New Years Hobby Resolution 2020

Kramer

2019 was an extremely productive year for me hobby-wise. I started up with AoS January 2019 after a 15 year hiatus from warhammer and started fresh with Gutbuster ogors. I bought, built, painted and based 2500 points of gutbusters, before I expanded into beastclaw  raiders. I bought 3 start collecting BCR boxes and built, painted, and based those as well totalling 4500 points of Ogor Mawtribes done. Around september I started my second army, Daemons of Tzeentch, and have managed to finish building, painting and basing 2 full daemons of Tzeentch SC boxes, 20 blue horrors, 20 brimstones horrors for a total of 2000 points. Currently on my paint desk is Kairos Fateweaver, and I have in box another SC daemons of Tzeentch, as well as another 10 blue and brimstone horrors. My short term goal is to get Kairos painted, and finish building and painting my tzeentch. Hopefully by end of February that can be done, leaving me with 3000 points of finished daemons of Tzeentch. 

After that, I’m not sure what 2020 holds! I managed to game roughly once every 2 weeks in 2019, so it might be nice to get in even more gaming in 2020, but it’s tough with work and family. I did dig into all my old warhammer armies from the late 90s and I stripped down my Vampire Counts army (around 1800 points of legions of Nagash in modern value). I’ve managed to re-paint around 200 points of them, but the vast majority is just sitting primed and ready to go. I would like to finish them off in 2020, and run a retro army, but I’m super tempted to start an order army. I’ve been looking a lot at Idoneth or Cities of Sigmar living cities... but these pointy elves teasers definitely have my attention! Ahhh this hobby really is addicting. 

I think all things considered, 2020 looks good! My main resolutions then are to A) Finish my daemons of Tzeentch army B) Raise my painting skills to the next level ( right now I’m at a, in my opinion, very solid table top ready standard. I’d like to get even better ) C) Finish painting my retro Vampire Counts army D) Decide on an order army, and purchase and build / paint it one box at a time ( bulk purchases put a lot of pressure on you )!

Edited by GutZilla

11 hours ago, Overread said:

For me with painting its many things. Being a perfectionist without painting skill does NOT help matters in the least. However there's also teh fact that painting isn't a singular method. There are dozens of different theories and methods and approaches. Even just painting a single colour can be a minefield of various choices of blending and layering and such. So part of it is me mentally making choices on what methods to follow and guides to listen too - whilst at the same time realising that because I am inexperienced I "don't know what I don't know" which makes following different sources and pooling them together and making those final choices that much harder. 

It actually has me half wanting to collect the Mortal Realms magazine just to provide me a source of models I don't actually "WANT" as such to practice paitning on without having to worry about paint stripping them off later. Of course the logical half of me knows that is NOT a sane approach to things. 

I can relate to a lot of what you're saying.

My 'trick' to getting over it is to look at painting as an experience in itself. The more I paint, the more I experiment and learn different things. I'm still not a very good painter but every unit I complete teaches me something that can't just be taught from a video, although watching tutorials helps a lot too.

Basically, look at painting like leveling up a skill in an RPG. The more you do it, the better you get, so you may as well get stuck in!

#5 on my list is do the Plog/Blog Thing. I don't really know why more people aren't taking advantage of it here.

I mentioned a few other things during the new years post, like build the things, paint 400 things, and avoid spending too much (although I have fallen face first into the DoT release and I am hoping it sticks for the rest of the year).

2019 was the year I went back to the hobby, and I managed to finish Soul Wars, Legion of Blood Battleforce, 5 Bloodletters and 5 Flesh Hounds from the Wrath & Rapture set. 

I'd like to finish in 2020 Wrath & Rapture, Looncurse, Slaves to Darkness Battleforce and Daughter's of Khaine Battleforce. 

Let's see what happens. 

• Like 1

2019 I attempted to defeat the pile of shame. I was doing very well until mid year where things hit a common depressing purchase to hobby ratio.

After some reflection I have determined that it was due to a few factors.

1) I am in a very competitive tournament style focused meta. It is all bleeding edge gaming.

2) I love the Warhammer universes but have not been enjoying the games I play.

3) My unfortunate reaction to 2 was to make purchases chasing the dragon. Maybe if I Min/Max more I'll have good games...

So 2020.

No large scale gaming. I do not enjoy AoS or 40k. I will play Warcry and Kill Team. I still love the background. So the plan.

1) I am now one of those fabled hobbyist only people when it comes to the flagship games.

