Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

45 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

@Kasper
Off the top of my Head:

1. Can krakeneaters with the spellcasting artifact cast endless spells? Should they gain the wizard keyword?
  2. Does longshanks allow Mega Gargants to ignore the penalties for "retreating". Do they ignore the fact that they are in combat in the movement phase if the unit has a wounds characteristic of 10 or less.
  3. If run as a unit, can each mancrusher gargant trigger it's own Stomping charge, or does it only trigger once for the entire unit.
  4. can moving an objective with the Kraken Eater's 'Get Orf Me Land' ability change how much the objective is worth (for example in battle for the pass you could move your "home" objective out of your territory. Would it still be worth 4 points, or would it be worth 2)
  5. Are the artifacts exclusive to the different tribes?
  6. Can a warstomper general use Universal command abilities like 'On the double' or 'Forward to Victory'

Some of these are pretty clearly laid out in the book, but are a bit wierd and make me wonder if it was intentional.

What I've encountered:

1. Warstomper's Hurled Body ability says "during the combat phase" and as such isnt limited to when he piles in and can be used after everyone have fought. Seems unintentional considering how the other abilities function (upon piling in).
  2. The ability Longshanks says you can only move over a terrain feature if it is less than 4" tall. What if other parts of the terrain feature is 2" tall (like a fence) but theres a building which is 4,5" tall - Is it possible to move over the 2" fence without a movement penalty from "climbing"?
  3. Stomper Tribes "Getting Stuck In" says it adds 1-2 damage depending on enemy unit size. It doesnt mention melee attacks, is it intended for it to affect the Chuck Rocks shooting attack on the Mancrushers?

I mean it is worth sending in questions, but I think some of those are very easily explained.

2) - Longshanks is essentially just a "nerfed" version of fly. Fly doesnt allow you to move out of combat except if you retreat. Longshanks should be no different as a result.

3) The warscroll ability specifically says when "a model" charges, hence it works for each model that charges. Gore-Gruntas in Ironjawz have a similar ability and it works that way.

5) Just above the artefacts for each tribe it says they are exclusive. For Taker Tribes it says "Kraken-Eater Mega-Gargant only", hence a Warstomper cant gain these artefacts in any way.

6) It specially says "they cannot use any other command abilities". There are no other command abiltiies except the general ones like "On the double" so it seems like a hard no tbh. Else I think the question should include realm command abilities.

Edited by Kasper

17 minutes ago, Kasper said:

5) Just above the artefacts for each tribe it says they are exclusive. For Taker Tribes it says "Kraken-Eater Mega-Gargant only", hence a Warstomper cant gain these artefacts in any way.

I think the point of this question was whether you could take a Warstomper in Breakers Tribe (for example), and give your one artefact to the Warstomper (which would of course have to be one of the Warstomper artefacts).

The answer to the best of my knowledge is no.  The Core Rules state that you might gain access to artefacts through allegiance abilities - there's no native right to take artefacts.

The allegiance abilities for this army give you access to the Tribes (with page references), and the Tribes contain the artefacts.  So there's no actual pathway to the Warstomper artefacts (for example) when you take another Tribe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

Can a warstomper general use Universal command abilities like 'On the double' or 'Forward to Victory

This one is pretty clear, it says the general cannot use any other command abilities. The tribe abilities are upgrades of the universals anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Latty said:

This one is pretty clear, it says the general cannot use any other command abilities. The tribe abilities are upgrades of the universals anyway.

With the exception that he can't use any CAs on himself, which is a huge deal.  Can't make a run 6", can't reroll a charge.

It's very poor from a quality of life perspective, but unfortunately it's also pretty clear.

2 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

With the exception that he can't use any CAs on himself, which is a huge deal.  Can't make a run 6", can't reroll a charge.

It's very poor from a quality of life perspective, but unfortunately it's also pretty clear.

If you have a second mega gargant within 6” they can CA the general. I don’t think the 1 stomper 9 gargant build is a good build anyway as it loses too much on hero missions. It does force you to run your 2 Megas close to each other though. Also if your going for a build that buys a CP and not using the d3 command points trait you can go 3d6 charge trait which helps offset the General not ordering himself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

@Kasper
Off the top of my Head:

1. Can krakeneaters with the spellcasting artifact cast endless spells? Should they gain the wizard keyword?
  2. Does longshanks allow Mega Gargants to ignore the penalties for "retreating". Do they ignore the fact that they are in combat in the movement phase if the unit has a wounds characteristic of 10 or less.
  3. If run as a unit, can each mancrusher gargant trigger it's own Stomping charge, or does it only trigger once for the entire unit.
  4. can moving an objective with the Kraken Eater's 'Get Orf Me Land' ability change how much the objective is worth (for example in battle for the pass you could move your "home" objective out of your territory. Would it still be worth 4 points, or would it be worth 2)
  5. Are the artifacts exclusive to the different tribes?
  6. Can a warstomper general use Universal command abilities like 'On the double' or 'Forward to Victory'

Some of these are pretty clearly laid out in the book, but are a bit wierd and make me wonder if it was intentional.

