Favorite Model of 2019

Forrix

1 hour ago, pseudonyme said:

Katakros. But it’s the Sister of battle one that will win because of nostalgia.

You mean insert literally anything 40k here because for some reason they make AoS models go against 40k models in a popularity contest despite 40k having 5 times more players... Why they don’t have fantasy model of the year a separate thing is beyond me... It will never not be 40k

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Zanzou said:

You mean insert literally anything 40k here because for some reason they make AoS models go against 40k models in a popularity contest despite 40k having 5 times more players... Why they don’t have fantasy model of the year a separate thing is beyond me... It will never not be 40k

Yes and no. Yes because 40k seems to have a larger fan base. No because I think that last year proved that a little model, released at the end of the year, won by pure Nostalgia. How could this noise marine could ever beat the Morathi release is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Yes and no. Yes because 40k seems to have a larger fan base. No because I think that last year proved that a little model, released at the end of the year, won by pure Nostalgia. How could this noise marine could ever beat the Morathi release is beyond me.

Because of all the space/fantasy marines, the noise marine has the most character. I got one for my then-girlfriend.

If I were limited to 40k, he'd be high on my list, probably on top. This is not nostalgia for me, as I wasn't even playing when it was released.

Edited by zilberfrid

Katakros.

There have been lots of great models recently, and much innovation to bring them to us. Katakros is a step beyond. Not only is he a great sculpt and tells a story on his own, but he manages to add a totally new thing to the hobby - a full-on diorama that also works in-game.

For years individual hobbyists have overdone gaming models, trading their actual function for "ooo, ahh" form and defeating the actual point of using models in a game and not just as a shelf decoration.

Katakros beautifully merges the two competing goals. Again, a true innovation and a real step forward for Warhammer. As nice as many of the other models are, none actually broaden the scope of miniature gaming in the way Katakros does. Because of this unique contribution to the hobby, he gets my vote.

• Like 3

I'd actually argue that the new Sisters of Battle diorama goes a step further than Katakros. Katakros is fantastic, but he's a very static pose and diorama. The new Sisters of Battle one is a fully mobile scene which I think really fits a wargame far better because it is going to move over the battlefield during the game. 

• Like 1

I know she's 40k and not AoS, but I had to go with Severina Raine. But then I'm biased since I did just paint her up to be my wife's avatar in the game. 😊

If I had to pick an AoS model I would pick the Rockgut Troggoths. They are gorgeous sculpts that are practically oozing character and story.  I love the little birds and rocks-as-hats and the expression one has looking at a grot he's holding up. You can almost hear the tiny,  rusty gears turning and you can sense the inevitable moment when those gears will lock up. Then the Troggoths, curiosity unsatisfied will gulp down that sad, little grot. It's great! 😁

20191223_001946.jpg

• Like 2

Has to be the Dankhold or Zarbag. The Dankhold is just a beautiful kit, especially with that Duardin statue hammer. I like them because they feel like a walking ecosystem, an embodiment of the GG’s home. Terrain isn’t always representative of a faction, like I can’t imagine Freeguild living in Azyrite ruins (before they were ruins), so it’s cool having these walking micro environments to have the Gitz bring their home with them.

Zarbag is a brilliant reimagining of the Madcap shamans, looks like the old art brought to life. As someone who owns a few of the old metal ones, Zarbag feels like what they should be. I love his little Navi lamp, the cauldron of mushrooms he is gathering, the manic look. A quintessential goblin without getting too busy like the Fungoid.