2) I am writing a background for my custom City of Sigmar. I have found it really helpful in inspiring more hobby time.

3) No purchases this year unless I have all of my City and Chaos forces completed.

4) In the event I accomplish that Herculean task I will make my next project a Nostalgic trip back to my beginning days in 5th. Either High Elves or Vampires in honour of my first foray into all of this.

5) For the first time in the 25 years I've been at this it will be a one kit purchase to finish at a time project.

Feel free to openly mock and chastise me if I am posting about purchases or new army plans.

Best of luck to all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Overread said:

For me with painting its many things. Being a perfectionist without painting skill does NOT help matters in the least. However there's also teh fact that painting isn't a singular method. There are dozens of different theories and methods and approaches. Even just painting a single colour can be a minefield of various choices of blending and layering and such. So part of it is me mentally making choices on what methods to follow and guides to listen too - whilst at the same time realising that because I am inexperienced I "don't know what I don't know" which makes following different sources and pooling them together and making those final choices that much harder. 

It actually has me half wanting to collect the Mortal Realms magazine just to provide me a source of models I don't actually "WANT" as such to practice paitning on without having to worry about paint stripping them off later. Of course the logical half of me knows that is NOT a sane approach to things. 

This. 
Only thing holding me back from finishing my army is that I am somehow unable to paint convincing fur. Every tutorial describes it as the easy part, yet I botched with several trials.  Doesn’t get easier when you wait too long, it seems 😬

1 minute ago, Beastmaster said:

Only thing holding me back from finishing my army is that I am somehow unable to paint convincing fur. Every tutorial describes it as the easy part, yet I botched with several trials.  Doesn’t get easier when you wait too long, it seems 😬

just wait longer your skills will improve ;) It's tough but like every skill in life you have to go through that phase where you are not yet satisfied. There's probably a ton of mournfang on ebay due to the start collecting. Why not get some of those, paint them up to practice and sell them again? Even if it's with a loss, you'll have improved and lost the least amount of money. And no practice models in your army

• Thanks 1

So in 2019 my only goal was to get involved in playing and meet people in the community. I joined a gaming club in March, which then folded later in the year but have found two new groups to join since. I think it’s fair to say that this has been a massive success for me!

Well I suppose I also wanted to keep trying to improve my painting but that was very much secondary.

Now for 2020 I want to expand that even more, keep up getting in at least a game a week, but also try and branch out and try some of the local tournament scene. I’ve already signed up to a couple of events so fingers crossed! I’m not fussed about being too table at all, just want to get involved more, and as always, play more games.

As for the hobby side, in 2019, I felt like my painting improved massively. But each model took a long time and by the end of a project I was just dropping off models rather than finishing everything. So for 2020 my goal is to completely finish my bonereapers army, and not just the models that’ll see the tabletop! Then after that it’s off to work on Slaves. With them I’m playing to do a reasonable amount of conversions as pretty much everything I’ve done to date has been built straight out the box.

So yeah, probably setting too high goals, but never mind, one can dream 🤣

• Like 1

I didn't make any in 2019.

For 2020 I have rather simple goals:

1. Paint all of my Ironjawz stuff. I have around 50 Ardboyz, 9 Gore Gruntas and 1 extra Maw Krusha that needs to be painted. 
  2. Sell off my Beast of Chaos army - I have around 30 Tzaangors and 9-12 dudes on discs that I might keep if I fancy Tzeentch. All the other Ungors, Bullgors, Gors etc. needs to be gone. They just collect dust and I have no interest in the army.
  3. I switched to Slaanesh from Beasts of Chaos the moment preorders came up. Oh boy, what a ride. The Keeper of Secrets is such an amazing sculpt, every game my models packed a serious punch, but I started disliking how the army played on the table. Models are super glasscannon, and my games weren't very enjoyable for my opponent due to double pile-ins or Locus of Diversion. You could argue it is just "L2P" issues since there are ways to work around both, but at the end of the day, my goal with the hobby is to throw dice with nice dudes and have a laugh. Result = I need to sell off my Slaanesh too.
  4. If Seraphon turns out to be amazing, I migth pick them up a second army. I've promised myself to finish painting my Ironjawz first though. I've had my eye on KO and Tzeentch too, but I'll wait to see how they play before I start investing.  

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

For me I got to the point I don’t need them. But it’s just I want to paint them. Super happy I snagged up That wood elf Lord with great the day after the final sale sold out second hand. Just one of those nostalgia models for an army I never played. 

