Wrath of the Everchosen is Eaxactly the AoS content I want to see!

RexHavoc

A little while back (just after the release of Soul wars in fact) I made the decision that I would not be buying any more Editions of warhammer. I loved AoS 1st edition and would have stuck happily with that, had they not cut its life short. It was full of potential, despite people screaming blue murder that it was useless as a game (The change came at what I guess was GW wanting to go where the easier money is and I can't blame them for that)

But 2nd Edition (Soul wars) came along and the new starter set was fantastic (good value, great nighthaunt minis, gorgeous core book, probably the nicest set of cheap dice in a GW set!) and along came all the new battletomes, spells & terrain, which were also really good (for the most part, there are some fantastic releases but we also got a couple of real bad stinkers, but still usable) and I said what the hell, I'd collect 2nd edition and stop there*. It wasn't so different to 1st edition but was about to get a whole host of battletomes (I've not counted, but it does feel like we have had the most updated battletomes/books compared to any other edition of fantasy) so I took the gamble that they would honour what they promised (which looking at the release scheduled for this year, they pretty much will have by summer. Even if a couple of books only score them half marks!)

But now that leaves me close the point where I have no more reason to keep buying books anything. After next weeks release(s) there is only really one more book I'd want and like to see updated (please update space lizards to a gloomspite level release!) and my opponent will want the new High Pansies Pointy Aelves. But I don't want stop buying new things for a game I love(even if it has dropped out of favour with me these past couple of months). But there is just no reason for me to edition swap any more. We hardly get any games in (due to me returning to school and travelling 4-5 hours a day to attend, thankfully I have 9 month break from that now and only a year after) and nothing we've found in the rules so far that have stopped us enjoying exactly what we have been (we've been playing skirmish exclusively and just house ruled out the restrictions and points). Even if we did come across anything game/immersion breaking, house rules would fix most problems.

But campaign books keep me invested. It doesn't matter what edition they are for, they can be tailored to suit any edition or ruleset, with very little work. They'll keep me buying new characters or conversion material, even after I have brought one or more of every unit I'd ever want. (I've been thinking of running WFB blood in the bad lands but set in the realms instead as we've yet to run that campaign, in either game)

I had hoped that we would have seen a follow up to malign portents (to the point that I pestered GW asking for a follow up, as did many others) but it wasn't to be. (It is such a shame that most of the malign portents fiction will vanish over time, as most of it was online only and I'm sure they could have made some more money giving us a MP flavour book as the follow up but oh well)

I've zero interest in the bonereapers as they are, they don't appeal to me as an army. Some of the models are nice and the ones in the feast of bones set will be donated to a not-tomb kings army I'll build for my opponent. I'm not taken by the chaos-undivided in AoS- I much prefer the more grim, northern styled chaos of WFB and love AoS take on nurgle way too much. So nothing about the new book really jumps out to me, but its the sort of content I want to see much, much more of in AoS. So I'll be ordering it in hopes that its popular enough to encourage GW to keep making them.

Especially since GW have switched from making very small, unique (almost niche) style army books to the (what seems to be more popular) soup style books. Compare fyreslayers to Cities or the Skaven pestilence Vs last years 'Skaven'. I much preferred the smaller takes on more unique forces and wish they had kept the soup type tomes to the grand alliance books. But these campaign books would be the perfect place to explore smaller, unique armies. They could use them as a way to release more wild and out there ideas that don't need or can't have a full model release (Imagine a sky pirates campaign book, encouraging to convert everything from existing models or perhaps a skaven civil war book, where we might finally see the bombardier get a stand alone release)

I'm hoping the new book is popular, but so far seen very little mention of it anywhere. Anyone else excited for it? Would you have rather seen a different line up for the book? How do other people feel on seeing more campaign books? How often would you buy them?

* There is always the chance that GW do stick with what seemed like the plan originally- no more editions and just yearly updates, but even with all the crazy things I do believe, this is definitely not one of them!  Edition change is too much of a guaranteed money maker in this hobby. We will see a 3rd edition of AoS, if not in name but in nature.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I personally collect every battletomes and narrative supplements, and am a huge Chaos player (I also have some Nighthaunts and Ossiarch Bonereapers).

In terms of fluff, the book looks great, as it is centered around 2 armies I really like. 

With Disciples of Tzeentch, Kharadron, Pointy Aelves, etc. coming before summer 2020, I feel like there are enough things coming to keep me interested forever into AOS.

Yet I don't want on top of that to have to buy monthly Narrative supplements like Psychic Awakening, who really are poor story-wise (I've read them all). But then I understand they represent a road to 40k 9th edition.

What I find best is more spaced supplements releases like Vigilus I and II, or Malign Portents (which was IMO, with the website, video teasers, harbingers, global campaign and short stories, a MASTER piece). 

Speaking of the current story arc started in MP, @RexHavoc did you read Forbidden Power ? It is second chapter in the Soul Wars after the events introduced in the 2nd Ed. Core book (and the Battle for Glysmforge booklet in the starter set). It looks like it's just what you wanted too, as it look pretty similar to what WotE will be.

Anyway, 2-3 Narrative supplements centered around the same story arc (the Soul wars) per year sounds perfect to me.

