Favorite Model of 2019

Forrix

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

It's an awesome model! 

Not model of the year material though in my opinion. The sheer size of the 40k fanbase gave Abbadon the win. 

edit:I am glad someone is pointing out on the page that they should make separate polls. 

Edited by shinros

I feel like , while Abbaddon is a perfectly serviceable model, it's not any better than any of the other new marines. I think this is mostly trading on the popularity of the character. He naturally has a huge following, and any new model of him was going to be a major event. However going by the actual quality of the artwork itself i'm dubious, we git so much really creative and different stuff last year. We got so much stuff that really captured classic themes in a new and creative way. I don't think this does that. I don't even think it is the most chaos y chaos space marine they did this year. I will grant though that it exemplifies the classic look of the faction in unprecedented detail, but that should be standard at this point.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 10:02 PM, Kamose said:

I know she's 40k and not AoS, but I had to go with Severina Raine. But then I'm biased since I did just paint her up to be my wife's avatar in the game. 😊

If I had to pick an AoS model I would pick the Rockgut Troggoths. They are gorgeous sculpts that are practically oozing character and story.  I love the little birds and rocks-as-hats and the expression one has looking at a grot he's holding up. You can almost hear the tiny,  rusty gears turning and you can sense the inevitable moment when those gears will lock up. Then the Troggoths, curiosity unsatisfied will gulp down that sad, little grot. It's great! 😁

20191223_001946.jpg

Love that model. I genuinely want to add a human element to my dwarven cities of sigmar army. 

for me it was Shalaxi. The grace of the pose, the reimagining and the details Without crowding the model come together brilliantly. Might have to make that model the avatar of my girlfriend ;) 

Edited by Kramer

Katakros landing a 2nd place even when being from the less played game and also from a faction with very polarizing opinions on aestethics in general, goes to prove how great this particular model is, while Abbaddon is carried mostly in popularity and nostalgia being an update and not an entirely new thing.

Katakros does a series of things that makes it stand out:

- It is the first of an entirely new way of miniatures by GW being a diorama in itself, with Sisters following the trend in 2020.

- It tells a story very well. Being a mini diorama obviously helps here too, but few models explains so much about their personality, how they operate and fight all in one.

The mangler squig is up there in that regard too I think, but the pose of Katakros not only explains much about him compared to his legions, but also reflects real work art like the statue of David, which also reflects on Nagash who sculpted this form to him and the faction as a whole.  His companions also display how the faction fight and operates, showing espionage, battle plans and inspiration all being relevant and setting the Bonereapers apart from all other death factions. How many models tell you this much about the army they belong to all by itself?

- This is not entirely based just on the appearance, but the model does something new not only in being a diorama unit, but also functioning quite different than what we are used to from big models. As such it represents a lot of interesting new aspects of GW model making and design and rules implementation all in one and deserves a top spot.