Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

2 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

if orks and ogors can make stuff then giants can too, these aren’t as stupid a creature as the aleguzzlers gives off (he is more of a drunken oaf of the giant race, even their original lore stated they are the ancestors of a glorious race of titans. The titans had weapons that the ogors stole, which is why the cannons they use on those chariots are so ornately decorated when compared to their other weapons)

giants are not trolls, and if GW treats the new giants as such I will be massively disappointed 

Orcs don't have any terrain.  Orruk Warclans does not have a terrain piece for Bonesplitterz, Ironjawz, or Big Waaagh.  The Ogors terrain is a fun model (nice conversion potential) but pretty tacked on to that army as it is just a cook-pot next to a canopy.

I'm sure that Gargants could make something if they wanted to.  I don't think they are too dumb to be able to make basic stuff.  However, they don't appear to be civilized to the point where they have any industry.  And if you look at all of the new models they retain the theme that the Gargants weapons & clothing are all cobbled together from looted scraps.  These guys are big and honestly they don't appear to have any real need for things like forged weapons & armor - or even decent clothing.  It seems to me that they probably get along just fine with a cobbled together stick to smash stuff.

We might be surprised- we have seen GW pull some really surprising things out of their hat over the last month.

Lumineth had several reveals with crazy ordinary stuff such as actual regular horses and updated-but-crazy-AOS Aelves...then GW dropped Goat Mountains and Buffalo Lodge Hat Hammerers.

For DoK we knew that an Underworld Warband was in the pipeline...but got blindsided by a Warcry warband with quite different models.

So I don't think we can rule out another kit for Sons just yet.  I would love to see a King (or Queen) kit that can make a Hero or Shaman, for example.

48 minutes ago, Souleater said:

We might be surprised- we have seen GW pull some really surprising things out of their hat over the last month.

Lumineth had several reveals with crazy ordinary stuff such as actual regular horses and updated-but-crazy-AOS Aelves...then GW dropped Goat Mountains and Buffalo Lodge Hat Hammerers.

For DoK we knew that an Underworld Warband was in the pipeline...but got blindsided by a Warcry warband with quite different models.

So I don't think we can rule out another kit for Sons just yet.  I would love to see a King (or Queen) kit that can make a Hero or Shaman, for example.

Yeah, the horses were legitimately the only thing I was surprised by in the Lumineth reveal. The cow stuff I had expected as big unusual hing, but those were a total surprise. I could see some cool stuff coming but I dunno, I feel like the terrain is gonna receive the same reaction as the cow mountains. 

Edit: Looking at the initial image, I think that we may see an updated ale guzzler kit to make a little bit more diverse.

Edited by Sttufe

3 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

but alternatively I think instead we could counter endless spells by eating them instead of joining the fun. Could be an artifact, trait, or just one of the big giants abilities, simple, powerful, and thematic 

With the Lord of Change getting Spell Eater in the recent Tzeentch Tome we know this ability is possible but GW may be reluctant to repeat so quickly.  (Especially as they are almost certain to get some version of Mawtribes’ multiple model count for objectives...). But maybe enabling them to “extinguish” Endless Spells by clapping them between their hands (maybe on a 4+). Or maybe “blowing them out” like a candle with a huge (stinky) breath.  That could be enough to differentiate them from LoC?

10 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Is this a troll?  "Seldom" is a synonym of "rarely".

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/seldom

Not a troll, I learned something new today, do not worry. I was unaware of the fact the seldom can be used as an adverb without using the customary -ly, however that is in fact correct. Sorry bout that, figured it was gone already and nobody would notice.

It is seldom used in that particular sentence structure, appearing more often near the beginning of the sentence.

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 1

Now that we've seen the new figures I'm hyped. I know a lot of people are probably disappointed by the fact that it's a single kit, or the adherence to the visual design cues of the old WHFB giant/aleguzzler, but what we've got is exactly to my taste. Gargants being allies in all GAs is just icing.

Me and my best bud have destruction armies and we're planning to collaborate on a shared Gargants army either to augment what we already have or to play solo. All that's left is to see how the rules fall!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dankboss said:

Apparently this is a graphic taken from the livestream which confirms the size. I initially heard they were on 130mm bases but now i think it's 160mm.

vbePyBt.jpg

I don't think that picture is correct, someone on FB or Reddit posted a picture of the Plague Furnace and Archaon together and the Furnace is no where that big. Also if you use a colored version of this image you will see the Stormcast shield on the Mega-gargant is way out of proportion. When they said it can "stares at Archaon and his mount", I think it meant tall enough to stare at him, and they didn't mentioned anything about eyes-to-eyes. Using the outline on WarCom's Preview 3 and scaling with bits on their armor (I would post a picture but I don't know how to...), it is safe to say they will be on 130mm bases and be at eye level with Dorghar's Nurgle head.

