AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

11 minutes ago, TaurielBlack said:

Niiiice, going to play him in the Host or just getting him to paint up? Cause he's a very sweet model indeed🤘 👍

To paint and play. Though won't be building him or any of my S2D I've just bought until I'm done painting my Custodes...I should get on that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Gold spray, Seraphon Sepia wash and they‘re done :D

I wish ahah. I go very a very dark goal theme on my dudes that looks worn. Then lots of silver and blue.

Need to figure out a color scheme for the S2D army though. Want to do something quick maybe statue-ish with a blue or red fade to it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charlo said:

What is a nice alternative big beasty to use for a War Mammoth - GW kits only.

And not the LotR Mumak! :P

You could use the lower part of a Soulgrinder / Defiler and make it more like a mechanical spider. Or the Gloomspite Gitz Big Spider.

Hi Guys,

little question: How do you hammer damage into your enemies? I really have issues to find some sort of hammer for the army. Anything I tried so far (DP´s, Soul Grinder, Slaughterbrute, Knights) has quite a low impact, especially compared to other armies. I somehow end up in many games with the weird and bad feeling that S2D simply lacks some good damage units when Comparing to others. So, what has worked out for you?

On 3/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, Da Bid Dabid said:

My list is also kinda close to this. Note the quoted list is illegal because Godsworn battalion requires 4 units and they only have 3. I think my version is actual stronger if you drop the endless spells and upgrade one sorcerer into Be'lakor... but the endless spells are fun and for this list thematically I don't dig Be'lakor in my army.

pHaC2w6.jpg

What's your thoughts on a block of marauders? As the pseudo "hammer" or would you rather keep your knights?

Definitely having a warshrine, cant wait to get one converted up.

Not been this motivated to get a table ready army despite Papa Nurgle blessing the world!

57 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Hi Guys,

little question: How do you hammer damage into your enemies? I really have issues to find some sort of hammer for the army. Anything I tried so far (DP´s, Soul Grinder, Slaughterbrute, Knights) has quite a low impact, especially compared to other armies. I somehow end up in many games with the weird and bad feeling that S2D simply lacks some good damage units when Comparing to others. So, what has worked out for you?

Marauders. Also, DPs do have great damage potential, but you have to use them together with other units (otherwise they'll get surrounded and destroyed) or use their great movement to go for something far in the back.

You could give Chosen a chance, too. While they need some support (they are paper-thin), they can dish some good damage, on top of some mortal wounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Hi Guys,

If you can teleport a block of Chosen behind enemy lines they can smash through most things. A unit  of Varangaurd buffed by Archaon on the table allowing +1 to hit and Reroll 1 to wound and to hit against an enemy are pretty brutal as well 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

Hi Guys,

Four Units can do it:

Mammoth, Archaon, 40 Marauders and a Karkadrak with a -2 rend artefact on his axe. 

most of our damage comes from the Nurgle and his battallion. Sadly all of the rest is lacking. 😕

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Four Units can do it:

Mammoth, Archaon, 40 Marauders and a Karkadrak with a -2 rend artefact on his axe. 

most of our damage comes from the Nurgle and his battallion. Sadly all of the rest is lacking. 😕

You have also access to lots of Endless Spells/damaging spells and our allies options have loads of variety. I also like the manticore (especially with the sorcerer lord) - a very deadly mobile artillery with great movement, decent damage, good survivability and a great antihorde spell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charleston said:

Hi Guys,

Options to consider:

Allies.  Run Khorne and add in a Bloodsecrator for the +1 attack aura, and then maybe also a unit of wrathmongers for another +1 attack aura.  I will say, a block of warriors actually feel slightly worth their points when they get +1 attack (also, re-roll wounds from a bloodstoker is nice).  Alternatively, just grab a big beatstick from one of your available allies even if they don't synergize with what the rest of your army is doing.

Archaon.  The beatstick to end all beatsticks, Archaon is a solid hammer to the mostly anvil of the rest of the slaves to darkness lineup.  Is he worth 800 points?  That is a bit more questionable.  But at least he can hit stuff hard.

