Age of Sigmar Lexicanum

Ashendant

The Lexicanum proudly presents its newest project - its own, dedicated Age of Sigmar wiki! While originally a part of the Fantasy Battles Lexicanum, after a month of intense work the AoS wiki now is available as an independent, stand-alone wiki which fully and exclusively concentrates on the extensive Mortal Realms setting.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Here are a few examples of our work:

If you want to join us and contribute, you can request an account at: https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Special:RequestAccount

If you have any issues, you can request help here or on our Helpdesk on Discord: https://discord.gg/NBYmvXB

If you want to know where we are taking the AoS Lexi next, follow us on the in-wiki forums: https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lexicanum:Forum

Happy New Year!

Edited by Ashendant
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

There was a bug didn't allow people to request accounts. This has now been fixed and people can request accounts again. If you tried to join us before and couldn't you can now.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, Baron Klatz said:

Marvelous job!

I was having Mortal Realm withdrawals without it to browse through on my off hours. xD

It's always great to hear that! :D

We really need someone with the early Battletome: Seraphon as we are missing a lot of that early content, specially about the different kinds of Seraphon.

Edited by Ashendant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooh, that's very helpful!

On another note though, I have a nitpick. The Greywater Fastness page has the great Firestorm artwork of soldiers manning a wall cannon but nothing of the glorious floating city that is the Fastness itself.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/AoS-Greywater-Fastness.jpg

CnPRqpAVMAAp6vR?format=jpg&name=small

Even if it can't go on top of the page maybe you can include it in a gallery underneath the page?

10 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

On another note though, I have a nitpick. The Greywater Fastness page has the great Firestorm artwork of soldiers manning a wall cannon but nothing of the glorious floating city that is the Fastness itself.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/AoS-Greywater-Fastness.jpg

CnPRqpAVMAAp6vR?format=jpg&name=small

Even if it can't go on top of the page maybe you can include it in a gallery underneath the page?

Thats obviously NOT Greywater Fastness.

Going from its artwork (with its heraldry) in CoS, its clear the city is bigger/larger than the one showed above, and the various descriptions of it never mention that it should "float". We even have stories about the quagmire and the sewer directly around it. 

Great artwork tho, just from a "generic" Free city. 

15 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I'm trying to be more strict with images since the sourcing on them has been lax in the past. Before I add such images I need the source, with atleast pagenumber or chapter.

4 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Thats obviously NOT Greywater Fastness.

Going from its artwork (with its heraldry) in CoS, its clear the city is bigger/larger than the one showed above, and the various descriptions of it never mention that it should "float". We even have stories about the quagmire and the sewer directly around it. 

Great artwork tho, just from a "generic" Free city. 

I also remember this being a depiction of GF(through I could be wrong) at the time of the Season of War, so it might have expanded considerably since then.

Also Dalaran has sewers so that's a moot point.

• Like 1

All that can be true and it still be a flying city. It floats near the quagmires, it pumps up the waters for it's sewers and canals before pumping them out as "greywater" and it expands by building cities on the surrounding baked landscape which we see in the art and matches up with the descriptions of how it has smoke pouring out of it and ruined the lands in comparison to the rest of green Ghyran.

Greywater being built on vast deposits of realmstones and "only being possible because of it and  Valius' research of realmstone" also imply it's flying like many of Ghyran's landscapes and famed sky bridges.

Not to mention the stories that talk about the city keep showing this city.

BLPROCESSED-Auction-of-BloodCover.jpg

Just now, Ashendant said:

I also remember this being a depiction of GF(through I could be wrong) at the time of the Season of War, so it might have expanded considerably since then

Yeah, it's in the link I provided. :) 

It's been a long time since Seeds of Hope in the lore so I wouldn't be surprised if such an industrial city that never sleeps kept building on the surrounding lands past the sky Fastness but it's still an important structure. At this point Greywater is more a country and this it's capital.

Fair point on images. I hope someone can assist you with it.

