Wrath of the Everchosen is Eaxactly the AoS content I want to see!

RexHavoc

Unfortunately we've gotten to the point where all gaming books have to be at premium prices. Its very rare to see cheaper paperback options out of Games Workshop, even for the thinner tomes or things like campaign books which don't need to hold up to the same ware are tear as their codex type releases. Its the same in the RPG world. Everything has to be a massive full colour hardback now, so the cheaper end of the market has more or less switched to pdf releases.

5 hours ago, Mcthew said:

So Wrath of the Everchosen is finally up for pre-order.

But what the heck is with the pricing? It's a 104 page book, @ £30, pricier by £5 than the much thicker battletomes. In fact it ain't much cheaper than the massive Realmgate Wars books.

This has gone from a curious purchase to a 'heck no' purchase. What's GW playing at? Have printing costs suddenly gone through the roof or do they have no faith in the book?

Blame it on the coronavirus. ;)

6 hours ago, Mcthew said:

This has gone from a curious purchase to a 'heck no' purchase. What's GW playing at? Have printing costs suddenly gone through the roof or do they have no faith in the book?

Because if the last few years have proven anything, it's that GW crank up the price or pretty much anything and it will still sell by the bucket loads.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

They certainly do

And consider the date of outbreak of virus and the time they need to prepare for the shipments and release, I do not think there is much influence from the plague

Ah - I thought I sensed Nurgle's interference 😉

31 minutes ago, Ragnar72 said:

Are there any points for matched play in the book ? Or can you play all the armies only in open play?

There are points for the battalions; all of it is very much Matched Play legal. In fact, it seems like it's intended as a 'stealth' update for the Maggotkin battletome, what with four distinct sub-allegiances. I haven't seen much on it but generally there's no "here's some free extra rules with no tax" ala 40K, the Slaanesh stuff forces you into mandatory command traits/artefacts as tax for the extra abilities, for example. Definitely a well done supplement in my opinion.

Just now, xking said:

Explain?

it's really a combination of currency exchange rates and the absolutely savage import/export costs, since Australia is super far away from pretty much everything. That said, the prices for things in Australia are likely also artificially high, considering that if they don't have any option but to buy at the price they are offered, so greed (and simply knowing that your market has no option but to get gouged) probably also plays a part.

• Haha 2

They also ship to the US without increasing prices by much. Their strategy is to be save from any currency value fluctuations (central European prices are higher than British prices for example) while also having an immense profit by doing so. (Australians pay almost twice as much as Americans and people from Central Europe).

edit: That’s what I mean by Greed.

England to Australia: ~15.000 km

England America: ~ 6000km

spoiler shipping costs (cheaper to Australia)

273AA6E1-93D2-4455-ABDC-89EE045354A0.png.ece6f804c532bf6facfef06834bbcbc9.pngDBFE6430-A95E-44AA-A311-C4C788DB5370.png.314955db8d9f870fcd5c5ac6f0b83ac4.png

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

So the epub is £24.

Wow. No idea pixels were so expensive to print.

Wrath of the Everchosen might be the AoS content we want to see, but it's far from essential. For this price (and the price of a decent model or two), I'll be giving it miss.

A bit of a fail really.

• Like 4

yeah, if you don't have a Chaos god army, the book is not really worth it for the lore at that price point and even if you do, it doesn't bring out anything interesting for your army that isn't in your battletome (unless your Nurgle and are a bit outdated).

the best targeted audience would be the 40K chaos Daemon players trying out AoS with their already mixed army list or people with a Varanguard army.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, novakai said:

yeah, if you don't have a Chaos god army, the book is not really worth it for the lore at that price point and even if you do, it doesn't bring out anything interesting for your army that isn't in your battletome (unless your Nurgle and are a bit outdated).

the best targeted audience would be the 40K chaos Daemon players trying out AoS with their already mixed army list or people with a Varanguard army.

srsly, why do varanguard need TWO subfactions just for their own? -.- they could have made it a proper undivided mortal and deamon chaos subfaction but no, let's go with the most expensive kit in AoS twice.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

srsly, why do varanguard need TWO subfactions just for their own? -.- they could have made it a proper undivided mortal and deamon chaos subfaction but no, let's go with the most expensive kit in AoS twice.

😂 

Or, you know, make the unit good enough on its own so that it doesn't need to be pushed via subfaction rules? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most reviews of this book seem to be luke-warm at best. It's not a campaign book in the same mould as Realmgate Wars (which was a great way to introduce factions), but just an extension of StD, a holding reply for a new Nurgle tome, and an apologetic love-letter to Khorne.

What that means even to a narrative player is little more than a shrug.

What it means to a matched-player using Chaos is even less. Every review is in agreement you can play Chaos much better without what is offered in this book.

And as a narrative player, myself, I'll probably avoid this until it's on ebay for half the price I think. Such a shame.

Edited by Mcthew
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a Chaos book in terms of wide range of rules and fluff. This is a Death book in terms of fluff and campaign rules. This is a Narrative players book in terms of story and flavorful rules : 

I mean, you play Daemons, Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Slaves To Darkness ? This book is for you.  You want a campaign for the latter, or Ossiarch Bonereapers and Nighthaunt ? This book is for you.

The Realm rules for the Eightpoints, or the Siege rules for every factions, with the wandering Spells / Monsters rules - those are just sugar on the cake. 

The most important for me : world building about the Eightpoints, hints about Slaanesh and Lumineth Realm-lords, the next step of the Soul Wars narrative arc for Slaves To Darkness and Ossiarch Bonereapers. I mean I liked Forbidden Power for just that, even if played neither of the factions featured in it. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mcthew said:

Most reviews of this book seem to be luke-warm at best. It's not a campaign book in the same mould as Realmgate Wars (which was a great way to introduce factions),

Bummer loved the realmgate wars books (have them all and the novels).  They need to go back to that style, this newer style seems to appeal to nobody.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chord said:

Bummer loved the realmgate wars books (have them all and the novels).  They need to go back to that style, this newer style seems to appeal to nobody.

Me too. As I recall there was an Eightpoints campaign book wasnt there? (I could only afford the first 2 Realmgate Wars books, and Godbeasts and The Allgates are now both going for silly prices on eBay).

I look at Firestorm and even Malign Portents, and these were also good campaign books (Firestorm was a fantastic way of gaming naratively IMO).

Even as a Chaos player (with 3 factions of 2k points each), Wrath really doesn't excite. (Forbidden Power did tho, and is on my 2buy list which I've curtailed following so many post-Christmas purchases!)

Happy to be corrected when this book lands  and when someone (anyone) can give an honest (and warmer) review of whether it's worth £30 (or $84 AuD)!

I'm picking it up. I'll do a cost analysis based on the value it provides compared to say a battletome. 

I'd assume It will take me 2/3 hours to read and fully digest. another 2/3 making army lists. Followed by 10-20 making terrain for siege games and then I can start playing with the rules in the book. 

So ~$2 an hour is decent value imo BEFORE I start playing with it. (or $3.50 on the low side. )

Compared to most battletomes I buy where  I spend just the first parts then put it down so $6.67 to $10 per hour of entertainment.

Edited by Ryan Taylor
  • Like 3