If you could influence what faction got new stuff

MitGas

Which faction would get new stuff if YOU could decide?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Just a fun idea and maybe of no interest to you but if you could decide which faction(s) that you do NOT collect or play would get new/more minis/rules next, which would you pick? Please try to only pick 3 Options unless you go for the last two choices, if you pick one of those only pick one. Yeah, rules, rules... :)

• Hysh Aelves
    • Ulgu Aelves
    • A completely new Aelves faction
    • Kurnothi Aelves
    • Cities of Sigmar
    • A new AoS human faction
    • Fyreslayers
    • Kharadron Overlords
    • Slaves to Darkness
    • Slaanesh
    • Nurgle
    • Khorne
    • Tzeentch
    • Stormcast Eternals
    • Sylvaneth
    • Skaven
    • Chaos Duardin
    • Ogor Mawtribes
    • Aos Giant Faction / Gargants
    • New Duardin Faction
    • Vampires in the style of the Old World
    • A new Vampire faction
    • Orruk Warclans Ironjawz + Friends
    • A new Orc and Goblins Faction
    • Gloomspite Gitz
    • Beasts of Chaos
    • Chaos Monsters
    • Troggoths
    • Fimir
    • Nighthaunt
    • Ossiarch Bonereapers
    • Idoneth Deepkin
    • Malice - ANTI-Chaos
    • Daughters of Khaine
    • Flesh-Eater Courts
    • NO new factions but rather flesh out the new ones (Ironjawz, Fyreslayers, KO, Fleash-Eater Courts)
    • NO new factions but rather redo beloved old kits (Skaven, Seraphon, Cities of Sigmar)
    • Seraphon

Chaos Duardin: they’ve been mentioned in the fluff since the realmgate wars but no models! I’d give them cheap fast attack unit(maybe thralls?), some more daemons of Hashut, and lean into that iron golems aesthetic(it is my personal head canon that the golems worship hashut).

mawtribes: I’d expand upon the firebelly, maybe some tiki fire spirits or some form of volcanic monster to back him up.

new vamp faction: honestly just give me vampirates, or barring that crank the old gothic look up to 11.

• Like 1

Very interesting so far, thanks for taking the time and voting.

Looks like when GW teases a faction, they better follow suit. Doesn't matter if it's Aelves, Vampires, Dwarfs or Giants.

Interesting that Skaven got so few votes; I thought they'd be way higher - and Chaos Duardin are higher up than IO expected!

In no way is such a small sample size representative but it looks like almost all of Chaos and Stormcast are now at a point where they could go for very few new releases and fans wouldn't riot. Especially Nurgle and Khorne!

Can I have 2 new vampire factions? I couldn't possibly pick between an update to classic Soulblight vampires and some kind of Vampirates.

Also picked Chaos Dwarfs but that comes with a hefty asterisk. Either give them new scripts and a proper battletome or stop pretending and cut them from the setting completely. I dont think the wierd half space they are in now works for anyone.

• Thanks 2

Vampires feel like something they wouldn't need to re-invent the wheel for as new plastic Blood Knights would sell by the bucket-load, and the Gothic centrepieces are already in place (i.e. Coven Thorne, Neferata, etc.). Maybe all female Lahmians? 

However, they did a like-for-like reboot with Chaos Knights recently, so I don't know if that makes it more likely or less likely.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

In no way is such a small sample size representative but it looks like almost all of Chaos and Stormcast are now at a point where they could go for very few new releases and fans wouldn't riot. Especially Nurgle and Khorne!

Or those few votes indicate that most people here collect some of those faction and therefore are not picking them, as the instructions were to pick those that we were not collecting? ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

Or those few votes indicate that most people here collect some of those faction and therefore are not picking them, as the instructions were to pick those that we were not collecting? ;)

Could very well be but then again those that do not collect them could've also voted for them, it's all about satiation I guess. :D Like I said, it's not scientific but I think it's an interesting look at things and helpful in a way - I for one didn't know that Aelves (all kinds) were so beloved. 

5 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

Can I have 2 new vampire factions? I couldn't possibly pick between an update to classic Soulblight vampires and some kind of Vampirates.

Also picked Chaos Dwarfs but that comes with a hefty asterisk. Either give them new scripts and a proper battletome or stop pretending and cut them from the setting completely. I dont think the wierd half space they are in now works for anyone.

Speak for yourself. Having a model range is better than not having a model range in my opinion. I'd of course love a full battletome treatment for the Chaos Dwarves, with new plastic sculpts or just with the existing Resin ones.
I couldn't pick that option though, because I already collect them.

Easy for me: if they ever did the Total War: Warhammer Vampire Coast expansion in a model range, I'd be all over that! 

The leviathans, necrofex ships, rotting prometheans,... It was all so wonderfully done in that DLC. The dreadfleet was already mentioned before, but they were just (uninspiring) rules. 

• Like 2

All i want is new factions to be honest. I think eternally expanding factions into what stormcast eternals are now is really dull to me. You lose all your flare and freshness when factions get to be bloated to the level stormcast are now and will likely continue to be. 

Factions are coolest when they are on the table and bring a true flavor with out pushing expanding to be a jack of all trades army with another skin. 

