AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

On 5/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, Challenge said:

I would say 2 on foot and 1 on manticore. This way you should always have any sorcerers available you will ever need. Never seen or used 3 or more sorcerers on foot or 2 sorcerers on manticore.

At Sunday I played against StD with my Ogor Mawtribes. My Friend had two Sorcerers on foot and one on Manticore. The scorcerers on foot didn't had much impact on the game the Sorcerer on Manticore might be imo pointwise expensive but it hurt me like hell and lasted a long time until round 5. I think this is not only a great model but also a very good one with a cool spell.

1 hour ago, Homer72 said:

At Sunday I played against StD with my Ogor Mawtribes. My Friend had two Sorcerers on foot and one on Manticore. The scorcerers on foot didn't had much impact on the game the Sorcerer on Manticore might be imo pointwise expensive but it hurt me like hell and lasted a long time until round 5. I think this is not only a great model but also a very good one with a cool spell.

What were the two of you running? I'm curious because I wouldve figured it'd be thr other way around. The manticore sorceror's spell is excellent at clearing hordes, but a big investment over the normal sorcerors who have a great spell themselves, plus share the orracular Visions ability with the manticore mounted one. 

People tend to really underestimate the damage of the Sorcerer on Manticore. The rider has still a D3 Damage profile while the mount can go nuts on many targets. When playing STD I prefer him over the Chaos Lord on Manticore. Tides change when playing Khorne and getting access to the sweet gorecleaver and hew the foe combo

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Charleston said:

People tend to really underestimate the damage of the Sorcerer on Manticore. The rider has still a D3 Damage profile while the mount can go nuts on many targets. When playing STD I prefer him over the Chaos Lord on Manticore. Tides change when playing Khorne and getting access to the sweet gorecleaver and hew the foe combo

I've soured on S2D for the time being, or at least on the sections of the army I actually want to use, but I would agree with this from my experiences trying to get it to work. Sorc Lord on Manticore can do some work in combat.

Any model exceeds expectations when expectations are next to nothing. Realistically, you're doing 6 damage to a 4+ save in combat. Sorc lord on manticore's value is in its warscroll spell and capacity as a more durable and faster platform for orracular Vision. 

Who knows when Slaves will get their next book.

5 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I've soured on S2D for the time being, or at least on the sections of the army I actually want to use

Looking at the gravelords and stormcast rumours, it looks like AoS3 will be an edition with generally more armour. I suspect this will put us in a really difficult place as the strength at Slaves do have are mostly defensive and the meta will shift to more anti-armor choices. On top of this our book is extremely light on rend.

It's a natural part of how the game cycle works but I suspect from here we'll see Slaves slip further and further down the rankings until we get a new book update.

Silver lining is it's a very popular faction and we get a lot of mini-updates with other releases so we probably won't have to wait as long as others, like our poor poor chaos bovine friends.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, Rors said:

Looking at the gravelords and stormcast rumours, it looks like AoS3 will be an edition with generally more armour. I suspect this will put us in a really difficult place as the strength at Slaves do have are mostly defensive and the meta will shift to more anti-armor choices. On top of this our book is extremely light on rend.

It's a natural part of how the game cycle works but I suspect from here we'll see Slaves slip further and further down the rankings until we get a new book update.

Silver lining is it's a very popular faction and we get a lot of mini-updates with other releases so we probably won't have to wait as long as others, like our poor poor chaos bovine friends.

It is rumored and almost confirmed that the warscrols are not compatible with 3.0

So maybe something like strength/toughness is reintroduced. And we actually become the strong mele army we are supposed to be.

But who am i kidding.... most likely they will remove rend and put us on 5+ armor

I highly doubt we will see the return of strength and toughness in AOS. That system certainly has its place with its own strengths and weaknesses but I think having fixed hit and wound characteristics is as much a feature of AOS as the double turn. 

Apart from having to rewrite every single warscroll in the game, bringing it back would (rightly or wrongly) add a further layer of complexity to the rules which have already become substantially more bloated then their original 4 pages and I dont think thats what the AOS design team is gong for.

With AOS3 seeing armies receive an abundance of CP compared to AOS2, I think theres actually an opportunity for Slaves as we have a few heroes with good command abilities but are generally a CP starved army, especially in a Ravagers legion. I guess if you're not running Khorne daemon Princes, chaos lords on foot/mount/karkadrak and/or Ravagers then the extra CP wont mean too much. But being able to use the chaos lord's fight twice ability on multiple units a turn should go some way towards boosting our melee output.

