The Laboratory [Necrarch Soulblight]

Hey!

This will be a Soulblight army themed around my favourite bloodline from the-world-that-was, reimagined for Age of Sigmar — the Necrarchs. I'm obsessed with this bloodline — I think they're so characterful, I love that they wear their heart on their sleeve (often literally...) in terms of actually looking like the undead monsters they are, and I can really relate to the desire to squirrel themselves away in tall towers away from civilisation and read/study/sleep!

(If you're interested, you can read some of the fiction and lore I'm writing about them over on my blog.)

I'm aiming for a 2,500 point collection, to begin with. The cornerstone of the army will be the vampires themselves, represented by a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, a couple of Coven Thrones and a Vampire Lord (Winged Horror). Supporting them will be their retinues, whether those are the risen dead, their many experiments or their own dark acolytes.

This is a brand new project for #newyearnewarmy and I can't wait to get stuck in!

My focus for 2020 is on:

1. Completing the army! I'm trying to set a monthly target to keep the pace going. (The 'Tales of Instahammer' group on Instagram will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow!)
  2. Painting to a better quality. I was into this amazing hobby for much of my childhood/adolescence but have only recently come back to it in the past year or so and want to 'brush up' on my painting skills (groan...)
  3. Posting more WIPs as well as finished models. One noticeable difference from the hobby now compared to back then is the incredible online community that's sprung up around it! I'm really looking forward to sharing my progress on here, as well as over at Instagram.

I haven’t painted anything yet (save one Fell Bat) but here is my WIP general – the Ancient One – and the first Blood-Fat Bat:

Will try and get a few more pics up over the weekend!

T

Fell Bat1.jpg

Fell Bat2.jpg

Fell Bat3.jpg

Fell Bat4.jpg

Screenshot 2020-01-01 16.47.49.png

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
  • Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 4

19 hours ago, TMS said:

Looking forward to following this, your necrarch vampire is perfectly gnarly!

Soulblight was my first (and only) finished army and if I could do it, so can you! 👍

Cheers, TMS! Gnarly is just the vibe I was going for!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to sharing more of my collection with the community here, as I get around to painting it.

Aiming to work more on the remaining two bats this weekend... 🦇

“Awake, O dead! Crawl from your mountain tombs. Once more, the dispossessed have cause to march upon the forests of the aelves: my cause! No root nor branch nor witch-forged blade will spill their blood this time...”

Abel and his acolyte take to the field. You can read more about who Abel is and how he came to cross paths with The Ancient One here.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

It took me most of the day but I'm finally calling this finished.

Neferata's handmaidens aren't the only coven to take to battle atop their thrones. Abel the Unwritten and his acolyte march forth, forbidden lore in hand, dragged by the bound spirits of those who once carved a home beneath Shyish’s brittle peaks.

IMG-0346.JPG

IMG-0347.JPG

IMG-0348.JPG

IMG-0349.JPG

IMG-0350.JPG

IMG-0351.JPG

IMG-0352.JPG

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 3

On 1/26/2020 at 2:25 AM, Kronos said:

What a creepy contraption, cool conversion and gritty palette to match. If anyone where to have an infernal mobile laboratory it would have to be the Necrarchs.  

On 1/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ferrus65 said:

The cover throne is beautiful, there is genious in this work!

Thank you both, I'm thrilled you like it!

Here are a few more pics of it 'in the field', so to speak. Abel and his acolyte tread the fecund glades of Ghyran in search of a hidden knowledge said to be concealed there...

You can read some fiction I've written to accompany it here.

IMG-0360.JPG

IMG-0361.JPG

IMG-0362.JPG

IMG-0363.JPG

IMG-0364.JPG

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:45 AM, hammer49 said:

Loving your progress so far

Thank you, hammer49. Really appreciate the support :)

Here’s the latest, my second counts-as Coven Throne:

“Through the old stone, behind the many glyphs and across the long leagues stretching between me and Methuselah, I hear them. No, it is not sound so much as the tickle of their legs, the flutter of their wings, the pinch of their mandibles: a miracle of feeling against this cold skin. Under my first son’s careful ministrations, the casket opens once more. I know this as surely as I observe the moons in the sky or the plethora of gheists dancing above us, for if it is true that the children of Khepra make my flesh crawl, it is also true that I feel them inside me: a roiling nest stirring with appetite, as hungry as any to have shared my gift. For one moment, I feel the coarse granite beneath my son’s fingers, know its weight against even his terrible strength, see the first cracks of moonlight, fractured a million times in the million facets of our eyes. Then we are amongst that moonlight, a silvery host filling the sky, bent towards one purpose. Far below, Methuselah opens his mouth wide, and Khepra feeds, and distanced though we are by space and time and the fecund span of this rank forest, the cavern inside of me knows some measure of reprieve.”

579CC0DB-08A0-4ABF-AA26-382465251622.jpeg

5874B638-683C-4BC2-9F94-B1B290DB7BE6.jpeg

165E6772-9B22-45A0-9987-C0CC0ED3F38D.jpeg

B9F6D9F8-475F-416C-B1C8-971FBAB68AF3.jpeg

12365552-7537-4D02-94CA-31B44B912F62.jpeg

706258F2-6DF4-4FFE-BDF5-23177105BDA1.jpeg

• Like 5