Edited by Baron Klatz

3 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, it's in the link I provided. :) 

It's been a long time since Seeds of Hope in the lore so I wouldn't be surprised if such an industrial city that never sleeps kept building on the surrounding lands past the sky Fastness but it's still an important structure. At this point Greywater is more a country and this it's capital.

Fair point on images. I hope someone can assist you with it.

We need all the help we can get really. Especially with unit pages from Battletomes. Those feel like the ones we need the most help with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashendant said:

I'm trying to be more strict with images since the sourcing on them has been lax in the past. Before I add such images I need the source, with atleast pagenumber or chapter.

I also remember this being a depiction of GF(through I could be wrong) at the time of the Season of War, so it might have expanded considerably since then.

Also Dalaran has sewers so that's a moot point.

I think the confusion comes from the fact Black Library used the generic, flying Free city artwork to illustrate a short story about Greywater : 

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/quick-reads/auction-of-blood-ebook.html

Note that the artwork (from the old Season Of War : seeds of hope booklet, which contains generic free cities artworks) is used in other publications about free cities, and as Auction Of Blood, is from early AOS1. 

But if you read AoB itself, never does it mention that GF flies. Neither in the fluff from Season Of War : Firestorm, the Core Book and Cities Of Sigmar (and if it did, it should be a main feature of the city, so mentioned often, which is never the case).

From the fluff, the GF sewers are directly linked to the wild nature / industrial waste outside, with pipes, not lightning chains (see down). There are also some Malign Portents and Black Library short stories that describe the surrounding of the city, and in none of them does GF fly, but they mention a road going directly out of the city into the Ghoul Mere, and we know the city was in a swamp, which is at ground level (also, the official GF artwork, with its heraldic on the flags - the one in Season Of War : Firestorm and Cities Of Sigmar - shows canons firing horizontally, so they too must be at ground level) : 

https://malignportents.com/story/iron-and-oak/

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/quick-reads/auction-of-blood-ebook.html

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/dark-harvest-mp3-2020.html

And again, in the artwork of the flying city, the surrounding are mountains, ruins and volcanoes ; no swamps nor forests like in the aforementioned descriptions - the flying city is apparently in Aqshy, not Ghyran : 

1223997106_genericAqshyfreecity.png.2f0b6215a93f6c1b29adfd2359bf0a90.png

TLDR : it is a generic Free City artwork, not Greywater Fastness (sorry to be "pedantic" but if it's for the wiki one must be precise ;) ). 

Edited by HorticulusTGA

The surrounding wasteland works, it's what caused the Sylvaneth to truly despise the city after they destroyed the landscape.

"During the Season of War, hordes of beastmen threatened to tear the city down and the guildmasters ordered a full salvo from its macro-Hurricanum arrays creating an arcane detonation that not only utterly wiped out the besiegers, but also turned the surrounding verdant landscape into a desolate, smog-choked wasteland. The Dreadwood Sylvaneth led by the Treelord Pale Oak move to occupy the devastated territory now known as the Ghoul Mere and refused to allow people passage out of the city. "

Edit: Even their new artwork marks out how fiery the landscape is along with the Iron and Oak story talking more about the boiled away smoggy wasteland.

FreeCitiesLore-Sept25-Artwork3mvcbghs.jp

Mind i've also read Auction of Blood and the bookstore owner is in the middle of the massive city so we can never get his views from an outside perspective looking at it.

Edit: Another thing is the current Firestorm artwork is also from AoS1 so it's not like they're disjointed. The cannons can be on the ground cities seen in the image background.

Regardless,  the flying city is commonly associated with Greywater so it's still important to it even if it turns out just a fortress city the Hammers of Sigmar built near the actual city. We can wait for more official information but seeing as most other new cities have buildings on flying island even in Excelsis it wouldn't be out of place here where Ghyran is constantly shown with sky islands in the background.

So we'll see.

Just now, Ashendant said:

We need all the help we can get really. Especially with unit pages from Battletomes. Those feel like the ones we need the most help with.

