AoS 2 - Pointy Aelves ("High Elves") Discussion (name tbd!)

kenshin620

Winged cavalry would be awesome.  But the winged snake part, while referenced a lot as a symbol for Light magic, would be a little too close to both DoK and Deepkin eels I think.  SCE also seem to have a pretty strong grip on Draco-forms, so I'm not too hopeful about us getting Dragon Riders back.  But then again there's been a lot of talk about Tyrion's angel aelves, which is pretty similar to SCE Prosecutors, and kind of similar to DoK Khinerai, so there's that.

@Tiberius501 I hear you.  My wife has been making fun of me non-stop since the news dropped.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

It's times like this I really miss the short stories from Malign portents. I think they did a good job hyping up factions like idoneth deep kin and daughters of khaine, and I really miss that kinda of extra insight.

Those were so great. Especially the short animations showing off stuff during LoN and Nighthaunt drops

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

What kinds of weird units do you want to see?

Definitely an "elven Valkyrie" along with elementals or spirits of Hysh, would be neat, if you could summon them. I do hope there will be a terrain that will integrate the "stained-glass" motive, it's something I'm very fond of, bonus, if it depicts a creation myth.

6 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

My other wishlist is for Swordmasters of Hoeth (an equivalent anyway).

Feeling rather positive, we're going to see something like them. In the StD tome is a story of how the Chaotic Sphiranxes came to be, it's written:

Once, the Sphiranxes were an order of Hyshian mystics...
... served Teclis as custodians of esoteric treasures. Yet little by little, the Sphiranxes’ noble ideals were polluted...

... Hounded by Teclis and the military orders of Hysh, they slunk away into the dark corners of the Eightpoints to seethe over the perceived injustices done to them...

Military orders could be non-elven, however it feels a rather fitting task for a unit that's based on Sword Masters.

Edited by Tiger
  • LOVE IT! 2

11 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

eagle chariots

We had that once… 

Joking aside, heavy flying cavalry (Hawks, Eagles, whatever) would be a good pick for a High-Elves-revival faction. They could combine the elite cavalry aspect of the old dragon princes with the eagle theme of the old Asur, while still creating something unique to the Mortal Realms. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gecktron said:

We had that once… 

Joking aside, heavy flying cavalry (Hawks, Eagles, whatever) would be a good pick for a High-Elves-revival faction. They could combine the elite cavalry aspect of the old dragon princes with the eagle theme of the old Asur, while still creating something unique to the Mortal Realms. 

Honestly, a Skycutter fits really well into Age of Sigmar's aesthetic. It's rad as heck, I hope they bring it back. (And the white lion chariot!)

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I'd also like to see something like a crystal spire for our terrain piece, something with insane geometry that focuses magic.

I'd take something with insane geometry that focuses on magic as an unit. Call it an angel(ic aelf) and we have Evangelion and you know what, I'd be okay with that.

15 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I'd take something with insane geometry that focuses on magic as an unit. Call it an angel(ic aelf) and we have Evangelion and you know what, I'd be okay with that.

Haha bonuses if you set up your unit in a perfect square, triangle or circle 😂

6 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So, how many of you are Tolkien fans?  A random conversation with my wife made me realize what I want most from this new army.  I want Glorfindel, the Lord of the West.  I want the Elf Lord that reminds you why you do not mess with an elf, because they are beings of true power.

24 hours to go!

Well I started the mini hobby with LOTR minis so. Hahaha

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So, how many of you are Tolkien fans?  A random conversation with my wife made me realize what I want most from this new army.  I want Glorfindel, the Lord of the West.  I want the Elf Lord that reminds you why you do not mess with an elf, because they are beings of true power.

24 hours to go!

Big fan, ever since I read the books (and saw the films!) as a child. Collected dwarves in the miniature game, they were my gateway drug to GW proper...
I'd love to see someone like Glorfindel - my hope has been that Tyrion, despite being blind, would have ascended into this Glorfindel-like character by enchancing his already (well, pre-End Times) noble nature.

