How to expand from Tempest of Souls?

Gunvor

Hello everyone,

I am a new player to AoS, however i used to collect and play Warhammer fantasy 4th,5th and 6th edition back in the day, playing Undead and Vampire counts.

I recently picked up a Tempest of souls + paints box mainly because i felt like just paint and collect . Its something i really enjoyed as a kid.

I wanted to introduce my nephew to the game since he recently has shown interest for roleplaying games like D&D and miniature games like Warhammer.

My question is:

1. Is there a way i can expand into a 1000/2000 points army with the units i got from the ToS box?

If yes, what would you recommend me getting ? both on the Nighthaunt and Stormcast side.

2. If i would like to start playing FEC, What would you recommend buying to get a 1000 points army? 

Thank you for taking your time to read and answer my post.

Kind regards

Luke

6 hours ago, Gunvor said:

If i would like to start playing FEC, What would you recommend buying to get a 1000 points army? 

Two start collecting boxes... done 

One box comes with 690 points, the second gives you a bunch of try out options for 750-1k games. Then you can expand in whatever direction.

I would also recommend getting a varghulf ...

I rarely do this, but now I must recommend Stormcast over Nighthaunt for your nephew.

Not because they are prettier or better, but because they are a lot sturdier.

43 minutes ago, Honk said:

One box comes with 690 points, the second gives you a bunch of try out options for 750-1k games. Then you can expand in whatever direction.

Count me jealous, the KO start collecting gets to 470, the Greywater Fastness one no more than 400 (but 370 is also a possibility), and Anvilgard one is 370 or 390

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Count me jealous

The SC-Box is one of the best...BUT

we have to built all our small heroes (3 in total 😢) from the normal unit sprues, which will utterly&finslly ****** up your model count.

want a crypt ghast courtier?! Now you’re stuck with 9 random leftover ghouls.

want an infernal? Here, have two flayers with him...

not to mention, that we only have 3 „basic“ units to choose from. But we are frothing mad delusional crazies, the proxxy and  conversion  options are pretty big, if your skill level and spare time is up to the task... (still wanting to convert that alpha-prime to an archregent)

2 hours ago, Honk said:

The SC-Box is one of the best...BUT

we have to built all our small heroes (3 in total 😢) from the normal unit sprues, which will utterly&finslly ****** up your model count.

want a crypt ghast courtier?! Now you’re stuck with 9 random leftover ghouls.

want an infernal? Here, have two flayers with him...

not to mention, that we only have 3 „basic“ units to choose from. But we are frothing mad delusional crazies, the proxxy and  conversion  options are pretty big, if your skill level and spare time is up to the task... (still wanting to convert that alpha-prime to an archregent)

That is a bit inconvenient. Warscroll wise, Cities has a metric ton of choices. Many of these choices ask for models that I do not have, so there's a lot of converting going on. Luckily, that's my favourite part of the hobby.

I actually really like having a few extra models. It allows me to take a few risks.

As for heroes, does the Underworld warband help you make heroes with a bit less extra material?

Edited by zilberfrid

11 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

As for heroes, does the Underworld warband help you make heroes with a bit less extra material?

Only for the cheapest to buy troops.

It gets bearable as FEC only if you are a madman and plan to collect full megabattalion (Royal Court) than you need exactly 3 big courtiers - which is 1 full box. But when you just start this army it really sucks

32 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Strictly speaking no, if you follow the GW-code to the letter... but those should be only the last 1%, which you wouldn’t want to play anyway. Most people into the hobby would applaud a nice conversion, and also following the fluff of FEC of contagious mindinfiltrating deliusion some poor dude/dudess in some hybrid state should be totally cool.

as I said (job, wife, other occupations, chaosdwarves army) have prevented a nice Celestant-Prime conversion into Archregent.

my ghouls proxy as zombies in my LoN lists and nobody in my group had real trouble with it. Mockery yes, but as long as the base size is ~correct and you’re not trying to get an unfair advantage...

also, if you convert your heroes from other models, they also stick out more than f.e. Flayer -> Flayer Champ -> Infernal with only Minor details in difference.