5 hours ago, Dankboss said:

I'm tempted to put one in my Troll army, but I feel like that's putting a hat on a hat. I'd more likely convert one into an Imperial Giant for my Hammerhal army.

First, what is wrong with putting a hat on a hat?  I think hats should be able to wear their own hats.

I too have been considering putting one into my Troll army.  I have been considering converting 1-2 Bonegrinders for a Gloomspite Troggoth army.  I have an unfinished Mountain King model and an unopened Winter King model from my old Trollblood army for Hordes that I will likely not ever play again.  But I really like those models and I want to repurpose them.  I thought they would make for cool massive trolls and I could use the Bonegrinder warscroll for them.

I put that project on hold a while ago when the rumors of an all giant force initially came out.  Now I am thinking that I will probably go ahead with those projects after the book comes out and I can figure out what gargant ally/mercenary would be the most fun to use in a Troggoth force.

53 minutes ago, RonnPhan said:

Here are two pics someone posted on the SoB FB group. They are not 100% accurate but they should be roughly the Warstomper on 160mm and 130mm bases.

I think the bottom picture is the closest one.  That seems to line up the most with the original silhouette that GW posted of the Mega-gargant and aleguzzler side by side.  I'm inclined to agree with @RonnPhan that the picture with the height values is wrong.  That picture puts the mega-gargant at 8" - which is seriously huge.  The standard aleguzzler is 110mm or 4.3" tall.  Given the side by side that GW provided I am guessing that the mega-gargant will be somewhere between 6.5" - 7.5" tall - which is still absolutely massive.

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I think the bottom picture is the closest one.  That seems to line up the most with the original silhouette that GW posted of the Mega-gargant and aleguzzler side by side.  I'm inclined to agree with @RonnPhan that the picture with the height values is wrong.  That picture puts the mega-gargant at 8" - which is seriously huge.  The standard aleguzzler is 110mm or 4.3" tall.  Given the side by side that GW provided I am guessing that the mega-gargant will be somewhere between 6.5" - 7.5" tall - which is still absolutely massive.

I agree on the bottom picture being the correct one. Though if a King Brodd kit is released I could see it being as large as the top one.

38 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

It did indeed but I think that Dorghor counts as a mount.

Well, technically, he is the biggest MONSTER, just, ya know, not the biggest monster. If this is true I will be even more hopeful for King Brodd to come, as that would be quite nice.

The best image I've seen was this one by @minimute on Insta

He's put a lot of work into scaling these from the one official image.  The grey shadow is what it would look like if the OBR basing piece was / is to scale, which is pretty close.

I'm expecting it to come in that window between the colour and grey versions.

IMG-20200423-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

The best image I've seen was this one by @minimute on Insta

He's put a lot of work into scaling these from the one official image.  The grey shadow is what it would look like if the OBR basing piece was / is to scale, which is pretty close.

I'm expecting it to come in that window between the colour and grey versions.

IMG-20200423-WA0002.jpg

Both are truly epic regardless, but I'd love it to be grey just to be more...epiceeer?!

• Like 1

Both are massive and I would be happy with either of them.  I'd actually hope he is the smaller version as that is closer to the scale of multiple 3rd party models.  I'd like to use other models in order to convert some alternates of the various types.  A bunch of the 3rd party models have different body poses and I am thinking about using them as the core and then layer parts from this giant kit to make them all visually match more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnPhan said:

I have seen interesting conversions for the Aleguzzler using Bloodthirster body as a buff although slightly shorter gargant and another using the Ghorgon's body as a slightly taller gargant. Does anyone else have anything like that in mind?

I am starting to explore various models for something like that.  Right now I am considering doing something similar with models such as the Ultraforge & Mantic giants as alternate torsos for the Mega-Gargants.  I’ll most likely do something like that as well for more Aleguzzler also.

I’ll probably buy a few of those giant models that I have wanted an excuse to get for a while now.  But I won’t start these projects until I can look at the book and figure out how many of the different gargants I would be interested in using.  I will also buy at least one kit of each type of gargant to assemble normally then extras for conversions and parts.  My goal is fun modeling projects and visual variety - not cost savings.

Today's community article that showcases Rich Dando's gargant force was excellent.  There are so many good, and relatively simple, gargant conversions that it really shows how creative you can get with a simple kit.  I'll be stealing a lot of ideas from there.  The Bonegrinder conversions are good also.

If you can do that much with the Aleguzzler kit and a handful of simple bits then imagine what can be done with the mega-gargant kit.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Thanks 1