drops and took first turn. I made the mistake of deploying too close, and he got his blob of witch aelves on my Gatebreaker turn 1. Due to the small footprint, he could only get half of the unit in combat, and the Gatebreaker tanked 20 wounds. My bonegrinder and Mancrushers ran up the board together to take the neutral objective and engage 30 more aelves, Morathi, and the blood cauldron. My Kraken-eater kicked up my objective and stayed on it the whole time, engaging the first 30 witch aelves while my Gatebreaker retreated to capture the other neutral objective. A couple bloody combat phases later, only one Mancrusher had died while Daughters was almost completely tabled. Called the match in round 3 for SoB.

Second match I played against Cities of Sigmar, a hallowheart Freeguild shooting list, Places of Arcane Power. I took first turn this round and ran my Bonegrinder into his hammer unit of Greatswords. I killed about 20, but in the subsequent turn he focused his shooting on the Bonegrinder to take him out. My Gatebreaker took one of the side objectives while my Mancrushers screened for him. Opponent used Soulscream bridge to drop 30 handgunners in shooting range of my Kraken Eater. He survived the first volley and it went to my turn. I ran him away taking the objective with him, and before long I was too far up on points for my opponent to come back.

I think Taker is the way to go if you're playing 3 mega gargants, as the Mancrusher buffs from the other tribe don't go far when you've only got one unit. The tribe turned my Kraken Eater into a capable fighter, and the 3d6 kick made playing keep-away super strong. Counting as 30 models didn't really come into play save for once in the DoK game when the witch aelves engaged my Kraken Eater. I may try a different tribe with more Mancrushers in the future. Overall they felt very solid to play, plenty durable, and monsters at the objective game.

Thanks for the reports!  Sounds like Taker Tribe is a soccer team :)  I'm gonna be making the triple-mega style army.  Without a Bonegrinder, would it make sense in a Taker Tribe to have 2 Kraken-Eaters then, or are 2 Gatebreakers viable in either that or a Breaker Tribe?  Seems like we always want at least one Kraken-Eater, except for perhaps a Stomper Tribe.  I'm making 5 ManCrushers but sounds like Stomper Tribe wants 9 of them and 1 Warstomper.

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thanks for the reports!  Sounds like Taker Tribe is a soccer team :)  I'm gonna be making the triple-mega style army.  Without a Bonegrinder, would it make sense in a Taker Tribe to have 2 Kraken-Eaters then, or are 2 Gatebreakers viable in either that or a Breaker Tribe?  Seems like we always want at least one Kraken-Eater, except for perhaps a Stomper Tribe.  I'm making 5 ManCrushers but sounds like Stomper Tribe wants 9 of them and 1 Warstomper.

Honestly I brought the Bonegrinder just as filler, a second Gatebreaker would get almost identical performance. I don't think two kraken eaters are worth it, I felt like a lot of it's power came from the bonuses to the one that wouldn't apply to a second.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Trout said:

That might have been worth watching had they taken the time to paint their models.

Why? The whole purpose of the 25 min quick battle report is to showcase strats/how the army plays. It is not to show off how well you painted your figs. 

13 hours ago, Latty said:

The damage output of the Krakenskin is pretty much the same as getting a +1 to hit from being Breaker Tribe. The difference is that this bonus is applied to all your Mega-Gargants AND Mancrushers in Breaker. Honestly the sole reason to go Taker is for the 3D6 kick, but you give up a significant/more reliable damage output. It really depends on how well you utilise the kick in your games.

1 minute ago, Dejnar said:

Fair. Fair! 😉

The FAQ/errata for GHB20 explains exactly what stuff is still matched play legal. The only mecenaries are Fyreslayers and FEC from Forbidden Power. The Fungoid isnt included in the Forbidden Power stuff so he isnt matched play legal.

5 hours ago, Kasper said:

The FAQ/errata for GHB20 explains exactly what stuff is still matched play legal. The only mecenaries are Fyreslayers and FEC from Forbidden Power. The Fungoid isnt included in the Forbidden Power stuff so he isnt matched play legal.

The Fungoid Cave-shaman was a Harbinger from Malign Portents, but since Malign Portents is not on the list of valid publications I presume Harbingers are no longer a thing.  

Edited by Aelfric
chnged Sorcery to Portents

12 hours ago, Kasper said:

Why? The whole purpose of the 25 min quick battle report is to showcase strats/how the army plays. It is not to show off how well you painted your figs.

Because it's ugly and unappealing. You can't even really tell what's what in the Lumineth army; it all looks like blobs of gray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Trout said:

Because it's ugly and unappealing. You can't even really tell what's what in the Lumineth army; it all looks like blobs of gray.

Everyone enjoys different aspects of the hobby, and sometimes you don't have the chance to get everything painted before your game, especially when we're still pretty new faction wise. 

The paint aint gonna change the tactical value of the video, also I went back and the majority of their videos have painted armies, so this is an outlier. 
You're entitled to your own opinion too of course, but what's the point of trying to hobby shame them we're all pushing plastic round the table end of the day.

Was a good report to watch, glad to see how the 1 and 9 setup worked and had wondered about lumineth matchups with them being the other new hot stuff, I haven't had a chance to face yet. 

Working on the second mega's painting now :) 

20201026_224111.jpg

• Like 2