Stacking effects and explodes

Scurvydog

Question

I apologize if this has been brought up, but I can't seem to find a reply to this questions, so if there is, please let me know.

My questions concerns multiple effects triggering under the same conditions, like exploding hits or mortal wound effects.

A specific example which I am wondering about currently is a Drakesworn Templar with a Stormlance who takes the Sword of Judgement.

The Stormlance rules:

If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made
with a Stormlance that targets a MONSTER is
6, that attack inflicts D6 mortal wounds on the
target and the attack sequence ends (do not make
a wound or save roll).

And the Sword of Judgements for reference:

Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons to be a
Sword of Judgement. If the hit roll for an attack
with that weapon against a HERO or MONSTER
is 6+, that attack inflicts D6 mortal wounds
and the attack sequence ends (do not make a
wound or save roll).

I have seen designer commentary before on similar things, such as multiple sources of exploding hits on 6s resulting in stacking hits, this is for example directly addressed as a commentary in the Orruk Warclans book for the bonesplitterz, with multiple sources providing exploding hits on 6s.

Does this apply to the example above? 

5 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

What happens for a model getting extra hits on a 6, but also for example dealing a mortal wound for each 6 to hit, does those extra hits count as 6s too, or just as "a regular hit". Effects resulting in the attack sequence ending also messes up some of these things, although I suspect it would just be the sequence for that single hit, while the extra generated hits are now treated as entirely separate.

An example of this exact scenario is in the Designer's Commentary for Maggotkin of Nurgle:

Q: What happens if the Blighted Weapons ability is combined with the Blades of Putrefaction spell? Do I inflict D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6+?
A: No. The 6+ roll simply triggers both effects – therefore you inflict D6 hits (roll to wound and save normally), and 1 mortal wound in addition to any other damage.

Edit - There's also a general case clarification in the Designer's Commentary for the Core Rules:

Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example, a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6 mortal wounds?
A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each effect is triggered once. For this example, this means that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other hit normally).

Edited by Kadeton
  • Thanks 2

This is the commentary in the Orruk book:

Extra Hits: Several abilities allow
BONESPLITTERZ units to score 2
hits instead of 1 on an unmodified
hit roll of 6. If two or more such
abilities apply at the same time, you
score 1 extra hit for each ability.
For example, if two such abilities
applied to a unit, it would score 3
hits for each unmodified 6 (1 for
the hit, plus 2 for the two abilities).
If three such abilities applied to a
unit, it would score 4 hits for each
unmodified 6, and so on.

That does make it sound intended that multiple effects can happen and/or stack. 

Another thing I am wondering is exploding hits combined with effects on for example 6s to hit. What happens for a model getting extra hits on a 6, but also for example dealing a mortal wound for each 6 to hit, does those extra hits count as 6s too, or just as "a regular hit". Effects resulting in the attack sequence ending also messes up some of these things, although I suspect it would just be the sequence for that single hit, while the extra generated hits are now treated as entirely separate.

If there are more sources or insight into these types of mechanics I would love to see them, especially if there are references to rules, as there are some discussions going around in my gaming group concerning these things.

4 hours ago, Kadeton said:

An example of this exact scenario is in the Designer's Commentary for Maggotkin of Nurgle:

Q: What happens if the Blighted Weapons ability is combined with the Blades of Putrefaction spell? Do I inflict D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6+?
A: No. The 6+ roll simply triggers both effects – therefore you inflict D6 hits (roll to wound and save normally), and 1 mortal wound in addition to any other damage.

Edit - There's also a general case clarification in the Designer's Commentary for the Core Rules:

Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example, a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6 mortal wounds?
A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each effect is triggered once. For this example, this means that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other hit normally).

Great this was what I was missing and explains it. This is what I was expecting and have been playing with, but nice to see the raw and source, thank you.