Have you tried asking AoS Shorts or Mengal miniatures for assistance?  They have lots of battletome reviews.

Edited by Baron Klatz

40 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

words

No, a canonnades cannot create mountain ranges and volcanoes like this. At the very worst it would soften the world around it.

And the artwork shows lava flows and ruins, nothing like the muddy, polluted swamp described in the fluff.

Also the flying city shown here looks generic : the industrial look of GF, and its walls with canons and Hurricanums, which are a defining aspects of the city, are totally absent of it, unlike this artwork of Greywater (Season Of War : Firestorm,  p. 18, see the name on the left) : 

730615208_GreywaterFastness.png.7e49486f18611967cdb29099c519d076.png

And no, the flying city image is not "generally used", it was just used once by Black library staff on a short story. 

And if you insist, please show me one (1) quotation from any of the source material cited above where it is said Greywater flies.

Once again if we are talking about the wiki we need to be precise. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA

Just now, HorticulusTGA said:

No, a canonnades cannot create mountain ranges and volcanoes like this.

That's because they used tons of destructive magic and macro-sized magical war machines.

AoS-Greywater-Fastness.jpg

And that image is commonly used all over Seeds of Hope with GF.

However i'll agree to wiki accuracy so we'll wait for more information.

What I suspect though is that may be the Stormfort of the Hammers of Sigmar that helped found the city and it grew out from the shadows of the fortress' safety as many new cities did with their stormforts to become the industrial complex it is now.

Just now, Baron Klatz said:

That's because they used tons of destructive magic and macro-sized magical war machines.

AoS-Greywater-Fastness.jpg

And that image is commonly used all over Seeds of Hope with GF.

However i'll agree to wiki accuracy so we'll wait for more information.

What I suspect though is that may be the Stormfort of the Hammers of Sigmar that helped found the city and it grew out from the shadows of the fortress' safety as many new cities did with their stormforts to become the industrial complex it is now.

Let's be serious here : the landscape in the artwork is clearly natural (without that massive flying city that is :D)

And I guess that's where the Black Library confusion came : when the Seeds of Hope map was published, GW only had generic artworks for the Free cities, so I guess they took this one for Greywater. Later a BL guy checked the Internet and found this one associated with Greywater, and then put it on the cover of Auction Of Blood. 

Also, note how they cut most of the part where we can see the city is flying. The artwork must have been chosen for an illustrative purpose, at least I'll trust a more recent, published campaign book over a quick campaign / FB  post.

And still, if you have a mention in the fluff of the city flying, I'll gladly take it. 

But given ALL the publications where Greywater is NOT described flying but lying in a swamp, and the more recent artworks (note the one I provided above was published simultaneously with the "official" artwork, so those two are coherent) we have, it's safer to expect the city is firmly on the ground. 

.... We could ask Phil Kelly 😛 

I was thinking Josh Reynolds. xD

Just now, HorticulusTGA said:

Also, note how they cut most of the part where we can see the city is flying. The artwork must have been chosen for an illustrative purpose, at least I'll trust a more recent, published campaign book over a quick campaign / FB  post.

I mean they could've put it dead center and completely covered up any floating island imagery(though it'd  probably get confused with Hammerhal then).

Fair enough though, we can wait for more info to see whether or not it's a placeholder. I always just took it as a flying industrial city that harvested the lands below which is what let it gain dominance in Ghyran since the living forests and flora couldn't consume it like everything else that doesn't have magic walls or Aqshy lava protecting it.

Edited by Baron Klatz

• 2 years later...

Indeed! Wasn’t even the dingy grey industrial city the Ghyran map blurbs showed. 

Massive mechanical fire fortress-metropolis(with estimates it’s on par with New York City in size) is so much better!

image.jpeg.3f06afe1b586b10c61d89fc93391b57f.jpeg

The people (called Grits) are even paid in bullets with the Greywater mark on them.

Beautifully over-the-tops magi-tech industry City it deserved to be. 😍