Vampires is what I want. Fleshed out Soulblight with brand spanking new (and considerably cheaper) Blood Knights, new Vampire lords on foot with thralls and the option to build either female or male versions, progressively more bestial/batlike vampires as other troop options (one could even be a named character, sort of like a vampire lord that's gone too long without feeding or one that's given in to the hunger) and a nice big centerpiece model or terrain piece based on the idea of the Midnight Aristocracy. Let's not forget the endless spells, swarms of bats, creatures forming from mist and waves of blood whatever just take all the troupes and turn the dial way up.

• LOVE IT! 1

Chaos Duardin: We've been waiting since 4th edition. 

Kurnothi Aelves: the miniatures look so cool

Beasts of Chaos: they have great potential, they just have to be BEASTS of chaos not just goats of chaos. Imagine and army with tiger-men, wolf-men, monkey-men, elephant-men, boar-men.... All of them with a chaotic touch.

Just look at this:

426337-Kycb.jpg

Edited by Mungrun
  • Like 1

Personally I don't understand why you have to vote just one on the two options at the end. Obviously they would seem mutually exclusive but my first pick is still redoing old sculpts, but if they don't do that I'd like them to properly expand their new armies and then bar that Kurnothi or Old style Vampires. 

I think locking off those last two is going to make them under represented as people don't want to pick them and give up their other two votes.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:49 AM, MitGas said:

Interesting that Skaven got so few votes; I thought they'd be way higher - and Chaos Duardin are higher up than IO expected!

Well it’s hard to not pick the faction I myself am playing.

And like my name suggests, you can be certain, I would have picked them if it would have been allowed.

anyways in total I actually don’t think the skaven need too many new units.

They’re already huge amount of units you can pick from just seems to be enough, at least for now.

Theres just one small problem, the skaven have, that could be easily fixed with updating their ancient and very costy models, like warpfire throwers, rattling guns, etc. with a plastic and 

much better looking version of them self.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well it’s hard to not pick the faction I myself am playing.

And like my name suggests, you can be certain, I would have picked them if it would have been allowed.

anyways in total I actually don’t think the skaven need too many new units.

They’re already huge amount of units you can pick from just seems to be enough, at least for now.

Theres just one small problem, the skaven have, that could be easily fixed with updating their ancient and very costy models, like warpfire throwers, rattling guns, etc. with a plastic and 

much better looking version of them self.

And I applaud for sticking to the rules. If I had a say, I'd love to see more Skaven (even voted for them!). They're something pretty unique that in my mind is fully linked to Warhammer, more than most other factions, yes-yes! (sorry for that)

And I'd love to see how good a new plastic kit would look like now (same goes for Seraphon). As much as I love Fimir, I didn't vote for them. Totally love their look but other factions are in more dire need...

• Like 1

I would rather GW abandon the outdated one at a time approach entirely, a modernize by doing a spattering of releases across multiple factions each month. I feel this would be much better for MANY aspects of theirs games (balance, diversity, creativity, avoiding bloat and flavor of the month).

6 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I would rather GW abandon the outdated one at a time approach entirely, a modernize by doing a spattering of releases across multiple factions each month. I feel this would be much better for MANY aspects of theirs games (balance, diversity, creativity, avoiding bloat and flavor of the month).

Not sure adding more is a cure for bloat :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Not sure adding more is a cure for bloat :) 

With the one at a time approach, there is expectation of new models for that faction, due to GWs history (the rapid fire modeless releases of the past year have garnered lots of disappointment, and the 4 major Stormcast releases in 3 years drew a lot of ire). Instead of doing 1 army at a time and giving that army 8-10 new units, they could give every faction in the range 3-5 releases a year. Armies that already have tons of stuff to choose from would be on the lesser end, and get more resculpts of old stuff rather than brand new units.

Basically, every faction in the game would get the same amount of new models each year (whether they be new units, or resculpts). There would be no reason to be upset about specific armies taking up release slots. And it would ultimately lead to a more diverse game (people are more likely to play armies with regular support, and less likely to play those that go unsupported for long periods of time).

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

With the one at a time approach, there is expectation of new models for that faction, due to GWs history (the rapid fire modeless releases of the past year have garnered lots of disappointment, and the 4 major Stormcast releases in 3 years drew a lot of ire). Instead of doing 1 army at a time and giving that army 8-10 new units, they could give every faction in the range 3-5 releases a year. Armies that already have tons of stuff to choose from would be on the lesser end, and get more resculpts of old stuff rather than brand new units.

Basically, every faction in the game would get the same amount of new models each year (whether they be new units, or resculpts). There would be no reason to be upset about specific armies taking up release slots. And it would ultimately lead to a more diverse game (people are more likely to play armies with regular support, and less likely to play those that go unsupported for long periods of time).

I agree that regular updates of models would be welcome by most people and there are quite a few aging models out there.  From what I remember, it wasn't necessarily being unsupported for years that was always the problem - it was often dependant on how good your particular army was in the current edition.  When High Elves were a strong faction, I don't recall many players of them asking for a new army book.  Beastmen players, on the other hand, were crying out for one for years.  It's more important to keep each faction on par with the others and it seems that GW have been better recently on faction parity than they used to be.  Also, when there is glaring disparity, we are nowadays looking at changes within a few months and not years.

Perhaps we will see a change once Seraphon have their book, since all existing factions will then have a book created for the same edition, and we may see smaller but more frequent updates.  But, I would prefer them to be mainly sculpt replacements with the odd new faction and occasional new unit for those smaller factions like Fyreslayers.  Each iteration of a game gradually accumulates bloat until it has to be reset.  I'd like this process to be relatively slow when it come to AOS.