Yeah, there are some great older models out there. I definitely have a fondness for models from the era a few year's before I started playing fantasy. Half my collecting these days seems to entail tracking down models which I wanted "back in the day" when my resources were much more limited.

2 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, there are some great older models out there. I definitely have a fondness for models from the era a few year's before I started playing fantasy. Half my collecting these days seems to entail tracking down models which I wanted "back in the day" when my resources were much more limited.

Haha same 😂 those made to order runs have been a blessing. 
Does make scale creep more noticeable though. 

• Like 1

Last Year I managed to finish my Alpha Legion and T'au kill teams, start my Astral Templars Stormcast Army, and complete a few hobby projects like some old Warhammer Black Orc Warbosses and the old Citadel Orc Village.

For 2020, my main goal is to finish my 1k Stormcast army, which includes my remaining Protectors, Prosecutors, Palladors, Raptors, Lord-Aquilor and Lord-Celestant on Foot.

I'm getting married this year so I'm going to try to focus on smaller projects, like two to three Warcry warbands, including Spire Tyrants, Kharadron Overlords, and OBR, the Defiled Ruins Terrain Set, and maybe another box of Brutes. 

I have been unable to paint, play or assemble stuff for the last year and 3 months. That will change. 
I now have a place to set up everything I need and will get back to josh’s paint thread. 

I’m not a competitive player at all although I’ve done the tourney scene with wfb. Loved it.  Lost more games than I can remember but I’m sure of one thing. I didn’t win and 1st,2nd3rd place at all. 
2017-18 I converted lots of my old armies. 2019 I collected SC, looncurse so that is what I’ll concentrate on. Convert a CoS army as well. 
on the horizon, maw tribes and Tzeentch. 
I tried to handle a few game systems (lots 40k) but will now be handling AoS completely. The new 40k looks awesome but another system is just out of reach so I’m not even gonna try. 

We will see what happens 😸

I've just updated my goals over in the 2019 thread as I'd forgotten what they were...

Overall 2019 was a very good year, I achieved the vast majority of what I had down and only failed on starting a Destruction army and learning ZBrush, which I think was pretty reasonable.  I also completely redid my hobby room, so now have a much better environment to work in and have cleared out quite a lot of junk that I'd been storing for years.  Somehow I managed to get on Warhammer TV too with my 40k Knight army.

2020 is going to be a year of taking my foot off the peddle a little bit.  I've a family holiday that will suck a bit of money and holiday entitlement which will limit some things.  Unlike past years I'm also in a pretty good place, I've three 2000 point AoS armies and a 2000 point 40k army, so I don't have any big pressures.

Goal wise here are my main overarching ones:

Post more on social media.  I have a wonderful habit of forgetting to post up what I'm doing even if it's just a small amount of progress, or only posting it on one platform.  That also includes creating some YouTube videos - I've had the kit for a year now and done one video...

Golden Demon entry.  It's a Kharadron Ironclad docked at a skyport and I've made the decision to not keep it secret!  I'm planning on a series of short video blogs to document my progress to see if people actually like that type of content.

Improve my brush skills.  I did two painting courses last year and really improved my brush skills, this year I want to continue that momentum.  I'm hoping to arrange some painting courses locally too if I can persuade my boss to let me use our works canteen for them.

Try and finish off my slow-grow Cogfort army.  It's going to be pretty tough, but I'd love to be able to field them at WHAchievements 8 this year!

Continue growing my Legion of Grief.  Despite being unplanned, I've loved doing my very simple paint job Legion of Grief army.  What I've got needs a bit of highlighting and some grass on the bases, but I'm planning on expanding the army out - hopefully more than doubling it so that I can field various combinations of armies out of it.  The new Mortal Realms subscription should help on that front, but I expect I'll need to bolster some units to be bigger.

More painting competitions.  I started off 2020 on a positive, picking up best painted single miniature at the NY Open Day - I'd love to continue that trend and be forced to get a display cabinet to display trophies!

Event wise, I've a team event in a couple of weeks and planning on WH Achievements in October.  That's likely to be it from the perspective of independent events.  GW wise, it's currently just Warhammer Fest, but hopefully I'll also manage the AoS Open Day if they run one.

• Like 1

I can't predict anything. I started this year with Kill Team, got  annoyed by it and ended up with Warcry and a small Legion of Grief army for Age of Sigmar, which both wasn't annouced at the beginning of 2019.

