Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xking

Other god models.

Posted (edited)

So in age of Sigmar we know that many of the Gods and demigods have physical forms, and can have models. For example, Alarielle  and Nagash. And I'm sure the other incarnate Gods will get models as well down the line.

But what about the gods that don't obviously have their own faction, but are part of the Grand Alliance order. Like Taal and morrda, do you think it would be cool if these deities and demigods got models as well? Maybe they could use same rules as gotrek, "can be an ally in any order Army but without the restrictions"

( I don't want to hear none of that stuff about you don't think gods should have models,  it is what it is)

Edited by xking

Posted (edited)

Its a touchy thing with the gods: they are described as having the capacity to do god-like feats which shadow even their most powerful servants. When entire battles take place on god-beasts which the gods like Sigmar and GorkaMorka fought and slayed, you can understand when people say it doesn't really fit the scale of their power at the AoS board.

Nagash you could sort of forgive on the table, seeing how its merely a fragment: an Avatar of Nagash's will scattered over his thousands of forms of death. The Eidolon of Mathlann is the same, being a gestalt communion of powerful Aelven souls taking the form of the dead god. Morathi is just a ridiculously talented sorceror who is corrupted in part by Slaanesh. Gotrek... he's still Gotrek: fused with the master rune and given a portion of Grimnir's power prior to that yes, but still a mortal Dwarf. Archaon is as powerful a mortal as the chaos gods will allow with the Celestant Prime being his orderly reflection in Sigmar's image.

Alarielle throws all that out the window however: she's a god on the table. A very weak god compared to Sigmar who can shatter mountains with Ghal-Maraz if they so howled incorrectly, but I suppose its the old "can't compare space marines on the table to what they are in the books" scenario.

To answer your question though, some of the lesser god-beasts could be feasible if GW ever wanted to do them. The Ur-Phoenix for example. 

Edited by Malios
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

There will be more models for gods, I guess

Look at you dropping those hints, Mister in the know.

I wish we get a Sigmar model at some point because I really want to see a face off against Archaon or Nagash....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harioch said:

I wish we get a Sigmar model at some point because I really want to see a face off against Archaon or Nagash....

I don't think we'll be getting that anytime soon, seems like it would be years away. Especially with the story of AoS.

Maybe after the three other Chambers are open and the Lord-Commanders are released.

Just now, EccentricCircle said:

I thought that the model of Alarielle was her avatar?

They are both at the same time.

Basically AoS has some inconsistent elements between the lore and how it plays on the tabletop. Most Gods and Greater Demons are insanely powerful to the point where they can single handed destroy whole armies on their own. Now this would make for a rather boring game if all the troops, cavalry, regular leaders and monstesr were all pretty much useless and only a two or three models could fight each other and have a chance of winning; or worse if one person brought a god and another didn't.

So one "fluffy" way people explain is that for some of the gods they are more "avatars" than the actual god. Of course this is never set in stone. Eg Alarielle is often described as such, but not Morathi or Gotrek. It's honestly just a bit of fluffy "head cannon". Much like "Oh each troop model counts for 100 or 20 or 5 or whatever in reality.

Again its never consistent - 1 Liberator might be 1 Liberator, but one Clanrat might be 100 or even 1000 "in the lore". 

In the end I wouldn't overthink it. Just enjoy the freaking big awesome models :)

So do you all think that the supposedly Teclis God Model is confirmed after viewing the "Pointy Aelves" Trailer? :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I tend to think of them on the tabletop in the form of God-aspect.

Although in respect to classic mythology plenty Gods made themselves manifest among mortals and were bested by them in multiple ways and generally seemed less than God-like or particularly impressive many times. But if you're immortal, what does that matter?

The point with myths though is that they are not constrained to a human life time or a set chronology. They exist outside of time which is why they are heroic and bigger than mortals. Alarielle's potency (for example) is not in a pound for pound weighting against Archaon in one battle, it is precisely the opposite; that her existence will never be decided by one such confrontation.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Definitely for more gods.

Physical avatars of gods, demi-gods, god-beasts and god manifestations like the Deepkin use.

Even incorporate the more passive ones like the god of forgotten dead and the six smiths of Azyr as "scenery" or special types of endless spells that grant their boons to the side that shows favor to them (being from a certain realm, a hero offering items, etc).

AoS' core philosophy should always be "how to make it look like a heavy metal album cover" and multitudes of gods bestriding the mythological battlefields fits perfectly. :)

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 1/4/2020 at 6:20 PM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

So do you all think that the supposedly Teclis God Model is confirmed after viewing the "Pointy Aelves" Trailer? :)

I'm fully expecting one of these new fancy diorama models, Teclis & Tyrion together stood on some kind of imposing ruin in the centre whilst looking all godly and whatnot with some other 'stuff'surrounding them.

