AoS 2 - Pointy Aelves ("High Elves") Discussion (name tbd!)

kenshin620

My Idoneth are 100% on suicide watch atm. I have a sinking feeling I'm not going to like the changes so I'm almost completely ready for new elves, just hoping there is a dragon focus of some kind. I know we have Stardrakes and Draconian guard and whatnot, but they certainly don't scratch the itch (and I'm not a fan of the stormcast aesthetic) of what I'm after, so I honestly hope there is a big focus in this army for it, or at least a centerpiece. Otherwise I'd be a little bit disappointment, so here's to hope!

• Like 1

From the little tidbits about Hysh, saying that things are born as majestic beasts of justice and stuff, I could very much see dragons/phoenixes/lions/etc, as the creatures that they have as monsters and mounts. Interesting to see if they take inspiration from the old White Lions or Phoenix Temple guys.

Edited by Tiberius501

3 hours ago, Hypephoon said:

My Idoneth are 100% on suicide watch atm. I have a sinking feeling I'm not going to like the changes so I'm almost completely ready for new elves, just hoping there is a dragon focus of some kind. I know we have Stardrakes and Draconian guard and whatnot, but they certainly don't scratch the itch (and I'm not a fan of the stormcast aesthetic) of what I'm after, so I honestly hope there is a big focus in this army for it, or at least a centerpiece. Otherwise I'd be a little bit disappointment, so here's to hope!

I didn’t know changes where expected to Deepkin, but I understand the thought for them. Can’t help but be disappointed by some aspects of their book.

but I completely agree with your want for dragons. Aelves had dragons in the old world, so having them here in this army would be amazing, though I would expect Malerion being the more dragon focused (if only because he fused with Seraphon in the transition to AoS.) I only hope Teclis is not the only focus for the book’s centerpiece model!

2 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

From the little tidbits about Hysh, saying that things are born as majestic beasts of justice and stuff, I could very much see dragons/phoenixes/lions/etc, as the creatures that they have as monsters and mounts. Interesting to see if they take inspiration from the old White Lions or Phoenix Temple guys.

I really want a hero on a giant white lion mount, man that would be cool. Dragons would also be something I'd really like to see, there just aren't enough dragons in AoS imo.

• LOVE IT! 1

20 hours ago, ylu113 said:

I think the best analogy will be old fantasy slayers —> Fyreslayers (evolution of aesthetic, entirely new army) instead of Daughters of Khaine or Gloomspite Gitz (take 1-2 fantasy kits and expand / remake the rest into a new range).

Don't forget Nighthaunt. They based an entire faction on essentially 4 models.

22 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

I really want a hero on a giant white lion mount, man that would be cool. Dragons would also be something I'd really like to see, there just aren't enough dragons in AoS imo.

Yeah lion mounts would be boss. And I agree about the dragons, we have plenty of half dragons and lizard things, but not enough proper dragon bros.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:18 PM, Acid_Nine said:

I didn’t know changes where expected to Deepkin, but I understand the thought for them. Can’t help but be disappointed by some aspects of their book.

but I completely agree with your want for dragons. Aelves had dragons in the old world, so having them here in this army would be amazing, though I would expect Malerion being the more dragon focused (if only because he fused with Seraphon in the transition to AoS.) I only hope Teclis is not the only focus for the book’s centerpiece model!

Oh it's no official or rumoured or anything, but given GWs track record I would.be completely surprised if they weren't part of a boxset containing 3 units and a hero (with the new hero being the 'Embailor' - pretty much a fish tamer, check out the short story 'The Learning') along with a new book. Books are just unpredictable that I don't have any faith that it will be full hardcore need on eels and over buff namarti instead of a balanced book. 

And fair about Malerion, I do really hope it'll.be good dragons vs evil dragons, but Malerion as the possibility to be the most show stopper of a model released. 

Also glad everyone else is in the dragon train, WE NEED MORE DRAGONS DAMNIT

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Planar said:

This new army is so OP its ridiculus. They totally break the meta. GW what were you thinking?

I don’t know, but making it so your opponent can hide for at least 4 years without any prior backstory before suddenly appearing and deleting people’s army plans with the shadowy outline of a god  is just plain broken. This is so OP it hurts.

@Hypephoon Yea, I would like an update in line with Disciples of Tzeench myself, but the embailor  is a solid idea for a new character. My only hope is that it’s mounted on something, not just foot slogging like all our other support units.

i like the idea of good vs evil dragons, but I think with the ideas GW has it may have to be mutually exclusive? Like star dragons for storm casts, evil black dragons for bad elves and happy light dragons for high elves.

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

My only hope is that it’s mounted on something, not just foot slogging like all our other support units.

If they go off the one in "The Learning" it could have something similar to a clam as a mount, not sure how I'd feel about that though as I'd prefer a giant crab or something.

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

happy light dragons for high elves

Reading this made me imagine elves on luck dragons lol.

I'm still holding onto the hope that Teclis managed to snatch a few Bretonnian souls (weren't they sent to some pocket dimension during End Times?) to reforge as elves. I can accept that I'll never see my noblebright frenchmen going on jolly good high adventures ever again but I'd love to get at least a cavalry unit of Grail Elves.

• LOVE IT! 1

Take a look at the silver tower miniature “Mistweaver saih” She’s got the flowing hair, the moon motif, and the pointy armor bits alluded to in the various rumor thread pictures. She’s also different enough from old world elves to be an AOS specific faction, because let’s face it, GW wants copyrightable intellectual property and not generic fantasy elves. My guess is the new Hysh aelves take on the Mistweavers aesthetics.

Bretonnia wasn’t very noblebright lol.  The disparity between peasants and knights was so greater than in the real feudal system.  Apparently Mannfred sold those guys out to Chaos which is weird because they went to the effort to come up with the story. Though to be fair the End Times was a huge chuck of lore to digest in such a short time.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

Bretonnia wasn’t very noblebright lol.  The disparity between peasants and knights was so greater than in the real feudal system.  Apparently Mannfred sold those guys out to Chaos which is weird because they went to the effort to come up with the story. Though to be fair the End Times was a huge chuck of lore to digest in such a short time.

I'm like FEC, but my delusion is that Bretonnians are noblebright just so I don't have to ask myself "Am I playing as the baddies?"