Purchase flat objective markers?

Kasper

5 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

That's the company I was thinking of.

Joe sorry to hear about that experience.  

Don't sweat it, Gary. Wasn't your fault at all. You ran a fabulous event. There are some things I'd do differently, of course, but then again I feel like I sometimes want to tell Drew Breese how to improve his throwing motion. 😉

On this topic, I would suggest disallowing 12" diameter markers on the tables. It really does clash with the aesthetic. Yes, it makes certain game mechanics easier to handle, but at too great a cost to the hobby element of the game. 

Just a suggestion based on opinion.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Nice! Any way to get them in Europe? (Without paying a gazillion in shipping and then a gazillion at customs...)

They are european based (From Spain) . They shouldn't charge you that much for shipping. You can always try to add them to your cart and see how much they charge you. I have no problems buying things in UK based stores being from spain. The shipping isn't really that much expensive compared with spain and the difference in prices is always worth it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galas said:

I play with these after being gifted to me for attending a tournament of this store.

https://banduawargames.com/es/exclusivos-web/39878-6-acrylic-areas.html

I have no affiliation with them. But they don't distract from the game. 

Looks pretty good and subtle. What kind of material are they made of, hard plastic? 

16 hours ago, relic456 said:

Yup, though I think there are a few battleplans that do within 3" of an objective (ex. Duality of Death).

https://www.gamemat.eu/en/terrain/mousepad-terrain/2d-zones.html

Gamemat.eu has a less optimal solution that would work for some playmats but definitely not all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Objective-Marker-AoS-Set-8-x12-Circles-3-x6-Circles-Warhammer/254334445500?hash=item3b3783a7bc:m:m_OF8Vscpf3YvQN_wuTP-Tg

This guy is selling a bunch on eBay, though $100 USD seems pricy but you get 8x12" and 3x6" objectives.

I honestly wonder how much it would be to just send a custom design to someone and have some made up using an image that's visually consistent with your favorite game mat. Might have some copyright issues?

Yeah but from what I recall the majority of objectives are captured within 6". It would be nice to have 8 of the 6" radius and 4 of the 3" radius. 

I was afraid of it getting too pricy if custom made. But if one was to supply some magical/rune/summoning pattern for them to print it could be okay I guess. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

Why just not an empty circle with one line through the middle with an exact dot. If made from metal it good be thin, cheap and close to no obstruction. Would be hard to not make it immersion breaking. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. It could be very minimal and obstruct very little of the table this way. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Psst.

Here's the thing.

You can just use a tape measurer.

You certainly can, and for casual games a tape measure would work perfectly fine.  It just sometimes ends up like the old blast/flame templates, where people are arguing over who is within range to capture an objective because the measurements are imprecise or if the marker got moved or models are bumped.

In a tournament setting I would prefer having the flat objectives to minimize the chance of arguing, instead we have a set defined area and it's easy to determine if you're within range to capture an objective.

That being said, I do agree that most of the objectives people use are obnoxious and ruin the aesthetic, which is why I went with the "summoning circle" style, so that it could be almost anywhere and looks good on 90% of tables (IMHO lava tables is where it looks off).

But really, it's no different than people who base their army with a snow theme, and end up playing in a lush forest table.

20 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Don't sweat it, Gary. Wasn't your fault at all. You ran a fabulous event. There are some things I'd do differently, of course, but then again I feel like I sometimes want to tell Drew Breese how to improve his throwing motion. 😉

On this topic, I would suggest disallowing 12" diameter markers on the tables. It really does clash with the aesthetic. Yes, it makes certain game mechanics easier to handle, but at too great a cost to the hobby element of the game. 

Just a suggestion based on opinion.

Thanks for the compliments and I get it - there are some things I'd do differently each year and I supposedly run the thing!

I hear your point about immersion but I also think it's a pretty broad based hobby with lots of flavors of gamers.   Some people really look at it as a chess like endeavor where aesthetics aren't important.   Others have been burned by a last turn argument over who can score or not and want absolute clarity on the game state for both participants.