Varanguard.  However, lets be more specific.  Varanguard of the 6th circle, rocking some buffs.  Outside of the 6th circle a unit of varanguard does kind of mediocre damage.  But if you give them the 6th circle buffs, they become actual decent beatsticks.  And by decent, I mean that if you can give them re-roll hits and wounds, with the nurgle buff and the 6th circle buff you can triple their damage output vs not having those buffs.  Something to think about.

Marauders.  Quite simply, even if they are a bit glass cannony, marauders are the highest damage output option of any of the available options in the book.  Even better if you can get some buffs on them.

Basically every other option that you can go with is... kinda lacking on the damage front.  To be frank, too much of the models value is priced into "what can this do when fully buffed up", without taking into account that being fully buffed up is kinda unreliable.  Full re-rolls is great, but it either comes from a 3+ roll from a 170 point model (aka, it always fails on the turns you need it the most), or it comes from a 6+ cast on a wizard who doesn't get any casting buffs outside of one specific subfaction (aka, it always fails/is unbound on the turns you need it the most).  Additionally, that full re-roll buff is going to affect 1, maybe 2 units per turn, but your units are priced as if they are expecting those buffs to be on all of them every turn, which just isn't the case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, j0lt said:

What's your thoughts on a block of marauders? As the pseudo "hammer" or would you rather keep your knights?

Definitely having a warshrine, cant wait to get one converted up.

Not been this motivated to get a table ready army despite Papa Nurgle blessing the world!

Running Marauders would likely make it stronger. Either for Knights OR Warriors.

• Like 1

A few people (myself included) have discussed magnetizing Chaos Warriors, how to get a Musician and Standard Bearer into the new 2019 Start Collecting monopose guys, and the head size comparison between the new and old Chaos Warriors.

I've finished the modeling/converting/magnetizing of my 15 man Chaos Warrior squad (10 new, 5 old) and have written up an article with a bunch of photos to help others.

Here is a link to my article with the full description and lots of high res pics.

https://steamforge.net/wiki/index.php/Age_of_Sigmar:_Slaves_to_Darkness:_Start_Collecting_Box_Magnetization_%26_Conversion

Spoiler alert: Bloodreaver heads (plus some knife work and green stuff) work well as Chaos Warrior head replacements.

I'll update the article and post back once I've done the Knights.

See below for some teaser photos.  The 1st pic shows (from left to right): a new Warrior with his stock new head, a new Warrior with a Bloodreaver head, an old Warrior with a Bloodreaver head, and an old Warrior with his stock old head.800px-Chaos_Warrior_Old_vs_New.jpg.1799d3a02ec36b646956153ce918c3b0.jpg

800px-Bloodreaver_helm_3.jpg.353eebead2ff1e5285da748f6d64ef0e.jpg800px-New_musician.jpg.6c2429ab39b949e5b515c73889cc2c0a.jpg800px-New_standard_1.jpg.6c0d53e01b00d57cce700e535f4c53d4.jpg

Edited by begleysm
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the Feedback!

I currently have a weird cycle going on with the book:

1. Find a list or approach that looks cool
  2. Play a Game
  3. Get smashed by my opponent without beeing able to do anything at all
  4. Browse the book, check the other Faction I just lost against for weakness points for next game
  5. Get frustrated as other armies simply offer so much more rulewise
  6. Get back into painting, take break, ask around the community what I can do better
  7. Repreat from 1.

Each cycle makes me hate this book a bit more and loose the fun about the game. Yesterday I played against Seraphon. Coalescend negated any Damage I had around from my Nurgle Mark, my Daemon Princes were useless with 1 Damage. Instead I faced an army with global buffed unbinds wich simply negated all my magic, tons of command points so I couldn´t even attempt to break their morale and Spells that could simply do Mortals to several units without any range restriction. Also, seeing that a 200pts hero on carnosaur does flat damage 5 made me even see Archaon as useless~ You See I am somewhere around in Stage 5/6 of my cycle again~

Thanks for all your Feedback, I guess I will try some Bloodreavers as Marauders next time, maybe paired with a bunch of Khorne Allies and Khorne Marks

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

2. Play a Game
  4. Browse the book, check the other Faction I just lost against for weakness points for next game
  6. Get back into painting, take break, ask around the community what I can do better
  7. Repreat from 1.