MIGHTIER MAKES RIGHTIER Mega-gargants and their followers are so immense that it takes many lesser creatures to drive them from the lands they have claimed. When determining control of an objective, each friendly Mancrusher Gargant model counts as 10 models instead of 1, and each friendly MegaGargant counts as 20 models instead of 1.

Designer’s Note: If the battleplan being played does not follow the normal rules for controlling objectives, you can pick whether to use this battle trait or to follow the rules from the battleplan each time control of the objective is determined.

When using the rule "Mighter Makes Rightier" or "Get rid of Them" allegiance traits and you opt to use these rules in place of a battleplans default (As the text says you can) does this rule supersede the units inability to capture the objective. For example only Battleline units can capture objectives in the battleplan "The better part of valor." 

For matched play I'm not quite following, there's 1-3 missions that can only be captured by Battleline or Wizards, or Leaders are these counted as non normal rules, if not 1x3 Mancrusher lists going to be VERY hard to play if valor ever comes up.

Edited by Moogypies
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

If you have a second mega gargant within 6” they can CA the general. I don’t think the 1 stomper 9 gargant build is a good build anyway as it loses too much on hero missions. It does force you to run your 2 Megas close to each other though. Also if your going for a build that buys a CP and not using the d3 command points trait you can go 3d6 charge trait which helps offset the General not ordering himself. 

Yup all good points

I'm not sure you'll be able to afford to keep your two Megas bunched up once your Mancrushers start dropping, but there is at least the option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kasper said:

What I've encountered:

1. Warstomper's Hurled Body ability says "during the combat phase" and as such isnt limited to when he piles in and can be used after everyone have fought. Seems unintentional considering how the other abilities function (upon piling in).
  2. The ability Longshanks says you can only move over a terrain feature if it is less than 4" tall. What if other parts of the terrain feature is 2" tall (like a fence) but theres a building which is 4,5" tall - Is it possible to move over the 2" fence without a movement penalty from "climbing"?
  3. Stomper Tribes "Getting Stuck In" says it adds 1-2 damage depending on enemy unit size. It doesnt mention melee attacks, is it intended for it to affect the Chuck Rocks shooting attack on the Mancrushers?

I mean it is worth sending in questions, but I think some of those are very easily explained.

2) - Longshanks is essentially just a "nerfed" version of fly. Fly doesnt allow you to move out of combat except if you retreat. Longshanks should be no different as a result.

3) The warscroll ability specifically says when "a model" charges, hence it works for each model that charges. Gore-Gruntas in Ironjawz have a similar ability and it works that way.

6) It specially says "they cannot use any other command abilities". There are no other command abiltiies except the general ones like "On the double" so it seems like a hard no tbh. Else I think the question should include realm command abilities.

I realize these are pretty explicit, but having it documented clearly somewhere would be helpful. Locking the artifacts to the subfactions AND the giant type is how the rules are written, but is completely different to how every battletome previously has handled it, and is a wierd decision in the first place. FAQ isn't just about things that are wrong/unclear, but also about things that seem wierd or could cause disagreements.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

The allegiance abilities for this army give you access to the Tribes (with page references), and the Tribes contain the artefacts.  So there's no actual pathway to the Warstomper artefacts (for example) when you take another Tribe.

You can give them the Realm specific artifacts too I believe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beliman said:

You can give them the Realm specific artifacts too I believe.

Yeah for sure. 

My own comments were more in relation to taking "your own" artefacts in someone else's Tribe, which is what I think @Ganigumo was asking about (e.g. can a Warstomper in Takers Tribe use a Warstomper artefact) .  But what you're saying is correct too.

7 hours ago, Moogypies said:

MIGHTIER MAKES RIGHTIER Mega-gargants and their followers are so immense that it takes many lesser creatures to drive them from the lands they have claimed. When determining control of an objective, each friendly Mancrusher Gargant model counts as 10 models instead of 1, and each friendly MegaGargant counts as 20 models instead of 1.

Designer’s Note: If the battleplan being played does not follow the normal rules for controlling objectives, you can pick whether to use this battle trait or to follow the rules from the battleplan each time control of the objective is determined.

When using the rule "Mighter Makes Rightier" or "Get rid of Them" allegiance traits and you opt to use these rules in place of a battleplans default (As the text says you can) does this rule supersede the units inability to capture the objective. For example only Battleline units can capture objectives in the battleplan "The better part of valor." 

For matched play I'm not quite following, there's 1-3 missions that can only be captured by Battleline or Wizards, or Leaders are these counted as non normal rules, if not 1x3 Mancrusher lists going to be VERY hard to play if valor ever comes up.

