AoS 2 - Pointy Aelves ("High Elves") Discussion (name tbd!)

kenshin620

I wouldn't mind Tyrion getting his own faction, but honestly, I disagree with you.  One, the Twins have always been bound very closely, with Teclis nowdays functioning as Tyrion's eyes.  Also, while I personally would love yet another aelf faction, I doubt the majority of players would.  There's been a lot of jokes about Grand Alliance Aelves because people already feel like there are a ton of aelf factions.  If the split were to happen the way you say, plus Malarion's eventual Shadow Aelves, that would put us up to 6 aelf factions, 7 if you count CoS.  That's more aelf armies than Destruction and Death combined.

Also, Whitefang mentioned something about them being in the same faction, and he tends to have his finger on the pulse of what's going on.

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I wouldn't mind Tyrion getting his own faction, but honestly, I disagree with you.  One, the Twins have always been bound very closely, with Teclis nowdays functioning as Tyrion's eyes.  Also, while I personally would love yet another aelf faction, I doubt the majority of players would.  There's been a lot of jokes about Grand Alliance Aelves because people already feel like there are a ton of aelf factions.  If the split were to happen the way you say, plus Malarion's eventual Shadow Aelves, that would put us up to 6 aelf factions, 7 if you count CoS.  That's more aelf armies than Destruction and Death combined.

Also, Whitefang mentioned something about them being in the same faction, and he tends to have his finger on the pulse of what's going on.

All good points, especially that there are already a glut of Aelf factions, But Elves, specifically High elves were one of if not the most popular faction in Warhammer fantasy by percentage of playerbase. And judging by the scale of the Stormcast releases compared to other AoS factions, I would not be so quick to put it past GW to try and cash in on Aelf popularity by supplying a plethora of model ranges to tap into that prior market. Really, I just don't think there is any proof in the two sources of information we have been provided about this specific release, that points to Tyrion's involvement.

From the Pointy Aleves video, we have them talking about Teclis, then specifically saying (...And He's busy making a whole new army)

From today's article, obviously we have a focus on Teclis and new artwork to go with his teased model silhouette from the Pointy Aelves video, but the line: (Did any of his Aelven Races aside from the Idoneth Survive?) again clearly points to this new faction as one of his races of Aelves.  As well as the first paragraph which states that (The mysterious Aelves of Hysh are almost ready to be revealed - and at their head is Teclis..)

As to your point about too many Aelf factions, I agree, and wish they would be more combined in a gloomspite like book, but There will likely be two factions of shadow Aelves, it seems reasonable that there will be two factions of Light Aelves, just like there will be seemingly two factions of nature Aelves in Sylvaneth and Kuronothi. 

More support for this comes from the Hedonites battletomb, which in the legacy of depravity section on page 25, details how in response to the resurgance of Slaaneshi forces Tyrion is indifferent to this threat, but that: (Teclis begins to gather armies of his own. he amasses the martial orders of the realm of Light and invokes ancient pacts with the spirits of Hysh to bolster his gleaming Warhosts..

Everything (which admittedly is limited to these three sources thus far) that has been explicitly provided about this new Aelf faction describes them as a race created by Teclis. We know that Morathi, Malerion, Tyrion and Teclis each get a share of Aelf souls from Slaanesh.  It means that either:

a.) Tyrion gave his share of souls to Teclis to craft, (which seems unlikely),

b.) That this faction will be comprised of both Teclis Light aelves, and Tyrion Light aelves, which would seemingly make this a huge potential range of miniatures, or finally

c.) That this faction is just Teclis', showcasing what he did with the rest of his souls and that Tyrion's Aelves are still waiting in the wings alongside Malerion.

Others may certainly disagree, but based on the only evidence we currently have, I find the latter possibility the most likely.