Finished painting it all at least. Could become better at the rules though this year, that would be something.

• Like 1

I was just a little bit off from clearing my backlog in 2019, (Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Ogors, Deepkin, KO, Seraphon, all previously in various levels of unfinished) not counting my always increasing underworlds collection and my Wanderer based CoS army that never got off the ground, what with Ogors and KO coming in quick succession and other lingering hobby debts.

For 2020 I'm looking to polish off KO, handle whatever new models Seraphon does/doesn't throw at me, and maybe actually paint some of those warbands I bought so I could paint them for fun. Basically just clearing the deck for Light Aelves when they release, which I expect will keep me busy the rest of the year, then it's finally time for my poor, neglected, Wanderers, maybe.

Side note, rethink storage arrangement, maybe sell off Stormcast?

Hobby ADHD and enjoying variety in my painting has left me with a bunch of 1,000ish point armies. My goal is expand them out to fully paint 2K armies or sell them off. I'm looking at:

Expanding/finish painting:

Khorne

Slaves to Darkness

Tzeentch

Kharadron Overlords

Cities of Sigmar

Nurgle

Gloomspite Gitz

Sell Off:

Skaven

Slaanesh

40k stuff minus my painted Knights and Dark Eldar

I'm also going to try and get more games in. I'm aiming for averaging 1 game a week+ 1 tournament a month (3 game, one day mostly, depends on how often they are hosted). World of Warcraft raiding complicates this...

I aim to finish painting my seraphon this year. I have the following still to do.

- 3 kroxigors

- 20 skinks

- 2 basildons

- 1 engine of the god

Once that is done I plan to focus on terrain. I need to paint the cottage that I got from Tabletop World and then assemble and paint 2 of the Hobbit lake town houses. I have some terrain from A Song of Fire and Ice kickstarter that looks okay unpainted so that saves a job. I will probably get some of the Game Workshop woods and then spend any other hobby money on getting the river bridge from Tabletop World.

Didn't have one in 2019, but did came up with what I think is an easily attainable one for 2020:

Have at least 1000 points of units for each of my (several) factions fully painted up. Simple enough, but with a few criteria.

1) Monsters and behemoths don't count towards the goal.

2) Each faction must have at least 2 minimum sized Battleline units.

3) Each faction must have 2 heroes painted, one if whom must be a wizard (if applicable.)

So basically, have a completed bare minimum army for each of my factions, and then expand from there.

Edited by OkayestDM

Before I put up my new years resolutions, let's have a look at my 2019 ones:

1) Herald of Tzeentch for Silver Tower - done!

1.jpg.dba4ebab5627921b7ac8018d41c211d0.jpg

2) 3 Freeguild Archers for Skirmish - done (+2 more)!

2073060389_1(1).jpg.dd06aadfdd0d03d80540268aabe494b1.jpg

3) Archeological dig site terrain set, including some tents, crates and some treasure chests to use as objectives - done! (See tents below)

587748967_1(3).jpg.84dcc5b8e8a8f71786f7fe688a3624ad.jpg

4) Freeguild war camp terrain set, including command tents, camp fire, pickets - done (sort of)! I decided I didn't need a full war camp and made a scout camp for my skirmish force instead.

806128721_1(4).jpg.6de3bd0f40946ed8ce6421fdde25730d.jpg

I also got lots of extra stuff done too!

- 5 Greatswords

1093048710_1(2).jpg.d1a378b96d634ef8b52cf803a413d40f.jpg

- Azyrite ruins

109780004_1(5).jpg.5381e9052e896bc6c8df686c1c1fec96.jpg

- 3 Shattered Dominion Objectives

1854091790_1(6).jpg.9382652b4f5b9ea80edd2871087cfcaa.jpg

- Ophidian Archway and Azyrite Townscape

2135709931_1(7).jpg.3fbf34296094b7af4cf897f4cf908b2a.jpg

Models painted 2019: 29 (11 troops, 18 terrain pieces)

Models rebased 2019: 25 (8 Kairic Acolytes, 6 Tzaangors, 1 Ogroid Thurmaturge, 10 Freeguild Guard with swords and shields)

Given I exceeded my goals, I thought I'd be a little more ambitions for next year...

2020 Goals:

- 3 Chaos Warriors

- 5 Chaos Warhounds

- Hrothgorn's Mantrappers

- Freeguild General on Griffon

- 5 Freeguild Greatswords

- 3 Empire Wolfships

• LOVE IT! 6