I'm not sure what the right approach is for each of us individually  - but I think when in doubt in terms of running an event you allow players who want to use a technology that maximizes  game state clarity and minimize arguments to go  with it.    But I also think it makes sense to keep the rules pack silent about a lot of 'smaller' things that players can decide for themselves .

9 hours ago, Ethriel said:

It just sometimes ends up like the old blast/flame templates, where people are arguing over who is within range to capture an objective because the measurements are imprecise or if the marker got moved or models are bumped.

In all the games I've played so far, including at events, I've yet to encounter an argument.

I have been using poster putty in home games to stick the markers down. That's easy enough.

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

In all the games I've played so far, including at events, I've yet to encounter an argument.

I have been using poster putty in home games to stick the markers down. That's easy enough.

The real upside about "scoring zones" is that they provide an additional measuring tool for the players. They can really speed things up when you want to block off an objective with a unit, which should be desirable in the context of a tournament.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Oh, I see the advantage for sure, but for me, personally, they are a step too far away from the visual appeal that is so critical to the complete experience.

Even if the marker would be transparent so you could see the board beneath or maybe with some magical runes or whatever that could indicate a point of interest? I completely understand a fat mousepad-like marker with some company print being irritating.

• 3 months later...

I remember a lot of people used various things like this in my area back when I played more Warmachine.  Most people that I know picked up appropriately sized metal rings that they could lay on the table to define an area rather than a big flat marker.  You can often find them in craft stores and they are pretty cheap.  Here is a quick amazon search for some:

https://www.amazon.com/Sntieecr-Macrame-Wedding-Catcher-Hanging/dp/B07Y87FPLH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=12"+metal+ring&qid=1585081821&sr=8-4

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just made a bunch of these. They are 1mm thin plasctic.  12" across, 3" circle in the middle. Transparent.

I hope these will be better than all the 3mm neoprene circles that are on the market. They sit nicely on a battlemat, and you can easily place your terrain on top.

If people are interested, I might be able to make some more.

20200518_175414.jpg

Edit: I have made a bunch more and a few more different sized ones from requests. These are great because they are transparent and sit nicely on a battle mat without interfering with the general aesthetic of the table. When I peeled back the protector to draw the circle, I let the ink dry then placed the protection back so they don't get scratched. See the other photo.

20200526_145152.jpg

Edited by Boggler
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got six transparent 12" discs for £20 including postage by getting them made at https://www.perspexsheet.uk/

They've been really good so far, I didn't realise how much faster/easier that would make planning around objectives until I played with them. Only thing they need is something adding to mark the centre point imo. 

IMG_20191120_181337.jpg

Edited by Warheadsbylink
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:50 AM, Boggler said:

I just made a bunch of these. They are 1mm thin plasctic.  12" across, 3" circle in the middle. Transparent.

I hope these will be better than all the 3mm neoprene circles that are on the market. They sit nicely on a battlemat, and you can easily place your terrain on top.

20200518_175414.jpg

Edit: I have made a bunch more and a few more different sized ones from requests. These are great because they are transparent and sit nicely on a battle mat without interfering with the general aesthetic of the table. When I peeled back the protector to draw the circle, I let the ink dry then placed the protection back so they don't get scratched. See the other photo.

20200526_145152.jpg

These would be amazing if they had magical tunes along the outer edge!

On 12/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, Sleboda said:

I recently played against someone who used giant flat objective markers. It completely destroyed any sense of immersion and contributed to that being one of the least fun games of AoS I've ever played.

I absolutely agree. They started to use these things in my club. The battlefields are now full with 6", 12" markers with personal flavor prints.

At this point we might even remove the battlemats and play on a flat black surface.

It must be really difficult to measure 6" from a centerpoint

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 3:50 PM, Boggler said:

20200518_175414.jpg

20200526_145152.jpg

How did you make these? Print them, what materials?