Edited by Honk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Honk said:

Strictly speaking no, if you follow the GW-code to the letter... but those should be only the last 1%, which you wouldn’t want to play anyway. Most people into the hobby would applaud a nice conversion, and also following the fluff of FEC of contagious mindinfiltrating deliusion some poor dude/dudess in some hybrid state should be totally cool.

as I said (job, wife, other occupations, chaosdwarves army) have prevented a nice Celestant-Prime conversion into Archregent.

my ghouls proxy as zombies in my LoN lists and nobody in my group had real trouble with it. Mockery yes, but as long as the base size is ~correct and you’re not trying to get an unfair advantage...

also, if you convert your heroes from other models, they also stick out more than f.e. Flayer -> Flayer Champ -> Infernal with only Minor details in difference.

Yeah, I don't really play, but if someone is bothered that the lady wielding two pistols among men wielding two pistols did not start her life as a pistoleer, they are probably not fun to play against anyway.

I do need to get "boosters" if I ever want to play my Halfling Hallowheart (converted mainly from Chaos Familiars at the moment) army though, as line of sight would be drastically different between a model with the eyes at 18 mm and the eyes at 30 mm.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I rarely do this, but now I must recommend Stormcast over Nighthaunt for your nephew.

Not because they are prettier or better, but because they are a lot sturdier.

Count me jealous, the KO start collecting gets to 470, the Greywater Fastness one no more than 400 (but 370 is also a possibility), and Anvilgard one is 370 or 390

Thank you for your answer. Forgive me but what does the KO Abbreviation stand for?

So in summary, what would you recommend me to purchase in order to get a complete SC force considering what I already have?

4 hours ago, Honk said:

Thank you honk for your answer. That seems pretty straight forward and cheap to get started with FEC . 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gunvor said:

Thank you for your answer. Forgive me but what does the KO Abbreviation stand for?

So in summary, what would you recommend me to purchase in order to get a complete SC force considering what I already have?

KO means Kharadron Overlords. Steampunk Dwarves.

You seem to like Flesh Eater's Court, so I suggest you lisren to the guy that knows the army.

Though you now have a start for Stormcast and Nighthaunt, choosing your army is the first step in a significant time and money sink.

You'll be playing the army, so for a good advice, I'd need to know what type of gameplay and level of competetiveness you like. You'll be looking at them even more (painting, just having them in your house, as well as playing), so I would need to know what aesthetics you like as well.

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

KO means Kharadron Overlords. Steampunk Dwarves.

You seem to like Flesh Eater's Court, so I suggest you lisren to the guy that knows the army.

Though you now have a start for Stormcast and Nighthaunt, choosing your army is the first step in a significant time and money sink.

You'll be playing the army, so for a good advice, I'd need to know what type of gameplay and level of competetiveness you like. You'll be looking at them even more (painting, just having them in your house, as well as playing), so I would need to know what aesthetics you like as well.

Thank you for the clarification ,

Ghouls are something i never used in my army lists playing WFB , looks cool they got something going on their own now.
But that being said there are so many cool and many detailed models now what i can see among the plethora of miniature choices between the factions and races.

Honestly there are many more races besides from those within death and order which looks cool and would be fun to collect.
But atm iam satisfied with expanding SC and NH for the time being, they have some cool looking models which i would like to collect, paint and play with.

So Game wise raising the dead back into your ranks is something that really sparked my strategic mind when i used to play and the gimmicks around the undead which seem to be somewhat same thing in AoS . And in some way its applicable for other non death races to i presume?(calling in reinforcements in one way or another.)

So to the point, i am looking at learning the game through basic playing in smaller numbers to get an i idea and gradually grow the sizes of my army and playing larger battles.

With that being said, i would like to get to know the competetive aspect of it too. So is it possible to play it casually for the time being but learning the competetive aspect while at it?

As for WFB there were units etc which became obsolete or just not worth spending points on, i have understood its the same case in AoS when it comes to building something for competetive play and meta?

