The Painting Contract - January 2020

TheOtherJosh

Hi, you can call me Icarus and I like to aim too high. I got more Ork Boyz than sense and have been putting them off because they can be a hassle to paint. Because this month is going to be slow I think I can handle finally finishing my Ork Boyz and clean up my backlog. I pledge to paint;

- 61 Ork Boyz (60 Slugga, 1 Shoota)

- 1 Painboy

- 2 Loonbosses (because I need an AoS model in this list).

It’s a lot, but I have been putting these poor Boyz on hold for a very long time. I have other projects (like my Gloomspite) I want to work on, but I can’t work on them in good faith with these unpainted lads looking back at me.

3CFA60B5-EC94-4168-B4CC-FF1407F168BF.jpeg

3004C15C-5F66-4C92-9EAF-2BAC298D34E6.jpeg

FAC8BCDA-1037-4BD3-BBC9-46FE86036E2C.jpeg

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
  • Like 2

@flemingmma sometimes you have to know when to join the winning side, and when the zombie apocalypse comes, well...

@ThalmorRepresentative same way I do my orruks green skin is what I see. The skin is sprayed mechanicus grey and then washed twice in either seraphim sepia (the yellow and blue in the grey react well to make a washed out green, two thin coats makes it more vibrant) or a green wash. I then highlight with loren forest and a lighter green. So with the crimson, I would probably go one more thin coat, then judiciously highlight with some pinky reds and pinks rather than bold reds or oranges, with a light grey at the very edge. I think it would look sweet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kaaras said:

@ThalmorRepresentative same way I do my orruks green skin is what I see. The skin is sprayed mechanicus grey and then washed twice in either seraphim sepia (the yellow and blue in the grey react well to make a washed out green, two thin coats makes it more vibrant) or a green wash. I then highlight with loren forest and a lighter green. So with the crimson, I would probably go one more thin coat, then judiciously highlight with some pinky reds and pinks rather than bold reds or oranges, with a light grey at the very edge. I think it would look sweet.

Thank you for the suggestion. I shall try this now! 

What I built today:

jPXwV24.jpg

Trying to get all of my christmas stuff built except the Wyldwood before Saturday to prime everything over the weekend. Not sure if I'm actually going to paint any of it this weekend, but it never hurts to have choices :).

I have three boxes of Spite-Revs left to build. 

Also will be ordering all of the basing material I'll require for my Sylvaneth and Deepkin bases. I'll be aiming to improve my method of water bases, adding waves and what not. For Sylvaneth, I've got some ideas for a variety of cool bases for my seasonal warbands within the greater army. We shall see!

• Like 2

This sounds awesome! I've just discovered it but I'd love to get involved.

For January, I pledge to paint up two more Fell Bats (bringing the swarm to three) and... a converted Coven Throne. (Both for my Necrarch-themed Soulblight.)

Where's the contract, and how much blood do you need? I sign in blood, right?

Here's the first of the bats...

Fell Bat2.jpg

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
  • Like 4

A bit late, but ready and eager to get hobbying again this month after all of December's holiday activities and travel!

The last couple months of contracts have helped me plow through a good chunk of my Stormcast backlog, so it's time to get down to business with one of the centerpiece models I've been waiting on. So for the month of January, all of my focus is gonna be on finishing a single model to the best of my ability:

Celestant-Prime

Even if I just finish that to my own satisfaction, I'll call it a win. It's a big, super-detailed model! However, if I finish early, I'll aim for the following:

Celestar Ballista with Crew
Chronomantic Cogs
Quicksilver Swords
Umbral Spellportal

Good luck to everyone with your hobby goals this month, and for 2020 as a whole!

Army Update!

So, I've acquired the last few kits that I need to complete my Deepkin lists. 

With the Christmas loot I received, my sylvaneth list are now officially complete. So, I'm done acquiring new stuff and shall be focused on painting what I have. I've also placed an order with Green Stuff World (huge order) for all of the basing materials I need + some of their special paints, which I have some ideas for. 

I hope to make some major progress before the Hysh Aelves drop!!!
My new short term goals are thus:

1) Collect Hysh Aelves when they release

2) Build a small Sisters of Battle force - 500-750 points

Lofty goals, but we shall see!

UPoa03d.jpg

LnyZLmf.jpg

Sorry for the weird angle on the last pic! I'm going to have to go back and touch up all the models in that box. I primed from a strange angle and the primer didn't cover the front as well as I thought it did.

This month I'm hoping to build & paint a Bull Centaur Taur'ruk for a friend

I'm also hoping to undercoat and then paint 10 freeguild greatswords and start making a little dent in my free cities army.

If I can manage those my stretch goals would be quite frankly to get anything else painted ;)

The plan for this month:

- Painting the Cypher Lords based on the colours of Evil-Lyn from Masters of the Universe.

- Finishing the Shattered Stormvault terrain set

- Building either The Unmade or Corvus Cabal or Splintered Fangs warband. I'll let fate decide on which one.

I have all 3 boxes waiting for me, unopened and in plain sight. I have a system. I buy 3 or 4 sets at once, but I can open only one. The next one only gets opened when the first one is 100% finished. Keeps me motivated to build and paint stuff instead of collecting a ton of grey plastic...

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I work away so don't get a lot of time to paint so I'm going to set myself a realistic target. I was bought the Feast of bones box and a Gorthizzar Harvester for Xmas so this month my plan is to assemble and paint the 10 man Mortek Guard squad which came with feast of bones to give myself a chance to test out the paint scheme I want to use. I'll also be creating custom bases for these models set in a lava setting (Dead dudes coming from hell kind of theme) so that will take some time to get right.

If I get time I may also assemble the Harvester because it's a cool looking model.

Also my first time so start small and aim high I reckon :) 

Edited by KhaosOP