Posted (edited)

Just out of interest, have any of you read the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series, by Steven Erikson? Being about Godhood and all that, I thought some might know it. It is not as well known in my home country and I started again with Gardens of the Moon in English after giving up on the, in my opinion, bad translation.   (My knowledge only goes as far as a third into Deadhouse Gates though) 😁

I rememeber I got thrilled when I read about how Nagash consumed minor Death Gods in Shyish. Since then I always liked the Idea of an Army of shyishian Inhabitants fighting alongside their ancestors.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser

Posted (edited)

I haven't read it yet but I keep hearing great things about it being an epic fantasy setting of gods, flying citadels and nuke-level wizards. Definitely on my to-read list. :D

Also your Shyishian idea isn't too far off from some lore. There was one land with a thin sub-realm connection where the heroic ancestor spirits had their own contests and hunts  and when chaos invaded they turned their powers against them which kept the land safe until the Age of Sigmar. (It might be the  map info on the Malign Portents site)

Gave me Wheel of Time vibes with the magic heroes of old summoned by a horn.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Just out of interest, have any of you read the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series, by Steven Erikson? Being about Godhood and all that, I thought some might know it. It is not as well known in my home country and I started again with Gardens of the Moon in English after giving up on the, in my opinion, bad translation.   (My knowledge only goes as far as a third into Deadhouse Gates though) 😁

I rememeber I got thrilled when I read about how Nagash consumed minor Death Gods in Shyish. Since then I always liked the Idea of an Army of shyishian Inhabitants fighting alongside their ancestors.

I'm a huge fan of the Malazan series. When AoS was released, the whole concept of mortals ascending into godhood or being able to be consummed or just killed (like during the ET) made me think of how similar it is to the way it works in the Malazan world. Particularly how the Pantheon in AoS are ex-mortal that retain much of their mortal characteristics (personal ambition, agendas, feelings, etc). So not immaterial/untouchable type of gods such as the Chaos Gods (created and maintained by belief and worship), but rather mortals that accumulated so much power that "ascended" (to use Malazan terminology) to a divine status. I like the concept of godhood not being linear and having both that kind of ominiscient/impossibly powerful immaterial/invisible gods and also more grounded/mortal types of gods.

I could be cool if they expanded on these concepts, such as an azyrithe scribe discussing about the nature of godhood in the mortal realms or something like that (à la liber chaotica?). Also making the regular gods such as Sigmar or the others vulnerable and subject to being replaced by others (again like in the Malan series). It makes the barrier between mortals and gods unclear (some mortal do possess poeers rivaling with gods after all), and the mortal realms seem to be a setting fitting this concept.

As for god models, I have the impression we will only see a Teclis model for the elf release. A dual diorama with Tyrion would be cool, but Teclis always seemed more active often taking the battlefield around the Old World instead of chilling at home. Plus a model with 2 gods, one a beast in combat and the other being the most powerful wizard alive would be kind of OP in game :D.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Gorkamorka should temporarily possess Rogue Idols and that’s how they become animated. Would love a plastic kit for it and it would be awesome.

• Like 1

I’m team God and Avatars all the way, I would love to see more Godlike models, and it may be the 100th time I write it, but from day one whenAge of Sigmar was previewed I was really hoping for a Sigmar model. I have not much intrst in stormcast, but having an Army of men led be THE Sigmar Heldenhammer might push me to collect them. 

God/avatar models I’d like to See - 

Kurnoth/Orion, with hound of course.

Sigmar Heldenhammer. 

Morghur as the antithesis of Alarielle

GorkaMorka, As a Gargant/Titan size kit.  

Malerion, whatever the hell he is now.

Ushoran, as a DemiGod for the Flesh Eater courts. 

• Like 1

Now that the door's already been blown wide open by Nagash, Alarielle and Morathi, I don't see any reason to hold back on giving the gods their own models. They are basically the closest things to "main characters" that Age of Sigmar has. 

I expect them to be dripfed similar to 40k Primarchs.

12 hours ago, Blightzkrieg said:

Now that the door's already been blown wide open by Nagash, Alarielle and Morathi, I don't see any reason to hold back on giving the gods their own models. They are basically the closest things to "main characters" that Age of Sigmar has. 

I expect them to be dripfed similar to 40k Primarchs.

Agreed, but I dont think you'll ever see Sigmae for the same reason you'll never see the Emperor in 40k

I hope that they retcon the gods to being shards/aspects/avatars of their true form. It would help explain the power discrepancies and open the door for GW to introduce demi-gods (sort of already present with gotrek, Drycha, archaon) as well as expand the "god" model range. 

If only GW would show some love to beasts of chaos with a big new shiny Morghur model (Or his avatar). Wished of this before Morghur got his own faction with Gavespawn in the Beasts of Chaos battletome, and after that the desire for such a model only became greater!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Infernalslayer said:

If only GW would show some love to beasts of chaos with a big new shiny Morghur model (Or his avatar). Wished of this before Morghur got his own faction with Gavespawn in the Beasts of Chaos battletome, and after that the desire for such a model only became greater!!

Aye would love to see this, another old friend is always welcome, and BOC now really needs some symbolistic characters

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Indeed, plus the Lovecraftian "pure chaos beyond the dark gods) angle he brings to Age of Sigmar makes a really unique angle to build off of as he spawns horrors neither mortal nor daemon from the corrupted magic of the realms.

Just now, TheCovenLord said:

I hope that they retcon the gods to being shards/aspects/avatars of their true form.

That's actually been the implication from the beginning. Like the golden god form Sigmar takes is implied to just be a favored avatar as has Alarielle's and Nagash's as we've seen them look over there lands as spiritual manifestations before.

Their consciousness and connections to their realms and control over them makes the gods more like cosmic projections rather than just giant beings we can recognize.

Edit: Thus why Grimnir and his powers & influence are still around. He just lost his physical form, the spiritual manifestation still controls the realm and empowers his people & followers.

"What is death to a God? Dust and less than dust."

-Dirge of Dust and Steel, said as a Duardin death god returned to drag a daemon to the underworld despite being devoured by Nagash already.

Edited by Baron Klatz

Teclis is getting a model so we have another god on the way.