And money isn't an issue so feel free to make as wild suggestions as you like, but within the competetive framework to start with.

I dont know how far off AoS 3.0 is but i would like to possibly invest in the soul wars too, to get the rulebook and a good amount of models. Although i have no idea if you get the correct models which are needed for competetive play on either side which is offered in the package.

Any purchase tip and popular army compositions are most welcome.

I hope the not to long answer gave you an idea, but if there are any further specifics you would like to know around the aesthetics please let me know. 

Edited by Gunvor

7 hours ago, Gunvor said:

And in some way its applicable for other non death races to i presume?

Yes, many factions have some kind of summoning... death with regeneration of lost models, others like the Chaos bunch of sylvaneth can summon fresh units to the field one way or another

So is it possible to play it casually for the time being but learning the competetive aspect while at it?

sure you can crank it up slowly but surely... going full waac is of course very dependent on the current meta and the power of your faction. NH is most powerfully played in a legion of Nagash list 😂🥳

Any purchase tip and popular army compositions

dedicated NH threat and search the official tournament lists. But before that, just grab the Box start getting a feel for it and progress slowly from there.

nobody can say what AoS 3.0 brings, my LoN were pretty crazy when they started, same with FEC starting AoS 2.0... got covered in salt

but slaanesh, bonereapers and kharadron look so strong, usually new is better.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, Honk said:

dedicated NH threat and search the official tournament lists. But before that, just grab the Box start getting a feel for it and progress slowly from there.

Which box specifically do you mean? 😃

Also i found this list, is that a nighthaunt specific army or LoN?

5 hours ago, Gunvor said:

Which box specifically do you mean? 😃

Also i found this list, is that a nighthaunt specific army or LoN?

I meant the ?Soul Wars? Box, which you wanted to buy anyway. I think just go for it, with a small batch and try it out. No need to invest heavily, just to find out it‘s not to you liking...

the list is... first of all supposed to be legion of grief, which was (wild speculation) some intermediate legion between Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt (soul wars forbidden powers). Rule wise I’m not really sure, I think legions of Nagash rule set. But the necromancers and dire wolves gave that away...

Then the cogsmith and his cannons... there’s mercenaries rules, that costs you your first cp iirc and he has taken the „blacksmoke battery“. Interesting choice for almost every LoN army, to get heavy shooting.

but for somebody kinda starting out on this hobby, that’s a mighty deep dive imo, playing with all the extra bling right from the start.

grab a Soul Wars box or a start collecting box or whatever and just throw some dice. 500-750 point games, maybe some meeting engagements at 1k, slowly build up and think about things/styles/tactics you want to intensify or diversify. build a solid foundation and then branch out from there.

investing 250€ in a specific list and realizing it doesn’t work the way you hoped is not only money, but also time (building/painting) and fun (three four wasted evenings) that I wouldn’t want to burn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honk said:

I meant the ?Soul Wars? Box, which you wanted to buy anyway. I think just go for it, with a small batch and try it out. No need to invest heavily, just to find out it‘s not to you liking...

the list is... first of all supposed to be legion of grief, which was (wild speculation) some intermediate legion between Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt (soul wars forbidden powers). Rule wise I’m not really sure, I think legions of Nagash rule set. But the necromancers and dire wolves gave that away...

Then the cogsmith and his cannons... there’s mercenaries rules, that costs you your first cp iirc and he has taken the „blacksmoke battery“. Interesting choice for almost every LoN army, to get heavy shooting.

but for somebody kinda starting out on this hobby, that’s a mighty deep dive imo, playing with all the extra bling right from the start.

grab a Soul Wars box or a start collecting box or whatever and just throw some dice. 500-750 point games, maybe some meeting engagements at 1k, slowly build up and think about things/styles/tactics you want to intensify or diversify. build a solid foundation and then branch out from there.

investing 250€ in a specific list and realizing it doesn’t work the way you hoped is not only money, but also time (building/painting) and fun (three four wasted evenings) that I wouldn’t want to burn

Thank you for you answers Honk, much appriciated.

• Thanks 1