AoS 2 - Pointy Aelves ("High Elves") Discussion (name tbd!)

kenshin620

25 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Take a look at the silver tower miniature “Mistweaver saih” She’s got the flowing hair, the moon motif, and the pointy armor bits alluded to in the various rumor thread pictures. She’s also different enough from old world elves to be an AOS specific faction, because let’s face it, GW wants copyrightable intellectual property and not generic fantasy elves. My guess is the new Hysh aelves take on the Mistweavers aesthetics.

I joined warhammer  during AoS release and i always toughth that GW High Elves had a quite unique look to then.

This became more evident by the fact thait it is really difficult to find non GW High Elves avaiable, unlike Dark and Wood Elves.

When GW released Idoneth, i kept thinking "Swordmasters would look amazing in dinamic poses like the namarti"!

I fully expect the tall hats with wings, the gems and the nobility of former high elves, but with modern looks and a new lore. Modern "classic versions" of then just like Chaos just got.

The mistweaver is from Uglu if memory serves.

6 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

I have a feeling teclis is going to make another vortex of magic to try and mitigate the damage from the necroquake.  

He made a structure made out of  Hysh crystal - Tower of Prios, which dampened the effects of the necroquake.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Sorry, I don't follow.

During the end times he undid the magic vortex that siphoned off most of the power from the winds of magic in a gambit to infuse the winds into himself to become powerful enough to stem the tide of chaos but it backfired on him.  He acted as Lileath’s catspaw in the beginning of the end times.

3 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

I'm curious how Tyrion will be now that Alarielle is off doing her own thing.  Hopefully he gets somewhat more of a personality this time lol

Personally I think it would be cool if Tyrion kind of adopts the Idoneth, while Teclis has his new kids. It would make sense as Tyrion is blind, like many Idoneth, and was the one who spared them. Plus they are a much more martial culture than magical in many ways.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gorthor21 said:

if Tyrion and Malerion both get new factions how many Aelven armies would there be?  A dozen including the Cities of Sigmar subfactions?

It was posted earlier in this thread I think. It’s a lot, to be sure, but why not? How many factions of humans are there when you include Chaos and storm casts? GW had the better storyline (in my opinion) with the elves in AoS anyways.

but, the more I think about the story lines the more I am excited. Plus, I do like the idea of an aelvish race that isn’t tide to the magical castings of the aether sea to survive. I think it would be a great addition to Warcry to see a skirmish version of this faction as well.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, HollowHills said:

Personally I think it would be cool if Tyrion kind of adopts the Idoneth, while Teclis has his new kids. It would make sense as Tyrion is blind, like many Idoneth, and was the one who spared them. Plus they are a much more martial culture than magical in many ways.

That’s a really cool idea for the next part of the Idoneth’s story.  

On 1/10/2020 at 3:36 AM, Gothmaug said:

My guess is the new Hysh aelves take on the Mistweavers aesthetics.

“Mist” is a more ulguish aesthetic though, not hyshian. There is always descriptions of how dangerous the miasma in Ulgu can be, like armies simply disappear in it. 
Hysh is described as a realm of perfection and insight, things there meant to be clean and luminous 

Just now, Whitefang said:

“Mist” is a more ulguish aesthetic though, not hyshian. There is always descriptions of how dangerous the miasma in Ulgu can be, like armies simply disappear in it. 
Hysh is described as a realm of perfection and insight, things there meant to be clean and luminous 

Yeah, that mist weaver was possibly some neutral party(maybe like a dark  mercenarial faction that worship Teclis) or Ulgu shadowkin (Twilightkin?) because in the Silver Tower novel her magic was horrifying like making one cultist go insane and tear his own face off in terror.

There could be a twist as she had possible Teclis & Tyrion symbols but there was nothing light-worthy of her madness-inducing magic (on Tzeentchites no less!).

