Making sense of the Mourngul...

Thamalys

I have just got myself a Mourngul model from ForgeWorld: it looks fantastic and it'll make a nice addition to my Nighthaunt army.

Having had a good look at its warscroll, though, I came up with a couple of filthy interesting ideas revolving around including a Mourngul in both a generic Death army as well as in a Legion of Blood army. Is that even allowed, I asked myself. There are a few (if a bit dated) threads about this here, and we have the latest (July 2019) GW Designers' Commentary on the Legions of Nagash as well. As far as I understand it, this is what we have as we speak:

- The Mourngul can be taken in a Nighthaunt army, no problem - it has the NIGHTHAUNT keyword after all.

- The Mourngul can be taken in a generic Death army, no problem - anything with the DEATH keyword would work here...

- The Mourngul cannot be taken in a Legion of Blood army, not even as an ally, as the above mentioned Designers' Commentary rather cleary states that:

Q: Can a Mourngul be taken in a Legions of Nagash army?

A: No. It can be taken in Death and Nighthaunt armies, and as an ally by a Soulblight army.

I am not going to loose my sleep over this one, but I'd admit it does bother me quite a bit. As a start, both Azyr and Warscroll Builder are quite happy to let me include a Mourngul in a Legion of Blood build. Ok, ok, the apps are nothing and all that, but still. Then, this amazingly odd rule is in direct contradiction with the Picthed Battle Profiles published in the Legions of Nagash battletome:

Legion of Blood Allies: Fleash-eater Courts, Nighthaunt

The Mourngul does  have the NIGHTHAUNT keyword, so why oh why he alone within the entire Nighthaunt range wouldn't be allow to sit in a Legion of Blood build?! Note that this rule about allies has never being FAQ'd itself, so I really don't get it.

Have I missed something? What do people think?

11 minutes ago, Platypus said:

My personal opinion is that the FAQ isn't updated on that point. The LoN FAQ also claim that the Sepulchral Guard warband can't be taken in a LoN army, which isn't true since GHB2019.

Thanks - where about in the GHB2019 was the Sepulchral Guard fixed? 

Turns out a new LoN Errata is imminent, so maybe they’re going to fix the Mourngul issue after all... we’ll see.

18 hours ago, Platypus said:

I would just go with the ally list and warscroll keyword in this case. I don't think anyone would have any problems with that, but check with TOs before entering any tournaments.

Darn... we just got the new LoN errata, and the one line concerning the Mourngul still stand: as such, I don't think we can bring this guy in LoB after all. Uff...

The FAQ document wasn’t uodated, it still has a July 2019 timestamp. The errata document was updated. It’s best to drop a line about this to aosfaq@gwplc.com about this, I’m doing that myself since it’s unclear what Nagash’s and Arkhan’s points are after the errata. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Platypus said:

The FAQ document wasn’t uodated, it still has a July 2019 timestamp. The errata document was updated. It’s best to drop a line about this to aosfaq@gwplc.com about this, I’m doing that myself since it’s unclear what Nagash’s and Arkhan’s points are after the errata. 

Well spotted, mate - thanks! Yes, I believe that an email is definitely in order at this point...

8 hours ago, Neinball said:

This particular portion of the FAQ was created when LoN only had FEC as allies.  LoN can now ally in Nighthaunt units, I don’t think anyone with common sense would bar you from using it as an ally.

Thanks!

I’ve emailed GW... but in the meantime, I’ll have fun with some Mourngul-based LoB list building!