Edited by Athrawes

3 hours ago, Athrawes said:

(The mysterious Aelves of Hysh are almost ready to be revealed - and at their head is Teclis..)

a.) Tyrion gave his share of souls to Teclis to craft, (which seems unlikely),

b.) That this faction will be comprised of both Teclis Light aelves, and Tyrion Light aelves, which would seemingly make this a huge potential range of miniatures, or finally

c.) That this faction is just Teclis', showcasing what he did with the rest of his souls and that Tyrion's Aelves are still waiting in the wings alongside Malerion.

Others may certainly disagree, but based on the only evidence we currently have, I find the latter possibility the most likely.

I would argue that the Aelves of Hysh would include Tyrion's aelves.

B and C are the most likely. possibly even starting as C and later turning into B when Tryion's aelves are made into models.

8 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

He's also mentioned that someone needs to stay home which could mean that Tyrion is staying in Hysh protecting the realm while Teclis goes out into the mortal realms, mirroring how Tyrion would stay and protect Ulthuan while Teclis would travel the world back in the old days. Which if this is the case explains why there wasn't any mention of him in the article as he probably wouldn't be getting a model.

Edited by Dirtnaps
It's late
  • Like 2

Everyone has some great points.  I just want to toss a couple final thoughts into the mix, especially since this is mostly wishlisting as we really know nothing other than Teclis is bringing new aelves. 

From both a gameplay and a lore perspective, I'm not sure it makes sense to split the Twins into two seperate armies.  Lore wise the two have always completed each other and filled in the gaps that the other lacks.  Even the small tidbits we've been shown so far is AOS shows this to be true, turned up to 11.

Gameplay-wise, what would you do with another aelf army that hasn't already been done?  Especially with their push into AOS 2.0, the designers have shown that they really want to give each army it's own character.  I think there would be way too much overlap between the Twins' two forces to make them seperate factions.  Maybe we won't get Tyrion in the first round of releases, but as this is a completely new army, I'm sure they want to leave themselves design space to grow the faction.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

An interesting tweet from Phill. I'm sure we're going to learn more rather soon.

https://twitter.com/philkellywords/status/1218488057147592705

They may not be his aelves, but I'm guessing there will be at least one way to include 1 in 4 'aelf' units ala CoS and barak thryng. Why else include a keyword in CoS which has no actual use in that book? 

The Twins trilogy by William King is awesome.  Teclis also makes an appearance in Giantslayer, which os one of the Gotrek novels.

@Tiberius501 I don't know that that's been released yet.  Tried to do some digging, but with out having even the faction's official name yet, it's a little tough to find.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace

I will try to only buy the Battletome first hehe
Is anyone else especially excited about the Subfactions within the Pointy Aelves? I always was very fond of this design descision since it was implemented into AoS. You get inspiration for different colour shemes with them - different origin stories, fighting styles, etc.
Sadly I never got into Warhammer Fantasy Battles - but reading about Ellyrion, Yvresse, Avelorn, etc. was always so much fun. Every Realm had an appeal and something special. 

In Hysh there are "Ten Paradises"  - we probably will not get 10 Subfactions, however If you were to design them: What Core-Themes would you like to have in a Battletome. For example in the Ossiarch Battletome we have: 
-Poster Boys (Mortis Praetorians who are an example to everyone else)
-Guys that explode
-super dureable Guys
-the Immune to Magic Guys
-Horses and speed faction
-look fabulous and go berserk faction

Obviously we dont know anything but let your imagination go wild! :)

• Like 2

I’ve been a little preemptive, and have been thinking on colour schemes. I was originally thinking of going the original Ulthuan scheme but, being realm of light dwellers, and also that scheme seeming to be continuing through Teclis’ dudes (I like making up my own dudes), I was thinking I might go really angelic with them, with heaps of warm, glowing whites and bright silver armour. Could do muddy, war torn bases to contrast their majesty.

Anyone got any cool ideas for your schemes? Even though we haven’t even seen the models yet? 

Edited by Tiberius501
  • LOVE IT! 1