Keeping Prosecutors in unit coherency.

Artifactor

Question

Hello!

I have a question regarding Stormcast Eternal Prosecutors (the models with wings). These models look wonderful, but reading the rules, I see that any model must be within 1" of another model in its unit. The way the wings are placed on the Prosecutors makes this very difficult, at least for me. How do you guys handle your prosecutors? Or is there a rule I've missed that allow Prosecutors to be placed further away from eachother?

Thank you!

13 answers to this question

I'm sorry, I'm not 100´% sure what fudge means (I don't have English as my primary language). 

And me and my friends are doing the count from Base to Base thing, which makes it a bit more difficult (otherwise, as you said, it would be a walk in the park!). Still... maybe I'll find a way to rank them up without the wings slapping in their faces.

If you turn them so they're all facing outward, you can sort of get their bases rather tight.

Alternatively, you could use a bases/model measuring hybrid (for models like these) so that coherency is measured model-to-model and attacks are measured base-to-base. It's an easy enough change (though if they get swarmed by Clanrats you won't be happy about it).

I know this isn't the most satisfying answer, but I would say: don't play pedants and don't worry too much. 

I think you could manipulate the models into decent positions if you are concerned enough, but I don't think most people will mind about a few millimetres here or there. Though there are some good suggestions above in this thread.

7 hours ago, rokapoke said:

If you turn them so they're all facing outward, you can sort of get their bases rather tight.

Alternatively, you could use a bases/model measuring hybrid (for models like these) so that coherency is measured model-to-model and attacks are measured base-to-base. It's an easy enough change (though if they get swarmed by Clanrats you won't be happy about it).

This is what I've been doing - basically using base to base or closest point of the model if there's awkward overhang like on the Prosecutors. 

The 4-page Rules stated quite clear. 

Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the models or units you’re measuring to and from. You can measure distances whenever you wish. A model’s base isn’t considered part of the model – it’s just there to help the model stand up – so don’t include it when measuring distances.

So measuring from bases is purely house rule, which GW doesn't take into account anymore when designing new models.

But I understand the fact that measuring from bases is much more clear and easier. So many house rules require measuring from base.

So I think for the models like Prosecutors or other fancy models, you need to make some exception to the rules to make them playable. Otherwise, this question will keep coming up.

The 4-page Rules stated quite clear. 

Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the models or units you’re measuring to and from. You can measure distances whenever you wish. A model’s base isn’t considered part of the model – it’s just there to help the model stand up – so don’t include it when measuring distances.

So measuring from bases is purely house rule, which GW doesn't take into account anymore when designing new models.

But I understand the fact that measuring from bases is much more clear and easier. So many house rules require measuring from base.

So I think for the models like Prosecutors or other fancy models, you need to make some exception to the rules to make them playable. Otherwise, this question will keep coming up.

Seems to me that the simplest version of the measure using bases house rule is

"Bases are now considered part of the model. So include it when measuring distances"

That way for models that heavily over hang their base you can use the overhanging parts.

But maybe I am not thinking things through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use house rule that is found in Page 109 of General's Handbook and modify some part of it.

HOUSE RULES
Many tournaments will include tweaks and changes to the Warhammer Age of Sigmarrules sheet by instituting ‘house rules’. For instance, one of the most commonly seen house rules asks players to measure distances from base to base, ignoring limbs and weapons that hang over the edge of the model’s base. This changes the dynamic of combat slightly, but can prevent carefully painted and modelled bases getting damaged as they are stacked on top of each other.”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “General's Handbook - Gaming in the Age of Sigmar.” iBooks. 

So the house rule can be:

"Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the models' or units' bases you’re measuring to and from, ignoring limbs and weapons that hong over the edge of the model's base, except where there are the cases which models cannot possibly be placed in accordance to the rules (For example, when determining unit coherency), players are allowed to measure distance between the closest points of the model or unit instead."

I think the above house rule still has some problem in the case of player can take advantage of this rule and make some models more reachable than others. Like intentionally modify models limbs or weapon extensively and use this rule as an excuse to make the model's attack range further than it should be. But overall it can be used very well if you play fair.

On August 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM, TrexPushups said:

Seems to me that the simplest version of the measure using bases house rule is

"Bases are now considered part of the model. So include it when measuring distances"

That way for models that heavily over hang their base you can use the overhanging parts.

But maybe I am not thinking things through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this solution because it solves other problems I have had with a guy at my FLGS, where it is just assumed we are measuring from the base, has insisted I failed my charge when I didn't get within a half inch of his dragon whose head, wings, and tail stick out over 2 inches from the base in almost every direction.  I tried to explain why I feel measure from model is superior but no one cares.

The tournaments being run by GW LVO coming out in FEB are using base to base.

11 hours ago, Thesockra said:

I like this solution because it solves other problems I have had with a guy at my FLGS, where it is just assumed we are measuring from the base, has insisted I failed my charge when I didn't get within a half inch of his dragon whose head, wings, and tail stick out over 2 inches from the base in almost every direction.  I tried to explain why I feel measure from model is superior but no one cares.

There is no superior its preference. If your friend is a ****** and wants to give you a hard time. DO this: shake his hand, say good game, and put your models away. It's super simple, and he'll feel like and ****** and stop being a ****** quite possibly. 

If he insist on having his model super silly, tell him needs to bring proxy bases for his opponents.

Archived