Static board - FINISHED

Attackmack

Hey fellas, I need some input. Im working on the frame and will sand it down and smooth it out tomorrow but im trying to figure out what color to go for? And right now Im even contemplating just putting some clear coat on it and leaving it wooden.

If you have any thoughts about it please share with me, i was hoping on getting the frame completely finished this weekend!

7QHlpgC.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 10:05 PM, Attackmack said:

So there it is, the finished board! Just need to put a nail in the wall and I have myself a painting :)

The frame came out decent but im gonna need to change or paint over the visible screws but Ill get around to that eventually, when it bothered me enough!

52xyeGk.jpg

pKqleWs.jpg

eCItppV.jpg

So bloody cool!! 😍

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 5:22 PM, bonhommes_ said:

Wow amazing work, truly inspiring. Would you mind sharing what brand/colours of flock you used?

Also, did you end up brushing on thinned PVA with a brush to seal in the flock?

For the flocks I mostely used Gale Force 9s various flocks, those little round containers with various blends. I dont recall exactly which ones but a darker tone underneat and more vibrant ones on top. Like when painting highlights but with flock!

I also might have used a little of Army Painters, and also I used some of my own DIY clump foilage which is just grinded up foam soaked in various tones of green to get some thicker moss like growths.

When finished I mixed PVA and water, 50-50 or even closer to 25-75 to get it really thin and dabbed/painted it on. Be careful when dabbing it on and dont go over the same area twice as you will scrub off the flock when its become wet as it comes loose easily. It took a few coats (and several days as drying time was horrible!) but after 3-4 times it becomes very sturdy and no flock is scrubbing off!

On 9/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, Cambot1231 said:

Great work! What product did you go with for the water effect? 

I used Vallejo Still Water. Its a clear fluid that comes in a bottle and can be mixed with paint or washes to give it some color if preferred.

It does shrink a good amount when drying and requires several coats even for very thin areas, and deeper pockets will take 5-10 or even more depending on the depth.T o be honest, its only good for really thin and small applications and was kind of a pain to use here. Atm im planning a 40k table and if I will be applying water effects to it I will look into better options.

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Great work, got to imagine how fun it'd be to play on that board. 

The idea of hanging it up like a picture for storage is a great idea also. Do you know how heavy it is and what wall mounting you'll be using?

Thanks, it sure adds to the excitement playing on a detailed board :)

I havent weighted the board but I estimate it 6-7 kg. I have a plaster wall with hardboard behind so I put a thick sturdy ****** through and it holds the board without issues! But even a regular plaster wall with a plug would probably do but if in doubt I would use something designed for the task since I dont want the board with all its spikes falling down on me when im underneat :D