Also with the new charge reactions, being able to hold fast against a charge with 3+ rerolling save chaos warriors should be fun (2+ save if they are nurgle marked with the warshrine buff). At least warriors will have an even more defined role as an anvil.

46 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys about new Legion of the demon prince on broken realms belakor book , can I benefit from aura of the slaves to darkness book? 

The aura is an Allegiance ability, so you get it if and only if you are taking a slaves to darkness army.

8 hours ago, Challenge said:

Source?

GW stated that books will be compatible.

but your existing battletomes will work just as well as they always have. In fact, the new edition has been designed around the current books to give you the most seamless transition possible.

And I saw many, many rumors and none of them were about warscrolls obsolescence. There is nothing that would point to such outcome as @Kurrilino is claiming

2 hours ago, Boar said:

GW stated that books will be compatible.

And I saw many, many rumors and none of them were about warscrolls obsolescence. There is nothing that would point to such outcome as @Kurrilino is claiming

Actually i don't claim anything.

I just quoted some guys from the rumor forum who quoted the guys that leaked the 3.0 core rules.

I have absolutely no insight at all. Strength/Toughness was just an uneducated guess why a warscroll would be incompatible.

Sorry if that was missleading to some people.

I just want to point out that the article BOAR posted here, is ticking basically all boxes of this rumor.

I am also suspicious about the wording regading the battletomes.

The easiest way to say would be: No changes to Battletomes. But they say... yeah you kinda can play the books but that doesn't mean there won't be updates to them and there will be a transition

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:01 AM, Rors said:

The other silver lining is that +/- to hit, wound and saves are being capped at 1. So our somewhat prevalent feature of re-rolls that is sometimes derided and that we only have a few sources of straight up numerical buffs looks to be the "sweet spot" for AoS3.

Looking at the new Gravelords stuff, nearly all of the buffs are straight up numerical increases. So they were made with AoS3 in mind.  

At the very least I assume that means all the warscrolls would be updated ASAP, lets us see what we're getting immediately with 3.0 instead of having to wait for a tome. (Although I imagine a tome would be taken as an opportunity for further updates).

Yes, they've said that the double is staying already. Furthermore, they said that 3.0 has been written to be compatible with current battletomes. I dont see them revising every single warscroll to include strength and toughness. As @SpiritofHokuto said, Soulblight mustve been written with 3.0 in mind, so we can likely take some cues from where they are going at design wise from that book. 

Anyone have any experience/advice on running large blocks of warriors?

I picked up a bunch of second hand warriors for cheap and I'm wondering what the most efficient way to run them might be.

I'm leaning towards two blocks of 20 undivided with Be'lakor as the general in a Despoilers list. An 18 inch aura should be enough that I can keep both units in range on two objectives. That's 40 wounds on each objective with a 4+ resellable, 5+ mortal shrug, and 6+ after save that's battle shock immune. They're cheaper than Mortek guard and provide a very similar role.

Guys a question about Legion of first Prince,  I an enemy unit do a wound on belakor , i try use " first damned prince "rules and on 4+ i reflect wound on plaguebearers.  Can they benefit from " infernal realmwalkers " 6+ fnp? Or I allocate wound on them without throw the dice? Thx alot!!

On 5/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, Rors said:

Anyone have any experience/advice on running large blocks of warriors?

I picked up a bunch of second hand warriors for cheap and I'm wondering what the most efficient way to run them might be.

I'm leaning towards two blocks of 20 undivided with Be'lakor as the general in a Despoilers list. An 18 inch aura should be enough that I can keep both units in range on two objectives. That's 40 wounds on each objective with a 4+ resellable, 5+ mortal shrug, and 6+ after save that's battle shock immune. They're cheaper than Mortek guard and provide a very similar role.

For me, Chaos Warriors are best on a 3+ rerollable save. There are two ways to achieve that: Either, play the in a Khorne army and give them the +1 save prayer or play them as Nurgle warriors. The Warshrine can buff their save by one with the Nurgle prayer. The best way to field them is as Nurgle Warriors with the Shrine buff and included i a Plaguetouched Warband, so that they bounce Mortal Wounds on the enemy while being too sturdy to die.