Fyreslayer Noob questions :)

SoSoCho

Hello,

So I am gonna start playing fyreslayers. However i am a bit confused regarding the Hermdar lodge.

• Command Trait: -1 wound rolls for attack against general and units wholly within 12” Does this mean that the enemy get +1 to their wound rolls ?  (So it gets harder for then to wound me ?).
  • Also the: "one friendly VKB or HGB unit wholly within 12” of Hermdar hero, the unit fights at start of the combat phase before other players". Can I only use this in my own combat phase or also use it before the enemy combat phase (enemy turn).

Also is there anyway to buff my units save ? Vulkites has 5+ save :s 

hope you can help me :) ty

5 hours ago, SoSoCho said:

Hello,

So I am gonna start playing fyreslayers. However i am a bit confused regarding the Hermdar lodge.

• Command Trait: -1 wound rolls for attack against general and units wholly within 12” Does this mean that the enemy get +1 to their wound rolls ?  (So it gets harder for then to wound me ?).
  • Also the: "one friendly VKB or HGB unit wholly within 12” of Hermdar hero, the unit fights at start of the combat phase before other players". Can I only use this in my own combat phase or also use it before the enemy combat phase (enemy turn).

Also is there anyway to buff my units save ? Vulkites has 5+ save :s 

hope you can help me :) ty

Hi, 

1) They get -1 to their wound roll, not their „to-wound characteristic“. 

eg he needs a 3+ and rolls a 3. 

It gets modified by -1 so its a 2 instead and fails to wound. 

2) Yes, you can activate that ability at the beginning of your own combat phase as well. Pretty powerful with Hearthguard Berzerkers in a Leaders of the Lodge battalion as it pretty much allows you to pick them twice in a row (at the beginning, then as your first activation in your combat phase) 

3) There are plenty of ways to improve the save rolls on your units. When reading through the book you will eventually find them, I‘m sure 😉

gl and have fun with the army 🙂 

• Like 1

Oki ty :) but why the - 1 to their roll ? Is that because it helps with re-rolls? If the enemy can reroll failed wound rolls and he needs a 3 and rolls a 3 then it did not fail. But because I get the -1 then ot fails anyway but the enemy cant reroll ?

Best regards

3 hours ago, SoSoCho said:

Or wait.

So that is actually a bad thing for me ? If he rolls 3 and needs 2+ (due to  -1 ) then he does not fail ? I am not sure I understand hehe

You have to understand the difference between a Characteristic and a Roll. Characteristics are values printed on the warscrolls of units and tell you about the properties of the unit (Movement, Wounds, Save, Bravery) and their weapons (Range, Attacks, To Hit, To Wound, Rend, Damage). With the words of the Core Rules:

"Warscrolls include a set of characteristics that are referred to in the core game rules and which determine how the model can be used in the game. For example, a model’s Save characteristic determines what you must roll in order to make a save roll, a weapon’s Attacks characteristic determines how many hit rolls are made for it, and so on."

(https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, page 13)

Roll on the other hand is the result of the physical act of rolling a die/rolling dice. Imagine rolling a die to hit with a weapon of a model of yours. The die stops moving and shows the 3 (or three dots or whatever symbols the die uses) on the top side. We call this a roll of a 3. At this point we would normally compare this roll (3) with the To-Hit-characteristic of the weapon you attacked with. If the roll is equal or higher than the characteristic, the roll is successful and (in our example) scores a hit. 

Effects like the Hermdar command trait that modify rolls are applied between the steps "rolling die/dice" and "comparing the roll to the characteristic". The command trait in questions lowers the To-Wound-rolls of enemy models against certain models of yours by 1. Since their To-Wound-rolls have to be equal or higher than their To-Wound-characteristic, having the result of their rolls lowered is a bad thing for them. Here is a practical example:

An enemy model´s weapon has a To-Wound-characteristic of 3+ (we assume they allready hit your unit with a single attack). Your opponent rolls a die to check wether they wound your unit or not. Your opponent rolls a 3. Normally, this would be enough to succeed (a roll of 3 is equal or higher than the To-Wound-characteristic of 3+), but your unit is wholly within 12" of your Hermdar general. Therefore, you have to substract 1 from the To-Wound-roll of your opponents model. Their roll of a 3 is changed into a roll of a 2. This final result is no longer equal or higher than their To-Wound-characteristic of 3+ and the attack fails

(see https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, p.7 under MAKING ATTACKS)

I hope this explanation proves to be helpful to you. If you have any other questions (I assume you are new to AoS and still learning), feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions, especially not about convoluted GW rules.

Edited by Isotop
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, SoSoCho said:

Or wait.

So that is actually a bad thing for me ? If he rolls 3 and needs 2+ (due to  -1 ) then he does not fail ? I am not sure I understand hehe

In addition to the excellent answer above. What it doesn’t mention is that rerolls happen before modifiers. So in you example;

On 1/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, SoSoCho said:

Oki ty :) but why the - 1 to their roll ? Is that because it helps with re-rolls? If the enemy can reroll failed wound rolls and he needs a 3 and rolls a 3 then it did not fail. But because I get the -1 then ot fails anyway but the enemy cant reroll ?

Best regards

the opponent needs a 3+ to hit you and can reroll misses. 
He rolls 2 dice. It’s a 2 and a 3. 
he first does The rerolls. The 2 is a miss and is rerolled and it becomes a 6. but the 3 isn’t a miss, so no reroll 

now you apply modifiers. His 6 becomes a 5. His 3 becomes a 2. So he only hits once. 

Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...