That said, the new Hysh Aelves are out of Slaanesh's gut and inherently corrupted like the others. Having a "light casting shadows" aesthetic to have mistweavers cast the madness afflicting the "shining perfect race" army could be how they cope. The darkness hidden by the light.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Public Universal Duardin said:

I'm still holding onto the hope that Teclis managed to snatch a few Bretonnian souls (weren't they sent to some pocket dimension during End Times?) to reforge as elves. I can accept that I'll never see my noblebright frenchmen going on jolly good high adventures ever again but I'd love to get at least a cavalry unit of Grail Elves.

fear not, for the old world cometh in 3(+) years, and the mighty warriors of the Lady will ride again.

however, as for AoS, both Louen became a god, and the lady's daughter (unnamed) god are with the grail knights souls (amongst other bretonnians). i doubt those 2 gods would let them be reforged by Teclis without being for shadowed in the lore.

as for Hysh aelves, super exited, can't wait!

hopeing for eagles (or eagle-like birds) to be a big part of this faction, dragons are also cool tho.

9 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

fear not, for the old world cometh in 3(+) years, and the mighty warriors of the Lady will ride again.

however, as for AoS, both Louen became a god, and the lady's daughter (unnamed) god are with the grail knights souls (amongst other bretonnians). i doubt those 2 gods would let them be reforged by Teclis without being for shadowed in the lore.

as for Hysh aelves, super exited, can't wait!

hopeing for eagles (or eagle-like birds) to be a big part of this faction, dragons are also cool tho.

Not gonna lie, the nostalgiabaiting has made me pretty excited for Pointy Aelves regardless what they may be (even if they ARE elves, grumble grumble). As long as the lore is interesting enough I'd not mind to fill my Order quota with a new army! Although I have a feeling these elves are going to have some sort of flaw, doubt they are going to just be High Elves again, if for nothing else, to make them distinct enough that other companies can't make cheaper versions of them.

If I had to choose, I'd want dragons over eagles but we'll see.

I've been playing either a flavor of Chrace or Caledor since 5th edition WHFB, so I would love to see either of those brought into the AOS aesthetic.  I started playing Idoneth because they were the only real "aelf" faction, but they will be dropped like a hot pancake as soon as the Pointy Aelves come out.

That said, I find it interesting the couple pics of concept art they highlighted.   They showed archers, spearmen, Ellyrian Reavers, and Swordmasters.  They then ended with Teclis' concept art, followed by what we assume is his new model's silhouette.  So I wonder if those particular models are some of the ones being re-imagined?

It would also be cool if, since they are twins, Teclis' model also had parts to make Tyrion as well ina dual kit kind of way.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

It would also be cool if, since they are twins, Teclis' model also had parts to make Tyrion as well ina dual kit kind of way.

It would be interesting choice! But is this even "Tyrion's army"? Teclis has been seen in the trailer and has been attributed to "creating" the Pointy Aelves, if I've understood it correctly. I wonder how much Tyrion even has to do with these guys, lorewise. Although if he returns as a model, give him a proper steed, be it a horse or dragon. Can't have a god running around on foot!

I hate to say it, but I doubt we'll ever see a real dragon rider again.  GW wants things they can own the IP of.  So if we get a monsterous mount, it will most likely be something new and out there.

Has anyone given any thoughts as to what the play style could be?  Maybe like a self-buffing defensive counter-punch army?

• Sad 1

The Asur were flexible, if a bit generic army. The changes to initiative was what hurt elves the most, it was something they were known to have. We might see "strike first" command ability or perhaps as a rule on certain units. I feel it's going to be an army that will have few units that have "hate chaos" in their profile, Hysh is one of the realms that was hit hard by the Chaos.

When it comes to selection of spells I see few options. Two lores to choose from (high or light), or one major and one minor, or only one lore but the spellcasters have a spell from high or light by default. Magic was one of the strong areas that elves had, I don't think they'll be simply mediocre.

I think there's a chance we're going to see dragons, however I have no interest in them, either way GW decides is fine with me.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Tiberius501 said:

Can there be leaks or something? I need to see these brozillas. Maybe I could storm Games Workshop...

Same!

c‘mon GW the hype has almost died. Fire up the hypetrain again with potato-camera images or pixelated screenshots

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I hate to say it, but I doubt we'll ever see a real dragon rider again.  GW wants things they can own the IP of. 

you mean like snake women and bed sheet ghosts? and if you think GW has changed these concepts enough for DoK and Night Haunt then why wouldn't snake-like dragons be modified alittle to still be clearly a descendant of dragon rider concept but be more clearly 'GW' (if they even care for such things beyond names)