Each cycle makes me hate this book a bit more and loose the fun about the game. Yesterday I played against Seraphon. Coalescend negated any Damage I had around from my Nurgle Mark, my Daemon Princes were useless with 1 Damage. Instead I faced an army with global buffed unbinds wich simply negated all my magic, tons of command points so I couldn´t even attempt to break their morale and Spells that could simply do Mortals to several units without any range restriction. Also, seeing that a 200pts hero on carnosaur does flat damage 5 made me even see Archaon as useless~ You See I am somewhere around in Stage 5/6 of my cycle again~

Thanks for all your Feedback, I guess I will try some Bloodreavers as Marauders next time, maybe paired with a bunch of Khorne Allies and Khorne Marks

Same!

though I am still having fun with this book. I guess a simple points update or FAQ which loosens up some restrictions (heroes for mark abilities) will fix this.

Archaon is very good for his points. Currently we suffer from overcosting and too many restrictions which puts us at a handicap while being outnumbered and outdamaged.

=}

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

2. Play a Game
  7. Repreat from 1.

Unfortunately S2D are not good as a traditional Warriors of Chaos army, they're competitive builds are and look quite gamey. Recently I've been making my HoS army less well HoS like, and more like an army and it is starting to function very well. My suggestion is find the God you like and use their book.

I think undivided might have some spoiler builds be it's still pretty meh. Book is at around AoS1 levels, which is bad considering we are nearing the end of AoS2.

Archaon is not good for his points in S2D but he is acceptably priced in the god armies. Even then he could come down 100 points.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, Charleston said:

Thanks, it is uplifting that other share the toughts but still don´t give up on the faction! :)

I don’t know what type of list you are playing - but I would  guess it is warrior heavy (from your feeling that the book is useless). Try Be’lake, 2-3 units of marauders, the Gaunt summoner, Khorne DP and the Sorcerer Lords (both varieties) and then add some allies (the blue scribe for example) and you should really start feeling that the army definitely can compete. I currently have loads of success with both Despoilers and Cabal, defiantly not overpowered but I have faced very competitive builds and don’t feel like it is game over from the beginning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NJohansson said:

I don’t know what type of list you are playing - but I would  guess it is warrior heavy (from your feeling that the book is useless). Try Be’lake, 2-3 units of marauders, the Gaunt summoner, Khorne DP and the Sorcerer Lords (both varieties) and then add some allies (the blue scribe for example) and you should really start feeling that the army definitely can compete. I currently have loads of success with both Despoilers and Cabal, defiantly not overpowered but I have faced very competitive builds and don’t feel like it is game over from the beginning.

Ideed most of my Lists are quite Warrior Centric. I try to use ~15 Warriors of Nurgle, buffed with Warshrine and Harbringer of Decay to get an Anvil that provides me with a load of rerollable hits. The whole thing is supported by Knights and Daemon Princes to lock some enemies down or do some impact damage. The Sorcerer Lord + Lord of Chaos+ Sorcerer on Manticore are also a core in my lists.

I am about to try the Gaunt Summoner, althrough I have to buy the model yet. Same for Belakor. How are your guys feeling about the Cursling? 160pts for 2 casts/dispells with a buff on dispelling, the ability to learn spells from the enemy and access to Tzeentch Endless Spells looks quite nice to me

23 hours ago, NJohansson said:

Curious to your uses on Blue Scribes?

i saw someone else post BS in their list....but their list was Be’lakor and 2 Slaanesh marked Karkadraks with BS? I forgot to comment and ask why it was there :)

I think BS would be great in a Tzeentch Cabal list, but other than that don’t really see a use? Enlighten me please :)