Comparing Highborn Archers with Peasant Bowman

Buaku

6 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Not to be off-brand for these forums, but if you're not interested in Age of Sigmar minis, presumably aren't into the lore, and you (understandably) find the rules confusing, have you considered just going with a different wargame? Systems like SAGA: Age of Magic, Song of Blade & Heroes, Dragon Rampant, and loads more, are designed to allow you to play fantasy battles with whatever minis you have in your collection in a much simpler, easy to understand way.

Age of Sigmar is very much designed to support its own expansive universe and huge range of models, and it's deliberately a very large, complicated beast. If you're basically just looking to get some dwarves, elves, and skeletons on the table and get battling, I'd really recommend looking into other games instead.

Also consider Frostgrave, it is cheap to get and model agnostic.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. I've brievly looked into the three other wargames you mentioned and will try to find out more about them.

Actually now I think that together with the warscrollbuilder, the app and the free rules I have everything to make two small armies of dwarves knights skeletons and archers and play a small game. I still need to cast the miniatures though.

About the remark of copyright; I don't think casting Prince August miniatures is an infringement of copyright. It's just a separate branch that makes moulds for their own miniatures.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buaku said:

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. I've brievly looked into the three other wargames you mentioned and will try to find out more about them.

Actually now I think that together with the warscrollbuilder, the app and the free rules I have everything to make two small armies of dwarves knights skeletons and archers and play a small game.

I have to agree with others that planning to play Age of Sigmar if you care neither about the original miniatures, lore, setting and even currently supported factions might not be a good idea.

With that approach, the only thing you're leaving from the actual AoS is core mechanics that, even fans agree, are not all that good. I would *strongly* consider other rulesets, especially ones fitted to smaller games - even ignoring the other factors, you'd have to cast at least 100 models to have enough for two armies even for a very small game, and those things take time, skill and material. Using just skeletons, archers and dwarves you miss out on rules for magic, monsters, heroes and basically *everything* that make AoS interesting to play.

The factions you chose are mostly  'legacy' models, aimed at experienced collectors who already have their models and don't really care about balance in their gaming experience, plus they ignore most rules of army construction, allegiance skills and generally, again, interesting things.

Armies in AoS tend to be built out of different units, because having just 4 variations of a troop between both players would be, in all honesty, terribly boring.

You already got some better rulesets suggested here, but I'd again recommend Song of Blades and Heroes - it's great for small scale fantasy battles.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Buaku said:

About the remark of copyright; I don't think casting Prince August miniatures is an infringement of copyright. It's just a separate branch that makes moulds for their own miniatures.

I was not aware about that (just had time to have a look). In that case it’s different but in the past we’ve had people want to do recasts of current models which is not what we want on this forum. 

• Like 1