Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Gatebreaker was very easy to assemble, but Kraken-Eater was a pain designed by Slaanesh. By Gorkamorka, I had a few moments when I only want to cry.

Yeah that octopus arm and the sack were pretty nasty.

Not looking forward to painting it either, the Hag's sacl has given me ptsd...

I did notice while building that the hands were very similar in size/shape to dankhold troggoth hands. So there might be some conversion opportunities there

7 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

I watched this and while it is nice to see some positivity I find a lot of the discussion was overly so.

Much of the strong aspects discussed, like breaking unit coherency, only work if the opponent piles in first, and doesn't pile in with the grabs in mind. 

Some of the tactics they suggested were kicking an objective to the center, so you could group up your gargants over objectives and force the opponent to charge into multiple gargants. This seems like a decent strat but is heavily dependent on having space for multiple gargants to fit into, which often won't be the case with 5" bases.

Another was to use a kraken eater with 2 mancrushers in front, turned sideways to create a power unit thats hard to deal with. But that costs 900 points...

There were some good points about making careful charges onto the edges of units so they can't pile in much of the unit, although I worry about how much control we actually have over dictating the flow of battle that way. 10-12" move isn't slow, but it isn't particularly fast either

Yeah indeed take some with a pinch of salt. Main takeaways was it won games vs maybe not the best lists out their but solid second tier like BW, FEC and OBR even after being alpha struck and down a mega. 

The other big take away was from his description of the games they were deleting what they hit between the blows, special attacks and impact hits. I have been trying to argue for their damage output being fine (kraken without sandals withstanding) and it seemed to validate that from those games being still a small sample size. 

2 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Liking the conversion guides in the painting section in the battletome. Simplistic but effective.

Long live the cow flail!

I think the hobby section of this book is good. The lore is definitely entertaining, and I appreciate the inclusion of name generators etc.

Only thing left to do is figure out the proportion of megas to mancrushers I'd like to run and start finding models appropriately... And to wait for the FAQ. 

I can't be the only one hoping that they do errata in the ability to take Endless Spells just to fill up the odd points gap and get a little more variety into a force.

I also hope they clarify that they can (or hopefully not cannot) Longshanks over Endless Spell models.  

After watching that Facehammer video, I am very much on board with making an SoB army now.  I have the Stonehorn army, and this would play similarly, but with some variety of hobbying display.  Plenty of Stonehorn/Thundertusk bits left over for gargant decorations :)

15 minutes ago, Super_Prototype said:

Long live the cow flail!

I think the hobby section of this book is good. The lore is definitely entertaining, and I appreciate the inclusion of name generators etc.

Only thing left to do is figure out the proportion of megas to mancrushers I'd like to run and start finding models appropriately... And to wait for the FAQ. 

I can't be the only one hoping that they do errata in the ability to take Endless Spells just to fill up the odd points gap and get a little more variety into a force.

With 2 mega 3 and 3x1 Mancrusher you end up 1980 - 2000 and even in some other configurations with a larger spare amount a CP or playing under for a triumph is probably better. A single caster with no plus isn’t really worth taking an endless spell with most of the time. If the lantern allows you to dispel endless spells that would be its best niche really (and potentially quite helpful). 

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I did notice while building that the hands were very similar in size/shape to dankhold troggoth hands. So there might be some conversion opportunities there

Do you mean the Gargants are similar to a Danks hands in size!!?? That's awesome if so! 

Anyway to get a pic of those hands side by side?

No description available.

All the Mega's made, custom loadouts just so I can swap heads and run them as anything ^^' All the random bits I left off to paint seperately and pop on at the end, I can't even imagine doing all the nets between the flesh 😛 

Edited by Moogypies
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Moogypies said:

Here you go.

As I posted last page, great unclean one hands and weapons are perfect scale too. 

megahands.png

Oh snap....

Now comes the real question,  anyone willing to part with any spare hand bits, hit me up.  I know those kits are not cheap so be glad to throw some $$ your way to help eliviate that mega cost. 

I'm working on a heavy Dank list and would absolutely love some more variation on those models. 

Edited by Vasshpit

1 minute ago, Vasshpit said:

Oh snap....

Now comes the real question,  anyone willing to part with any spare hand bits, hit me up.  I know those kits are not cheap so be glad to throw some $$ your way to help eliviate that mega cost. 

I'm working on a heavy Dank list and would absolutely love some more variation on those models. 