Also, let's not forget that so far, in the vast "Soul wars story arc", MP spawned the Soul Wars chapter in the Core Book, which spawned Forbidden Power, which spawned both the Ossiarch stories of conquest (which lead them to attack the Eighpoints as it will be expanded upon in WotE) AND spawned the Gordrakk attack Excelsis story arc.

I'm quite sure, as other have speculated here, that that last bit will end up as another Narrative supplement in 2020 (like "the Fall of Excelsis" or something). 

So plenty of things to get excited upon this year ;) 

• LOVE IT! 2

It was the new book that had me jumping for joy more than any other of the teases besides the Aether War, Kharadron and continuing narrative of the realm of metal campaigns.

The recent Soul Wars stuff has been fantastic with expansions of lore, battle scenarios and even mercenaries but I'm also hoping for more sub-faction love.

Like this would not only be a good way to reveal the Flame Scions but tons of other races just as the epic battles of the God-beast campaign did.

So here's hoping the Grand Marshall of Chaos can lead us into another flavorful campaign filled with art, war and small factions coming out of the narrative wood-work in the glorious Mortal Realms.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ahriman said:

My only caveat is that the lore and accompanying campaign rules are on a par with the amazing Vigilus books, and not like the lacklustre Psychic Awakening stuff - but we shall see!!!

Seconded, the Vigilus books were the closest GW proper has come to the brilliance of the FW heresy or imperial armour books. The psychic awakening books have really fallen far short of that, basically just being a few tacked on rules for 'left behind' factions with cliched recycled narratives.

I think there may be scope for something like Vigilus to be done here. Both the ossiarchs and chaos have very recent battletomes so I don't think there's much they really need. Ideally then the book can pull on the development the eighpoints got in Warcry and the StD background, as well as the more military stylings of the ossiarchs to make something like an actual campaign account.

• Like 1

The Warbands of Varanspire assembled to show the horrors chaos accumulated across the realms and in their own corrupted sub-realm with a gateway straight to hell vs the multitude of undead empires hailing from the realm of death under their supreme god Nagash as he sends forth ancient cultures and past warriors of vast differing magic realms and abilities.

(Drools)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Seconded, the Vigilus books were the closest GW proper has come to the brilliance of the FW heresy or imperial armour books. The psychic awakening books have really fallen far short of that, basically just being a few tacked on rules for 'left behind' factions with cliched recycled narratives.

I think there may be scope for something like Vigilus to be done here. Both the ossiarchs and chaos have very recent battletomes so I don't think there's much they really need. Ideally then the book can pull on the development the eighpoints got in Warcry and the StD background, as well as the more military stylings of the ossiarchs to make something like an actual campaign account.

Kind of surprised that Vigilus is so well regarded.

I read through Vigilus Defiant over the December break and have started Vigilus Ablaze. For me personally the books get pretty boring beyond the first 50 or so pages.

Have not read any of the Psychic Awakening books so I can't compare to that.

Considering the price of these book is like $70 AUD each I'd be expecting a bit more.

The bar for books was set by Forge World's Imperial Armour series and the early Heresy books for me. The Realmgate Wars books came close and were a good step in the right direction because they needed to add some foundations to the (then unknown) AoS setting. Forbidden Power was a step backwards however.

Hopefully, as others have explained, Wrath of the Everchosen is a step forwards.

• Like 3

I'm interested in the reason for the invasion. Does Nagash just feel confident from his string of victories against Order and feel only his forces can disrupt the growing chaos offensive Archaon started with his Warcry? (Which is pretty badass on Nagash's part)

Is it a division since Katakros is such a strategist and will draw the eyes of the gods while Nagash does something else as was his division tactics in Malign Portents?

Is it a God PR move to gain more worshippers through the Realms as they continue to see the power of Death is the ultimate weapon against Chaos as has been shown before with the growing influence of his deathly realm warding off daemons and the only common source of magic to stem the worst of Nurgle's plagues and it's victim's?

Can't wait to find out! :D

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, schwabbele said:

So how does this work? Do I need to play Chaos or OBR to enjoy this book?

To enjoy life really. ;) 

but looking at the chapter titles. Yeah you need them if you are looking for new allegiance abilities/ sub factions. But a sizeable portion seems to be background and campaign. Which is great for everybody. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, schwabbele said:

So how does this work? Do I need to play Chaos or OBR to enjoy this book?

Do you want updated Siege Warfare rules ?

Do you want roaming Monsters, or wandering Endless spells rules for your games ? 

Do you want new rules to play battles in the Eightpoints ?

Do you like the fluff of the current "Soul Wars" narrative arc ? Or want to learn about the Warcry setting aka the Eightpoints ? 

Do you play Chaos Daemons, Slaves To Darkness, Maggotkin Of Nurgle, Blades Of Khorne, Disciples Of Tzeentch or Hedonites of Slaanesh ? 

So Wrath of the Everchosen is finally up for pre-order.

But what the heck is with the pricing? It's a 104 page book, @ £30, pricier by £5 than the much thicker battletomes. In fact it ain't much cheaper than the massive Realmgate Wars books.

This has gone from a curious purchase to a 'heck no' purchase. What's GW playing at? Have printing costs suddenly gone through the roof or do they have no faith in the book?