Ps. Silmarillion is magnificent and my favourite novel of his - and perhaps of all time - because it really feels like a real collection of myths of biblical proportions, showcasing that Tolkien was a true scholar. No wonder everyone else apes after him in worldbuilding. Also, elves became truly interesting in it, showing how their nature meant a fallen elf would go far deeper than any human would (see: Fëanor).

• Like 3

The Silmarillion is also my favorite!  That was the conversation I was having with my wife, about how you couldn't make it into a movie because it wouldn't translate well.

And yes, I would give one of my legs for Tyrion to be that awesome!  (But not my arms, need those for painting!)  I would also settle for Teclis being that kind of character if we don't get Tyrion, though I think Elrond would be a better analogue for him.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Exciting but after launching into new Ironjawz army, adding to my Sylvaneth and picking up the new Slaves to Darkness kits the project list is getting very long haha!

One thing I really hope is that Teclis is not forged into another 600+ point model like Nagash or Archaon. This isn't to say he shouldn't be amazingl as you can still be powerful for <350 points if you don't come atop an insane monster with near infinite mobility.  It would be nice to be able to build an army of 'High Elves' or whatever they end up being with charters and plenty of supporting units, rather than one godlike model and a few sidekicks in tow.

The other thing I am really interested in will be the 'special rules' we have plenty of characters and armies that can summon units to the battlefield. I kind of hope they don't go down this road as that has been done to death now. Will we see the old 'First Strike' type elves rule come back?

It would be pretty cool to see a character like Thranduil for Lord of the Rings.......... 

Edited by Gibs

2 hours ago, Gibs said:

It would be nice to be able to build an army of 'High Elves' or whatever they end up being with charters and plenty of supporting units, rather than one godlike model and a few sidekicks in tow.

This is also my preferred way to play.

3 hours ago, Gibs said:

Will we see the old 'First Strike' type elves rule come back?

I wouldn't be surprised. High initiative is what set the elves apart from others, but they've lost it with the changes done to the system. The theme for Hysh so far has been a generation of command points and command ability that grants the strike first in the combat phase. At the very least I expect traits that will allow additional command points to be generated. I'd be really glad, if we got some neat command abilities.

I was talking to friends, and they said Teclis has four mirrors attached on his belt. Anyone wants to speculate what those could be? Reflecting enemy spells?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Hysh Aelves have a rule designed to let them more appropriately face Hedonites of Slaanesh - their allegiance rules reflecting/opposing each other (Slaanesh makes you fight last, Hysh Aelves fight first) would be fitting thematically, and would obviously tie them in with the old High Elves. It'd obviously be an interesting mechanic to balance if the entire army has it 'on' permanently, unlike say Idoneth who have it for a single round. I'm not expecting them to have that as a stock allegiance rule purely because it seems like balancing around it would be difficult, but it would be cool.

It's a shame we don't appear to be getting Tyrion with this army, but it's great to see Teclis given such a grand build-up given how important he is both in WHFB lore and AOS lore. I'm hoping he's in the Morathi bracket - a very powerful model that doesn't eat up over a quarter of your army and provides something unique and different from what can be brought elsewhere would be ideal. It's a nigh guarantee he's going to be one of the top wizards in the game.

7 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Ps. Silmarillion is magnificent and my favourite novel of his - and perhaps of all time - because it really feels like a real collection of myths of biblical proportions, showcasing that Tolkien was a true scholar. No wonder everyone else apes after him in worldbuilding. Also, elves became truly interesting in it, showing how their nature meant a fallen elf would go far deeper than any human would (see: Fëanor).

the Silmarillion is also my favourite of his. 

its a pitty he never really wrote about the war of wrath.

@Tiberius501 to give you an idea of what I was talking about then, Glorfindel is one of the people that Sauron is actually afraid of.  In the seige of Minas Tirith, another Balrog shows up.  Glorfindel takes him single handedly.  It costs his life force, but he wins.

@Jaskier I could see their army focussing on being a CP machine, both to respresent how tactical they are, as well as their extreme speed.