I think the sheer size of the things the megas hands hold would be an issue for plopping them onto the Troggoths. The club to the Warstompas hand is as tall as my Dankhold Troggoth ^^' 

35 minutes ago, Moogypies said:

I think the sheer size of the things the megas hands hold would be an issue for plopping them onto the Troggoths. The club to the Warstompas hand is as tall as my Dankhold Troggoth ^^' 

You can use the Kraken-eater's net to kitbash a Troggoth Hag. My idea would be based on a Dankhold or Fomoroid Crusher (she would be a petite girl compared to the resin model, more like the total war version in size). Have her ride on a palanquin held up by other troggoths, or on a large chariot pulled by Squigs to get the size right.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer

I think the detractors of this army are truly misunderstanding what this army is and what it can and will be. Like many other misunderstood armies, people are expecting this army to be a game changer, it is not. Much like Disciples of Tzeentch, people automatically thought that it was going to be a magic heavy army when in fact, the meta was shooting. Sons of Behemat create the same fool's gold effect. A player might be tempted to play the “camp on the objectives” game with the giant’s high wounds but this is a grave mistake. This is an army that should always be charging. The meta is the charge phase. Charging and attacking. They are not designed to be a “stand on and camp” army. Think logically about it. The Mega’s are just a 35 man unit with 4+ armor and limited attacks when you actually erase the model's stature and truly read the warscroll. Hardly what I would call a game changer, but rather just a larger than average horde unit by only 5 wounds. As for the individual Mega Gargant types, just understand that while the Krakeneater and Gatebreaker have tactical options, do not solely rely on them to be the game changer abilities you may think they are. Now, get out there and remember your ABC’s..........Always Be Charging!

• Thanks 1

I won my first game versus Ossiarch. I changed my mind, if you play trying to score and avoid been damage you are goning to win.

The battleplan was Focal Points, a battleplane very favourable to us.

I played Breaker Tribe with the +1 to hit Hero and Wizard. Idiots with flags is a trap, your opponent is going to remove the commands first so your skill is useless. It is better to chunk small heroes.

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I won my first game versus Ossiarch. I changed my mind, if you play trying to score and avoid been damage you are goning to win.

I played Breaker Tribe with the +1 to hit Hero and Wizard. Idiots with flags is a trap, your opponent is going to remove the commands first so your skill is useless. It is better to chunk small heroes.

The Ossiarch player was removing their command models?

3 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

The Ossiarch player was removing their command models?

No, it happened when I played versus Tzeentch so before this game I changed the skill to hit heroes and wizards.

This is my forth game, and the first I felt how this army must play. The army have potential, it isn't broken but with the correct battleplan you could win and be very competitive. I'm very happy now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

So you avoid the close combat and sat on objectives or you searched for close combat? I dont understood your meaning.

4 minutes ago, Drazhoath said:

So you avoid the close combat and sat on objectives or you searched for close combat? I dont understood your meaning.

Avoid close combat, I tried to fight in small areas with my two Mega-Gargants at the same time. Ossiarch is a very resilient army to try to win in close combat, but he have a lot of problems to put 30 or 40 bodies in an objective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

I think the detractors of this army are truly misunderstanding what this army is and what it can and will be. Like many other misunderstood armies, people are expecting this army to be a game changer, it is not. Much like Disciples of Tzeentch, people automatically thought that it was going to be a magic heavy army when in fact, the meta was shooting. Sons of Behemat create the same fool's gold effect. A player might be tempted to play the “camp on the objectives” game with the giant’s high wounds but this is a grave mistake. This is an army that should always be charging. The meta is the charge phase. Charging and attacking. They are not designed to be a “stand on and camp” army. Think logically about it. The Mega’s are just a 35 man unit with 4+ armor and limited attacks when you actually erase the model's stature and truly read the warscroll. Hardly what I would call a game changer, but rather just a larger than average horde unit by only 5 wounds. As for the individual Mega Gargant types, just understand that while the Krakeneater and Gatebreaker have tactical options, do not solely rely on them to be the game changer abilities you may think they are. Now, get out there and remember your ABC’s..........Always Be Charging!

it feels like against a good list and opponent it would be very hard to dictate charges in our favor. 12" move isn't fast, but its not slow either, and when facing a properly placed screen it feels like there is no good answer, we either back off, stay put, or charge the screen and all 3 are losing propositions.

What I'm getting at is what is our answer to 10 skinks sitting in front of a unit of salamanders (or some similar situation with a different faction)

Just now, Ganigumo said:

it feels like against a good list and opponent it would be very hard to dictate charges in our favor. 12" move isn't fast, but its not slow either, and when facing a properly placed screen it feels like there is no good answer, we either back off, stay put, or charge the screen and all 3 are losing propositions.

What I'm getting at is what is our answer to 10 skinks sitting in front of a unit of salamanders (or some similar situation with a different faction)

The answer is a double charge with a mega and 3 mancrushers. The impact hits alone will probably kill the stinkers and then you pile in for the Smackdown, lol. 

• Like 1

Charging is not always the answer. If I charged the Mortek Guard in the first turn is very possible I don't have enough bodies after three turns of combat and I would lose the game.

Charge is powerful but only versus the enemies you are going to win something if you charge.

Behemat was cunning, he wasn't an orruk, makes your father's memory proud.