Where to go with my stormcast I have

bigpaul0909

Hey guys, i recently made the choice to play stormcast after purchasing a battletomb and giving it a read through, i have never played a full game of AOS but have some general ideas from playing stormstrike box with a friend and reading the rule book/watching some battle reports.  My question is i bought a few troops from ebay just to beef up my numbers and am looking to purchase more, but not knowing where to go.  I like melee heavy armys, i like having tanky tougher units that just want to get in a fight and go down swinging, not a huge shooting fan but im open to suggestions.  Anyway this is what i have and wondering what i should add next.

Starter box/ebay

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth

Lord-Relictor

8 Retributors all hammers no startsoul maces

18 Libs-13 hammer/shield, 5 double hammers

6 Prosecutors double hammers

3 Seq 2 hammer/shield, 1 grandhammer

3 castigators 

Where could i go from here to actually have a playable army? add heros? i hear evocators are good right now? add more of somthing i have to make full units? thanks guys for helping out the noob!

So you said you don't care for shooting but I'm gonna suggest some anyways cuz it's one of SCE's big strengths atm. Also in my experience stormcasts are fragile for their points, basically across the board. Rend and mortal wounds guts your durability and most armies have plenty of both. Tankiest things I've seen used are the knight-questor (memey save reroll) and the stardrake, nearly everything else will die if somebody tries to kill it. So:

Evocators hit like a truck in a big blob and don't need too much support (10 is better than 5).

Evocators on cats hit like a truck and with a hereldor have a ridiculous engagement range - although shine best when coupled with a lord arcanum on cat to lead 'em, so a bit more of an investment to get the whole thing online (6 kitties 1 lord arc on kitty + knight hereldor)

Vanguard-raptors with Longstrikes are always a good addition. (9 longstrikes + 2 units of aetherwings to block - need to use anvilhammer stormhost for the CA) 

Celestar Ballist-blob (3-4 of the suckers plus a lord ordinator for the to hit bonus)

Never tried it myself but a lot of people here like stardrakes as well, there's a whole thread devoted to listbuilding around them.

Edited by NauticalSoup
spellin'

Absolutely if you want everything (except the wizard) in it, otherwise not. I think the savings are solid but if you don't plan on using the sequitors it kinda guts the value. I got the box myself because I love the look of sacrosanct bois but even so I've never had cause to touch the included wizard in an actual game, except as a pretty neat-looking proxy.

Keep in mind that to use Sequitors as battleline you need a Lord Arcanum as your general.

A Soulstorm Stormcast half could also be useful for Seqs since you have the easy-to-build ones but the numbers of everything in that box are... weird. Not enough Evocators to deploy a full unit and they only way to to them up is to buy another soulstorm half or get the snap-together Evocators. I started my stormcast army with two Soulstorm boxes but it's pretty awkward.

Edit: Keep in mind as well that battleforce was a Christmas deal so if your local gamestore doesn't have one on the shelf still you might not be able to find one.

Edited by NauticalSoup

So do i need the lord arcanum on glyph charger or can one of these evos on kitties in this box be used as the lord arcanum on kitties? or would i be better off getting the one of glyph and then using all 6 evos on kitties? i dont see them sell lord arcanum on a kitty seperatly even on the gw site?

18 minutes ago, bigpaul0909 said:

i dont see them sell lord arcanum on a kitty seperatly even on the gw site?

Astreia Solbright is the kit or you can basically use her as LAoCD
BUT you can try find an additional EvoKitty Set on ebay for cheaper and build an arcanum on kitty. ( The kit supports that )

So from what im grasping are the units i currently have from the start box not even useful for a semi competive army? seems like i shouldnt have even wasted with it and just bought the battleforce and maybe half a soul wars and be done? are Rets, Pros. vandus, none of them even worth using?

Short answer, sadly, is no.

The Lord Relictor is useful, as are the Liberators to tick the battleline box. Prosecutors might be a handy tool to fill in those last few points, but SCE rarely have points left and even so you'd want the ones with javelins. Vandus (and LCoD for that matter) is overprized as hell for his body and locks you in Hammers of Sigmar. Retributors are good if they get to swing, but Evocators are just plain better, hit harder and have the same wounds and save, even better against shooting.

Edited by Lucur

So if i were to bring the the Vandus i have, and wanted to use him as LORD-CELESTANT ON DRACOTH does anything think people would care? since he seems much for viable and is essentially the same thing?i just wouldn't have the shield ?  I could just seeing him maybe be more viable near a unit of evocators or something and using the hammer as a stand in thunderaxe for the +1 hit/sce near him?

Edited by bigpaul0909

6 hours ago, bigpaul0909 said:

So if i were to bring the the Vandus i have, and wanted to use him as LORD-CELESTANT ON DRACOTH does anything think people would care? since he seems much for viable and is essentially the same thing?i just wouldn't have the shield ?  I could just seeing him maybe be more viable near a unit of evocators or something and using the hammer as a stand in thunderaxe for the +1 hit/sce near him?

If you ask around you can probably find a spare shield somewhere eventually, and just glue (or magnetize, as I plan) it to the hand holding the reins. Alternately just glue/magnetize it to the dracoth so it looks as if it’s just a piece of war gear strapped to his mount.

*The dracothian guard kit comes with 3 shields, if you know a player who has built their two guard, they should have a spare shield kicking about. Alternately if you plan on buying a box, use the spare sheild.

Edited by Alladinthepaladin
  • Like 1

similiar position here but different starting point, if you dont mind me asking.

Is a Battleforce box a good expansion on the Tempest of souls box if yo want to go for a sequitor heavy army ?

Thinking in terms of building up for competetive play and the fact that you would come out with even units.

Whats the thought on stormhosts for a heavy melee evo/evo kitty/seq army? i was thinking maybe Celestial Vindicators for the +1attack cp ability? and then the passive 1 reroll for wound if they charged which i assume most of my units will to get across the board.  Ive still yet to play a game so im trying to understand most things before i go into my first friendly game, maybe there is a clear choice for stormhost in a melee heavy army if SCE that im missing?

2 minutes ago, bigpaul0909 said:

Whats the thought on stormhosts for a heavy melee evo/evo kitty/seq army? i was thinking maybe Celestial Vindicators for the +1attack cp ability? and then the passive 1 reroll for wound if they charged which i assume most of my units will to get across the board.  Ive still yet to play a game so im trying to understand most things before i go into my first friendly game, maybe there is a clear choice for stormhost in a melee heavy army if SCE that im missing?

or would you use somthing like this stromcast trait Staunch Defender: Your general and every STORMCAST ETERNALS unit wholly within 9" add 1 to saves if they have not charged this turn(i would assume this means i dont get to choose a stormhost and must use this trait?

• 2 weeks later...