Static board - FINISHED

Attackmack

I decided to build a static board for Warcry just because its fun modelling and I dont really care a lot for the terrain deck/setup.

This board will be framed when ready and made to hang on the wall as a painting, effectively removing the need for storage.

Ox6ZsOi.jpg

Edited by Attackmack
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Nice work keep showing the WIP. Iv’e been toying with the idea of making two static tables my self. A fire one and and icy one. Not sure I will get around to do it anytime soon but static tables just make for a faster gameplay a thing most welcomed for Warcry.

Ya ill throw up a picture every now and then, hoping to get most of it done over the holidays and then probably be a paus before I can gather what I need for flocking etc.

Faster setup and gameplay is key for me as well, as well as a good solid terrain to play on. I toyed around with magnets at first, with a sheet of metal underneat the board. Bluetac would do the same but with less finesse I guess! But eventually I just decided I dont need it modular. So its a nice little hobby project at a scale I can really appreciate! And if it works out ill have a nice "painting" to hang on the wall as well!

Ice and fire boards sound great, especially ice! I have always wanted to build ice and snow terrain but never had a game/army to fit and also felt intimidated by the process. But who knows, maybe ill eventually do another board for Warcry ;)

13 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Nice job! I think that an ‘arena’ would work wonders for Warcry, with fallen pillars and spike traps and such. Could be a fun experiment for myself someday!

An "arena" would be absolutely perfect for Warcry, especially with the Splintered Fang! I would make the stands and pits part of the board as well, make it look like an arena event where everything went overboard and the fighters took over the entire facility! With lots of bloody corpses modelled into the scenery 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Attackmack said:

Ya ill throw up a picture every now and then, hoping to get most of it done over the holidays and then probably be a paus before I can gather what I need for flocking etc.

Faster setup and gameplay is key for me as well, as well as a good solid terrain to play on. I toyed around with magnets at first, with a sheet of metal underneat the board. Bluetac would do the same but with less finesse I guess! But eventually I just decided I dont need it modular. So its a nice little hobby project at a scale I can really appreciate! And if it works out ill have a nice "painting" to hang on the wall as well!

Ice and fire boards sound great, especially ice! I have always wanted to build ice and snow terrain but never had a game/army to fit and also felt intimidated by the process. But who knows, maybe ill eventually do another board for Warcry ;)

An "arena" would be absolutely perfect for Warcry, especially with the Splintered Fang! I would make the stands and pits part of the board as well, make it look like an arena event where everything went overboard and the fighters took over the entire facility! With lots of bloody corpses modelled into the scenery 🤣

What do you mean ‘take over’? It’s chaos! Corpses should be there anyways. The sword holes make perfect cup holders with a good bit of work!

plus I can think of at least 5 or 6 convergence or challenge missions that use the arena set up, so it could be used fairly often.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

What do you mean ‘take over’? It’s chaos! Corpses should be there anyways. The sword holes make perfect cup holders with a good bit of work!

plus I can think of at least 5 or 6 convergence or challenge missions that use the arena set up, so it could be used fairly often.

True, true :D 

Thinking about it...I was gonna du flocking with soil and grass to give a bit of color, but looking at the board now I wonder if it wouldnt be better to do mud and water? Almost like a swamp or very worn down ground?

ive worked a little with resin water effect previously and think i can pull it off.

thoughts?

On 12/24/2019 at 1:09 PM, Attackmack said:

Thinking about it...I was gonna du flocking with soil and grass to give a bit of color, but looking at the board now I wonder if it wouldnt be better to do mud and water? Almost like a swamp or very worn down ground?

ive worked a little with resin water effect previously and think i can pull it off.

thoughts?

Looking really good so far. I think if you can do it, mud/swamp would look excellent amidst the ruins, and tie in nicely with your wood effects.

In a completely apartment ruining event ive begun flocking the board. When dry much of it will come off making the green not so vibrant as it will start to show the autumn mix underneath.

Then I will add some mud texture and some undergrowth and bushes as well as some mold/fungus on the ruins themselves before finally applying the water effect over certain areas.

So this is far from finished but just a WIP pic :D

edit: Oh, and blood of course! Gonna add lots of blood!

M2RSL85.jpg

Edited by Attackmack
  • Like 14
  • LOVE IT! 2

Tnx everyone! So far im very happy with the result, the board looks good and the colors stand out without looking to cartooney.

While waiting for the water effect to arrive, which might take some time with the holidays and such, ill put some weathering and blood details on it. Also gonna get a suitable frame for it when im back up and about at work.

While waiting for my water effects to arrive Ive noticed the flocking and underscrubs on the board seem to not be fixed enough. Some of it comes off rather easy, and it feels as with usage it will shed more flocking than I will accept. I need to fix it more.

Ive restrained from using any more watered down PVA, a superb method otherwise but it will get onto the ruins and leave marks. I could mask off everything else and go nuts with it but to make it easy I was planning on getting another can of spray on varnish and just soak the damn thing in it. Focusing on the ground, what spray gets onto the ruins wont leave anything noticable.

But will this work? Anyone has experience with it?

1 hour ago, Fairbanks said:

It looks very nice! Be sure to give it plenty of time to dry.

Do you have a quick list of all the paints you used?

Yeah, the still water is a pain as it shrinks and retracts quite a bit so ill have to give it several layers before it smooths out and covers properly. And in the little "wells" its even worse as ill have to add 2-3mm at a time until it finally reaches the top. Add too much and it dries with holes and gaps in it :/

Still water from vallejo is readily available at my local store so I went with it, if I ever do water effects of this size again I will look into two-part clear epoxy as it seems much easier to work with and dries much better. Nontheless, Ive been applying layers when applicable and right now I think it might be only one or maybe two more until its done!

Ive not kept track of what colors ive used TBH, but its almost exclusively GW paints and shades, and ive really gotten fond of their contrast paints. Its not magic but used at the right time it sure is a timesaver!

Overall I THINK the base colors are roughly as follows:

Stone: Space Wolves Grey Contrast, watered down, painted straight on top of the black/white zenithal primer.

Boards: A light grey with agrax earthshade and drybrushed with ever lighter shades of brown.

Wood: Wyldwood brown contrast paint, light brown and ushbanti bone drybrush.

Metals: Leadbelcher, typhus corrotion, ryza rust.

Hope it helps if there was anything in particular you were looking for!

• Thanks 1

I wont label the project as finished until ive gotten the frame fitted...But its more or less finished! All painting is done and the water effects finished and all thats left to do is give it another thin coat of varnish and then put the frame on it and hang it on the wall! 

I think the water came out convincing enough for a wargaming table, and while there is always something more one could add as details Im very happy with how it all came out! For being a relatively quick project I couldnt be happier :)

Pics

2YYp9Fw.jpg

LfKL79A.jpg

prZSlYe.jpg

5f0RjLw.jpg

t8Drx4H.jpg

Y2X5fvh.jpg

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 4