This is another one I didnt understand at all. Despite there being a Designer's note, it doesnt seem very clear what the intention is (at least to me). My initial thought was also that you can ignore requirements for capturing objectives such as only battleline etc. If this is true, it would make Better Part of Valor significantly better for us. Worth writing a question about tbh. 

Edited by Kasper

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

This is another one I didnt understand at all. Despite there being a Designer's note, it doesnt seem very clear what the intention is (at least to me). My initial thought was also that you can ignore requirements for capturing objectives such as only battleline etc. If this is true, it would make Better Part of Valor significantly better for us. Worth writing a question about tbh. 

I thought this commentary was there to ensure that the trait can never be a negative for you. I don't think there are currently any battleplans like this, but if they came out with one that said something like 'If you only have a single hero model on a point you automatically gain control of it, even if the opponent has more models on the point than you.', the Mightier Makes Rightier would prevent you from making use of that without the commentary. Maybe there is some clause like that in a non matched play legal plan somewhere?

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

Submitted my questions! I urge you other guys to send in your questions so we can hopefully get some of the a little vague rules clarified. 

aosfaq@gwplc.com

I just sent one in as forgot to mention earlier. Gate breaker / breaker tribe breaking terrain does it remove all faction specific terrain rules and abilities. I believe it should but the wording could be read to only remove the rules like commanding, arcane etc. 

12 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

I just sent one in as forgot to mention earlier. Gate breaker / breaker tribe breaking terrain does it remove all faction specific terrain rules and abilities. I believe it should but the wording could be read to only remove the rules like commanding, arcane etc. 

We never really got a clarification on what exactly the keyword "Scenery, Rubble" means, right? Seems weird they introduce a keyword on the Gatebreakers warscroll, but no mention of what exactly it means anywhere in the book. Does it buff our Mancrushers' shooting attack? Does it mean we can freely walk over it with Longshanks regardless of how tall it was? Etc. 

I do believe the faction terrain rules are replaced by the Deadly scenery rule as per the Gatebreakers warscroll, but never hurts to ask.  

• Like 1

My 16 Page UNOFFICIAL Sons of Behemat supplement is now ready, key features:
Custom gargant maker including 5 unique lineages, 6 Specialties
Battleline Mega gargant option
Battalion for each tribe.
New Command Ability
3 custom scenarios

Please feel free to test, feedback, critique as needed.

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

• Subscriber

Got my pre-order late (my fault, not the retailers) and so am only just starting to build and go through the book, but one line caught my eye:

"Unfortunately for the alliance, the Chaos duardin have gargants of their own, ensorcelled and clad in blackiron plate" - Cool in their own right, but then they are defending a giant chaos dwarf oil rig type fortress :D

I've now paused my build and as someone with some FW chaos dwarves already, I'm thinking how to go about making such a cool chaos gargant...

• LOVE IT! 1

35 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I've now paused my build and as someone with some FW chaos dwarves already, I'm thinking how to go about making such a cool chaos gargant...

It will break the bank, but I could see either 40k chaos renegade knight parts or parts from a Lord of skulls making a crazy evil steampunk gargant

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Got my pre-order late (my fault, not the retailers) and so am only just starting to build and go through the book, but one line caught my eye:

"Unfortunately for the alliance, the Chaos duardin have gargants of their own, ensorcelled and clad in blackiron plate" - Cool in their own right, but then they are defending a giant chaos dwarf oil rig type fortress :D

Mate I had to re read that paragraph multiple times as my brain couldn't comprehend how epic it all sounded!! Gargants scaling a Chaos Duardin OiL Rig style Fortress which was then in turn defended by Armour Clad Mancrushers!?

• Like 1

ED0B6383-0C3D-4C41-A896-E676A4DDB681.jpeg.d626691109f0e481b1ee9d19ea0ff0e7.jpeg

working on turning an old genie conversion I did from about four years ago into a right and proper mega gargant, lorewise he’s what happens when Nagashima takes the remnant worship of a dead god and mixes it with a bisected gargant in order to steal that worship plus the energies responsible for the Sons of Behemat becoming so huge(just deciding between runnin him as a kraken eater or a gate breaker).

• Like 3

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

It will break the bank, but I could see either 40k chaos renegade knight parts or parts from a Lord of skulls making a crazy evil steampunk gargant

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Mate I had to re read that paragraph multiple times as my brain couldn't comprehend how epic it all sounded!! Gargants scaling a Chaos Duardin OiL Rig style Fortress which was then in turn defended by Armour Clad Mancrushers!?

I've got the basic body of my gargant assembled. Originally he was going to join my Ironjawz, so would only need a couple of tweaks to get him to fit. But I'll now be raiding my bits box as I'm sure I have some spare parts from the plastic knight kit (having a full 30k Knight army helps lol). 

A gargant sized http://www.sodemons.com/rhgiants2/forgeworld/fwsiegegiant/index.htm ? That would be perfect.